Transfer targets for next season.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Team Supported: Darlington

Transfer targets for next season.

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:07 pm

I know this is ridiculously early to be speculating on but the players that Tommy has already signed have all been a success so I am really looking forward to see who he can attract to the club.

I personally would like to see another striker, a goalkeeper (Pears or Talbot preferably) and also a player who can play in a similar position to where Syers is playing for squad depth. Who would you like/think Tommy could bring in the summer?

Vodka_Vic

Re: Transfer targets for next season.

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Tommy himself reckons only 2 are needed - possibly centre midfield and another striker. My personal preferred targets, which are only based on who TW could get and may have no chance of being realised, but are just a bit of fun are:
Joe Ironside from Kiddy, Dale Hopson from Blyth and Ashley Chambers from Nuneaton. As I say, probably no chance of getting them, but there you go.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Ironside is from the North East but it's probably unrealistic as Kiddy pay more and are arguably a more attractive club to play for right now.

Chambers is not interested in the travelling I hear, apparently we tried to sign him before.

For a forward a more realistic prospect may be Adam Boyes. Decent record, from the North East and may view Darlo as a decent step up. He's surely not on a great wedge at BPA either, although I think he has 1 year left on his contract.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Boyes is a good shout, BPA also have that other forward (can’t remember his name) who’s bagged quite a few goals this season as well.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:41 pm

I've always rated Dayle Southwell, went from Grimsby to Boston & scored goals there. Ended up getting a transfer to Wycombe where it didn't work out & is now at Guiseley.

Still canny young and would be a decent partner for Styche.

http://guiseleyafc.co.uk/player/dayle-southwell-2/

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Know what Andy I was genuinely thinking he could be someone we could look at, his record for Boston was really good and is probably in TW’s local area so that to me could be a realistic option if Guiseley let him go.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:33 pm

I don't think Guiseley would want to let him go, but I am sure we could be a better attraction for him than them, they will be in the same league as us next season - So if we offered him a bit more ££, I'd love to see him here.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Jason Kennedy..

32, lives in Stockton, bit part player for Carlisle and contract up in the summer.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Is it not just injury that has seen him play little this season? Thought he was one of their bigger players last ssason. Be very suprised if he went part time.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm

DFCAnth wrote:Jason Kennedy..

32, lives in Stockton, bit part player for Carlisle and contract up in the summer.
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle-u ... d8c6a21-ds

According to that, he's under contract until the end of the 2018/19 season..

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:46 pm

If only!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 am

Spyman wrote:

If only!

Was gonna say one my favourite midfielders in my time watching the club. Gateshead / Hartlepool for him first on the way down.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Recruitment will likely be impacted by whether or not we can remove certain players who are surplus to requirements off the wage bill. Burgess being the main one as his contract runs until summer 2019 I believe and with him previously being club captain I'd imagine he is paid pretty well. Liam Marrs as well, his contract runs until summer 2019. Both are clearly surplus to requirements.

In addition to this, the amount of season tickets we sell is crucial. The club released a very good early bird offer in February yet at the last communication we had shifted 150 (will likely be more than that now). Such an important way of the club banking a lot of cash in advance of the next season so we know what sort of budget we have moving into next season, which is obviously being topped up by the boost the budget scheme. It's a good offer as well, five free games for a standing adult if bought in advance, less then £3 a game for under 16's and free for under 11's. The club have made a huge effort this season in not only releasing the season tickets early to allow people to buy them well in advance, but also making it sure that it is incredibly affordable for youngsters to attend matches, so I hope the uptake is good and people support the club by buying them.

Moving forward as a club we need to be targeting 1,000 season ticket holders. It'll take time and effort but the amount of work the club are doing in the community, visiting schools etc, will hopefully lead to us attracting newer fans etc.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Thought today showed that we do indeed need a couple of attacking players brought in over the Summer, I have faith Wright will do that and find a good couple of them as well

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Quakerz wrote:Ironside is from the North East but it's probably unrealistic as Kiddy pay more and are arguably a more attractive club to play for right now.

Chambers is not interested in the travelling I hear, apparently we tried to sign him before.

For a forward a more realistic prospect may be Adam Boyes. Decent record, from the North East and may view Darlo as a decent step up. He's surely not on a great wedge at BPA either, although I think he has 1 year left on his contract.
I would quite like Chambers to be honest, I know there's a few lads from down that way so Im sure they all share the travelling and a majority of the away games are Birmingham / Manchester way - so I am surprised that he does not want to travel - but maybe his hunger for success has gone and just wants his career to drift out at a local level.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:51 pm

I wonder if TW will go back in for George Waring at Tranmere, currently on loan at Kidderminster, as a foil for Styche.

As far as I am aware, Danny Johnson, Nyal Bell & Richard Peniket are all out of contract at Gateshead at the end of the season.

I don't think we are far off having a really good squad. We have, as it stands, the 6th best defensive record in the league. I would be happy to sign Talbot for next season should we not get Pears who is outstanding.

A couple of players in attacking areas that carry an actual goal threat plus a goalkeeper will do.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Obviously we would require outgoings given the projected reduction in playing budget to bring in two or three players, and the below is pure optimistic speculation;

Aman Verma - Leicester based, played under TW at Corby, currently at relegated Tamworth, good player for this level.

Adam Boyes - As Quakerz has mentioned, local, decent scoring record and at the right-age.

Ashley Chambers - Played under TW at Nuneaton, Leicester based although question marks on the travel.

Akwasi Asante - Decent goal scoring record at this level, West Midlands based, currently at relegated Tamworth.

Ashley Hemmings - Goalscoring winger for Boston, West Midlands based, apparently out of contract this summer.

David Foley - Decent winger at Spennymoor, not really playing too much although has scored 6/7 goals this season. Local, and would know AW.

James Talbot - Rumoured to be out of contact, did well for us earlier this season and I think it's unlikely we'll see Pears return.

In January, Wright also tried to sign both Adi Yussuf and George Waring on loan.

Although this wouldn't happen, thinking locally I'd have Ramshaw from Spennymoor, and Hopson/Maguire from Blyth.

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Amar Purewal.
He has scored for us in all leagues

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:35 pm

If that Hemmings lad is out of contract then we should be all over that as he is miles better than caton and mills

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Will also need to get Galbraith signed up for next season as well. Really hoping to hear some postive news re. a couple of our out of contract players soon.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Be interesting to see how Wright shapes the squad for next season what with the incoming budget cut and some players out of the first team picture in contract for next season. Hopefully we can find someone to take them off our hands to release some wages for new signings and to help keep hold of Galbraith, who's formed a very effective partnership with Heaton. Also hopefully Glover will be added to a contract for next season too (unless he has already signed one).

Obviously we need a keeper, but we really do need at least one more attacking option - we're too reliant on Thompson and Styche to create. Ideally we can find takers for Caton and Mills and bring in a striker and another wide player. The rest of the team looks pretty settled and strong going into next season (of course, assuming nobody comes in for Heaton/Trotman/Wheatley)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Quakers83 wrote:Obviously we would require outgoings given the projected reduction in playing budget to bring in two or three players, and the below is pure optimistic speculation;

Aman Verma - Leicester based, played under TW at Corby, currently at relegated Tamworth, good player for this level.

Adam Boyes - As Quakerz has mentioned, local, decent scoring record and at the right-age.

Ashley Chambers - Played under TW at Nuneaton, Leicester based although question marks on the travel.

Akwasi Asante - Decent goal scoring record at this level, West Midlands based, currently at relegated Tamworth.

Ashley Hemmings - Goalscoring winger for Boston, West Midlands based, apparently out of contract this summer.

David Foley - Decent winger at Spennymoor, not really playing too much although has scored 6/7 goals this season. Local, and would know AW.

James Talbot - Rumoured to be out of contact, did well for us earlier this season and I think it's unlikely we'll see Pears return.

In January, Wright also tried to sign both Adi Yussuf and George Waring on loan.

Although this wouldn't happen, thinking locally I'd have Ramshaw from Spennymoor, and Hopson/Maguire from Blyth.
Verma was excellent for us previously, but I don't think midfield is a priority.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:12 pm

And asante is now dire, according to the tamworth fans.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:18 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Will also need to get Galbraith signed up for next season as well. Really hoping to hear some postive news re. a couple of our out of contract players soon.
Think this one could be sorted, although a rumour today was he is going to York but I don't believe it as everything reliable I hear is that Galbraith will sign and be at Darlo next year.

Who else do you want to sign as I think Galbraith will be the last one and at least 6 will go.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:34 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Will also need to get Galbraith signed up for next season as well. Really hoping to hear some postive news re. a couple of our out of contract players soon.
Think this one could be sorted, although a rumour today was he is going to York but I don't believe it as everything reliable I hear is that Galbraith will sign and be at Darlo next year.

Who else do you want to sign as I think Galbraith will be the last one and at least 6 will go.
Would like to think Portas & Gillies will be here next season - along with Hunter (who I have heard is under contract for next season but unsure).

But again we go back to the current players we have under-contract and how we will have too much going in to next season. Do we retain the players we would like to keep and will actually contribute (Hunter, Portas, Gillies etc) and hope we can off-load contracted players (Marrs, Burgess, Caton, Mills etc) over the summer in time for when the players actually get paid at the beginning of the season. Tough one.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Quakers83 wrote:Obviously we would require outgoings given the projected reduction in playing budget to bring in two or three players, and the below is pure optimistic speculation;

Boyes, Hemmings, Hopson and Pears would be ideal signings for me, along with the signing of Terry Galbraith for another year or two.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Portas and Tez a Defo

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Some of the north-east academy releases are always worth a look. There are some gems like wheatley.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:

Would like to think Portas & Gillies will be here next season - along with Hunter (who I have heard is under contract for next season but unsure).

But again we go back to the current players we have under-contract and how we will have too much going in to next season. Do we retain the players we would like to keep and will actually contribute (Hunter, Portas, Gillies etc) and hope we can off-load contracted players (Marrs, Burgess, Caton, Mills etc) over the summer in time for when the players actually get paid at the beginning of the season. Tough one.
Fairly confident we will lose most that have a year left and aren't required, although I think Portas and Gillies may be on their way and yes I think Hunter has one more year.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:48 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Some of the north-east academy releases are always worth a look. There are some gems like wheatley.
Luke Armstrong would be good to look at if he gets released from Boro, will probably go wherever Alun next hands his CV to though