Northern Premier League Announcements

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Northern Premier League Announcements

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 am

So I am hearing that at a meeting yesterday clubs were told FA putting a new rule that if you refuse promotion you will be automatically relegated by the FA moving forwards.

I assume this applies to Step 5 and the Northern League. I do wonder if that will start to reduce the inflated salaries in that division as there is no point building an FA Vase winning squad if it could cost you relegation...

If salaries aren't inflated in the NL does that reduce that north east 'bubble' - could be beneficial to us.

Quakerz

Re: Northern Premier League Announcements

Post by Quakerz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 am

I don't really see it being that beneficial because we are some way above the NL now - would we really want to build a team from current NLers? How many are good enough to play at this level?

Yes there may be the odd youngster with potential at that level (see Vaulks) but in those cases wages are less likely to be an issue if the kid still thinks he can get somewhere in the game.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:32 am

FA have probably got themselves in a knot as usual. Surely if you don't want promotion you just remove some seats/turnstiles etc. Admittedly you might have to play until 31st March and then be relegated. Guess the easy answer is just lose all your last few games if you are in danger of gaining a promotion you don't want. Another unexpected consequence could be a big change in NL makeup. If the NL is as strong as it claims (and Vase results do seem to bear this out) a team coming down would almost certainly be from out of region. Even if they geographically alter the divisions so that a team coming down from S Yorkshire goes into NCEL and the shift a team from N Yorks into NL then teams such as Harrogate RA could end up in NL. Given resources of teams at this level the relatively massive increase in travel costs could send them to the wall.
Not that I would expect the FA to have thought this (or anything else!) through.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 am

This rule could force some clubs out of business in the NL, as they won't want or can't afford to get promoted. It'll be interesting to see if some clubs from the Evostick North league get placed into the NL. Movement has nearly always been upwards.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:This rule could force some clubs out of business in the NL, as they won't want or can't afford to get promoted. It'll be interesting to see if some clubs from the Evostick North league get placed into the NL. Movement has nearly always been upwards.
Then they won't finish top and won't go up. No problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:So I am hearing that at a meeting yesterday clubs were told FA putting a new rule that if you refuse promotion you will be automatically relegated by the FA moving forwards.

I assume this applies to Step 5 and the Northern League. I do wonder if that will start to reduce the inflated salaries in that division as there is no point building an FA Vase winning squad if it could cost you relegation...

If salaries aren't inflated in the NL does that reduce that north east 'bubble' - could be beneficial to us.
Are you sure you "heard" this correctly. FA website has an update of "promotion applicants" for clubs operating at Steps 6 & 7. Would have thought any changes at other levels might have been mentioned here? Possible relegation seems a bit draconian doesn't it?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:This rule could force some clubs out of business in the NL, as they won't want or can't afford to get promoted. It'll be interesting to see if some clubs from the Evostick North league get placed into the NL. Movement has nearly always been upwards.
Then they won't finish top and won't go up. No problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Are you implying that some clubs will deliberately attempt to win the title and automatic promotion? :D Someone has to win the NL, so someone is going to be very disappointed as they get promoted!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:35 pm

bga wrote:Are you sure you "heard" this correctly. FA website has an update of "promotion applicants" for clubs operating at Steps 6 & 7. Would have thought any changes at other levels might have been mentioned here? Possible relegation seems a bit draconian doesn't it?
https://twitter.com/joebillgibbo/status ... 31200?s=21

From what I believe was an attendee at the meeting "Also interesting to hear definitively that if a club finishes in a promotion position and declines they will be relegated by the FA."

Step 5 is NL right rather than 6&7?

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 pm

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:Are you sure you "heard" this correctly. FA website has an update of "promotion applicants" for clubs operating at Steps 6 & 7. Would have thought any changes at other levels might have been mentioned here? Possible relegation seems a bit draconian doesn't it?

From what I believe was an attendee at the meeting "Also interesting to hear definitively that if a club finishes in a promotion position and declines they will be relegated by the FA."

Your source seemed reliable.........until I noticed he is a Ukulele player, blown all his credibility out the window! However, you may be right. Yep I think NL is Step 5.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:42 pm

bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:So I am hearing that at a meeting yesterday clubs were told FA putting a new rule that if you refuse promotion you will be automatically relegated by the FA moving forwards.

Are you sure you "heard" this correctly. FA website has an update of "promotion applicants" for clubs operating at Steps 6 & 7. Would have thought any changes at other levels might have been mentioned here? Possible relegation seems a bit draconian doesn't it?
Lot's of changes last night.

Evostik 1st will be East/West rather than North/South.
With 4 leagues at Step3 but only 6 promotion spots the four winners go up but the 4 play off winners will then create two super play offs for North v Midlands & Southern v Isthmian matches expected with winners gaining promotion.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Lot's of changes last night.

With 4 leagues at Step3 but only 6 promotion spots the four winners go up but the 4 play off winners will then create two super play offs for North v Midlands & Southern v Isthmian matches expected with winners gaining promotion.
This is the one I couldn't work out. Who are the 4 Step 3 leagues.

EvoStik <- EvoStick East / EvoStick West
Southern Premier League <- Southern Prem South / Southern Prem North
Isthmian League <- Then there are 3 divisions below the Isthmian from what I can gather

Has the Southern Premier League been split at Step 3 also is that what I am missing?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Reports are coming in that four officials involved in the decision have been cornered and pitchforked.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:

Isthmian League <- Then there are 3 divisions below the Isthmian from what I can gather

Has the Southern Premier League been split at Step 3 also is that what I am missing?
Going to be 4 Step 3 leagues rather than the current 3 Step 3 leagues, new Midlands league in theory but administered by the Southern League at first, so they will be running 2 Step 3 Leagues with Isthmian and Northern Premier running one each.

They will also be 7 leagues at Step 4 rather than the current 6. The thought is they will add another league soon, which will make the Pyramid 1(Step1), 2(Step2), 4(Step3), 8(Step4).

http://www.evostikleaguesouthern.co.uk/ ... seas-47185

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/fa-a ... structure/

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 am

bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Your source seemed reliable.........until I noticed he is a Ukulele player, blown all his credibility out the window! However, you may be right. Yep I think NL is Step 5.
NL is indeed Step 5
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Going to be 4 Step 3 leagues rather than the current 3 Step 3 leagues, new Midlands league in theory but administered by the Southern League at first, so they will be running 2 Step 3 Leagues with Isthmian and Northern Premier running one each.

They will also be 7 leagues at Step 4 rather than the current 6. The thought is they will add another league soon, which will make the Pyramid 1(Step1), 2(Step2), 4(Step3), 8(Step4).

http://www.evostikleaguesouthern.co.uk/ ... seas-47185

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/fa-a ... structure/
The Northern League recently put forward a proposal to the FA for them to run an 8th Step 4 League, but was pretty much rejected on the spot

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... _rejected/

From what I have read the FA will be looking at the 8th Step 4 to start play in 2020/21 and will most likely be run by the NPL

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 am

Should generate a lot of thrown league games from the cup run clubs. Typical FA lack of thought if this story is for real.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:

Should generate a lot of thrown league games from the cup run clubs. Typical FA lack of thought if this story is for real.
Neil Johnson wrote:

Yeah be handy if you like a flutter... if you see a team going into a game that they could go top by winning but they don't want to go up, lump on the opposition... :D