Transfer targets for next season.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Transfer targets for next season.

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Will also need to get Galbraith signed up for next season as well. Really hoping to hear some postive news re. a couple of our out of contract players soon.
Think this one could be sorted, although a rumour today was he is going to York but I don't believe it as everything reliable I hear is that Galbraith will sign and be at Darlo next year.

Who else do you want to sign as I think Galbraith will be the last one and at least 6 will go.
Would like to think Portas & Gillies will be here next season - along with Hunter (who I have heard is under contract for next season but unsure).

But again we go back to the current players we have under-contract and how we will have too much going in to next season. Do we retain the players we would like to keep and will actually contribute (Hunter, Portas, Gillies etc) and hope we can off-load contracted players (Marrs, Burgess, Caton, Mills etc) over the summer in time for when the players actually get paid at the beginning of the season. Tough one.
Fairly confident we will lose most that have a year left and aren't required, although I think Portas and Gillies may be on their way and yes I think Hunter has one more year.
I would have said the same regarding Gillies until I heard AW's post-match against Spennymoor. Seemed to recognise Gillies' contribution to the side and the standards which he had set.

Would be a shame regarding Portas as I think we could rotate between him, Wheatley and Turnbull.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Spyman wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:Obviously we would require outgoings given the projected reduction in playing budget to bring in two or three players, and the below is pure optimistic speculation;

Aman Verma - Leicester based, played under TW at Corby, currently at relegated Tamworth, good player for this level.

Adam Boyes - As Quakerz has mentioned, local, decent scoring record and at the right-age.

Ashley Chambers - Played under TW at Nuneaton, Leicester based although question marks on the travel.

Akwasi Asante - Decent goal scoring record at this level, West Midlands based, currently at relegated Tamworth.

Ashley Hemmings - Goalscoring winger for Boston, West Midlands based, apparently out of contract this summer.

David Foley - Decent winger at Spennymoor, not really playing too much although has scored 6/7 goals this season. Local, and would know AW.

James Talbot - Rumoured to be out of contact, did well for us earlier this season and I think it's unlikely we'll see Pears return.

In January, Wright also tried to sign both Adi Yussuf and George Waring on loan.

Although this wouldn't happen, thinking locally I'd have Ramshaw from Spennymoor, and Hopson/Maguire from Blyth.
Verma was excellent for us previously, but I don't think midfield is a priority.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Agreed, Spyman.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Spyman wrote:Verma was excellent for us previously, but I don't think midfield is a priority.
Verma was excellent for us seven years ago and seemingly hasn't kicked on. Saw him play for Tamworth not long back and he was anonymous. We genuinely wouldn't be missing out by not signing him. Midfield isn't a priority, and he's another some fans view with rose-tinted glasses because he's ex-Darlo.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 pm

LoidLucan wrote:And asante is now dire, according to the tamworth fans.
He has a solid record from his time at Solihull Moors in the Conference North, although this may have been a flash in the pan as nothing has stuck since.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Will also need to get Galbraith signed up for next season as well. Really hoping to hear some postive news re. a couple of our out of contract players soon.
Think this one could be sorted, although a rumour today was he is going to York but I don't believe it as everything reliable I hear is that Galbraith will sign and be at Darlo next year.

Who else do you want to sign as I think Galbraith will be the last one and at least 6 will go.
Would like to think Portas & Gillies will be here next season - along with Hunter (who I have heard is under contract for next season but unsure).

But again we go back to the current players we have under-contract and how we will have too much going in to next season. Do we retain the players we would like to keep and will actually contribute (Hunter, Portas, Gillies etc) and hope we can off-load contracted players (Marrs, Burgess, Caton, Mills etc) over the summer in time for when the players actually get paid at the beginning of the season. Tough one.
Fairly confident we will lose most that have a year left and aren't required, although I think Portas and Gillies may be on their way and yes I think Hunter has one more year.
I would have said the same regarding Gillies until I heard AW's post-match against Spennymoor. Seemed to recognise Gillies' contribution to the side and the standards which he had set.

Would be a shame regarding Portas as I think we could rotate between him, Wheatley and Turnbull.
Gillies is 3rd in overall appearances this season so you might be right but Wright has to make some space in his budget and also bring 2 or 3 new players to refresh the attacking element of the team.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 pm

I agree - Gillies will only be missed if we fail to recruit to his equivalent or better.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Controversial opinion - I wouldn't be fussed if Portas left us. Is behind Turnbull and Wheatley in the pecking order and should not be deployed at right back.

Obviously if Wheatley gets picked up elsewhere then that changes the equation - but if Portas is not in the side, I don't think we're missing anything. I think this level is his ceiling. At some point, we'll be looking to push on into the next level.

I've no problem with him as back-up, but if he left, we'd cope. Personally think he's overrated by some in the fanbase.

