Joe Wheatley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Joe Wheatley

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm

So no Joe Wheatley today which is concerning - according to reports he was "rested".

I wonder if he has turned down a new deal or something along those lines - shame if that is so - a win against Tamworth and North Ferriby, which are two very winnable games and we could be on the verge of the playoff picture.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Emdubya

Re: Joe Wheatley

Post by Emdubya » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:53 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:So no Joe Wheatley today which is concerning - according to reports he was "rested".

I wonder if he has turned down a new deal or something along those lines - shame if that is so - a win against Tamworth and North Ferriby, which are two very winnable games and we could be on the verge of the playoff picture.
Nowt like a bit of baseless speculation is there :roll: .Have you considered the lad might be injured.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Emdubya wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:So no Joe Wheatley today which is concerning - according to reports he was "rested".

Nowt like a bit of baseless speculation is there :roll: .Have you considered the lad might be injured.
Heard before the game he wasn't injured - hopefully it was another tactic master stroke
by TW
Greg Norman

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Or, just perhaps, he was actually rested :roll:

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Isn't he going off with England c this week? Although he is a reserve, and I'm not sure it would make any difference - it never did for Ferguson

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:08 pm

It's possible TW decided 3 games in a week may be too much for him, so he's looking to use the squad a bit more. Portas not back yet, so Wheatley and Turnbull our only attacking centre mids. Give Glover some experience to get him into the mix.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:11 pm

He certainly didn't look injured the way he was firing in shots during the warm-up. We missed him today in the middle. They were quite a big, strong, athletic side and we did look a little light at times in midfield against a side like that and on a heavy pitch. The young lad looks a good footballer and he'll benefit from that sort of physical battle against tough opposition. I think he maybe needs a few more outings from the bench to ease him into it although he clearly has potential.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Seems to be a few rumours around that Gray is sniffing around Wheatley.

No idea if any link to him not playing today or if the above is true but as the York fans say they have no midfield then it wouldn't be a total surprise.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Seems to be a few rumours around that Gray is sniffing around Wheatley.

No idea if any link to him not playing today or if the above is true but as the York fans say they have no midfield then it wouldn't be a total surprise.
Would not surprise me in the least.If Gray wants him then let's get a good fee for him but just wonder if he is out of contract soon and has indicated he will not sign another but pure guesswork.If he has had his head turned by the mighty York you cannot really blame him for wanting FT football but cannot stomach Gray...wish he would just do one and sod off.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:44 pm

He is due to play for England C and that was the only reason he didn't play today, sorry to all the conspiracy theorists.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 pm

He's young and has played a lot of games recently. A rest sounds perfectly valid - especially if there's an England C game coming up where, if he does well for himself he may be spotted by a few scouts.

Pressure is easing on us and so we can probably start to think about bigger picture things like this.

As for playoffs, we are relying on an awful lot of yes dropping more points than we do. It's not as simple as saying we are just six points off so a couple of wins will change the picture.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:He is due to play for England C and that was the only reason he didn't play today, sorry to all the conspiracy theorists.
So they rested him for the game on Tuesday 20th, presume he misses our next two matches before that game also?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:He is due to play for England C and that was the only reason he didn't play today, sorry to all the conspiracy theorists.
Hope you are right Pete but surprised that is the reason he was not considered.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Spyman wrote:He's young and has played a lot of games recently. A rest sounds perfectly valid - especially if there's an England C game coming up where, if he does well for himself he may be spotted by a few scouts.

Pressure is easing on us and so we can probably start to think about bigger picture things like this.

As for playoffs, we are relying on an awful lot of yes dropping more points than we do. It's not as simple as saying we are just six points off so a couple of wins will change the picture.

Hopefully he was just rested as he is a good player with a good future in football hopefully.

Playoffs simply won't happen but it's nice to be where we are no rather than where we were 6 weeks ago.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:51 pm

I don't understand 'rested' considering we haven't played for two weeks

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Spyman wrote:He's young and has played a lot of games recently. A rest sounds perfectly valid - especially if there's an England C game coming up where, if he does well for himself he may be spotted by a few scouts.

