Darlington FC V Kidderminster

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Kidderminster

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:14 pm

The ovation was not only for the team but also those volunteer fans who sorted the covers and ensured the pitch was playable. Well done, all round :clap:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 pm

The pitch looked surprisingly good and played pretty well. Thought Kidderminster were very disappointing, they certainly have mastered how to pass the ball along the back line and then back the other way. :D

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Funny how you can view matches differently. I didn’t think Wheatley, Syers or Thommo had particularly good matches until the subs were made. Not because they played badly, but because the way Kidderminster played stopped them. Once the subs were made and Kiddy went for it, the game opened up and Syers and Thompson found the space they hadn’t earlier in the game. With Gillies coming on the three of them then became really dangerous and changed the game.

Heaton played very well, but I thought Trotman was excellent. I haven’t thought he’s been quite as good as others have in previous matches, but yesterday he really shone in defense. For all Kiddy knocked the ball around from side to side, most of the time it ended up on their left. Trotman kept them at bay for most of the game and the only time he didn’t was when he was left on his own because Thommo hadn’t got back.

Just one thing about Thommo, his upturn in form started immediately after Gray left. I can remember in the first home game Turnbull and Brown were in charge and Thommo went round a defender and got to the byline, thinking that’s the first time I’ve seen him do that in 18 months. So for me credit either goes to Turnbull and Brown for giving him his confidence back, or it was Gray sapping his confidence so much he didn’t feel like he could attack full backs like he used to.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:37 pm

Was Harvey Saunders in midfield yesterday then? And who was on the left flank before Gillies came on?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm

I thought although Kiddie had most of the possession yesterday Darlo had the better chances. However we could have been 2-0 down in the first 10 mins.
After the first 10 mins I though the better of the chances fell to us, and we should have killed the game off in the second half.
I thought Wheatley had a quiet game, and I thought Thommo was quiet for most of the match, as well as Syers, but granted they worked their socks off.
Heaton, Vaulks and Galbrath were superb, and Trottman had a difficult afternoon against their pacey and quick number 10 - but he did very well in limiting the danger.
Turnbull I though was excellent yesterday and its quite amazing that a month ago he was dropped - even Gillies and Scott who came on did well.
When I looked at the team before the match and the bench I would have taken a point as we are down to the bare bones and it does not look like (unless we have any emergencies) we will be signing anyone else this season.
Amazing how we have won 4 out of 5 games yet we sit close to the relegation zone, the Telford result shocked me as I thought they were dropping away - but now some other teams have been brought into the mix.
Looking ahead to next season I very much doubt Heaton will be with us, however Tommy Wright looks as though he has an eye for a player as all the players he has brought in so far have done really well - so I have faith that he will be able to bring in some replacements in the summer.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:49 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Fantastic standing ovation for the team at the end. Gramps still want TW to be sacked?
Since he started listening to me, he's doing ok.

So long as he keeps taking notice of my criticisms, he'll be grand.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:55 pm

AndyPark wrote:Same old s*** from you Gramps, it’s boring.

Wanna talk about any issues you have with me, I’ll be at the curzon game.
Nah, I'm going to continue giving you stick for it on here.

As long as you call misogyny and paedo chants "banter", people will rightly give you grief.

You can end this any time you like. But it requires you to grow a backbone.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 pm

I can’t even be arsed with you.

It’s boring me. Enjoy the 3 points and get a grip.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:31 pm

AndyPark wrote:I can’t even be arsed with you.

Andy, are you a feminist?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Here he comes.

Zzzz.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:05 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Amazing how we have won 4 out of 5 games yet we sit close to the relegation zone, the Telford result shocked me as I thought they were dropping away - but now some other teams have been brought into the mix.
My thoughts too! If we had lost yesterday we would still be right in it, it's bonkers.

Looking at the form table, for the last 6 played we are 6th (York 17th :D ) yet after all this effort we remain only 5 points from the dreaded drop zone.

I thought we played great yesterday. The way we broke the game up and stopped them playing to their strengths was most un-Darlo like and very impressive, I wonder if Tommy has been taking in a few of their games as he lives down that way.

A fantastic, unexpected three points :clap: :clap: :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 pm

AndyPark wrote:I can’t even be arsed with you.

Then why do you keep replying?

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 am

Gray did well for us in previous seasons, but this season he lost the plot, off-field and playing long ball, with no Mark Beck or equivalent up front. Darlo players took some time to get out of Gray's tactical rut.
Tommy has gradually brought in quicker and smarter players that complement our best midfield players. Thommo, Wheatley, Gillies and Turnbull now have more space and opportunities to the team attacking.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season, especially with the introduction of younger players and a glimmer of a chance to reach the play-offs.