Disclaimer - this isn't to say I think he's a bad player, before I get jumped on (and I'm aware he's had injury problems). But I just wouldn't be bothered if he left, as some fans seemingly would be.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:I agree - Gillies will only be missed if we fail to recruit to his equivalent or better.
It’s unlikely we’ll recruit a direct replacement given we already have Thompson, Caton and Mills under contract and need to trim the squad / sign players in other areas

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Controversial opinion - I wouldn't be fussed if Portas left us. Is behind Turnbull and Wheatley in the pecking order and should not be deployed at right back.

Obviously if Wheatley gets picked up elsewhere then that changes the equation - but if Portas is not in the side, I don't think we're missing anything. I think this is his level.

I've no problem with him as back-up, but if he left, we'd cope. Personally think he's overrated by some in the fanbase.
Don't think it's that controversial, he hasn't actually played that much in the two seasons at this level. Decent enough player but I think you have to continue to evolve the squad.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Controversial opinion - I wouldn't be fussed if Portas left us. Is behind Turnbull and Wheatley in the pecking order and should not be deployed at right back.

Obviously if Wheatley gets picked up elsewhere then that changes the equation - but if Portas is not in the side, I don't think we're missing anything. I think this is his level.

I agree with that assessment. I think the issue (if there is one) would be the numbers we would have in the centre of midfield. You would have Turnbull and Wheatley, with only Glover to fill in (should both Scott & Portas leave).

There is the argument that Syers could drop in however he is more effective in the final 3rd breaking the lines.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 pm

divas wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I agree - Gillies will only be missed if we fail to recruit to his equivalent or better.
It’s unlikely we’ll recruit a direct replacement given we already have Thompson, Caton and Mills under contract and need to trim the squad / sign players in other areas
If that's the case then I really hope we can shift Caton & Mills. Because going in to next season with those 2/3 doesn't fill me with much confidence!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

I agree with that assessment. I think the issue (if there is one) would be the numbers we would have in the centre of midfield. You would have Turnbull and Wheatley, with only Glover to fill in (should both Scott & Portas leave).

There is the argument that Syers could drop in however he is more effective in the final 3rd breaking the lines.
Without doubt the case with Syers. He needs to be played further forward - it's been a key part of our turnaround since January.

If Portas and Scott leave (hypothetical scenario), you would hope it would be the case we'd sign replacements rather than relying on Syers to drop back.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:22 am

We're going to have great difficulty this next season in making additions.

There are several fringe players who are contracted, some on very good money - we could be stuck with them.

I'm predicting a very quiet summer and us starting next season with more or less the same squad minus a couple of out of contract players who were released. The likes of Burgess, Marrs, Mills, Caton are perfectly entitled to sit on their wedges.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:31 am

Quakerz wrote:We're going to have great difficulty this next season in making additions.

There are several fringe players who are contracted, some on very good money - we could be stuck with them.

I'm predicting a very quiet summer and us starting next season with more or less the same squad minus a couple of out of contract players who were released. The likes of Burgess, Marrs, Mills, Caton are perfectly entitled to sit on their wedges.
Nail on head.

My hope here is that the lesser informed don’t turn on the players or the club if we’re unable to move them on.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:33 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
divas wrote:
If that's the case then I really hope we can shift Caton & Mills. Because going in to next season with those 2/3 doesn't fill me with much confidence!
If we do move either of those on, a left footed left winger should be the priority.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:26 am

I would like to think that in the case of Mills, and the other lads who travel some distance, that both the club and the player have an option to cancel the deal at the end of the season in case it wasnt working out. Styche would be different since we actually paid for him.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:12 am

First of all we need to move a few players on. Burgess, Marrs and Scott seem givens to be released, and as much as I like them I wouldn't be shocked to see Brown and Portas go too given their limited availability this season.

That would give us Heaton and Galbraith with Collins and Vaulks as back up at CB, and while Galbraith and Collins can both fill in as fullbacks if needed, I'd like to see us look to sign at least one fullback as cover for Trotman/O'Hanlon. An upgrade on Leon Scott would be nice, a hard tackling ball winning midfielder, and obviously another striker so we're not totally relying on Styche. Saunders, while energetic as a late sub, isn't really enough of a goal threat, and I see Caton and Mills as cover on the wing for Thompson and Gillies rather than strikers.

So for me we need a full back, a defensive midfielder and a striker. Obviously we'll need a goalkeeper too, hopefully see if we can keep hold of Pears for another season. He's only 19 so hopefully Boro will be happy for him to spend another season with us before looking to get him experience at a higher level.

If we could move on Mills, Caton and even Gillies I'd have no issues with that and looking to freshen up with some creative wide players.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 am

Couple of members of our current squad are expected to sign new deals over the coming weeks, according to the Echo.

