Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfc4me
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Boston match thread

Post by dfc4me » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:55 am

Let's not forget it was pouring down from 1 o'clock until 2.30. Hardly going to bring out the casual supporter for a match with very little riding on it no matter how many offers are on.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:47 am

loan_star wrote:1100/1200 crowds used to be the norm years ago for us when we were a lower to mid table division 4 side. Quite why it’s expected that a lower to mid table conference north side should get more is beyond me. If we were pushing for promotion then that would be different. However we have had a season where the majority of it we have been poor. It’s goimg to take more than a decent run at the back end of the season to get people interested.
Could the counter argument and differences be that there wasn't the same reliance to an extent on gate receipts and actual attendances back then. The regimes of the time would plug the gap but could rely on that core and for so long dodged the dreaded drop out of the FL bar a season or two. Today however football finances have changed quite considerably, we are fan owned and not controlled by one individual or group and if for some unknown reason our attendances drop by half to 600 (hopefully never does!), then the club would be more than likely an Evostick side - that's why our attendances are important. Higher attendances are very important in contributing to a financial foundation that is not only sustainable at this level but the one above and then maybe a crack at regaining a FL position.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

loan_star wrote:1100/1200 crowds used to be the norm years ago for us when we were a lower to mid table division 4 side. Quite why it’s expected that a lower to mid table conference north side should get more is beyond me. If we were pushing for promotion then that would be different. However we have had a season where the majority of it we have been poor. It’s goimg to take more than a decent run at the back end of the season to get people interested.
It's more the budgeting aspect for me. We budgeted for a lot higher than 1100/1200 a game. And as realdarlo85 points out we're heavily reliant on gate receipts now so any drop will have an effect.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:34 am

I get the circumstances, but about 1200 home fans for a town with a population of 106000 is in my eyes disappointing (and that's before taking into account that some of our support comes from outside of the town). I also understand we've been rubbish most of the year, but if we ever make it up to the conference we will likely struggle, at least initially - and we've no chance of doing OK in the conference nowadays if we can only pull 1200 in when we're not competing for promotion.

I suppose I was just hoping that the recent progress made off the pitch, the good news which has been coming out of the club, and the ticket offers would see some more people attending. Hence the disappointment.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 am

The recent problem has been that the weather without fail has been shocking Friday into Saturday. The Curzon Ashton, North Ferriby and yesterday's game must have been in some doubt. Our recent pitch works have ensured that all 3 have gone ahead, but exiles like myself who normally even travel the night before or the morning before the game won't risk travelling hundreds of miles under the circumstances, and that may take a couple of hundred of the gate the last few weeks.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:18 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Could the counter argument and differences be that there wasn't the same reliance to an extent on gate receipts and actual attendances back then. The regimes of the time would plug the gap but could rely on that core and for so long dodged the dreaded drop out of the FL bar a season or two. Today however football finances have changed quite considerably, we are fan owned and not controlled by one individual or group and if for some unknown reason our attendances drop by half to 600 (hopefully never does!), then the club would be more than likely an Evostick side - that's why our attendances are important. Higher attendances are very important in contributing to a financial foundation that is not only sustainable at this level but the one above and then maybe a crack at regaining a FL position.
I would say that clubs were probably just as reliant on gate receipts back then. The leagues weren't awash with money and players weren't on great wages either. Yes we had a board of directors but they weren't exactly rich men, the likes of Heaton etc were just local businessmen who stepped up to help the club. We almost went bust in the early 80s over £50k. We don't want to fall into the trap that Reynolds fell into when he thought people would just turn up because of the stadium, or in our case because we are fan owned. Floating fans need more than that to get them to turn up.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:50 pm

I don't see the point in whinging or arguing over attendances, they are what they are and you can't change them in the short term.

It's just something we need to work on and build up. Basically we got 1,300 for what most think a pointless game v Boston (little away fans) on a day when it was raining and had for about 3hrs before it eventually stopped at 2:30pm when most had made the decision to go or not.

Since we moved back to Darlo we at first done ok but we then had the seat issue, a fans forum that wasn't great, a relegation threatened season, no cup excitement and generally it's been a struggle.

We could do with a spark to boost us, a little cup run or a fantastic start to next season. If not then we work with our expected average of about 1,500 over a season, which is pretty decent considering and continue our work in the community and gradually grow the club, it is what it is.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:14 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:I don't see the point in whinging or arguing over attendances, they are what they are and you can't change them in the short term.

It's just something we need to work on and build up. Basically we got 1,300 for what most think a pointless game v Boston (little away fans) on a day when it was raining and had for about 3hrs before it eventually stopped at 2:30pm when most had made the decision to go or not.

Since we moved back to Darlo we at first done ok but we then had the seat issue, a fans forum that wasn't great, a relegation threatened season, no cup excitement and generally it's been a struggle.

We could do with a spark to boost us, a little cup run or a fantastic start to next season. If not then we work with our expected average of about 1,500 over a season, which is pretty decent considering and continue our work in the community and gradually grow the club, it is what it is.
Ever the voice of reason Les :lol:

Yep a spark early next season to rekindle some interest from the town would be superb. No pressure Tommy :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:23 pm

quakerste wrote:Why should their number 5 have been sent off?

If your referring to the incident with Styche, Styche made a stamping motion towards him initially which you could clearly see from the main stand. Their player reacted stupidly by lashing out, the referee actually took the sensible way out in my opinion.

Somebody actually put the incident on Twitter during the game and you will clearly see it.
I was in the tinshed in the first half and a player of ours got past the number 5 and was pulled back, looked a booking to me and everybody else around me. Not sure if it was the Styche incident you were talking about.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Yesterday showed for me that Mills isn’t interested at all in playing for us, which is a shame as there is a really good player in there somewhere but if he doesn’t buck his ideas up Tommy should ship him off. As for the performance we looked really off the pace, Styche was pretty much on a desert island he was that isolated and he did well in the build up to his goal, with assist of the season going to a bobble in the 6 yard box, Thommo looked poor as well I thought but that could of been down to the fact that Trotman was injured and that partnership wasn’t there with Portas (Who had a pretty decent game imo).

Couple of players (Gillies in particular) need to step up if they want to stay with us.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 pm

I agree there's no point in arguing over attendances but I was thinking it was a pleasant discussion after some of the nastier stuff we've had on here! I think if we'd carried on in a similar vein after the Salford away result and hit top seven the crowds would be better. Salford's crowds surprisingly have really dropped off even though they're top.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:20 pm

To be honest with the weather I thought the gate was not too bad (although big impact on finances I agree), we need to remember the ground is not brilliant for poor weather days. The upstairs hospitality was packed and the 50/50 take excellent so the fans we have are fantastic. How we get back to 2k+ fans is going to take some time with on the day experience and results.

As to the game it was dire with little shown desire wise other than a few of the team. Wheatley and Syres put in a lot of effort I thought, (Syres with good runs off the ball but having to drop back due to Turbull being almost in a back four making it almost a back five at times, which then left Styche isolated up front). Portus, Heaton, Galbraith and O'Hanlon did not play badly but looked a bit lethargic (although Portus and Heaton did try and get things moving at times). Gillies, Thompson, Catton and Mills added nothing I felt and TW needs to work out who we need for the future (realise that we have just given Thommo a new contract but not seen him play well since signing contract and yesterday he never won a header where before was winning 80% of them).

In the last few games I have seen really poor performances at Telford, Tamworth and now Boston (Boston were not better than us but had passion in wanting to win and challenged everything, we did not). I have bought tickets for FC United game and now thinking that I may have made a mistake, if a number of the players are not bothered as they believe there is nothing to play for.

Was really looking forward to next season, but think these three games for me is a reality check and should be for the management team

TW and AW have some hard decisions to make now for next season and a real focus needed on tactics, and plan "B" when things are not working. Would be great to see some of our young players now blooded for next season if the "seniors" are not mentally up for the end of the season games that fans come to watch and pay for.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:26 pm

James Caton.

I thought he got a tough time earlier on in the season and hoped he could get things going for himself, but it seems that apart from one good recent away performance he struggles to ever make an impact.

Yesterday he had the best chance of the game but doofed it way over the bar - he could and should be doing so much better.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:48 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Yesterday showed for me that Mills isn’t interested at all in playing for us, which is a shame as there is a really good player in there somewhere but if he doesn’t buck his ideas up Tommy should ship him off. As for the performance we looked really off the pace, Styche was pretty much on a desert island he was that isolated and he did well in the build up to his goal, with assist of the season going to a bobble in the 6 yard box, Thommo looked poor as well I thought but that could of been down to the fact that Trotman was injured and that partnership wasn’t there with Portas (Who had a pretty decent game imo).

Couple of players (Gillies in particular) need to step up if they want to stay with us.
Gillies had been our best player last two games. He, like everyone else yesterday, had a poor game. Seems the scapegoat of choice nowadays. There where worse players yesterday, and i'd have kept him on ahead of Caton or Mills any day of the week.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:08 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Yesterday showed for me that Mills isn’t interested at all in playing for us, which is a shame as there is a really good player in there somewhere but if he doesn’t buck his ideas up Tommy should ship him off. As for the performance we looked really off the pace, Styche was pretty much on a desert island he was that isolated and he did well in the build up to his goal, with assist of the season going to a bobble in the 6 yard box, Thommo looked poor as well I thought but that could of been down to the fact that Trotman was injured and that partnership wasn’t there with Portas (Who had a pretty decent game imo).

Gillies had been our best player last two games. He, like everyone else yesterday, had a poor game. Seems the scapegoat of choice nowadays. There where worse players yesterday, and i'd have kept him on ahead of Caton or Mills any day of the week.
To be fair I do agree with that but I think he needs to be doing it on a consistent level throughout the season with the talent and ability he has and I personally would keep him and sign another winger and bin mills and caton if it came down to that. But like I said he does need to be having them good performances more regularly as on his day he is unplayable.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Having watched the highlights and over the last several weeks if we got another forward who is a good header of the ball we would be absolutely lethal. We do miss a lot of headed chances and I think that heading is the weaker part of Reece Styche's game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Not when compared to Reece's penalty taking skills ;)

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Agree with you Vic. Although that probably has seen us score more goals from through ball in behind than we have probably seen in about 5 years under Gray. A second striker is a must is we are going to compete higher up the league next season. I'd still be interested in looking at Nyal Bell at Gateshead. Currently on loan at alfreton with 4 goals in 3 starts and 6 subs appearances.

Think we still need someone to step up and claim the LW position too. Gillies, Mills and Caton don't seem capable of holding down that spot in the team.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 pm

JE93 wrote:Agree with you Vic. Although that probably has seen us score more goals from through ball in behind than we have probably seen in about 5 years under Gray. A second striker is a must is we are going to compete higher up the league next season. I'd still be interested in looking at Nyal Bell at Gateshead. Currently on loan at alfreton with 4 goals in 3 starts and 6 subs appearances.

Think we still need someone to step up and claim the LW position too. Gillies, Mills and Caton don't seem capable of holding down that spot in the team.
I’d like to see us recruit a left footed left winger over the summer.

It would make a huge difference.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 pm

That lad from curzon who looked proper dangerous against O’Hanlon could be a shout but not sure if he’s left footed.