York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Do you know what. I just think that York City, the club and all the supporters, have simply lost the sense of fun. Everything about the set up is just grim and too bloody serious. Their fans go to the matches demanding 3 points. It rubs off on their players who are scared on the pitch.They're so fixated about getting out of the league that they've forgotten to enjoy the journey. The fact we've won the Non-League challenge is indicative of the fact that we as supporters, players and club tend to approach things with a smile on our face. Reece Styche is a character that TW brought in who obviously takes it seriously but does it with a sense of fun, hence the diving into the snow which won us the money, and this was during our shocking run as well. When TW talked about Reece Styche when signing him, he said 'He'll be a cult hero', and I think he sensed that there was a bit of an atmosphere around this club at the time, hence signing a larger than life character like Reece to lift the mood, and boy has it been lifted. If you see TW and AW at games, they're there having a bit of light-hearted banter with the fans before during and after. Sean Gregan was seen having a laugh at York in the stand during a match when they were losing and he was absolutely pilloried by the fans. I mean, for God's sake! Another example, our chief executive singing lead vocals in a gig, as well as helping clear the snow before Chorley. They work hard, they play hard. I really enjoy the atmosphere around our club at the moment and it couldn't be further removed from York. If you don't enjoy the journey, you may as well not be having it.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Do you know what. I just think that York City, the club and all the supporters, have simply lost the sense of fun. Everything about the set up is just grim and too bloody serious. Their fans go to the matches demanding 3 points. It rubs off on their players who are scared on the pitch.They're so fixated about getting out of the league that they've forgotten to enjoy the journey. The fact we've won the Non-League challenge is indicative of the fact that we as supporters, players and club tend to approach things with a smile on our face. Reece Styche is a character that TW brought in who obviously takes it seriously but does it with a sense of fun, hence the diving into the snow which won us the money, and this was during our shocking run as well. When TW talked about Reece Styche when signing him, he said 'He'll be a cult hero', and I think he sensed that there was a bit of an atmosphere around this club at the time, hence signing a larger than life character like Reece to lift the mood, and boy has it been lifted. If you see TW and AW at games, they're there having a bit of light-hearted banter with the fans before during and after. Sean Gregan was seen having a laugh at York in the stand during a match when they were losing and he was absolutely pilloried by the fans. I mean, for God's sake! Another example, our chief executive singing lead vocals in a gig, as well as helping clear the snow before Chorley. They work hard, they play hard. I really enjoy the atmosphere around our club at the moment and it couldn't be further removed from York. If you don't enjoy the journey, you may as well not be having it.
You know what, that's a cracking post, Vic :clap: :thumbup:

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Bloody hell Vic...I hadn’t thought about it in that way. I reckon your observation is bang right

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Do have to say, I'm having a bloody good time supporting darlington at the moment. Don't envy the negative stormclouds over York and Pools. Fantastic post Vic

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Now losing to F.C. United of Manchester...

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:43 pm

They really are imploding. At this rate Gray will get the sack before the end of the season. :lol:

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:They really are imploding. At this rate Gray will get the sack before the end of the season. :lol:
Wouldn’t be too surprised if it was tonight. 4 losses in a row without a goal, down to 9th.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Problem for their fans is that his mate Penney seems to be running things.

I'd imagine he'll jump before he's pushed so he can blame the fans for his failure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

FCUM 1-0 York City. Oh dear :lol: wonder what the excuse will be this time?
Got it, 1. the transfer window is closed and 2. my squad isn't big enough, and 3 the star player is injured & 4. His Mum says big boys / fans must not be cruel to ferrets & blame me.

Another season in VNLN beckons, along with a fire-sale / manager sacked / administration. :wave:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Can we finish higher than York, 7 points
behind two games in hand, it's possible, I'd love to be in a higher position than Grays team. At the end of the season.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Andy, that did make me chuckle.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 pm

I didn’t like the way Gray left and I’m sure on reflection he may have done things differently
but let’s not forget for 5 years he couldn’t do anything wrong remember Whitby. So please remember that when some on here seem to enjoy his obvious torrid time.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Sorry but Gray's record doesn't count for nowt now.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Fuck MG, appreciate what he did for us.

But the manner he left, He crushed the memories he made. He can do one and I hope he fails at every job he goes for.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:I didn’t like the way Gray left and I’m sure on reflection he may have done things differently
but let’s not forget for 5 years he couldn’t do anything wrong remember Whitby. So please remember that when some on here seem to enjoy his obvious torrid time.
Whilst I can't be bothered to go over top at Gray failing, I can see why some do and that is the way Gray advised he dragged this club forward, with 5 different chairmen and starting with only 1 player etc. He should have thanked the fans for their support including the financial support that meant he had a decent budget for every league we were in.

