York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:His few signings have been largely poor and without Parkin they have no real threat at all, you could say he has been unlucky in one sense. Parking injured, poor squad, McGill wanting to guarantee he can get his money back causing the share issue. Add the fact that Mr Gray doesn't seem to have enough in this league to be able to sign decent players as he doesn't have the tools/resources.
You could argue that McGill has been unlucky. Gray HAS been given time, money and resources to get things sorted at York but he seems unable to make any headway, and I reckon that if York had been sitting higher up the table in 1st, 2nd or 3rd then the fans would have been a lot happier and might of even voted 'yes' in the share proposal -- taking the heat out of the situation.

Gray's track record has been discussed to death on here - he did well for us when he had a much higher budget than his competitors - thus enabling us to almost bully our way through the lower leagues with him at the helm. However on more of a level playing field he struggled with Darlo and is now struggling at York, where expectations are (or were) higher.

As real_darlo_85 says - his stock is rapidly nose diving.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:His few signings have been largely poor and without Parkin they have no real threat at all, you could say he has been unlucky in one sense. Parking injured, poor squad, McGill wanting to guarantee he can get his money back causing the share issue. Add the fact that Mr Gray doesn't seem to have enough in this league to be able to sign decent players as he doesn't have the tools/resources.
You could argue that McGill has been unlucky. Gray HAS been given time, money and resources to get things sorted at York but he seems unable to make any headway, and I reckon that if York had been sitting higher up the table in 1st, 2nd or 3rd then the fans would have been a lot happier and might of even voted 'yes' in the share proposal -- taking the heat out of the situation.

Gray's track record has been discussed to death on here - he did well for us when he had a much higher budget than his competitors - thus enabling us to almost bully our way through the lower leagues with him at the helm. However on more of a level playing field he struggled with Darlo and is now struggling at York, where expectations are (or were) higher.

As real_darlo_85 says - his stock is rapidly nose diving.
Totally agree, we had the signs that MG tactically he was poor. It was all good when we had the physically stronger players as you say in Evo Prem and 1st but now he is matched financially a little and certainly in quality he has struggled.

Done well for us but reached his limit, best thing was when he left as he needed more and more cash to make up for his poor tactical limitations.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Player recruitment wise he started to find it much tougher when contracts came into play and he couldn’t ditch and pick up players at will.

I wonder how much is also down to Harry Dunn having a fantastic knowledge of local part time players in the divisions below but maybe not as good on the full time scale with players from a higher level? Being the worst full time football team in England isn’t really much of a pull though, it’s no wonder they end up with the dregs.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Imagine if we'd succumbed to Gray's pressure, let Singh back in, turned FT, and then found out Gray can't do it as a FT coach with a big budget, while debt is getting loaded up on a club with a manager who seems to have reached his level :shock:

Amazing how quickly things can change - this time last year Gray had a blemish free record, a highly rated manager progressing up the leagues, at a club where he had plenty of credit in the bank. Now, not so much. Grass isn't always greener Martin...

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Don’t forget the impact on his academy too...

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:54 pm

divas wrote:Player recruitment wise he started to find it much tougher when contracts came into play and he couldn’t ditch and pick up players at will.

I wonder how much is also down to Harry Dunn having a fantastic knowledge of local part time players in the divisions below but maybe not as good on the full time scale with players from a higher level? Being the worst full time football team in England isn’t really much of a pull though, it’s no wonder they end up with the dregs.
Think this may be the nub of much of his problems. Although you may attract part-timers who would like to be full they are not going to be the ones who have been at it a while as they are going to be unlikely to throw up a full-time job for the risk of a few seasons as a pro, and that is assuming it all goes well - especially if they have family and/or financial commitments. Equally you are not going to get top quality full timers coming to you if you are in the NLN.

I thought Harry Dunn was possibly our No 1 signing in the Northern League and I thought he would be or biggest loss when MG jumped ship. However, like Divas I was beginning to wonder how useful his knowledge of P/T NE players was at this level.

Finally MG has perhaps not factored in the fact that NLN has probably more Full time teams this year than ever before and they can't all win promotion.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40 pm

If you think about current positions York not in a good place, (lost tonight again), as chorley and blyth could overtake them if they win there games in hand. In fact if we had won at Telford, Tamworth and Boston ( all winable games to be honest when our team is on song) we would have been three points behind york with a game in hand. May have been interesting end of the season if we had chance to go above them:-)

" up the quakers"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am

al_quaker wrote:Imagine if we'd succumbed to Gray's pressure, let Singh back in, turned FT, and then found out Gray can't do it as a FT coach with a big budget, while debt is getting loaded up on a club with a manager who seems to have reached his level :shock:

Amazing how quickly things can change - this time last year Gray had a blemish free record, a highly rated manager progressing up the leagues, at a club where he had plenty of credit in the bank. Now, not so much. Grass isn't always greener Martin...
Hopefully now that we as a group of fans have had the chance to be reminded from the outside that a wealthy backer and full-time budget doesn't guarantee success, there'll be less of a clamour and less conflict between fans if a similar situation presents itself.

We only have to look at York and Hartlepool to remind ourselves how good we have it at the moment.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 am

divas wrote:Don’t forget the impact on his academy too...
And that! I'm not sure how the finances of these academies work (as it's a 16-18 vocational qualification are they centrally funded?) but presumably our new academy will impact on MGFA in terms of numbers and the link up it had with DFC (i.e. he'll have to stop using our badge!)

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 am

al_quaker wrote:
And that! I'm not sure how the finances of these academies work (as it's a 16-18 vocational qualification are they centrally funded?) but presumably our new academy will impact on MGFA in terms of numbers and the link up it had with DFC (i.e. he'll have to stop using our badge!)
Unless he is prepared to do a licensing deal, say £100k per year :lol:

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 am

Quakerz wrote:His total record at York W11 D5 L10 (League), W12 D5 L11(All comps)

You have to say that with a full time squad playing week in week out against part-timers, and with all of the financial backing that he needed, that's very poor.

Gary Mills was sacked after starting the season with W5 D4 L3 (League)
Anyone know what Tommy Wrights record is since joining Darlo?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:20 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:His total record at York W11 D5 L10 (League), W12 D5 L11(All comps)

You have to say that with a full time squad playing week in week out against part-timers, and with all of the financial backing that he needed, that's very poor.

Since the Away game v Blyth which was when Tommy officially took charge of games.

League W7 D5 L9
All Comps W7 D5 L10

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am

Didn't realise Tommy had been in charge for half a league season - time flies when you're having fun...

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:54 am

al_quaker wrote:
Strange , I thought he had stopped using our badge, however going home after match on Saturday, I was behind his large transit transporter which is still plastered with DFC Badge.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am

Spyman wrote:Hopefully now that we as a group of fans have had the chance to be reminded from the outside that a wealthy backer and full-time budget doesn't guarantee success, there'll be less of a clamour and less conflict between fans if a similar situation presents itself.

We only have to look at York and Hartlepool to remind ourselves how good we have it at the moment.
I couldn't have put it better myself :clap: Great post.
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Since the Away game v Blyth which was when Tommy officially took charge of games.

League W7 D5 L9
All Comps W7 D5 L10
T.W. gets by my amateur calculations a similar points per game ratio to Gray, just 0.2 less.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:

Since the Away game v Blyth which was when Tommy officially took charge of games.

League W7 D5 L9
All Comps W7 D5 L10
Although the record looks moderate/poor, and it is moderate/poor overall - it looks a hell of a lot better than the W1 D1 L7 (W1 D1 L8 all comps) that he started with.

I really hope we don't slack off and win hopefully 3 of the remaining matches so that record keeps improving, and so we finish as high as possible.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:10 am

50 years wrote:If you think about current positions York not in a good place, (lost tonight again), as chorley and blyth could overtake them if they win there games in hand. In fact if we had won at Telford, Tamworth and Boston ( all winable games to be honest when our team is on song) we would have been three points behind york with a game in hand. May have been interesting end of the season if we had chance to go above them:-)

" up the quakers"
Anyone can beat anyone else in this division; we’ve beaten both Salford and Harrogate this year.

Boston aside, we’ve played consistently well for a while, and we could genuinely aspire for the playoffs next season if we get our recruitments right over the summer.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 am

tezza wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Strange , I thought he had stopped using our badge, however going home after match on Saturday, I was behind his large transit transporter which is still plastered with DFC Badge.
I wonder if things might change before next season, as obviously at the start of this season the 'partnership' between DFC and MGFA was still in operation? I also wonder if we'll see the MGFA advertising board at BM next season too!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Since the Away game v Blyth which was when Tommy officially took charge of games.

League W7 D5 L9
All Comps W7 D5 L10
T.W. gets by my amateur calculations a similar points per game ratio to Gray, just 0.2 less.
And I bet he's done it with a considerably lower budget.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:17 pm

I have no problem with anyone having a board up at Blackwell, it means that it's paid for therefore monies into the club, the more boards that are sold the better the clubs finance will be. Hope to see no spaces left around the ground. Next season.

lifetime darlo fan

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

I hope Gray gets the bullet soon and we can all go back to liking York derby's and recognizing they supported us in our hour of need

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm

I was wondering when MG's academy will stop using our badge. I saw Brian Atkinson wearing one of our training tops the other week.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 pm

XXL ?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 am

York must be going part-time next season, lets see how they do with a much smaller budget. Welcome to the real world.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:York must be going part-time next season, lets see how they do with a much smaller budget. Welcome to the real world.
Rattling buckets time possibly.Feel for the York fans though as they were very supportive to us when we played them at the Arena and must be gutted the way things are unfolding right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 am

Beano wrote:
50 years wrote:If you think about current positions York not in a good place, (lost tonight again), as chorley and blyth could overtake them if they win there games in hand. In fact if we had won at Telford, Tamworth and Boston ( all winable games to be honest when our team is on song) we would have been three points behind york with a game in hand. May have been interesting end of the season if we had chance to go above them:-)

" up the quakers"
Anyone can beat anyone else in this division; we’ve beaten both Salford and Harrogate this year.

Boston aside, we’ve played consistently well for a while, and we could genuinely aspire for the playoffs next season if we get our recruitments right over the summer.
Disagree strongly with that. In three of the last four games have been very poor. Against Tamworth two poor teams slogged out a goalless draw. Telford and we were lucky to get a point, second best all over the park. Boston we looked tired and unmotivated.
At the moment we are playing like a team that thinks it is safe from relegation and there is nothing to play for. Shake them up Tommy or we won't get another point this season.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 am

banktopp wrote:
Beano wrote:

" up the quakers"

Disagree strongly with that. In three of the last four games have been very poor. Against Tamworth two poor teams slogged out a goalless draw. Telford and we were lucky to get a point, second best all over the park. Boston we looked tired and unmotivated.
At the moment we are playing like a team that thinks it is safe from relegation and there is nothing to play for. Shake them up Tommy or we won't get another point this season.
That's a flap if ever there was one.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 am

banktopp wrote: Disagree strongly with that. In three of the last four games have been very poor. Against Tamworth two poor teams slogged out a goalless draw. Telford and we were lucky to get a point, second best all over the park. Boston we looked tired and unmotivated.
Telford beat promotion chasing Spennymoor a few days later, shows our point wasnt that bad after all. Boston had a very good game plan and it worked.
Not quite sure why any game we dont win is to us being "crap" but nothing at all to with the opposition being better than us on the day.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:06 pm

It can be both. For example, Boston were better than us on the day and we were crap, below par and seemed unmotivated.

It doesn't have to be a binary choice.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Darlogramps wrote:It can be both. For example, Boston were better than us on the day and we were crap, below par and seemed unmotivated.

It doesn't have to be a binary choice.
What was more worrying was that the team selected v Boston was what IMO was made up of experienced players, probably the best we could put out from our squad, and the possible exception of Saunders & Vaulks. Nevertheless we just failed to compete in midfield, no attempt to play with any width and consequently failed to get in behind them and supply dangerous balls into the box. Boston were a big side, with a battling attitude and were not afraid of running at our defence so when they got ahead, never looked in danger of letting their lead slip. We need to buck our ideas up and get back to that purple patch of form we had a few weeks ago if we are to bring the crowds necessary for the club to flourish.