FCUM v Darlington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

The Golden Hairclip
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm

We won 1-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsr

Re: FCUM v Darlington Match Thread

Post by dsr » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 pm

I had a quick look once or twice, to see if there was a thread. The first time that none has existed until after the game has finished? I guess that the radio broadcasts + Flashscores have taken over for just about everyone who cannot make a particular game.

Oh yes, a good result! Did we deserve it? How was the game?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Should have been at least 3-0 up at half time, but poor finishing resulted in us going in at the break 1-1. Second half was a much scrappier affair with a comical error from their goalkeeper allowing Styche in to tap home.

Deserved 3 points.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:05 pm

We should have been out of sight by half time but thankfully got the the job done in the end. They did have 12 men when you include the dreadful ref.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Seems like Styche needs an extra partner / replacement, for when he is struggling. Serious bit of the season is over, with the new lads cancelling out the MG debacle. Now there are 4 fun games available for Darlo to overtake York.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Enjoyed your comment on York City's Twitter Neil. You off to Holland?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:20 pm

We could have scored five in the first half, weren't as sharp second. We're a better team when trotman is playing, o'hanlon was very good too. Nobody really played badly today. Pressed fcum well, they were toss at the back.

Second goal was a good long ball forward by Thompson, keeper made an absolute balls up of it, styche wandered in so slowly I thought play had stopped for a second, then whacked it in. Weird goal.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:57 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We should have been out of sight by half time but thankfully got the the job done in the end. They did have 12 men when you include the dreadful ref.
Saying he was dreadful is being kind... Fook he was god damn awful never seen a worst one even in the Northern they were better..

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Haven't seen a game for a while but very impressed with the teams efforts today. The defence is so much more solid now and with Heaton outstanding there's not that old nagging worry every time the other side attacks. Gillies played well today and Styche is a great "in your face" addition. We should have been comfy by half time but we did the job and it was great to see familiar faces on the terrace. Well done lads!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 pm

I for one thoroughly enjoyed that. The whole team played like they wanted to win, (as opposed to Tamworth, Telford and Boston where we seemed to have lost that sparkle). No bad performances and lots of chances, (a few you would have bet on Styche scoring).
It is a nice ground, the FC fans I met all seemed canny and sun was shining, brilliant day.
I questioned why I had bought the tickets after the Boston game and watching Telford and Tamworth games but really glad I did. Entertaining and you could tell at the end how pleased the players were, (and the fans). That game should give them a lift for the last few games.
Does Tommy now give the young lads a run out in the last few games as we are safe or does he try and catch York :).

"Up the Quakers"

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:17 pm

In the pre-match interview for FCUM, Tommy says he'll play the kids only if they go to Stockport with no possibility of dropping down any places. So if he sticks to his word, there's your answer.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Quite noticeable for me today was the omission of certain players from, not just the 16-man squad, but the travelling squad as a whole. No sign of Brown, Scott or Mills.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm

I like many have been frustrated by Gillies hot and cold performances for us this season. No one doubts his ability, it is his commitment that lacks sometimes. So credit where it is due, I thought he had a great game today, never stopped running with the ball and closing down when he had to. Same again next game please!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 pm

bga wrote:I like many have been frustrated by Gillies hot and cold performances for us this season. No one doubts his ability, it is his commitment that lacks sometimes. So credit where it is due, I thought he had a great game today, never stopped running with the ball and closing down when he had to. Same again next game please!
Loves the sunshine.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Quite noticeable for me today was the omission of certain players from, not just the 16-man squad, but the travelling squad as a whole. No sign of Brown, Scott or Mills.

I reckon Brown might be on his way. Not sure how I feel about that, love his attitude, but Tommy Wright just doesn't seem to be feeling him.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:42 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Quite noticeable for me today was the omission of certain players from, not just the 16-man squad, but the travelling squad as a whole. No sign of Brown, Scott or Mills.

I reckon Brown might be on his way. Not sure how I feel about that, love his attitude, but Tommy Wright just doesn't seem to be feeling him.
The thing is, the budget is getting cut next season regardless. So we are going to have to operate on a 17/18 man squad next season to fully maximise that.

We are heading in to next season with Galbraith, Heaton, Collins, Brown, Burgess & Vaulks, plus Hunter can cover there as I think Trotman will be our primary right-back next season. That's too many and I suspect that we will see 2 moved on over the summer.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 pm

tdk1 wrote:

The massive improvement in our defensive record has come since Brown has been out of the side. We look so much better at the back now, whereas we always looked so vulnerable with Brown in the center. Unfortunately he has limitations and I don't see any place for him next season.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 am

The massive improvement has coincided with Trotman and O'Hanlon appearing together as full backs and us settling on a back four. I think you are being unduly harsh on Brown, but that seems to be the norm.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:57 am

No coincidence that when Trotman & O'Hanlon are in the team, we are able to play it out from the back with penetration down the flanks and create chances. As someone said, we need support for Styche & Syers up front but would like to see Saunders break through. Keep faith with the lad & put him and some other youngsters into the next few games as preparation for next season. Portas, Vaulks & Collins would all benefit from minutes played on the pitch so again TW could experiment in the last few games this season, which would also give the fans something to interest us :thumbup:

PS sounded like everyone had another great day out at FCUM. Up the Quakers

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 am

How Darlo were not 4 up at HT I will never know.

Bad mistake by the FC keeper but Darlo deserved the points overall.Good to see that the wannabe hoolies that followed FC when they first started appear to have left after they got bored not getting promotions every season.

Good set up they have,free coaches from the Metro station and after the game back to Manc was very welcome.

The support from Darlo fans was brilliant second half with a "cheer leader" getting everyone going.You could see it lifted the team.

On a personal note I loved the F@@k off united,Manchester is Blue chant!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 am

tdk1 wrote:
bga wrote:I like many have been frustrated by Gillies hot and cold performances for us this season. No one doubts his ability, it is his commitment that lacks sometimes. So credit where it is due, I thought he had a great game today, never stopped running with the ball and closing down when he had to. Same again next game please!
Loves the sunshine.
Exactly. He is an August - October and spring months player.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 am

tdk1 wrote:

Yep, Brown has been a fantastic servant to this club but Heaton and Galbraith at CB are better, we only need to look at the goals conceded column since they paired up to see that.

As we have Vaulks in reserve, who is a good one for the future, and Collins still contracted, there's 4 centre backs.

On top of that we have Hunter who will be given a chance to prove his fitness and earn another contract

It may well be the case that we can't get rid of Burgess either, and he may sit on the wage bill for another year.

If Brown is out of contract and is not getting near the first team then it's obvious that he will be released :cry:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am

I think Brown, like Burgess, is contracted to the end of the 18/19 season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 am

Brown's days are numbered, but this shouldn't cloud over his performances over the years. He has been a great ambassador for the club, which he loves.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

Brown and Burgess have both been excellent for us in previous seasons and made huge contributions to where we are now.

We’ve now reached a level above their ability and should wish them both well and allow them to leave on free transfers with a fond goodbye.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:42 am

Darlo were superb in the first half and should have scored 3 or 4. Styche missed 2 sitters which would have put the game beyond FCUM's reach at half time.

They played some excellent free-flowing football, worked really hard and dominated in the first half.

Second half was a bit scrappy but Darlo were still the better side and played the better football.

Only concern for Darlo was set-pieces for FCUM with players sometimes not picking up opposition players.

HarrytheQuaker

Re: Not happy at York

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:10 pm

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018041 ... 498d74.jpg[/img]
Darlofan97 wrote:I think Brown, like Burgess, is contracted to the end of the 18/19 season.
Don't know how this popped up on here

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Browny is still injured and probably won't make another game this season..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk