York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:01 pm

So that's 3 signed from Gateshead - this is what makes me laugh about football - its a simple game over complicated by idiots! Just get all your players from the league above and expect them to be good enough because they have played at a higher level.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Gray must have another sizeable budget to work with the way he is like a loose cannon snapping up players from a club in crisis.McGill has to be pumping another small fortune into the club,amazing when his stake in the club is up for sale.Sadly with these signings by Gray, York must be early favourites to finish in the top 3 next season, hate to say it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Yes I agree. York will have a stronger mentality next season - unless of course something major happens.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu May 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]
quakerman wrote:Gray must have another sizeable budget to work with the way he is like a loose cannon snapping up players from a club in crisis.McGill has to be pumping another small fortune into the club,amazing when his stake in the club is up for sale.Sadly with these signings by Gray, York must be early favourites to finish in the top 3 next season, hate to say it.

He can buy the whole Gateshead team but still does not have the tactical nous to produce a successful team at this level.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu May 10, 2018 3:17 pm

quakerman wrote:Gray must have another sizeable budget to work with the way he is like a loose cannon snapping up players from a club in crisis.McGill has to be pumping another small fortune into the club,amazing when his stake in the club is up for sale.Sadly with these signings by Gray, York must be early favourites to finish in the top 3 next season, hate to say it.

Not so sure myself. He's signed underachieving players, so why would they suddenly start achieving? Gateshead finished nowhere last year, and their owners will have been hoping for a play off push. That's probably why they're selling, maybe sick of throwing money at it and getting nowt back.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Its gone ominously quiet from gateshead. Clearly the players there dont think theres much of a future as they are jumping ship quickly now. Three million quid chucked at it in the last three seasons for nothing... no promotion, no ground of their own and a tiny fan base.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:50 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Its gone ominously quiet from gateshead. Clearly the players there dont think theres much of a future as they are jumping ship quickly now. Three million quid chucked at it in the last three seasons for nothing... no promotion, no ground of their own and a tiny fan base.
Cannot understand for the life of me the attraction of investing in Gateshead, never had a decent fan base even in the old 4th division and the previous owners throwing in £3m want their heads examined.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 10, 2018 4:31 pm

banktopp wrote:Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He can buy the whole Gateshead team but still does not have the tactical nous to produce a successful team at this level.[/quote]
He was able to throw money at it without any more tactical nous at every level below this one while our manager - I'm sure with enough money he could do the same again - the tactics don't suddenly enter a different plane just by going up to NLN.

Not suggesting they will go up but I'd be surprised if they don't improve on this season if he is getting the backing to sign full-timers from the division above. It was effectively the way he built his Darlo teams, bringing in players with the quality to play a division or two higher than we were playing from season to season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu May 10, 2018 4:49 pm

The difference being that at a higher level players more frequently have the abilities / nous / physical characteristics to nullify those tactics.

And Gray had no successful plan B other than hoofball - and has not throughout his managerial career.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 10, 2018 4:56 pm

banktopp wrote:
He can buy the whole Gateshead team but still does not have the tactical nous to produce a successful team at this level.
Apart from 16/17 when the team he managed finished 5th in this league

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 10, 2018 5:00 pm

I love how some people are questioning the signings, purely because it's MG signing them. Had we signed any or all of them, we'd be applauding TW for bringing in higher calibre players from the division above.

These signings improve York, no doubt about it. Whether MG gets them to play at their full ability is another matter.

I'm all for a little MG bashing now and then, but some of the hypocrisy from our own supporters is woeful. I've already pointed out how Burrow suits MG's style of play.

And anyone who says MG plays only hoofball clearly didn't pay attention during his time in charge here. He was far more pragmatic than some on here would have you believe.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm

al_quaker wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Success is gaining promotion, finishing fifth isn't. We were found out the following year when other teams realized Gray only had one tactic, hoof it up to Beck.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 10, 2018 5:12 pm

banktopp wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
banktopp wrote:
Success is gaining promotion, finishing fifth isn't. We were found out the following year when other teams realized Gray only had one tactic, hoof it up to Beck.
Finishing 5th isn't a successful season for us in this league with the teams who can outspend us? Ok then. And we may well have been promoted in 16/17 but for reasons outside of Gray's control.

I don't dispute Gray is limited, seemingly heavily reliant on signing players from the levels above. I think he's a tit, and I'd laugh if he carries on cocking it up at York. But he has produced one decent team at this level, which is the only point I'm making.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Can York not just take over Gateshead like Spenny did to Evenwood and our Reserves did to whoever it was? Would save a lot of time and effort.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 am

darlo2001uk wrote:The difference being that at a higher level players more frequently have the abilities / nous / physical characteristics to nullify those tactics.

And Gray had no successful plan B other than hoofball - and has not throughout his managerial career.
Spot on. More like primary school football - boot it to the big lad. Once teams suss that, MG had no other options and it was not pretty to watch.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 am

jjljks wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:The difference being that at a higher level players more frequently have the abilities / nous / physical characteristics to nullify those tactics.

