Well done Tommy

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Well done Tommy

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 am

Of course I can complain if people are abusive. What I've said is fairly minor in comparison to some of the insults that have been hurled my way. I've never tried to pretend I'm a saint. Apparently though it's fine to insult my family and mental health....

All I'm saying is I think it was daft, unfair and a lazy mischaracterisation to say critics of Wright were wanting instant success. There's no evidence for that, and it's simply not the case. It's frustrating that any criticism of Saint Tommy gets repeatedly twisted in this way.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote: All I'm saying is I think it was daft, unfair and a lazy mischaracterisation to say critics of Wright were wanting instant success. There's no evidence (that you have) for that, and it's simply not the case. It's frustrating that any criticism of Saint Tommy gets repeatedly twisted in this way.
the above is a better response DG.

your moron comment is uncalled for.

you may have had abuse yourself and I'm sorry to hear that. but two wrongs don't make a right.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Another thread taken over by pointless arguments.

Sort it out lads for gods sake.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: All I'm saying is I think it was daft, unfair and a lazy mischaracterisation to say critics of Wright were wanting instant success. There's no evidence (that you have) for that, and it's simply not the case. It's frustrating that any criticism of Saint Tommy gets repeatedly twisted in this way.

you may have had abuse yourself and I'm sorry to hear that. but two wrongs don't make a right.
There's no "may" about it. But it's ok, it's only me after all.
Anyway the rules are established now. Calling someone a moron isn't ok but saying they have mental health issues and insulting their family is. Glad that's been sorted.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:

Anyway the rules are established now. Calling someone a moron isn't ok but saying they have mental health issues and insulting their family is. Glad that's been sorted.
I say 'may' DG because I can only recall abuse thrown at you and not your family. As I said, that's not on.

I can't recall 50 Years aiming any abuse at you previously - but happy to be proved wrong.

in either case, uncalled for abuse is wrong for both parties. Partic in this case as I didn't read 50 Years comments as being overly strong. Your response felt like quite an out of character outburst from you DG.

I think the messageboard is dragging you down.

give it a few more years and you'll be the next Neil Johnson.....

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:

I say 'may' DG because I can only recall abuse thrown at you and not your family. As I said, that's not on.

I can't recall 50 Years aiming any abuse at you previously - but happy to be proved wrong.

in either case, uncalled for abuse is wrong for both parties. Partic in this case as I didn't read 50 Years comments as being overly strong. Your response felt like quite an out of character outburst from you DG.

I think the messageboard is dragging you down.

give it a few more years and you'll be the next Neil Johnson.....
Bit harsh on Neil Johnson who I know to be a passionate supporter of many years.
Does sometimes talk in riddles though, but never gets into arguments or is abusive.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 pm

correct banktopp - no offense to Neil. more a light hearted comment that DG's high standards of intellect, logic and debate may be on the wane

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Gramps have you ever felt like the majority of people on here who post, don't hold your opinions on TW & AW? We were already in freefall when TW took over, it was a question of addressing the issues, bringing in and bedding new players and giving the team the confidence to start performing again. TW deserves a massive pat on the back for what he has achieved over a relatively short space of time.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote: We were already in freefall when TW took over, it was a question of addressing the issues, bringing in and bedding new players
"bedding new players" :o :o

That's taking 'the friendly club' tagline to an extreme.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Gramps have you ever felt like the majority of people on here who post, don't hold your opinions on TW & AW? We were already in freefall when TW took over, it was a question of addressing the issues, bringing in and bedding new players and giving the team the confidence to start performing again. TW deserves a massive pat on the back for what he has achieved over a relatively short space of time.
Why does it matter if others do or don't share his opinions? He's backed them up just as some have backed up their differing opinions.

Maybe we could call off the witch hunt and get back to agreeing that Wright has done well to steady the ship after a very shaky start (which showed very little sign of being steadied in January).

Next season will be a clean slate and I hope we'll all be in a position to continue agreeing (critically) that he's doing a good job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Wow a bit harsh Darlogramps!

To clarify the point that you took exception too, I talked to a fair few supporters when TW took over and they were expecting an instant improving bounce in results, (as often happens when a new manager takes over), and were not happy when it didn't happen.

