Darlington FC V Southport match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Southport match thread

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Their fans seem to want Kevin Davies sacked after spending a small fortune on players and overseeing seven defeats on the bounce recently.... now I've gone and cursed it for us!

:oops:
You absolutely nailed it!
LoidLucan must be banned from making such statements (forever)

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:wE LOOKED
bUT wE dID nOT fIND
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Their fans seem to want Kevin Davies sacked after spending a small fortune on players and overseeing seven defeats on the bounce recently.... now I've gone and cursed it for us!
Ah good, I won't have to take ALL the blame for this after I highlighted their seven game losing streak and five games without a goal in the pre-match build up on DFR.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Styche could not bully their centre half so spent most of the match complaining to the Lino hence massive void up front. Syers well off his game together with Turnbull & Heaton. Only O'Hanlon, Gillies, Thommo & Pears prepared to put a shift in plus Saunders came on to get a long overdue goal which should help his confidence. Galbraith took a knock & that seemed to be the start of the trouble. No-one picking up the scraps in midfield, so Southport went from strength to strength & once they were gifted their first goal to break their duck, it was totally their game. So much for TW wanting to send the fans away with a smile & positive memories - we should all have left after 20 minutes in that case.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I was surprised how many Southport fans made the trip considering there recent form.
I was told 13 so how many were you expecting?

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:22 am

Whilst never thinking that winning tonight would realistically give us a tilt at the play offs, I did think it would be important for momentum and the feel good factor. The failure to take that up will not matter in the long run but I fear that it might well cause a few less bob to be raised on the boost the budget.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I was surprised how many Southport fans made the trip considering there recent form.
There were certainly more than 13, probably 30ish, as they were in different parts of the ground.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 am

The last three home performances have varied from moderate to crap. In a very open league this year, we would have had a real chance of qualifying for the play-offs had this not been the case.
Now that matters off the pitch seem to be under control, the "match day experience" is satisfactory (in my view anyway), most of the discussion will be on football matters from now on. Those last three home games don't fill me with confidence. Thank goodness for our good post - Christmas run.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
There were certainly more than 13, probably 30ish, as they were in different parts of the ground.
Heaton must be worried that the extra visitors may have been scouts , not Southport fans ;)
I was worried that after the V9 Academy TV show, we might lose Heaton for a big transfer fee, but after last night's display, not sure the Boy Scouts would want him. Several times, he seemed to watch the ball bounce over him without checking where Pears was positioned. Add in the feeble back-header that lead to their equaliser, he was just not reading the game.

Any scouts at the match would have been more impressed with Wheatley & MOTM O'Hanlon :thumbup:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:06 am

Not a great way to finish the home season but then again let's be honest it's not been a great season on the pitch. Luckily off the pitch we have worked our way into a position where it looks like next season we can have a good go.

Would like to see Wright be quite ruthless in the summer. The squad needs a bit of a refresh and with the budget we're going to have every £1 is going to matter. Move on about 4/5 players. Need to make sure we use the loan market well as we did for Talbot and Pears. Bring in a Keeper and a 2nd striker as priority. Dual register Harvey with a NL team so he can get game time when he's not in the matchday squad. And look out for like for like replacements should any of Wheatley, Trotman or Heaton earn a move following the V9 Academy. But I would resist the urge to spend that money in transfer fees. Enough good players are free agents in the summer we should really have to be spending precious resources on transfer fees.

There's potential in this squad but we have some fine tuning to do for next season.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:49 am

JE93 wrote:Not a great way to finish the home season but then again let's be honest it's not been a great season on the pitch. Luckily off the pitch we have worked our way into a position where it looks like next season we can have a good go.

Would like to see Wright be quite ruthless in the summer. The squad needs a bit of a refresh and with the budget we're going to have every £1 is going to matter. Move on about 4/5 players. Need to make sure we use the loan market well as we did for Talbot and Pears. Bring in a Keeper and a 2nd striker as priority. Dual register Harvey with a NL team so he can get game time when he's not in the matchday squad. And look out for like for like replacements should any of Wheatley, Trotman or Heaton earn a move following the V9 Academy. But I would resist the urge to spend that money in transfer fees. Enough good players are free agents in the summer we should really have to be spending precious resources on transfer fees.

There's potential in this squad but we have some fine tuning to do for next season.
I agree. Believe Hemmings’ contract is up at Boston in the Summer, that would be a fantastic addition if we can move Caton and Mills on

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 am

JE93 wrote:Not a great way to finish the home season but then again let's be honest it's not been a great season on the pitch. Luckily off the pitch we have worked our way into a position where it looks like next season we can have a good go.

We need some options for when it's not working, particularly going forwards. I'm happy to put the defensive display down to a one-off last night - it's easy to forget that the defence, Galbraith apart (who's hardly an experienced CB) are all pretty young. Midfield was often overrun last night too (another thing to tweak for next season perhaps).

However, going forwards we seem very hit or miss. If, in particular, Styche and Thompson are 'on it' we look very dangerous, if not, we seem to struggle. I know we actually scored twice last night, but I think the point still stands.

Still, I don't think we're far off - a few out and a couple of good signings in (and most of Wright's signings so far have been good) and we'll not be far off a playoff team next year I think. Particularly with our younger players continuing to learn and develop.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 am

This reads like you have had TW in for his develpment review and have set his objectives for the next 12 months.
It's very easy to say that we should move 4/5 players on. But, the reality is that it will be very difficult to move on anyone who is under contract and does not want to go. This restricts the quality of any incoming players.
TW and AW will have a hard time during the summer trying to get the players in that they want without increasing the size of the squad and staying in budget.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:20 am

My opinion wrote:

This reads like you have had TW in for his develpment review and have set his objectives for the next 12 months.
It's very easy to say that we should move 4/5 players on. But, the reality is that it will be very difficult to move on anyone who is under contract and does not want to go. This restricts the quality of any incoming players.
TW and AW will have a hard time during the summer trying to get the players in that they want without increasing the size of the squad and staying in budget.
Like your use of 'management speak' as it reminds us fans that being a manager isn't all about tactics and results on the pitch. There are other aspects such as keeping within budget whilst balancing team/ man issues such as injuries / loss of players to transfers / bringing on young talent at the same time maintaining good communication and goodwill of the fans. TW seems to have the good of the club at heart and next season is his chance to demonstrate he can make us competitive enough to gain promotion. We fans must be patient and give him time to get it all together. :thumbup: