Scott, Mills, Milburn & Hume Released

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Scott, Mills, Milburn & Hume Released

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:07 am

As per the title, Leon Scott & Greg Mills have both been released. As have youngters Lee Hume and Dale Milburn, following on from the news last night that Gary Brown is also departing the club.

All the best to all 5 players in the future.

Quakers83

Re: Scott, Mills, Milburn & Hume Released

Post by Quakers83 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:10 am

All the best to all 4 in the future, and of course Gary Brown.

Brown and Scott in particular have been fantastic servants for the club and have really epitomised what this football club is about in the last 6 years.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 05, 2018 8:30 am

Scott has been underestimated by many, going back as far as I can remember.

I remember when we got promoted from the Northern League, some people were questioning whether he could play at Evostik 1N level!

He managed the step up perfectly fine and then some people questioned whether he could play at Evostik Prem level - and he did it very well.

Obviously, people again questioned whether he could play at this level, and perhaps this season it's finally been his limit. But to be honest I thought he did alright last season when played in midfield.

It's testament to his character that out of all the players that we've had in 6 years, he was one of the final two remaining original squad members.

A true 100%er, will miss him.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat May 05, 2018 8:35 am

He's always struck me as another hundred percenter. Got stuck in and played well out of his position at times. You've been a stalwart for us Leon. Thank you!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:45 am

Now that we know who is being released, I wonder where the futures of the remaining out of contract players such as Galbraith, Portas & Gillies are?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:06 am

All the right decisions for Wright in my book. Although as others have said Brown and Scott deserve huge plaudits for what they have done for this club. To have risen up 3 divisions and lasted 6 seasons is something both of them can be rightly proud of. I hope they both play at the highest level they can both are too good for the northern league.

Brave of Wright to move on Mills. And I salute him for it. Made a big point of backing him when he brought him in and defending him giving him time to get fit. But unfortunately he never delivered and Wright rightly moved him on.

Rather ominously neither Burges or Marrs are on that list which means they likely have contracts and will be more difficult to move on. It's not so much about any transfer value but freeing up the wage budget to allow Wright to bring in who he wants. I say the other day Atkinson the Blyth RB has gone to the Icelandic premier league to play so maybe that opens the door up for a club who might be interested in Marrs. Burges will be the tricky one. Probably on a captains wages due to Gray and has anot her season left to go on his deal. Played pretty much every game for Whitby after his loan move. Clearly a decent player at that level. Just a question of whether they have the money to take him off our hands in a contractual sense.

As for the other uncontracted player Galbraith should be offered a deal. If Gray has offered him a FT deal at York then it's down to the lad himself. Portas I'd invite back for training pre season. Could be a decent player but has to prove his fitness for me. If we're going to have a small squad they much be capable of playing 25-30 games a season. Gillies is a difficult one. I've been one of his biggest critics this season mainly because we all know what he's capable of (Harrogate away 2016/17 season). But too often we get a bang average performance. He does seem to have built a good relationship with O'hanlon. I'd probably sign him up for another season and hope Wright and O'hanlon get the best out of him.

That all said it leaves us with a squad of:

GK: Bancroft

Def: Trotman, Collins, Heaton, Vaulks, Galbraith, O'Hanlon, Burgess, Marrs,

Mid: Thompson, Turnbull, Wheatley, Gillies, Syers

Fwd: Styche, Saunders

As I said it's key to move on Marrs and Burgess.

Offer new deals to Galbraith and take the option on Gillies.

Invite Portas and Hunter back for preseason.

Seek like for like replacements if we lose any of Heaton, Wheatley or Trotman to the V9 Academy thing.

And we need to recruit a GK, a left sided forward player (preferably the kind of player who could play CF as well). And a CM depending on Portas's preseason.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am

I too think that Leon Scott has been underestimated by many. There have been occasions when our midfield has looked quite lightweight and been in danger of being out bullied but bringing on Leon Scott always added some stability.
Good luck to Leon and everyone else who is leaving the club.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Quakerz wrote:It's testament to his character that out of all the players that we've had in 6 years, he was one of the final two remaining original squad members.

Final 3, we have Galbraith as our only Northern league days representative. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Galbraith wasn't signed in the summer of 2012 though (when we were building our side from scratch), whereas Brown & Scott were. I think that is what Quakerz is alluding too.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Scott often went unnoticed in the centre of the midfield, but he often changed the course of a game when he came on as a substitute. Does anybody know what Bancroft is like as a keeper?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 05, 2018 3:15 pm

The terrible twosome in charge at salford rated scott so highly that they got one of their ramsbottom thugs to take him out within the first two minutes of the playoff game at HP. I seem to recall it left us pretty much without a midfield and how the player wasnt red carded for that brutal GBH challenge that inflicted ankle ligament damage i've never understood to this day.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat May 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Is OHanlon contracted?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Is OHanlon contracted?
Yes, until the end of next season.

Under contract for definite are: Trotman, Marrs, Heaton, Galbraith, Collins, Burgess, Vaulks, O'Hanlon, Thompson, Turnbull, Wheatley, Syers, Glover, Gillies, Caton, Styche & Saunders

Unsure: Bancroft, Hunter, Portas

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 05, 2018 5:14 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:It's testament to his character that out of all the players that we've had in 6 years, he was one of the final two remaining original squad members.

Final 3, we have Galbraith as our only Northern league days representative. :thumbup:
They were the last two original squad members.

Galbraith was signed during the season, as was Thompson.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

Under contract for definite are: Trotman, Marrs, Heaton, Galbraith, Collins, Burgess, Vaulks, O'Hanlon, Thompson, Turnbull, Wheatley, Syers, Glover, Gillies, Caton, Styche & Saunders

Hunter has a year left I believe. Portas could be offered something but it may depend if he wants to stick around or try something new.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:32 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Hunter has a year left I believe. Portas could be offered something but it may depend if he wants to stick around or try something new.
Was never actually an announcement on Hunter then, as he signed a new two-year deal in the summer of 2016, so a few presumed he was out of contract.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat May 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

Hunter signed a two year deal at the same time as Thompson and Galbraith who's contracts expired this summer so as far as I know Hunter's has expired.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/chr ... -contract/

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Agree I thought Hunter would be out of contract but I was told different. It also goes along with Wright advising Hunter didn't have any pressure to rush back this season as he has all summer to get ready.

Below is the NE article, although Wright doesn't confirm he has a year left but suggest he is in Wrights plans.

https://tinyurl.com/y955gokk

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

Interesting comment regarding Portas, I'm sure there would be some interest from the likes of Whitby and Stockton.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Interesting comment regarding Portas, I'm sure there would be some interest from the likes of Whitby and Stockton.
Well Portas hasn't really played that much for 2 seasons now, the club as all clubs have moved on with Wheatley filling that gap, Glover now coming through. Portas himself may feel he wants a new challenge where he is playing most weeks.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun May 06, 2018 5:56 am

Did Glover actually sign a contract? I'd read that he couldn't sign a contract until he turned 17. Did he actually sign one?

From the squad I would obviously release Burgess and Marrs who aren't in Tommy plans. Hopefully they will want to look for first team football and not want to sit on the contract. I'm also not a massive fan of Collins. I think he'd be on a big wage, and if someone could pick him up then I'd be tempted to let him go. Just a personal opinion, not on here to slate the guy.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:51 am

D_F_C wrote:Did Glover actually sign a contract? I'd read that he couldn't sign a contract until he turned 17. Did he actually sign one?

From the squad I would obviously release Burgess and Marrs who aren't in Tommy plans. Hopefully they will want to look for first team football and not want to sit on the contract. I'm also not a massive fan of Collins. I think he'd be on a big wage, and if someone could pick him up then I'd be tempted to let him go. Just a personal opinion, not on here to slate the guy.
Glover has signed a contract, it was confirmed in the interview with David Johnston yesterday.

I agree regarding Marrs and Burgess, however both will be on good money meaning it would be difficult to pay both up.

You'd like to think both would want to be playing regular football though.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 06, 2018 8:06 am

I know that TW was worried that somebody would nick Glover from us before he turned 17 and we could get him on a contract. I like the look of Glover, he has looked very confident and composed when he has come onto the pitch. TW rates him highly which is good enough for me.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 06, 2018 8:18 am

Reading through these I had the same thought as Pete. Has anyone seen Bancroft in action? He seems to be permanently on the bench. I wondered if he ever gets to play.

coles

Post by coles » Sun May 06, 2018 9:39 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Reading through these I had the same thought as Pete. Has anyone seen Bancroft in action? He seems to be permanently on the bench. I wondered if he ever gets to play.
yep not good enough played for the RA a couple of seasons ago albeit only 19 at the time but was nowhere near good enough

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun May 06, 2018 10:13 am

LoidLucan wrote:The terrible twosome in charge at salford rated scott so highly that they got one of their ramsbottom thugs to take him out within the first two minutes of the playoff game at HP. I seem to recall it left us pretty much without a midfield and how the player wasnt red carded for that brutal GBH challenge that inflicted ankle ligament damage i've never understood to this day.
Spot on. Leon did us proud but always had been there to win balls in midfield then give it to Turnbull to distribute. Thanks Leon

coles

Post by coles » Sun May 06, 2018 10:19 am

jjljks wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:The terrible twosome in charge at salford rated scott so highly that they got one of their ramsbottom thugs to take him out within the first two minutes of the playoff game at HP. I seem to recall it left us pretty much without a midfield and how the player wasnt red carded for that brutal GBH challenge that inflicted ankle ligament damage i've never understood to this day.
Spot on. Leon did us proud but always had been there to win balls in midfield then give it to Turnbull to distribute. Thanks Leon
For me the club should allow Browny and Leon the opportunity to play in the legends game so we can say goodbye properly

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun May 06, 2018 10:50 am

coles wrote:
jjljks wrote:
For me the club should allow Browny and Leon the opportunity to play in the legends game so we can say goodbye properly
I think this is happening, coles, according to another thread:
Darlo_CR wrote: It was confirmed last night that he will be playing in the legends game, I think Leon Scott will be too.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks Coles. Hopefully he's decent enough two years on!

coles

Post by coles » Sun May 06, 2018 1:26 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Thanks Coles. Hopefully he's decent enough two years on!
watching in the warm ups I doubt it