Conversely I also talked to supporters who understood the challenge that TW & AW had inherited and we're expecting it to take some time, which is why I used the word "some".

On a personal note re your calling me. I don't know you, (unless I have inadvertently had a drink or chat with you at any of the home or away games), and to be honest to busy enjoying life (and the football of course) to not get into a response.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Gramps have you ever felt like the majority of people on here who post, don't hold your opinions on TW & AW? We were already in freefall when TW took over, it was a question of addressing the issues, bringing in and bedding new players and giving the team the confidence to start performing again. TW deserves a massive pat on the back for what he has achieved over a relatively short space of time.
Pete - I genuinely couldn't give a s*** whether a majority of people agree with me about TW or not. For some reason you need to be in the majority as you bring it up all the time. Maybe that speaks for your own insecurity, I don't know.

Either way, I'm fully aware I hold a minority view when it comes to TW - but I've backed it up in the face of repeated condesencion and mischaracterisation from others. It doesn't make it any less legitimate.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:34 pm

50 years wrote:Wow a bit harsh Darlogramps!

To clarify the point that you took exception too, I talked to a fair few supporters when TW took over and they were expecting an instant improving bounce in results, (as often happens when a new manager takes over), and were not happy when it didn't happen.

Conversely I also talked to supporters who understood the challenge that TW & AW had inherited and we're expecting it to take some time, which is why I used the word "some".

On a personal note re your calling me. I don't know you, (unless I have inadvertently had a drink or chat with you at any of the home or away games), and to be honest to busy enjoying life (and the football of course) to not get into a response.
50 years - my insult towards you was over the top and I apologise for that. I thank you for your dignified reply and explanation (more reasonable than some of those who chose to be faux-outraged on your behalf). Wonder if they'll be similarly outraged next time someone receives a minor insult?

But my outburst was borne through a repeated frustration about my criticisms of TW being mischaracterized. I've had people on this thread question my support for the club (apparently I'd rather watch the club fail just to be proved correct) and question the sincerity of any praise I've given Wright (apparently it's only grudging). None of that is true. I want TW to do well but it is possible not to be convinced by him at the same time.

Then I see someone suggesting Wright critics wanted instant success. I personally didn't and I'm yet to meet any reasonable fan who has. That's what I was questioning (albeit in a rather abrupt manner!)

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 am

Just to change the subject slightly - Blyth and Alun Armstrong.

When Tommy first took over and we were stuck in that rut of 1-1-7 in his first 9 league games, I have to say that I had grave doubts about Tommy, and was looking jealously at "what we could have had" with AA, as he seemed a bright young manager doing great things at Blyth.

Look at him now though, they have lost 7 on the bounce including a defeat to North Ferriby and he seems powerless to stop it. Maybe we didn't miss out on the better manager after all.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:28 am

It's a bonkers league! There are three teams who just don't want promotion - that would be Spennymoor, York and Blyth.

It seems they are having a little competition between themselves to see who can implode in the most spectacular way.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:47 am

I have to say that I didn't have a clue as to who we should have selected as manager.. Fortunately this was carried out by people with a far better grasp than me.
When TW and AW were selected I was more than happy as they had a Darlo connection..
I never woried too much when we dropped into the relegation places (as my friends will confirm) as I expected us to pull through.. I expected us to be just above the relegation places but with quite a few points to spare.. Everyone was beating everyone so the league was/is a lot closer than I expected.
I think that the appointment of TW and AW as management team has been a real success, They took over when the team had a losing attitude with several players going through the motions and not really up to the league standard. They also lost all of the backroom and the continuity that would have been there.. In addition, most ofthe budget had been spent.
Our two best players (IMO) also left and were soon followed by our player of the year.
TW and AW had a real close look at the players we had left and if those players could carry us through, yes it took longer than most of us would have liked but it was thorough. It is difficult to move players on when they are under contract.
We now have a taem that plays watchable football (I hated the MG hoofball and stated it on here many times), We also have a young team and hopefully some of them will go on to be football league professionals. We also have a management team that can work within a budget.
I for one am looking forward to next season already.
Well done TW and AW for your work this season ... And thanks to those who did the selecting. Great choice.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

