Coming soon - Boost the budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming soon - Boost the budget

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm

I would think that any 20k prize would be going straight into covering the shortfall rather than BTB.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:07 pm

Whatever- just get voting!!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:00 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:I would think that any 20k prize would be going straight into covering the shortfall rather than BTB.

As I mentioned after the recent fans forum, the £60k we raised very quickly after the Dolphin centre meeting was supposed to clear any remaining debt and give us a cash flow buffer. I think we are entitled to know why this has not happened as it was a clear plea at the time for a one off fans contribution to put us on a clear financial footing.

When I asked, all I got was vague answers like “ it has certainly helped but....”

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:37 am

If, as now seems likely, we don't make the full £80K what should TW do? Does he run with what he has, settle for an uninspiring season in mid table and hope for a good cup run to boost the finances. If so it runs the risk that attendances will drop again, which is the last thing we need. Or does he make up the shortfall by selling a player and have a better chance of challenging for the play offs.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:15 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:I would think that any 20k prize would be going straight into covering the shortfall rather than BTB.

As I mentioned after the recent fans forum, the £60k we raised very quickly after the Dolphin centre meeting was supposed to clear any remaining debt and give us a cash flow buffer. I think we are entitled to know why this has not happened as it was a clear plea at the time for a one off fans contribution to put us on a clear financial footing.

When I asked, all I got was vague answers like “ it has certainly helped but....”
That’s because no one can be certain what revenue we’d expect to bank in the forthcoming fixtures. Bigger crowds = less shortfall, smaller crowds = more

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:13 am

divas wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:

That’s because no one can be certain what revenue we’d expect to bank in the forthcoming fixtures. Bigger crowds = less shortfall, smaller crowds = more
The answer seems simple, but painful: we must plan cautiously for smaller crowds.

This may mean a reduced budget, but this is the only credible action. If crowds grow above expectation, then we can begin to build a surplus to prevent future cash-flow problems.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:54 am

dfc4me wrote:If, as now seems likely, we don't make the full £80K what should TW do? Does he run with what he has, settle for an uninspiring season in mid table and hope for a good cup run to boost the finances. If so it runs the risk that attendances will drop again, which is the last thing we need. Or does he make up the shortfall by selling a player and have a better chance of challenging for the play offs.
He'll have to wheel and deal as best he can.

I don't see why the current squad with a bit of tweaking can't put a play-off challenge together. Take out that disastrous mid-season slump and we'd be there or thereabouts this season.

We'll have to trim a couple from the squad, but we have a couple who have featured very rarely for various reasons so I don't think headcount would become an issue.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Quakerlad wrote:

Because gates have been relatively poor recently.

This season seems to have been really poor weather-wise. Chorley, Curzon Ashton, North Ferriby and Boston for example. You can guarantee that the weather in the build-up before these games will have knocked 100/200 off the attendance. It puts people off.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Quakerz wrote:If we raise 80k through boost the budget then 170k + 80k = 250k. If I'm correct, and Tommy thinks a nice round 250k will be enough to have a shot at the play offs then you have to admire that, because it's still less than than the current budget.
To be fair, that was the level of budget that MG had when we made the play-offs last season, albeit he did also spend close to £100k on "other staff", which I presume will be significantly reduced under TW. Madness.

Problem for TW going forward is not only reducing our current budget to c£250k, but also having the scope to bring in players he wants. We're carrying numbers with too many contracted beyond this season.

We need a summer of significant changes.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Spyman wrote:He'll have to wheel and deal as best he can.

I don't see why the current squad with a bit of tweaking can't put a play-off challenge together. Take out that disastrous mid-season slump and we'd be there or thereabouts this season.

We'll have to trim a couple from the squad, but we have a couple who have featured very rarely for various reasons so I don't think headcount would become an issue.
Spot on.

We can use the reserves/youths for the fringe squad places, instead of paying Mills, Marrs, Burgess, etc; we can certainly lose a few of those fringe senior players with little impact on the overall quality of the squad.

We could also use the loan system much better, as Tommy Wright has begun to do, with Pears a stellar example.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:32 am

Back to the subject of the thread, I've noticed that having reduced to a crawl in the last week or so the fund has now come to a complete halt over the last couple of days. While the previous fund to raise £40,000 was achieve with 180 people the current fund total is at nearly £47,000 from just over 200 people. Dare I say it that it looks as if it's the same portion of the total fan base that is keeping the place afloat and as others have said, just the tiniest commitment by the other 1,000 plus fans would make a great deal of impact on getting near to the £80,000. I know there are reasons why some people would struggle to squeeze money out of already tight budgets, but one less pint a week ( as recently recommended by the health police) and we wouldn't be far off.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Am I the only one that finds it funny this is not permanently on the Darlo homepage?

Possibly good to promote this at Saturday and Wednesdays home games for a final push, pushing it over the broadcasts during the game, (including the radio broadcasts), and being sold positively for next season. Even investing £1 per week in it would make it affordable for most I would think, and would raise a substantial amount over the year, (500 x £1 x 52 = £26,000).

Also wonder if the final date should be extended to at least the beginning of next season, if we get some good vibes during the close season it may encourage more donations possibly, (last year there was nothing coming out of the club during the break which I feel led to a quiet feeling around the club at the beginning of the season).

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:12 am

50 years wrote:Am I the only one that finds it funny this is not permanently on the Darlo homepage?

Possibly good to promote this at Saturday and Wednesdays home games for a final push, pushing it over the broadcasts during the game, (including the radio broadcasts), and being sold positively for next season. Even investing £1 per week in it would make it affordable for most I would think, and would raise a substantial amount over the year, (500 x £1 x 52 = £26,000).

Also wonder if the final date should be extended to at least the beginning of next season, if we get some good vibes during the close season it may encourage more donations possibly, (last year there was nothing coming out of the club during the break which I feel led to a quiet feeling around the club at the beginning of the season).
I suspect they have set the end of April so Tommy knows his budget. Don't think the concept of crowd funding is fully understood and it maybe that some people still think st or entrance fee fully pays for the standard of player they want to watch. There have been more posts on this thread than contributors and over 18k views so it may be those not on social media who are not fully aware

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 am

48k up :thumbup:

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Pledges flying in again after the 20k news .Someone just pledged £1300.Well done whoever you are.Can actually see us getting close to the 80k target now as the total so far is just short of £50,000.Unbelievable support.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Emdubya wrote:Pledges flying in again after the 20k news .Someone just pledged £1300.Well done whoever you are.Can actually see us getting close to the 80k target now as the total so far is just short of £50,000.Unbelievable support.
Usually spikes towards the end too, I can see us hitting it or coming very close

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 pm

£50384 from 222 investors.

The last two pledges have been for £1,300 and £910. Let's hope that neither of these are mistakes.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:02 pm

And another £520 donation - some big contributions today!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm

The pace of pledges is picking up again - now £52,206 from 229 investors!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Quakerz wrote:The pace of pledges is picking up again - now £52,206 from 229 investors!
Phenomenal effort this, incredible fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Excellent stuff!

Hopefully the pace of contributions continues to pick up as we near the end of April. 300 investors at the current rate would see us close to 70k, which would I'm sure be a big boost for Wright and White.

Any contributions, big or small, lump sums or direct debits, are (hopefully!) investments in a more exciting season next year. Would only take a one-off £20 from everyone who will attend our next home game who hasn't donated yet and we'd be pretty much at 80k and the budget to expect a playoff push and all the excitement and big games that entails

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:05 pm

£53k mark ticked off....now £53,106 pledged.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am

We've been nothing short of amazing as fans.

I notice that even if we raise the 80k, we are still running a 10% cut, it good that we've assessed and decided a reasonable level we can be competitive with, and better that TW does come across as embracing what the club needs to do to avoid issues of the past.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:00 pm

shawry wrote:We've been nothing short of amazing as fans.

I notice that even if we raise the 80k, we are still running a 10% cut, it good that we've assessed and decided a reasonable level we can be competitive with, and better that TW does come across as embracing what the club needs to do to avoid issues of the past.

Even a 10% cut (should we raise the £80k) is still a very competitive budget at this level, and I wouldn't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Anyway...£54k now up with £54,066 now raised. Hopefully we can see a late surge going in to the last week of the fundraising drive. Will personally be increasing my pledge as you can see the type of side that TW & AW are trying to develop here.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
shawry wrote:We've been nothing short of amazing as fans.

Even a 10% cut (should we raise the £80k) is still a very competitive budget at this level, and I wouldn't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Anyway...£54k now up with £54,066 now raised. Hopefully we can see a late surge going in to the last week of the fundraising drive. Will personally be increasing my pledge as you can see the type of side that TW & AW are trying to develop here.
Oh absolutely, I understand that the budget is competitive, I just hadn't realised we would still be having a cut if we raised the 80k.

I'm for this as there is no point having an inflated budget to achieve the same goal, and reducing it removes some of the pressure.

If our past efforts are emulated we might hit 60k which is an absolutely mammoth effort..already looking forward to next season :)

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 am

I know the reason BTB is closing end of April is so TW will know what his budget is in plenty of time to plan ahead but is there any reason why it can't be left open for another month or two and then, hopefully, give TW's budget a bonus boost later.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 am

dfc4me wrote:I know the reason BTB is closing end of April is so TW will know what his budget is in plenty of time to plan ahead but is there any reason why it can't be left open for another month or two and then, hopefully, give TW's budget a bonus boost later.
Not sure I'd want to At this point we've raised enough to have us on the fringes of the play offs, I'd rather any fundraising moving forward for next season was for the 4g pitch to give us a potential extra revenue stream.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:45 am

Nearly 55k up...

£54,716 from 246 investors.

We're on the last stretch, 7 days remaining, so it will be interesting to see if the pace of pledges starts to pick up now.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:40 am

A late spike would be very welcome - I think there's a few people waiting until their old ones finish before kicking off a new one, so fingers crossed.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:06 pm

shawry wrote:
dfc4me wrote:I know the reason BTB is closing end of April is so TW will know what his budget is in plenty of time to plan ahead but is there any reason why it can't be left open for another month or two and then, hopefully, give TW's budget a bonus boost later.
Not sure I'd want to At this point we've raised enough to have us on the fringes of the play offs, I'd rather any fundraising moving forward for next season was for the 4g pitch to give us a potential extra revenue stream.

Agree with this - I think once we've done enough to give us what should be a realistic shot at a playoff place, we should then divert focus back towards infrastructure.

A play-off push and a reasonably stable season on the pitch should help attendances grow gradually and if by some chance we end up in the play-offs and potentially heading up then at least we know we've got everything in order and more focus on the revenue streams required to sustain football in the National League.

If we were to end up looking at promotion in a years time and had failed to move off-field revenues forward signicantly then we'd have set ourselves up for a huge fall.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC