York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Breedon
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by Breedon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am

Every poor performance we've had this season has coincided with an opposition that presses the ball all over the pitch. We can't play against that style, and it needs addressing. Some players have lost a yard, some players can't operate without space and luxury of several touches. It was a reminder that we all needed. We're the stereotypical mid table side. Capable of great performances some weeks, but with gaping flaws and capable of being completely outdone by something as basic as pressure and commitment. The season has pretty much petered out at this point, lets see what Tommy can do in the summer.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 am

Breedon wrote:The season has pretty much petered out at this point, lets see what Tommy can do in the summer.
No, it has not. We still need one more win. If results go the wrong way today.....

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:39 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Breedon wrote:The season has pretty much petered out at this point, lets see what Tommy can do in the summer.
No, it has not. We still need one more win. If results go the wrong way today.....
I agree. We could easily lose today. York a while ago had a last game of the season scenario whereby they had to lose and 5 (I could be wrong here) other teams had to win - which is what happened, and they got relegated. Basically you're not safe until the figures say you are, as bad things can happen.

Anyway now seems a good time for my Ferret story - about two or three years ago I was on my way to the annual Spennymoor/Darlo match when the following happened.

I’d arranged to meet someone at the ground, and as I walked by myself past the supporters pub in the dark (for it was an evening kick off) I got the strange sensation of not being completely alone and when I looked down to my left I spotted a blond/fawny coloured Ferret/Polecat type thing trotting along beside me on the pavement, sporting a very glittery gold collar around it’s neck.

We walked along together for quite a while and eventually I got a little concerned because I didn’t want it to run into the road, but on the other hand I didn’t want to pick it up in case it bit me.

Just before the ground it turned left and merrily snook into someones garden while I kept going and made my way into the match.

At the match Martin Gray was beginning to warm up the players on the pitch, but I could tell he wasn’t my friendly Ferret as A) he was slightly bigger in size, and B) he wasn’t wearing a sparkly gold collar around his neck.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh dear dear dear

Gainsbro 1 York 0

Gainsbro down to 10 men in the 24th minute

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:08 pm

:thumbup: York fans chanting”Gray Out “ at Gainsborough.
Been a good day :thumbup:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm loving this.

The sneaky ferret faced fuck resigned from here to go to York on the sly and deny us compensation, as if that wasn't enough after insulting the fans and club at the FF. All to go to a club he thought would be a better club with all the finance required for him to satisfy his spending urges.

Only it turns out that York is a complete clusterfuck and Gray has been found out big style. Sweet, sweet karma.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:45 pm

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... nts-anchor

Read what his programme notes were for the Chorley game. Read Duffy's comments near the end.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Total lack of class by someone who we had all bought into. To still talk about Darlington thinking that ‘rattling buckets’ was the best way to run a club and that being s fan-owned club wouldn’t work in the FL etc. (He may be right on the second point but a)I’m not bothered about FL if it comes at the expense of what we’ve achieved so far and b) Exeter and AFC Wimbledon would beg to differ). He forgets that it was ‘rattling buckets’ by a lot of good folk that paid his wages and funded his lavish recruitment campaigns. He also forgets that York fans have had to ‘hold the baby’ twice in the aftermath of poor/corrupt ownership

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Gray's disrespect and contempt for our club and its fans in those programme notes is almost beyond belief. It has completely tainted his reputation whatever the achievements here.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Totally Lucan. To talk about being fan-owned as being a ‘mentality’ after all we went through with him, supposedly together, is incredulous

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Who is Martin Gray?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 pm

This makes my Saturday even more enjoyable.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 pm

A forensic dissection of Gray and his arrogant, dismissive attitude of everyone who paid for the ladder for him to climb and doesn't' share his view that money and lots of it is the only way to achive success.

I find it hard to believe that a football club, which is a limited company and therefore has to meet certain legal standards, can appoint its auditor as its managing director.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:47 pm

A fan owned club will not pull the rug from underneath your feet. A club run on a whim by a benefactor can. That's for me what makes those notes more incredible. Let's face it, they're just a bitter swipe at the world from someone who knows the game is up and his 'dream job' has turned sour. Soon it'll be back to Eastbourne Sports complex full time for him when York can't pay the wages of the entourage any more.
Also, reading York's Twitter feed, there really is no love lost by the York fans for him. They're in the middle of an absolute injury crisis at the moment, but they have no sympathy for him. I think he lost a lot of the support around Christmas when he wouldn't do interviews and spat his dummy out.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote: Read what his programme notes were for the Chorley game. Read Duffy's comments near the end.
I'm going to quote it here so it's here for all to see.
I was therefore surprised that he returned to that issue in his notes in the Chorley programme with his criticism of the result of the vote and his dismissive comments about what he called a fan-owned mentality based on his experience at Darlo.

Lets look at the facts. Darlington FC was finally liquidated in 2012 in the High Court after a disastrous 9 years under a succession of private owners during which it was put into administration no less than three times.

One of those owners, the late infamous safe-breaker George Reynolds, built a white elephant of a new stadium, which now (I think) hosts rugby matches.

The fans had to start a new phoenix club at the 9th level of the pyramid, which they had to call Darlington 1883, because under FA rules as a new club they couldnt use the old name for 5 years (they reverted to Darlington FC last year).

It was a great achievement to build a new club from scratch at a different ground.

They appointed Martin Gray as manager, and he did very well taking them up the leagues with a series of promotions. If it hadnt been for the fans building the new club, and appointing him, he wouldnt have had the chance to do well which led to him being attractive to York City.

He should say The Darlington fans did a great job in starting a new club and saving the history and traditions of Darlington FC and I will be forever grateful to them for giving me the chance to show what I could do as a manager, which led to Jason McGill coming in for me.

Instead, what did he say in the programme? Still today, Darlington rattle buckets to make the club survive because they feel a fan-owned mentality is the way forward. But let me tell you its not. Talk about arrogance and a lack of class and gratitude! Unbelievable.
What a tw*t - his contempt for us is remarkable considering we gave him the platform which got him his dream job (which he's thoroughly messing up)

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:06 pm

One of the York fans in the York Press tonight in the comments section posted 'A manager who will be out with no payment as he has failed a clause in his contract'. Does this possibly mean that if York don't make the play-offs then they can sack him without compensation?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 pm

al_quaker wrote: Instead, what did he say in the programme? Still today, Darlington rattle buckets to make the club survive because they feel a fan-owned mentality is the way forward. But let me tell you its not. Talk about arrogance and a lack of class and gratitude! Unbelievable.
What a tw*t - his contempt for us is remarkable considering we gave him the platform which got him his dream job (which he's thoroughly messing up)[/quote]

My hatred for this c*** has gone up another three notches now.

We rattle buckets to go towards the ground development. We have a fundraising initiative to "boost the budget", not to make the club survive. The club can actually survive without both, but it is us putting that little bit extra in as owners, to make thinks hopefully a little better than they would have been.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Quakerz wrote: We rattle buckets to go towards the ground development. We have a fundraising initiative to "boost the budget", not to make the club survive. The club can actually survive without both, but it is us putting that little bit extra in as owners, to make thinks hopefully a little better than they would have been.
Indeed.

I'm sure pretty much everyone would prefer that we had a good ground with turnover at a level to support a competitive budget. But we have neither, so we as owners do our bit. No different to York's owner previously putting in money to support York's budget (except we're not going to stop the support next season, nor are we going to get it back from the sale of any assets which belong to the club).

So I'm not quite sure why Gray things it's so embarrassing for Darlo's owners to contribute to the ongoing finances of the football club, yet it is fine for multimillion pound businessmen to do it :problem:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 pm

I try to give Gray a bit of slack out of respect for what he helped us achieve but those programme notes are a kick in the teeth. Tommy is a different class and Gray could learn a lot from him about humility and respect.

polam

Post by polam » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... nts-anchor

Read what his programme notes were for the Chorley game. Read Duffy's comments near the end.
Duffy is the Chair of the Football Supporters' Federation so knows what he is talking about. However his description of GR as "the late George Reynolds" may be a step too far.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Quakerz wrote:
al_quaker wrote: Instead, what did he say in the programme? Still today, Darlington rattle buckets to make the club survive because they feel a fan-owned mentality is the way forward. But let me tell you its not. Talk about arrogance and a lack of class and gratitude! Unbelievable.
What a tw*t - his contempt for us is remarkable considering we gave him the platform which got him his dream job (which he's thoroughly messing up)
My hatred for this c*** has gone up another three notches now.

We rattle buckets to go towards the ground development. We have a fundraising initiative to "boost the budget", not to make the club survive. The club can actually survive without both, but it is us putting that little bit extra in as owners, to make thinks hopefully a little better than they would have been.[/quote]

Bang on.

Don’t most Football Club owners put money in?

Or was it more that we wouldn’t let him dictate how the ship was run that pisses him off?

Either way, I’m glad the c**t is suffering

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:47 pm

It looks bleak for Gray's managerial future but, you know, when one door closes sometimes another one opens.....

Esh Winning FC

We can confirm that Jacky Traynor has stepped down as assistant manager of the club with immediate effect.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:27 pm

loan_star wrote:I try to give Gray a bit of slack out of respect for what he helped us achieve but those programme notes are a kick in the teeth. Tommy is a different class and Gray could learn a lot from him about humility and respect.
Agree with this (we need to stop agreeing loan_star).

I respect what Gray achieved here - three promotions in four seasons from a starting point of two players is terrific.

I also don't agree with the revisionist nature of some fans, who were massive Gray cheerleaders when he was here, but pretend to have always known what he was like.

But the lack of class and humility he's show since leaving has been appalling. Resigning then rocking up two hours later at York and trying to treat everyone for fools, persistent jibes about finance and little recognition for the fans. All he needed to do was say "I'm grateful for my time at Darlington, but now is a chance to progress my career at a full time club."

Evidently he still remains bitter about the money, which is bizarre, given we lobbed him a £40k bribe (the first Boost the Budget) to keep him on board last summer.

But Gray's obsession with money exposes his weakness. He's only ever any good when it's not level playing field. But now the league isn't so one-sided he's being found out. He needs money to be a success.

Should it come as a surprise he's like this? No. He ran Darlington like his own fiefdom, bullying others into getting his own way. Considering he was "just" the manager, the influence and power he had was ridiculous.

And yeah, I may have my doubts about TW as a manager, but his conduct is unquestionably so much more respectful and frankly pleasant. The club does feel, from the outside looking in, a lot more pleasant to be a part of.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:46 pm

From the York City forum
nsborough/

Martin Gray: "I couldn’t put James Gray on, because the fans hammer him even before he gets on the pitch. Two weeks ago, he scored the winner, which was great but, when he was warming up (at Gainsborough), the fans were destroying him".

Not *some* fans. Not a *section* of the fans.

*The* fans.

Trying to throw under the bus the supporters who *still* travel to see his motley crew of mercenary frauds disgrace the club.

The man is beneath contempt
To be fair James Gray is utter shite

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:23 am

Penney already starting a rearguard campaign to keep MG in post for next season despite the justifiable demands from the fans for change. With financial losses over £265k this season (mainly due to wages), parachute payments ceasing and no bonus from winning the FA Trophy this year, plus no celebrity benefactor waiting in the wings, MG must be regretting his betrayal of DFC. Instead, he continues to twist on and belittle our efforts to create a viable fan owned club which is financially sustainable. Yes he did play a great role in getting us up the first rungs of the leagues, but then became self-deluded about his managerial ability. To paraphrase Monty Python, he is not the Messiah. He is a very naughty ferret - who deserves all the grief that York City fans want to vent upon him.

Just worried that the promised pre-season friendly, due to us as 'compensation' when he left to go to York, will never take place against City. We will be lucky if it isn't the MG Academy!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 am

Gray's days are limited, when he doesn't deliver them into the playoffs. No sympathy for the arrogant sod, what goes round comes round.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 am

Just listened to MG's interview with Radio York following yesterday's defeat at Gainsborough. Sounds like a broken man to me. The dynamics of the interview were very interesting. Because the reporter isn't part of the York City's media team he was able to be far more incisive with questions, which continually had MG on the back foot. Never ever heard MG so humble before. Loved it!!!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 am

loan_star wrote:I try to give Gray a bit of slack out of respect for what he helped us achieve but those programme notes are a kick in the teeth. Tommy is a different class and Gray could learn a lot from him about humility and respect.
The whole episode is tinged with sadness for me. Gray delivered some of the best times we're likely to ever have following this club. When you look at his record for us, he should have left with well wishes and fond memories.

But the way he tried to engineer Singh into the club for his own personal gain, the way he engineered his departure, and the way he's spoken about us and fan ownership since he's been at York have completely tainted his legacy at DFC. As you say, he needs to learn some humility and respect. As he's finding out, people will tolerate it when things are going well, but they sure won't when things are going badly.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:30 pm

I couldn’t put James Gray on, because the fans hammer him even before he gets on the pitch.
So what's the point having him on the bench at all if MG is going to let the fans influence his team selection/substitutions?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Agree with this (we need to stop agreeing loan_star).

I respect what Gray achieved here - three promotions in four seasons from a starting point of two players is terrific.

I also don't agree with the revisionist nature of some fans, who were massive Gray cheerleaders when he was here, but pretend to have always known what he was like.

But the lack of class and humility he's show since leaving has been appalling. Resigning then rocking up two hours later at York and trying to treat everyone for fools, persistent jibes about finance and little recognition for the fans. All he needed to do was say "I'm grateful for my time at Darlington, but now is a chance to progress my career at a full time club."

Evidently he still remains bitter about the money, which is bizarre, given we lobbed him a £40k bribe (the first Boost the Budget) to keep him on board last summer.

But Gray's obsession with money exposes his weakness. He's only ever any good when it's not level playing field. But now the league isn't so one-sided he's being found out. He needs money to be a success.

Should it come as a surprise he's like this? No. He ran Darlington like his own fiefdom, bullying others into getting his own way. Considering he was "just" the manager, the influence and power he had was ridiculous.

And yeah, I may have my doubts about TW as a manager, but his conduct is unquestionably so much more respectful and frankly pleasant. The club does feel, from the outside looking in, a lot more pleasant to be a part of.
Yeh this agreeing with you does seem strange :lol:
Great post by the way!