It looks like he has been found out, it was having a good team and momentum that pushed us through to 5th last season but Gray struggled when he couldn't buy his way out of trouble and moved on because he didn't have the tools/resources anymore.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 pm

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:15 am

Heard today that Billy Heath has been interviewed for the York City job...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 am

onewayup wrote:Can we finish higher than York, 7 points
behind two games in hand, it's possible, I'd love to be in a higher position than Grays team. At the end of the season.
Not sure - I can't see us taking more than 9 points from 12 and that's being positive. Nuneaton and Southport (on current form) both look very winnable, we have a good record against Spennymoor, but Stockport will be a difficult game.

York would have to fail to win at home to Leamington for us to stand a chance really.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:56 am

Spyman wrote:
Not sure - I can't see us taking more than 9 points from 12 and that's being positive. Nuneaton and Southport (on current form) both look very winnable, we have a good record against Spennymoor, but Stockport will be a difficult game.

York would have to fail to win at home to Leamington for us to stand a chance really.
Possibly Stockport may be a winnable game. As they are already guaranteed a play-off place, and our game against them is their last before the play-offs start, they may well be looking to rest some players.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 am

Spyman wrote:

I can see them failing to beat Leamington.

After all, we failed to beat them earlier in the season with the same poor manager, and York are piss poor now.

Leamington are also in big danger at the bottom so have everything to play for.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:16 am

Quakerz wrote:
Spyman wrote:

I can see them failing to beat Leamington.

After all, we failed to beat them earlier in the season with the same poor manager, and York are piss poor now.

Leamington are also in big danger at the bottom so have everything to play for.
Could happen, of course. Any team that has lost 4 on the bounce is liable to lose to anyone.
Still a big ask for us to take 8 or 9 points from our remaining 4 games though.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 am

Here’s a good stat.

National League North last 10 games.

York city FC (Big Club) 8 points, goal diff -7

Darlington FC ( bucket collecting embarrassment) 20 points goal diff + 9
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:49 am

does look like MG is just a one trick pony - his main strategy to turn results around for a club is to spend his way out of it. take that option away, and his coaching / managing skills are a tad exposed.

he's not the only manager with this approach mind.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am

For those that love having a dig at Gray, do you same people hold Brian Little with the same contempt?
After all he had good budgets for the leagues he was in and then put all those players on extended contracts when we were going into a league they weren't good enough for.
Then when he realised there wasnt going to be the funds to get the players he wanted he then upped sticks and went to Leicester. The problems he left behind almost cost us our club back then too and if it wasnt for John Brockbank we would have folded.
If think the criticism of Gray for how he left is fair game but some of the comments are OTT in my opinion.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:10 pm

loan_star wrote:For those that love having a dig at Gray, do you same people hold Brian Little with the same contempt?
After all he had good budgets for the leagues he was in and then put all those players on extended contracts when we were going into a league they weren't good enough for.
Then when he realised there wasnt going to be the funds to get the players he wanted he then upped sticks and went to Leicester. The problems he left behind almost cost us our club back then too and if it wasnt for John Brockbank we would have folded.
If think the criticism of Gray for how he left is fair game but some of the comments are OTT in my opinion.
No, because while BL made mistakes, I don't recall him saying we were a laughing stock and force things with ultimatums, and he left for a club that everyone felt was a step up and would have been foolish to turn down.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 pm

shawry wrote:
loan_star wrote:For those that love having a dig at Gray, do you same people hold Brian Little with the same contempt?
No, because while BL made mistakes, I don't recall him saying we were a laughing stock and force things with ultimatums, and he left for a club that everyone felt was a step up and would have been foolish to turn down.

correct. its more the manner of MG's comments prior to leaving and trying to bring Raj Singh of all people back to the club.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:38 pm

However, plenty within the fanbase were comfortable with the idea of Raj being back in the fold. There was a school of thought last May of "let's take his £40k and hear him out."
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:However, plenty within the fanbase were comfortable with the idea of Raj being back in the fold. There was a school of thought last May of "let's take his £40k and hear him out."
which is annoying given how far the club have come without the need for a rich benefactor. plus it's given opposition fans the notion that we were prepared to deal with Singh.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Darlogramps wrote:However, plenty within the fanbase were comfortable with the idea of Raj being back in the fold. There was a school of thought last May of "let's take his £40k and hear him out."
In fairness I was happy to take the 40k and vote no for further investment as I assumed that would mean he had no real power