My opinion wrote:I have to say that I didn't have a clue as to who we should have selected as manager.. Fortunately this was carried out by people with a far better grasp than me.
When TW and AW were selected I was more than happy as they had a Darlo connection..
I never woried too much when we dropped into the relegation places (as my friends will confirm) as I expected us to pull through.. I expected us to be just above the relegation places but with quite a few points to spare.. Everyone was beating everyone so the league was/is a lot closer than I expected.
I think that the appointment of TW and AW as management team has been a real success, They took over when the team had a losing attitude with several players going through the motions and not really up to the league standard. They also lost all of the backroom and the continuity that would have been there.. In addition, most ofthe budget had been spent.
Our two best players (IMO) also left and were soon followed by our player of the year.
TW and AW had a real close look at the players we had left and if those players could carry us through, yes it took longer than most of us would have liked but it was thorough. It is difficult to move players on when they are under contract.
We now have a taem that plays watchable football (I hated the MG hoofball and stated it on here many times), We also have a young team and hopefully some of them will go on to be football league professionals. We also have a management team that can work within a budget.
Well done TW and AW for your work this season ... And thanks to those who did the selecting. Great choice.
oh lord. Darlogramps - please do not begin to pen a reply to this otherwise you'll have an aneurysm!

tickles me when (any) fans have this idea that people with a connection to a club makes future playing related appointments more palatable. Little, Knowles, Hodgson, Penney I don't think had any connection with us before arriving and did OK.

TW and AW being thorough about assessing players at their disposal? I'd expect any manager to do this to be honest.

Still think TW was more forced into finding the right formula for us. Not complaining, Bonaparte is often attributed to the quote of preferring lucky generals to good ones....

as TW says, avoiding relegation isn't success. I do think we have a decent chance of being in the play offs next season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
as TW says, avoiding relegation isn't success. I do think we have a decent chance of being in the play offs next season.
Something I like, and think has helped the boost the budget, is that some expectations have been set and the way they've been worded, it is as if Wright is setting some clear and measurable objectives.

"give me this much money and my target will be to achieve a play-off challenge".

It means he can quite easily held to account but only against the resources we have provided him with which probably makes the Board's decision somewhat easier if they get into the situation of having to discuss sacking the Manager.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
My opinion wrote:I have to say that I didn't have a clue as to who we should have selected as manager.. Fortunately this was carried out by people with a far better grasp than me.
oh lord. Darlogramps - please do not begin to pen a reply to this otherwise you'll have an aneurysm!

tickles me when (any) fans have this idea that people with a connection to a club makes future playing related appointments more palatable. Little, Knowles, Hodgson, Penney I don't think had any connection with us before arriving and did OK.

TW and AW being thorough about assessing players at their disposal? I'd expect any manager to do this to be honest.

Still think TW was more forced into finding the right formula for us. Not complaining, Bonaparte is often attributed to the quote of preferring lucky generals to good ones....

Erm...
I don't really care what you, Gramps or anyone else does.. They can type whatever they like.
I was expressing my opinion, if it doesnt' match yours or Gramps, then that is your opinion.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:12 pm

My opinion wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:

Erm...
I don't really care what you, Gramps or anyone else does.. They can type whatever they like.
I was expressing my opinion, if it doesnt' match yours or Gramps, then that is your opinion.
and again - quite right MO - as you say, your opinion and you're absolutely entitled to be happy when we appoint personnel with a darlo connection.

my opinion is I don't care if they have a connection or not. happy to be proved wrong, but I'd imagine our best managers and players have had rock all to do with the club previously. hence it merely amuses me to see fans of all clubs see this previous connection as a pleasing factor.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Last 14 matches (exactly 1/3rd of a season) we are W8 D4 L2.

Now I'm not calling Tommy the messiah, because at the end of the day when we were W1 D1 L7 in his first 9 I was calling his appointment a mistake - BUT - that's one hell of a turnaround over a good length of time too.

In hindsight, he took over a team in freefall which had won 1 of the last 11 or 12 under Gray, and now he's been able to mould his team we're reaping the rewards.

We need to capitalise on this and really smash home those next two home matches - finish as high as possible, finish above York hopefully. No doubt TW will want to get one over on Nuneaton, and they over him, should be a good match.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017