York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by divas » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:59 pm

You can’t just balance the books like that. Gray has signed up nearly a full team of full time players for next season.

3 options provided a new owner with a pocketful of cash isn’t standing by:

1) A firesale - if someone even wants some of the worst full time players in the UK
2) The fans raise the necessary funds to bridge the gap until the books can be balanced - let’s not forget that Hartlepool reckoned they needed £1.5m over 3 years although admittedly there’s probably a worse situation there but still gives an indication
3) The club is liquidated

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:46 pm

It is sad for their fans.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Some fans think it has cleared the way for new owners to take over with a fresh start in a new stadium. May not be so straightforward if Jason wants all the subsidies back.
It was interesting to see that on Monday Gray was saying in the press that it was business as usual and McGill was "110% committed to promotion"... then today McGill announced he had retired as chairman and was no longer involved in the running of the club with a new board to oversee a club to be run on a "breakeven" basis.
Seems like MG misread things somewhat... and the empire building may start to crumble. Beware the wounded chairman...

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:51 pm

McGill said he would continue to fund the club until April 30th. Has he gone back on this?
Also, as Lucan says, the devil is in the details of the sale offer.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Oh dear Mr gray out of frying pan into the fire, the grass isn't always greener .
Jump before your pushed which will happen sooner than later. Missreading the situation a trait that has become Mr gray.

SFG

Post by SFG » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Know a bit about this. Jason and the McGill family have been loyal York City fans for decades. They have put their heart, soul and money into the Club. They do not deserve to be compared to transient investors in other clubs.

Jason's company could only invest in the football club if they were confident that they could get their money back when Bootham Crescent is sold and the club moves to the new ground at Monks Cross next year.

For that they needed a 100% stake. Not to be. The fans decided that.

What the old ground may be worth and the attitude of the Football Foundation to their £2 million loan, are unknowns that the new York City Board will have to sort out.

Mistakes were made. The York Council took a ludicrously long time between 2010 and 2017 in getting work on the new stadium started. It is funded by S106 developer contributions and is going up now.

The York Directors seem to have made some poor choices in management. Player recruitment priorities were a mystery to many.

Now they face a part time future. They won't be able to borrow easily as they will only have a small equity share in the new stadium

One solution might be to merge the (increasingly successful) York Knights rugby team and the football clubs, at least administratively. Have a sort of Barcelona (style only) sporting club covering many different codes. There maybe similar options to be explored a little further north.

Personally I will always appreciate the solidarity which City fans showed with Darlington fans when they visited the Arena shortly after our fall into administration in 2011. Right up there with the Barrow fans demonstration later in the season.

So lets wish them every success in rebuilding. The north east of England needs more not fewer successful football teams

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm

I have no worries about York City or MG or anything to do with them...From what I have seen on one of their forums some of their fans arrogance is incredible.
They believe they are far better than NLN and that every team in this league is a pub team, so I have no sympathy at all.
My only concern is will we get any money still owed to us for the sales of Ferguson and Bartlett, not forgetting the promised gate receipts from the pre season freindly..
If not, Are the contracts of the two players still valid..
Asking the question as I havn't a clue.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:55 pm

My opinion wrote:I have no worries about York City or MG or anything to do with them...From what I have seen on one of their forums some of their fans arrogance is incredible.
They believe they are far better than NLN and that every team in this league is a pub team, so I have no sympathy at all.
My only concern is will we get any money still owed to us for the sales of Ferguson and Bartlett, not forgetting the promised gate receipts from the pre season freindly..
If not, Are the contracts of the two players still valid..
Asking the question as I havn't a clue.
Yes. People sniggering with schadenfreude about Martin Gray would do well to realise that if York go down the pan then we become one of their creditors, and it could cost us a fair bit.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:56 pm

SFG wrote:Know a bit about this. Jason and the McGill family have been loyal York City fans for decades. They have put their heart, soul and money into the Club. They do not deserve to be compared to transient investors in other clubs.

