I've never known a team make such heavy weather of it

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: I've never known a team make such heavy weather of it

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:08 pm

banktopp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
banktopp wrote:Although I am not advocating it, going back to 2 points for a win would give a fairer reflection of a teams overall performance.
Blyth who have lost half their games this season would be down in 13th place.
I don't see how that's a fairer reflection. It's simply more a reflection of how they end up positioned under a different scoring system (one which rewards 'not losing' more than the current one, which provides more incentive for winning).

Plus games would probably pan out slightly differently, given two points for a win provides less incentive than the three-point system.
Which is why I am not an advocate of the old system.
The present system does throw up anomalies such as Blyth who could still in theory
gain a play off place and possible promotion after losing half their games in the league.

I think it's time football had a bonus point system based on the number of goals scored in a match. For every 3 goals up to 6 you get a bonus point - thus rewarding attacking play and encouraging less of the negative tactics and you can still come away from a 4-3 classic with something to show for your efforts. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:27 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
banktopp wrote:Although I am not advocating it, going back to 2 points for a win would give a fairer reflection of a teams overall performance.
I don't see how that's a fairer reflection. It's simply more a reflection of how they end up positioned under a different scoring system (one which rewards 'not losing' more than the current one, which provides more incentive for winning).

Plus games would probably pan out slightly differently, given two points for a win provides less incentive than the three-point system.
The present system does throw up anomalies such as Blyth who could still in theory
gain a play off place and possible promotion after losing half their games in the league.

I think it's time football had a bonus point system based on the number of goals scored in a match. For every 3 goals up to 6 you get a bonus point - thus rewarding attacking play and encouraging less of the negative tactics and you can still come away from a 4-3 classic with something to show for your efforts. :thumbup:
I'd rather people stopped fannying around with cosmetic changes to a game that has survived for over a 100 years. I like tackling, and i appreciate good defending. Both will be extinct in the next 10 years if that. I hate the fact that every foul now has the crowd screaming for a booking, every bit of contact has crowds screaming for a foul. Used to just be the premier, now it's every level.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I'd rather people stopped fannying around with cosmetic changes to a game that has survived for over a 100 years. I like tackling, and i appreciate good defending. Both will be extinct in the next 10 years if that. I hate the fact that every foul now has the crowd screaming for a booking, every bit of contact has crowds screaming for a foul. Used to just be the premier, now it's every level.
The blame there lies with TV and professional sports and most importantly now...money involved. It use to be that sports such as football could be enjoyed without it being the be all and end all it has seemingly become. VAR as an example has only come about because TV has taken away the innocence of the game and inflated the finances within football that so much is pinned on. Everything is analysed to the finest of margins and because of the amounts of money involved a decision can make or break a player's career, a referee's career and to a wider degree a club's whole existence. To put it bluntly sport is not 'fun' anymore.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:43 am

I was listening to a podcast the other day and they made the very fair point that all we seem to discuss these days are refereeing decisions and transfers. That's pretty much all football has boiled down to these days rather than actual performances.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:18 am

I have our Ferriby at home programme in front of me dated 17th March and the league table for before that match makes an interesting read.

H'gate, Salford and Brackley are 1,2 and 3 but underneath them we have -

4th YORK played 34/ points 53
5th K'minster 32/ points 52
6th Blyth 32/ points 52
7th Spennymoor 27/ points 48
8th Southport 33/ points 47

This just shows how Spennymoor have thrown it away. They had 5 games in hand on 5th and 6th place and 7 games in hand on 4th place, and apart from that Blyth, York and also Southport have all been on disastrous form too.

Stockport however were in 12th position, one place above ourselves

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Radar wrote:Managerial inexperience has just about cost them a play off place. To blow the strong position they were in shows a high degree of complacency, almost like they believed they had the job done. Relegation candidates next season.
No chance.
Yes chance! We finished 5th last season after the momentum of our previous promotion, then got caught up in relegation type form this season. Spennymoor could struggle next season.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:42 am

I think Blyth more than Spenny are more likely to suffer "second season syndrome."

Spenny have the resources to throw at new players if things start going badly. Blyth less so.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I think Blyth more than Spenny are more likely to suffer "second season syndrome."

Spenny have the resources to throw at new players if things start going badly. Blyth less so.
Agree, but spookily Spennymoor always seem to more or less emulate our position 1 season later, except with a few less points. As for how many vibes they can chuck at it, well they've always had plenty.

I fancy we'll finish above them next season, regardless of how many vibes they chuck at, and steal our transfer targets with.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:43 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote: The blame there lies with TV and professional sports and most importantly now...money involved. It use to be that sports such as football could be enjoyed without it being the be all and end all it has seemingly become. VAR as an example has only come about because TV has taken away the innocence of the game and inflated the finances within football that so much is pinned on. Everything is analysed to the finest of margins and because of the amounts of money involved a decision can make or break a player's career, a referee's career and to a wider degree a club's whole existence. To put it bluntly sport is not 'fun' anymore.
And this is the main reason I have enjoyed the last few seasons. Football at the lower levels has been less about money and more about the actual game. Yes there are always going to be clubs who spend more than others and we did spend more than most at these levels but it was only money we raised ourselves and not some rich blokes play thing or ego trip.
The closer we get to the football league, the more it is about money and the bigger chance of signing a badge kissing mercenary just looking for another big pay day and not be arsed about the club or fans when push comes to shove.