Vaulks

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Vaulks

Post by jjljks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:38 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:if we don't have a centre back on the bench, then Vaulks should be on the bench. For such a crucial position, not to have cover on the bench is a serious mistake.
Agreed, the cover we have on the bench is a bit thin at the moment. Happily, Heaton has emerged as a talented CB, O'Hanlon slotted well into LB with his pace, Galbraith back from injury and Trotman doing simple things well so we have managed to get some clean sheets! Well done TW & team, but let us bring Vaulks back for the run in :thumbup:

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 am

jjljks wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:if we don't have a centre back on the bench, then Vaulks should be on the bench. For such a crucial position, not to have cover on the bench is a serious mistake.
Agreed, the cover we have on the bench is a bit thin at the moment. Happily, Heaton has emerged as a talented CB, O'Hanlon slotted well into LB with his pace, Galbraith back from injury and Trotman doing simple things well so we have managed to get some clean sheets! Well done TW & team, but let us bring Vaulks back for the run in :thumbup:
So what do you two think Gary Brown is then?.A five foot two winger?.
And if Vaulks was on the bench you’d be whining we didn’t have a keeper or a winger or a kitman or some bugger else. :roll:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:35 am

To be fair, Pete wrote that before O'Hanlon made his debut for us and we were lining up with Heaton, Brown, Galbraith all playing.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Brown has been a great servant to the club with his fire and enthusiasm, not to mention his ability to deliver long throws into the box. However, he is not as quick as he used to be and doesn't read the game as well as he could. Sometimes gets caught out of position which results in giving the opposition chances and his distribution is not great, so he gives away possession. Too many cards and now there are youngsters coming through who are serious competition. Not questioning his commitment to the club, in fact he probably deserves a testimonial at least for helping us to get where we are today, however looking to the future, TW must be thinking of Heaton & Vaulks ahead in selection for CB spot.

darlo999

Post by darlo999 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:06 am

jjljks wrote:Brown has been a great servant to the club with his fire and enthusiasm, not to mention his ability to deliver long throws into the box. However, he is not as quick as he used to be and doesn't read the game as well as he could. Sometimes gets caught out of position which results in giving the opposition chances and his distribution is not great, so he gives away possession. Too many cards and now there are youngsters coming through who are serious competition. Not questioning his commitment to the club, in fact he probably deserves a testimonial at least for helping us to get where we are today, however looking to the future, TW must be thinking of Heaton & Vaulks ahead in selection for CB spot.
Couldn't agree anymore! Unfortunately, Brown has become more and more a liability and we have to move on, if we want to get out of this league.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 am

darlo999 wrote:
jjljks wrote:Brown has been a great servant to the club with his fire and enthusiasm, not to mention his ability to deliver long throws into the box. However, he is not as quick as he used to be and doesn't read the game as well as he could. Sometimes gets caught out of position which results in giving the opposition chances and his distribution is not great, so he gives away possession. Too many cards and now there are youngsters coming through who are serious competition. Not questioning his commitment to the club, in fact he probably deserves a testimonial at least for helping us to get where we are today, however looking to the future, TW must be thinking of Heaton & Vaulks ahead in selection for CB spot.
Couldn't agree anymore! Unfortunately, Brown has become more and more a liability and we have to move on, if we want to get out of this league.
Brown a liability? Give your head a shake. Maybe not an automatic first choice now but to say he’s a liability is an insult to the lad.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 am

Disagree about Gary Brown, still good enough IMO and would keep him but Tommy will have 4 centre halves plus Tezz and Chris Hunter so surprised if he does not move someone on.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:30 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Disagree about Gary Brown, still good enough IMO and would keep him but Tommy will have 4 centre halves plus Tezz and Chris Hunter so surprised if he does not move someone on.

I'd say Galbraith is considered a centre half these days.

There's every chance someone might come in with an offer for Heaton over the summer remember, so we may be back to four anyway (Brown, Collins, Vaulks and Galbraith).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 am

Brown has been a very good player for us over the years. In the crucial playoff semi against Spennymoor he was our key player.

I think he looks a bit jaded at present, and I reckon that the big bang on the head he got whilst playing for us hasn't helped.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:57 am

Brown is good enough as cover. However, since his concussion injury I don't think he has been at the same standard as he was which is a concern. It's not just his ability but his health has to be also of consideration longer term.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:16 am

It's great that we have a plethora of decent centre halfs, something we've not had for quite a while. I wouldn't put Browny out into the long grass, he's got plenty to offer and he is a great leader.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:It's great that we have a plethora of decent centre halfs, something we've not had for quite a while. I wouldn't put Browny out into the long grass, he's got plenty to offer and he is a great leader.
Totally agree Pete, Browny is a leader and teams need this and we have always had a few in our team over the past 6 years and what Tommy keeps referring to.

stayhigh13

Post by stayhigh13 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 am

I think Brown is a bit underated as a footballer. I'm not saying he doesn't have limitations because he certainly does. But, if you watch him play he's actually very competent with the ball; always plays on the left side, reliable weak foot, hits a good diagonal with intent, you don't see many centre halves around this level with all those capabilities. I think he's still more than reliable. just needs to adjust a little bit as he tried to dominate so much, which he did in the evo-stik and northern league to good effect.

Also, good to see Vaulks have an assured first start in the last game. Hope he gets enough game time to see him develop into a really good asset for us!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm

There've always been fans who've questioned Brown. I remember a year or two ago, when he was being used at right back, people suggested we should be looking for someone better.
Perhaps it's because he came up from the Northern League, so is perceived to have reached a limit.

But I think the leadership, motivation and strength of personality he offers, particularly in defence, would be greatly missed if he wasn't there. I don't see who out of our current defenders could bring that to the table, on the level Brown does.

Yes he has his limitations, but everything else he offers compensates for that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Darlogramps wrote:There've always been fans who've questioned Brown. I remember a year or two ago, when he was being used at right back, people suggested we should be looking for someone better.
Perhaps it's because he came up from the Northern League, so is perceived to have reached a limit.

But I think the leadership, motivation and strength of personality he offers, particularly in defence, would be greatly missed if he wasn't there. I don't see who out of our current defenders could bring that to the table, on the level Brown does.

I'm glad we agree on something Gramps!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:09 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:There've always been fans who've questioned Brown. I remember a year or two ago, when he was being used at right back, people suggested we should be looking for someone better.

I'm glad we agree on something Gramps!
Agree with you both. A year or two ago people were quick to jump on Browns back while sticking up for Burgess. Brown has outlasted Burgess at this level.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:07 pm

I think it's fair to say he might not be an automatic choice, but there's no way I would consider him at this stage to be past it. I do agree with the fact that his head injury seems like it's had an impact, but I would never ever question this guys commitment

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:41 pm

I had Brown > Burgess to be honest due to mobility more than anything.

Not gonna lie I've been a Brown sceptic, my concern with him is at this level if you give the ball away cheaply you get punished and he just doesn't have the range of passing to retain it. I also believe his 'last ditch' style of play was indicative of him being out of position in the first place to had to recover - again at this level the number of clips which seemed to appear where Brown was mid chasing back.

Look he is clearly a good leader and a good personality around the club and a good reserve CB but stand by my opinion from the beginning of last season that he is not good enough as a first choice CB in this division.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:I had Brown > Burgess to be honest due to mobility more than anything.

Not gonna lie I've been a Brown sceptic, my concern with him is at this level if you give the ball away cheaply you get punished and he just doesn't have the range of passing to retain it. I also believe his 'last ditch' style of play was indicative of him being out of position in the first place to had to recover - again at this level the number of clips which seemed to appear where Brown was mid chasing back.

Look he is clearly a good leader and a good personality around the club and a good reserve CB but stand by my opinion from the beginning of last season that he is not good enough as a first choice CB in this division.
He has a great range of passing for a centre back, can't count the amount of long range passes I've seen him play to our wingers...Image

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Fair points about potential offers on Heaton & also on Brown's concussion. He does lead the defence by example but would hate to see him go like Jeff Astle and having watched the program that Alan Shearer did about the dangers from heading the ball....
TW needs to have options and GB needs to be happy with his squad role as well as his own health & fitness.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 pm

I probably make a distinction between territory balls and long passes. Brown plays to territory and at levels below NLN we would often get throw ins / corners from it.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:55 pm

stayhigh13 wrote:I think Brown is a bit underated as a footballer. I'm not saying he doesn't have limitations because he certainly does. But, if you watch him play he's actually very competent with the ball; always plays on the left side, reliable weak foot, hits a good diagonal with intent, you don't see many centre halves around this level with all those capabilities. I think he's still more than reliable. just needs to adjust a little bit as he tried to dominate so much, which he did in the evo-stik and northern league to good effect.

Also, good to see Vaulks have an assured first start in the last game. Hope he gets enough game time to see him develop into a really good asset for us!

This. Brown's distribution is no worse than Collins or Heaton. It's better than Hunter's. Haven't seen enough of Vaulks to comment. To say he is a liability is ludicrous.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm

jjljks wrote: watched the program that Alan Shearer did about the dangers from heading the ball.....
was that not more from heading water sodden old style footballs? am no doctor, but would think the risk has lessened quite a bit given today's lighter footballs.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Those old leather lace up casies! You could take the inner out and repair it. They were so heavy when it was wet, like heading a lump of wood.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I think Brown is a bit underated as a footballer. I'm not saying he doesn't have limitations because he certainly does. But, if you watch him play he's actually very competent with the ball; always plays on the left side, reliable weak foot, hits a good diagonal with intent, you don't see many centre halves around this level with all those capabilities. I think he's still more than reliable. just needs to adjust a little bit as he tried to dominate so much, which he did in the evo-stik and northern league to good effect.

This. Brown's distribution is no worse than Collins or Heaton. It's better than Hunter's. Haven't seen enough of Vaulks to comment. To say he is a liability is ludicrous.
Here here well said.. FFS I'm sick of people singling out Browny all the time as the one to make way because they think he is not good enough, yes we have some promising youngsters but who's to say Heaton won't get snapped up in summer, Browny is in the same situation as Hunter who's to say he won't come back better or worse after his injuryImage

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:31 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
jjljks wrote: watched the program that Alan Shearer did about the dangers from heading the ball.....
was that not more from heading water sodden old style footballs? am no doctor, but would think the risk has lessened quite a bit given today's lighter footballs.
Partly true, but partly due to the repetitive training drills used in the modern game. A lighter ball also means that it travels at a higher velocity, so the overall energy which is transferred is probably same if not higher

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 am

jjljks wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Partly true, but partly due to the repetitive training drills used in the modern game. A lighter ball also means that it travels at a higher velocity, so the overall energy which is transferred is probably same if not higher
So you reckon being hit on the head by a balloon at 30 mph is the same as being hit by a brick at 10 mph .Interesting. :eh:
Brownys problem is more to do with clashing heads and flying elbows.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 am

Emdubya wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
So you reckon being hit on the head by a balloon at 30 mph is the same as being hit by a brick at 10 mph .Interesting. :eh:
Brownys problem is more to do with clashing heads and flying elbows.
He's not saying that exactly, but yes in principle, force = mass x acceleration, so the at some point, a balloon travelling at a certain speed will cause just as much damage as a brick travelling at slower speed.

DC