Coming soon - Boost the budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Coming soon - Boost the budget

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 pm

In Johnston's programmes notes today he mentioned we will soon find out about the boost the budget launch which will help prepare a budget for Wright to work with.

Wonder what the general thoughts are of this, those already would you go again, would others join in?

In all honesty I would rather boost Wright's budget than Gray's, he actually looks like he might bring in young players and move them on which benefits DFC and the player, also I am sure he wants a bigger budget but hasn't whinged about it.....yet.

Think I will be in for a few quid to support the budget.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Coming soon - Boost the budget

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Agreed with everything. Is it the end of March when the DD runs out?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 pm

I’ll be chipping in, and I reckon more than I did this season. Partly because of TW, but also because this coming season there isn’t nearly £200k of necessary ground improvements to fund!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 pm

I am in - there was a fair cut in the budget for TW for next year proposed, to help keep us on the financial straight and narrow, so it will be up to us to provide the extra if we want to go for a top 7 place next year. I believe on current evidence that TW is fairly wise on his acquisitions and finances, but may need a touch more than club on our gates are capable of providing without going into debt, plus as has been mentioned we may not have to raise capital for ground improvements next year.

Already looking forward to next year :thumbup:

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 pm

The thing with TW’s transfers are that they are investments with a potential return on investment rather than MG’s policy of throwing money at players and hoping they make an instant impact and if not then they’re released. TW seems to take the time to scout players himself before investing. I’ll certainly be making a contribution.

Out of interest did we ever sell anyone under MG?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:The thing with TW’s transfers are that they are investments with a potential return on investment rather than MG’s policy of throwing money at players and hoping they make an instant impact and if not then they’re released. TW seems to take the time to scout players himself before investing. I’ll certainly be making a contribution.

Yes we did sell under MG such as Andy Johnson, Peter Jameson, think Amar Purewal, normally when Gray had finished with them really and very rarely upwards.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:48 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:The thing with TW’s transfers are that they are investments with a potential return on investment rather than MG’s policy of throwing money at players and hoping they make an instant impact and if not then they’re released. TW seems to take the time to scout players himself before investing. I’ll certainly be making a contribution.

Yes we did sell under MG such as Andy Johnson, Peter Jameson, think Amar Purewal, normally when Gray had finished with them really and very rarely upwards.
Agreed. MG was great at getting players in to do the job of propelling the club through leagues with tried and trusted players at that level or above and then quick to discard with them once they had hit what he judged was their ceiling - so most transfers sent players back down the league's without making much back. No players have been sold to teams higher up (although some have been released and ended up in a weird way at a higher level - Craig Edwards as an example).

With TW however it is clear that he is willing to invest and develop younger players and aim to make a decent profit selling to the FL or beyond. This makes far more sense and so long as you can keep unearthing potential gems this policy has far more sustainability. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:

Very true, I suspect they’d have been very small fees. I certainly dont think we’d have made a profit on any of those.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 am

I'm sure any such proposal from the club would be very well supported by fans as TW seems to be able to bring in some great young talent. Any such boost will help to continue the upward progress we are seeing under TW at the moment.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 am

I did mine as a Standing Order, rather than a DD. So it can only be cancelled by me & does not require renewal. Guaranteed to be first in. :roll:

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:50 am

I am up to continuing mine, lot of faith in W & W unearthing good players.....think they have a genuine love of the club too.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:19 am

I will sign up again for this and might double my pledge.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am

I refused to put into ' Boost Gray's Ego' last year, preferring to put into the new
stand fund.
Will definitely be contributing to boost the budget this time round.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 am

Certainly now that the ground is up to standard I can see more sense in donating to a playing budget, especially as Wright's signings do seem more geared towards long term stability with a view to developing and selling players on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:42 am

50 years wrote:I am in - there was a fair cut in the budget for TW for next year proposed, to help keep us on the financial straight and narrow, so it will be up to us to provide the extra if we want to go for a top 7 place next year. I believe on current evidence that TW is fairly wise on his acquisitions and finances, but may need a touch more than club on our gates are capable of providing without going into debt, plus as has been mentioned we may not have to raise capital for ground improvements next year.

A cut in budget from what to what?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
50 years wrote:I am in - there was a fair cut in the budget for TW for next year proposed, to help keep us on the financial straight and narrow, so it will be up to us to provide the extra if we want to go for a top 7 place next year. I believe on current evidence that TW is fairly wise on his acquisitions and finances, but may need a touch more than club on our gates are capable of providing without going into debt, plus as has been mentioned we may not have to raise capital for ground improvements next year.

A cut in budget from what to what?
I'm sure there was something that came out of one of the fans forums. At the start of the season Gray was spending circa £325k per season. This has come down to Circa £285k under Wright. The idea for next season I think was to bring it down to Circa £260k.

I'd like to see us maintain this level of budget. Think there is the opportunity for funds to be released by moving players on and investing this into key areas (GK and a second striker). As others have said, with no major infrastructure spending needed this year hopefully the boost the budget will be well supported. As well as Wright being supported with a proportion of any player sales being released back into the budget and the possibility of a long overdue cup run.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:45 pm

We need to hold fire on the thought that there will be no infrastructure fundraising until we know what is happening with the sports village. Also, DJ is introducing a 5 year plan on the back of this, so we may know something soon.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:26 pm

I'm feeling really positive after a couple of months of doom and gloom. Think it would be great to have a season of stability and not having to raise huge sums for infrastructure. If 1500 of us gave £20 to the budget fund there's £30,000 already!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:37 pm

I do a weekly pledge of £3 a week for a year. If 500 people did this, it would raise a staggering £78,000. That's how it was pushed last year - the price of a posh coffee a week. However, I think people were put off by MG. I'm very confident this year.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I do a weekly pledge of £3 a week for a year. If 500 people did this, it would raise a staggering £78,000. That's how it was pushed last year - the price of a posh coffee a week. However, I think people were put off by MG. I'm very confident this year.
Different feel about the club now Adam,would feel more confident contributing to the boost the budget for Tommy than the previous ungrateful manager who spent it badly as he appears to be doing the same at York.A massive plus in no more ground funding for the immediate future, so puts us in a great position do look at the playing budget and really go for a promotion next season.Brilliant if £30-40k could be raised and looking at what Darlo fans have achieved over the last few years nothing would surprise me.Up the Quakers.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Think we will easily raise 30-40k, we did this last season despite MG upsetting people with his antics.

Just a nice round tenner a month is £120, twenty quid is £240, so we can get a fair few thousand pretty quickly I reckon.

One thing to hold your horses on though - a promotion push. We're a long way from achieving that yet and we're miles behind the likes of York, Harrogate, Salford in terms of budget (though hopefully two of those teams will not be here next season). I'd suspect Stockport have a fair few quid more than us due to their gates and Spenny are obviously so sustainable and can match us easily. Kidderminster I think also have someone putting a few quid in as well as having decent gates, and I think are full time.

The reality is that the budget is now 50k less than what it was - and that total includes this year's boost the budget. Take that away and its 40k less again.

Also, it was mentioned that the club are looking to further reduce the budget down to 225k, not sure how we are going to manage it really. The truth is that if the budget is reduced to 225k, we will have to raise 60k to raise it up to the current level of 284k - which is still 50k less than what Gray started the season with! And as we know, that was not enough for him.

If my maths is correct we'd need to raise a whopping 110k to give TW the same budget that MG started with.

So we need some realism here.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Trimming the squad size to 16/17 and having youngsters as backup will reduce the budget a fair bit whilst still retaining a good quality team. We’ve far too many players at the moment.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:19 pm

divas wrote:Trimming the squad size to 16/17 and having youngsters as backup will reduce the budget a fair bit whilst still retaining a good quality team. We’ve far too many players at the moment.
Too many players contracted though.

We have Mills, Gillies, Caton all who play left wing, two of them are certainly on good money, and at least two, maybe three, are contracted for next season aren't they? This is a luxury we cannot afford...

Unless...

The fans get their hands in their pockets, back the boost the budget again, and make it affordable.

I bet however much we raise TW will appreciate it though and be gushing with praise - unlike the last fucking idiot.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Quakerz wrote:Think we will easily raise 30-40k, we did this last season despite MG upsetting people with his antics.

Just a nice round tenner a month is £120, twenty quid is £240, so we can get a fair few thousand pretty quickly I reckon.

One thing to hold your horses on though - a promotion push. We're a long way from achieving that yet and we're miles behind the likes of York, Harrogate, Salford in terms of budget (though hopefully two of those teams will not be here next season). I'd suspect Stockport have a fair few quid more than us due to their gates and Spenny are obviously so sustainable and can match us easily. Kidderminster I think also have someone putting a few quid in as well as having decent gates, and I think are full time.

The reality is that the budget is now 50k less than what it was - and that total includes this year's boost the budget. Take that away and its 40k less again.

Also, it was mentioned that the club are looking to further reduce the budget down to 225k, not sure how we are going to manage it really. The truth is that if the budget is reduced to 225k, we will have to raise 60k to raise it up to the current level of 284k - which is still 50k less than what Gray started the season with! And as we know, that was not enough for him.

If my maths is correct we'd need to raise a whopping 110k to give TW the same budget that MG started with.

I think our present squad is capable of pushing for the playoffs - especially with a bit of rebalancing. If we can be there or thereabouts with the playoffs you never know, we could sneak a promotion.

What I think is important is that the sports hub/BM situation is resolved once for all so that if needs be, we can gradually start putting some money away for future development which would ease the pressure when we get to the point where we need to improve the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:23 pm

divas wrote:Trimming the squad size to 16/17 and having youngsters as backup will reduce the budget a fair bit whilst still retaining a good quality team. We’ve far too many players at the moment.
Agree with this and it needs sorting before throwing more cash in the pot.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Quakerz wrote:Think we will easily raise 30-40k, we did this last season despite MG upsetting people with his antics.

Does that figure include the coaching staff as the previous incumbents chewed through a chunk of budget

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:49 pm

I’ve no problems supporting TW and helping to boost his budget, however is this likely to be at the expense of a further fundraising scheme for the club itself later this year? A scheme of this kind was mentioned by DJ at the last fans forum at the Dolphin Centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm presuming you mean the assistant kit manager's assistant?!

trevstanley
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by trevstanley » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 pm

I know its not strictly on topic , but i was watching the Wigan v Southampton FACup match today and the commentator said that Wigan had had very substantial offers for Dan Burn from Championship and Premier League clubs. Will you still get some sell on fee?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 pm

trevstanley wrote:I know its not strictly on topic , but i was watching the Wigan v Southampton FACup match today and the commentator said that Wigan had had very substantial offers for Dan Burn from Championship and Premier League clubs. Will you still get some sell on fee?
Unfortunately not as Wigan signed Burn as a free agent.