Jason's company could only invest in the football club if they were confident that they could get their money back when Bootham Crescent is sold and the club moves to the new ground at Monks Cross next year.

What the old ground may be worth and the attitude of the Football Foundation to their £2 million loan, are unknowns that the new York City Board will have to sort out.

Mistakes were made. The York Council took a ludicrously long time between 2010 and 2017 in getting work on the new stadium started. It is funded by S106 developer contributions and is going up now.

The York Directors seem to have made some poor choices in management. Player recruitment priorities were a mystery to many.

Now they face a part time future. They won't be able to borrow easily as they will only have a small equity share in the new stadium

One solution might be to merge the (increasingly successful) York Knights rugby team and the football clubs, at least administratively. Have a sort of Barcelona (style only) sporting club covering many different codes. There maybe similar options to be explored a little further north.

Personally I will always appreciate the solidarity which City fans showed with Darlington fans when they visited the Arena shortly after our fall into administration in 2011. Right up there with the Barrow fans demonstration later in the season.

So lets wish them every success in rebuilding. The north east of England needs more not fewer successful football teams
Don’t think many on here would disagree with the sentiment here.York are just another club in our league and apart from 180 minutes of football a season we should have no axe to grind with them.
The manager to some however,is a different story.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:47 pm

SFG wrote:Know a bit about this. Jason and the McGill family have been loyal York City fans for decades. They have put their heart, soul and money into the Club. They do not deserve to be compared to transient investors in other clubs.

I don't have much sympathy for McGill - especially if he's now moving the goalposts and calling the money he chose to spend a 'loan'.

I have sympathy for the York fans - another set of supporters who are seeing the history of the club they've followed for years put at risk because one man who was privileged enough to choose to become custodian of that club has had enough, made too many mistakes or simply changed his mind.

I do take a sense of satisfaction for seeing Martin Gray in the position he now finds himself in, it's just a shame many others suffer as a result.

Martin, if you need to borrow a bucket we can lend you a quid from Tommy's boost the budget fund.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:23 pm

They'll have to offload a lot of players that they can no longer afford, Gray won't like that.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:28 pm

i heard a rumour a few weeks back that Steve McClaren was part of a consortium looking at pulling a bid together. I read an interview with him saying he wanted to get into 'the business side of football' and this is his perfect chance with his hometown team and his mate MG as manager.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:i heard a rumour a few weeks back that Steve McClaren was part of a consortium looking at pulling a bid together. I read an interview with him saying he wanted to get into 'the business side of football' and this is his perfect chance with his hometown team and his mate MG as manager.
The business side of football?

You meaning spending money you don't have and then walking away leaving the club in tatters?

DC

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Spyman wrote:
bigdavethemaddog wrote:i heard a rumour a few weeks back that Steve McClaren was part of a consortium looking at pulling a bid together. I read an interview with him saying he wanted to get into 'the business side of football' and this is his perfect chance with his hometown team and his mate MG as manager.

You meaning spending money you don't have and then walking away leaving the club in tatters?

McClaren wont be short of money with all the pay-offs he has had.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm

It’s always possible Gray may end up at Pools.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Spyman wrote:

:clap: :lol: :clap: :thumbup:

Bang on, as usual.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 am

DarloDave40 wrote:It’s always possible Gray may end up at Pools.
Guaranteed I would say.

When the time comes, he'll resign from York and be appointed manager at Poolie a couple of hours later, before sitting in his first press conference and telling the local media the strengths and weaknesses of his new team - all sourced from that two-hour period when he was 'out of work', of course.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:30 am

Quakerz wrote:They're a laughing stock, eh Martin?

Are you going to help rattle those buckets to boost your budget?
Karma is such a wonderful thing when it happens.

If only MG had simply moved on from us by standing behind the usual bland statements such as "looking for a new challenge......taken Darlo as far as he could" etc he wouldn't be getting laughed at. Lessons learned for MG.....