Agreed, maybe Gilles deserves a run in the team now, if Caton is going to be out injured for a couple of games. Wright has got the basis of a good squad.
Wonder what everyone thinks of Mills? Out of all TW signing's he has impressed the least for me.
Greg Norman

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Seems to be a few rumours around that Gray is sniffing around Wheatley.

Would not surprise me in the least.If Gray wants him then let's get a good fee for him but just wonder if he is out of contract soon and has indicated he will not sign another but pure guesswork.If he has had his head turned by the mighty York you cannot really blame him for wanting FT football but cannot stomach Gray...wish he would just do one and sod off.

He's under contract for next season - it was mentioned when the V9 academy news broke.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Gray is a fan of Wheatley and word was going around after he got the York job that he was coming back for Wheatley. Not surprising given that Gray is having to operate with such a small squad ;)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote: Wonder what everyone thinks of Mills? Out of all TW signing's he has impressed the least for me.
Mills obviously has fitness issues but technically is a good player. Get him fit and he will be good for us. He was very unlucky today not to score.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Agreed - Mills you can tell has ability. Hasn't done fantastically well since joining but has still chipped in with a fair contribution I would say.

Willing to see what shape he comes back in over pre-season before totally writing him off as a poor signing.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 pm

loan_star wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote: Wonder what everyone thinks of Mills? Out of all TW signing's he has impressed the least for me.
Mills obviously has fitness issues but technically is a good player. Get him fit and he will be good for us. He was very unlucky today not to score.
I don't understand this. Given we signed him months ago, I can only presume this means he's carrying a long-term knock that he's managing through until the summer.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:09 am

Mills didn’t have a pre-season and had only played a couple of games before coming here all season. Yes he’s been here a while now but some players are naturally fit and others need a good preparation with a good pre-season being key. I think Mills falls into the latter category. Having seen him a few times for previous clubs on his day he’s as good as anyone in this league. Time will tell how many times we can get him on the pitch playing at that level

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:33 am

It makes some sense to keep some players off the sticky pitch of Saturday and have them on top form for the Artificial pitch on Tuesday. TW knew Tamworth would be rested for the next game, so good tactics to give a few players a rest before we try to beat Tamworth on their surface. Having said that the conspiracy theories are entertaining, so keep them coming. Gray may have less chance of signing more players if they arent being selected, or we may be trying to ensure a top fee by keeping him injury free.....carry on.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:43 pm

YorkMix@theyorkmix

Gray on transfers: We're still looking to strengthen the squad, one unfortunately fell through today but hopefully we will see one more in in the coming weeks #ycfc

Interesting link from the york forum posted out following Gray's pre match press conference. York Missed out on a signing and now Joe Wheatley is available to play tonight. Might not be connected but interesting. Of course MG is not done with signings yet.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

How many signings does he really to make? Ever revolving door that man.

HarrytheQuaker

Joe Wheatley

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 pm

JE93 wrote:YorkMix@theyorkmix

Gray on transfers: We're still looking to strengthen the squad, one unfortunately fell through today but hopefully we will see one more in in the coming weeks #ycfc

Interesting link from the york forum posted out following Gray's pre match press conference. York Missed out on a signing and now Joe Wheatley is available to play tonight. Might not be connected but interesting. Of course MG is not done with signings yet.
When your pushing for promotion then you should never rest on your laurels....
Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

When your pushing for promotion then you should never rest on your lorrals...
Shouldn't rest on your laurels either.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 pm

banktopp wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

When your pushing for promotion then you should never rest on your lorrals...
Shouldn't rest on your laurels either.
According to Cilla you'd get a lorral, lorral laughs by resting on them

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Possibly someone has been sniffing round Glover, and he has an appearances clause in his contract, so it was worth our while to play him ASAP?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Shite no Heaton tonight he must be going to York too