Hopefully one of these is Galbraith.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am

I've always been a Galbraith fan, but earlier on this season a good few on here turned on him and didn't want him in the team. Great to see that Galbraith has turned the doubters around.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:04 am

There's not a single player who at some stage hasn't been written off by some fans. Couple of dodgy games and he's "Playing beyond his level". Whereas the reality is that it's just a few games where they've been below par and they are still a decent player overall.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:27 am

Listening to interviews with Tommy and Alan, it looks like pretty much the same squad for next season with possibly a couple of additions but still need to move some players on to make way for the new lads.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:33 am

LoidLucan wrote:There's not a single player who at some stage hasn't been written off by some fans. Couple of dodgy games and he's "Playing beyond his level". Whereas the reality is that it's just a few games where they've been below par and they are still a decent player overall.
In particular Thompson. We would be kicking ourselves now if he had been moved on and ended up at Spendy, showing the form he has done now for us for the chunk of this season.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Quite right. Sometimes you just need a bit of patience after a drop in form for a normally reliable player.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Breedon wrote:First of all we need to move a few players on. Burgess, Marrs and Scott seem givens to be released, and as much as I like them I wouldn't be shocked to see Brown and Portas go too given their limited availability this season.

That would give us Heaton and Galbraith with Collins and Vaulks as back up at CB, and while Galbraith and Collins can both fill in as fullbacks if needed, I'd like to see us look to sign at least one fullback as cover for Trotman/O'Hanlon. An upgrade on Leon Scott would be nice, a hard tackling ball winning midfielder, and obviously another striker so we're not totally relying on Styche. Saunders, while energetic as a late sub, isn't really enough of a goal threat, and I see Caton and Mills as cover on the wing for Thompson and Gillies rather than strikers.

So for me we need a full back, a defensive midfielder and a striker. Obviously we'll need a goalkeeper too, hopefully see if we can keep hold of Pears for another season. He's only 19 so hopefully Boro will be happy for him to spend another season with us before looking to get him experience at a higher level.

If we could move on Mills, Caton and even Gillies I'd have no issues with that and looking to freshen up with some creative wide players.
Be interesting to see what happens with Pears. Boro normally like to get players they've loaned out who have done well playing at a higher level the following season. That said at 19 we might stand of chance of bagging him for another year. However I do have my doubts.

Pretty sure they'll be a few more loan additions next season, and probably from Boro. Also as I understand it Tony Pulis would rather see young players starting games at this level that fanny about in the reserves as it toughens them up. On the basis of Pears I'm more than happy with that.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm

TFDM wrote:
Breedon wrote:First of all we need to move a few players on. Burgess, Marrs and Scott seem givens to be released, and as much as I like them I wouldn't be shocked to see Brown and Portas go too given their limited availability this season.

Be interesting to see what happens with Pears. Boro normally like to get players they've loaned out who have done well playing at a higher level the following season. That said at 19 we might stand of chance of bagging him for another year. However I do have my doubts.

Pretty sure they'll be a few more loan additions next season, and probably from Boro. Also as I understand it Tony Pulis would rather see young players starting games at this level that fanny about in the reserves as it toughens them up. On the basis of Pears I'm more than happy with that.
One thing for sure, Pears gets a lot of practice playing behind our defence! He has done really well and showing lots of improvement, although to be fair, needs work on commanding his box and better choice of distribution sometimes. A long punt upfield is not always the best and sometimes better to keep possession and build up from a quick /short throw out.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:57 pm

TFDM wrote:

The only trouble is that we've had some poor loans in the past, not all our guaranteed to work. But hopefully TW & AW will get the right one's. At least now clubs are offering players to us, rather than us having to ask other clubs who they have available.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:40 pm

A few rumours going around that Gray has been interviewed for the Poolies job.No doubt he will raid the Boro for loan players that may have interested us.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:13 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:A few rumours going around that Gray has been interviewed for the Poolies job.No doubt he will raid the Boro for loan players that may have interested us.

While it wouldn't surprise me, given his connection to Singh, it looks a terrible fit on paper.

1) Hartlepool are a club that need to cut their cloth accordingly as have seriously overspent in the last few seasons with no reward. That's why they are in the position they're in. Gray does not have a track record of cutting his cloth accordingly - quite the opposite.

2) He has struggled to be effective in the league below with a healthy budget. I'm not sure how he'll fare in the National League with restricted funds.

3) If he feels unloved by the York supporters, I'd think the Hartlepool fans will welcome him with even less open arms.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:10 pm

I just can't see Gray going over to the hangers. Gray is probably looking for a job before he gets sacked by York!!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:A few rumours going around that Gray has been interviewed for the Poolies job.No doubt he will raid the Boro for loan players that may have interested us.

While it wouldn't surprise me, given his connection to Singh, it looks a terrible fit on paper.

1) Hartlepool are a club that need to cut their cloth accordingly as have seriously overspent in the last few seasons with no reward. That's why they are in the position they're in. Gray does not have a track record of cutting his cloth accordingly - quite the opposite.

2) He has struggled to be effective in the league below with a healthy budget. I'm not sure how he'll fare in the National League with restricted funds.

3) If he feels unloved by the York supporters, I'd think the Hartlepool fans will welcome him with even less open arms.
And his dinosaur tactics mean his team would be taken apart at National League level.

But......I would put good money on him ending up there.