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Spyman wrote:

You laugh, but a big bulk of our fans wanted to go along with Gray's profligacy last May.

Probably the same ones guffawing at York's problems now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:

You laugh, but a big bulk of our fans wanted to go along with Gray's profligacy last May.

Probably the same ones guffawing at York's problems now.
Certainly some cross over.

Darlo Pete being one.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Darlogramps wrote:You laugh, but a big bulk of our fans wanted to go along with Gray's profligacy last May.
Well not me that's for sure - and I reckon that quite a few saw through Gray during and after the infamous Forum, and especially after Singh came on the scene.

Anyway gramps, here is a little Easter puzzle for you.

You are on a river bank and you have to get a savage Canadian Black Bear, Martin Gray, and a suitcase full of somebody else’s money across the river.

You have a rowing boat, but it can only carry one thing (and you) at a time.

If the Bear and Martin Gray are left together, the Bear will eat Martin Gray, however if Martin Gray and the suitcase of somebody else’s money are left together, Martin Gray will fritter the money away on expensive transfers and other similar things.

So, how do you do it?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:You laugh, but a big bulk of our fans wanted to go along with Gray's profligacy last May.
Well not me that's for sure - and I reckon that quite a few saw through Gray during and after the infamous Forum, and especially after Singh came on the scene.

Anyway gramps, here is a little Easter puzzle for you.

You are on a river bank and you have to get a savage Canadian Black Bear, Martin Gray, and a suitcase full of somebody else’s money across the river.

You have a rowing boat, but it can only carry one thing (and you) at a time.

If the Bear and Martin Gray are left together, the Bear will eat Martin Gray, however if Martin Gray and the suitcase of somebody else’s money are left together, Martin Gray will fritter the money away on expensive transfers and other similar things.

So, how do you do it?
Take the money in the boat, leave the bear to eat Martin Gray*, and donate the money to the Boost the Budget fund?

*Either that or Martin Gray will hire the bear as a Matchday Analyst.

DC

The Equalizer

Post by The Equalizer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Take Martin Gray across leave him on the other side go back and get the bear and take him across then take Marin Gray back across pick up the money and leave Gray behind then drop the money off with Bear go back and get Martin Gray and then hey presto, think that's right.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:16 pm

The bear will not eat MG if left alone. He will send the bear to sleep with a string of clichés such as 'better in both boxes' and constant talk about investment.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:16 pm

If the bear when stood on it's back legs is taller than 2 meters then rather than eating
Mr Gray, he will offer it a 2 year contract to play as a striker and have long balls pumped up to it all day.
As part of the deal the bear, his wife and cubs will given luxury accommodation at Flamingo park if the bear agrees to sell his home of 1000 sq miles of wilderness to Mr Gray's nice friend Mr Singh, who promises to build a care home for old and knackered bears there.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:14 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:The bear will not eat MG if left alone. He will send the bear to sleep with a string of clichés such as 'better in both boxes' and constant talk about investment.
Can't imagine the conversation would go that well to be honest.

Surely the bear would be put off by MG's passive aggressive and irritable responses.

Anyway, surely the answer is nice Mr Singh turns up in a big fancy rowing boat, but then clears off when that sinks with all the money on it. And then Mr Singh says he was merely lending you the rowing boat and wants you to pay for it all instead.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Interesting FA have released figures for the clubs spending most on agents fees...

York City have spent £17,000 on agents fees this season. In non-league football only Hartlepool and Leyton Orient (clubs with parachute payments) spent more. Salford City spent £12,000 as well.

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-n ... -2018.ashx

https://twitter.com/nonleaguepaper/stat ... 06818?s=21

Both us and Spennymoor appear on the long list but not the short one (Mills / Trotman & Caton) not really sure if that means we paid nothing or it was a negligible amount.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Only two of the York deals have occurred under Gray, Ferguson and Parkin new contract.

Only one of Darlo agent deals happened under Gray, guess he isn't that big on agents involved in deals.