A good run in would do wonders for our club, that had "supposedly" lost its star manager and 3 best players. The new stand is one sign of how our fans kept faith in the club and with our rejuvenated and revitalised squad the faith is now being re-paid.

Darlo are now in a position to refuse offers for players, or get very good transfer fees, most likely from clubs in higher leagues. We may even now cut a dash in the two cups......

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 am

I spoke to Harry Dunn on Saturday noticed he was still wearing Darlo tracky bottoms, I said jokingly hey Harry isn’t it about time you got some York ones, he laughed opened his waterproof to reveal the Darlo top as well, he said naw these fit better . :D

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Gray did well for us in previous seasons, but this season he lost the plot, off-field and playing long ball, with no Mark Beck or equivalent up front. Darlo players took some time to get out of Gray's tactical rut.
Tommy has gradually brought in quicker and smarter players that complement our best midfield players. Thommo, Wheatley, Gillies and Turnbull now have more space and opportunities to the team attacking.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season, especially with the introduction of younger players and a glimmer of a chance to reach the play-offs.

A good run in would do wonders for our club, that had "supposedly" lost its star manager and 3 best players. The new stand is one sign of how our fans kept faith in the club and with our rejuvenated and revitalised squad the faith is now being re-paid.

Darlo are now in a position to refuse offers for players, or get very good transfer fees, most likely from clubs in higher leagues. We may even now cut a dash in the two cups......
Just when I was starting to believe & agree with you, those crazy ideas of refusing offers and putting a cup run in spoilt it! :wave:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

Just watched the highlights which were great and extremely professional, it's a lot better with the commentary from Darlo Fans Radio alongside the film. Thought Turnbull played a couple of sublime passes which cane over really well. He doesn't really get the credit for a lot of his play. In the lead up to our winning goal, Styche made a great tackle in the centre of the park to start our attack. Styche puts in a tremendous amount of effort. I was sceptical when TW made him captain, but he leads by example and I'm really pleased to have been proven wrong.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:45 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Fantastic standing ovation for the team at the end. Gramps still want TW to be sacked?
I'm sure he's probably changed his mind - 4 wins and 2 draws in 7 games compared to 1 win and 1 draw in 10 games will do that.

We've got an excellent opportunity with our remaining 10 games to get a decent tally of points. I think something like 15-20.

Spread across his whole tenure that would give us something like 35-40 points which is respectable without being outstanding and would still have the jury out for me going into next season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Thoughts on Saturdays game:
-I've been one of the fans, hoping that we wouldn't play Vaulks because I thought fans have over hyped him a bit. But I have to say he did very well. He looks a bit stockier than last time we saw him. I still think I'd have one of our first teamers in first. Then if we get safe then the likes of Vaulks, Glover etc can get some game time
-We defended well as a team. I think we accepted early on that they'd have a lot of the ball, but too often they went side to side or backwards. Need and tidy but not a great amount of penetration.
-Pears will learn from his mistake. He was never going to be beaten if he'd stayed on his line.
-One negative - the delivery from set pieces was very poor. Not sure what's happened with Terry's delivery, but it's a fraction of what it used to be like. Even from the right footers was poor. Need to keep teams under pressure and we let them off too often

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm

quakerste wrote:1427. Probably one of the best atmospheres since we moved to BM. Thought the noise from the tin shed today was excellent.
New stand makes it look more like a proper ground so think it will only get better

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 am

D_F_C wrote:Thoughts on Saturdays game:
-I've been one of the fans, hoping that we wouldn't play Vaulks because I thought fans have over hyped him a bit. But I have to say he did very well. He looks a bit stockier than last time we saw him. I still think I'd have one of our first teamers in first. Then if we get safe then the likes of Vaulks, Glover etc can get some game time
-We defended well as a team. I think we accepted early on that they'd have a lot of the ball, but too often they went side to side or backwards. Need and tidy but not a great amount of penetration.
-Pears will learn from his mistake. He was never going to be beaten if he'd stayed on his line.
-One negative - the delivery from set pieces was very poor. Not sure what's happened with Terry's delivery, but it's a fraction of what it used to be like. Even from the right footers was poor. Need to keep teams under pressure and we let them off too often
Spot on. We did very poorly with set pieces in their half and it is something TW can work on with Wheatley, Galbraith, Gillies & Mills (not to mention Styche on penalties - apology accepted Reece)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:23 pm

jjljks wrote:
Spot on. We did very poorly with set pieces in their half and it is something TW can work on with Wheatley, Galbraith, Gillies & Mills (not to mention Styche on penalties - apology accepted Reece)
Ironically our first came from a set piece! The comment is correct though, the delivery on most of them was poor.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:46 pm

loan_star wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Ironically our first came from a set piece! The comment is correct though, the delivery on most of them was poor.
Ha yes I forgot about that. Arguably it came more from the keeper error that the quality of the cross (which was just a loft in)