Spot on. More like primary school football - boot it to the big lad. Once teams suss that, MG had no other options and it was not pretty to watch.
Clearly you weren't paying attention when Cartman scored that amazing team goal against Tamworth. There are many other examples I can list. Hardly hoofball.

Keep believing Gray was solely a hoofball merchant if it makes you feel happy, but you're wrong.

Once again, it's amazing how some fans are allowing their dislike of Gray to get the better of them. Dislike Gray for his manner of departure if you want. But it's incredibly idiotic to start rewriting history based on that.

On another thread we have someone claiming that finishing in the top five wasn't a success last season. It's like MG's departure has driven some of our fans mad.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri May 11, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 11, 2018 7:35 am

Gateshead were pretty poor last season, York are signing average NL players, I don't think they'll be as big a threat next season as some posters are making out, especially with Gray still in charge.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri May 11, 2018 8:02 am

Darlogramps wrote:
jjljks wrote:

Clearly you weren't paying attention when Cartman scored that amazing team goal against Tamworth. There are many other examples I can list.

Keep believing Gray was solely a hoofball merchant if you want, but you're wrong.

Once again, it's amazing how some fans are allowing their dislike of Gray to get the
better of them. Dislike Gray for his manner of departure if you want. But it's incredibly idiotic to start rewriting history based on that.

On another thread we have someone claiming tha.t finishing in the top five wasn't a success last season. It's like MG's departure has driven some of our fans mad.
We were a hoofball team under Gray and York are heading the same way.. NEARLY everyone accepts that (even York fans comment on it) though some say otherwise probably because they like an arguement. There was many a reference made during the 5 seasons under him. However, we were successful at it and it worked, but it was not nice to watch. But, even under MG we had the rare glimpses of playing football. The Cartman goal was an example of that and I would put that down to the players, not some pre plan by Gray.
Barca have been known to resort to a direct long ball at times but that doesn't make them a longball (hoofball) team. And neither were we a footballing team.
Cartman himself made a comment to the style of play under Gray when Gray left..
I'm pleased we are where we are today and not playing the same stylle we had. I was grateful of Grays acomplishments but glad he has gone.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri May 11, 2018 8:35 am

Other side of it though is if I was a York fan and we won most weeks and won the league (similar to us in the EVO Prem) I would be happy. The intensity of winning the league would far outweigh watching better football played.

I think Gray and York will do well next year, his signings are decent enough. His budget must be decent again.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 am

I think we became a hoofball team under Gray but I don't think we've been that way over the majority of the climb up the leagues.

The Northern League and Evostick sides were built around direct and fast paced counter attacking from what I remember. Purewal/Armstrong as outlets and with the likes of Dowson and Cartman working hard alongside them. We always played with a couple of pacey wingers.

I don't think a player like Thompson, who is arguably the key man over the last 5-6 years, would have thrived the way he has playing in a long-ball team and it is probably notable that his dip in form in the earlier part of this season was when we were at our most 'long-ball' with an immobile (due to injury) Beck as the target. From what I remember of watching us, and watching highlights, in the Evostick leagues, a lot of our play went through Thompson playing with freedom behind Armstrong and Cartman.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 11, 2018 9:11 am

Spyman wrote:I think we became a hoofball team under Gray but I don't think we've been that way over the majority of the climb up the leagues.

The Northern League and Evostick sides were built around direct and fast paced counter attacking from what I remember. Purewal/Armstrong as outlets and with the likes of Dowson and Cartman working hard alongside them. We always played with a couple of pacey wingers.

I don't think a player like Thompson, who is arguably the key man over the last 5-6 years, would have thrived the way he has playing in a long-ball team and it is probably notable that his dip in form in the earlier part of this season was when we were at our most 'long-ball' with an immobile (due to injury) Beck as the target. From what I remember of watching us, and watching highlights, in the Evostick leagues, a lot of our play went through Thompson playing with freedom behind Armstrong and Cartman.
Bang on - we were often direct under Gray, but it wasn't aimless. It became aimless the season just finished. As darlogramps said earlier, there is some rewriting of history going on with Gray.

York's signings look decent, so I'd imagine they will do better this season. I dread to think how some of our more Gray obsessed fans will handle it if they do do well.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 am

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
jjljks wrote:

Clearly you weren't paying attention when Cartman scored that amazing team goal against Tamworth. There are many other examples I can list.

Keep believing Gray was solely a hoofball merchant if you want, but you're wrong.

Once again, it's amazing how some fans are allowing their dislike of Gray to get the
better of them. Dislike Gray for his manner of departure if you want. But it's incredibly idiotic to start rewriting history based on that.

On another thread we have someone claiming tha.t finishing in the top five wasn't a success last season. It's like MG's departure has driven some of our fans mad.
We were a hoofball team under Gray and York are heading the same way.. NEARLY everyone accepts that (even York fans comment on it) though some say otherwise probably because they like an arguement.
Stop being so childish. See Spyman and al_quaker's comments above. It's a lot more nuanced than "Gray played hoofball all the time".

What you're saying is fake news and nonsense.

Long ball became Gray's default when the going got tough, but he was a lot more pragmatic than people are making out. We played some excellent football under Gray, particularly in the first three or four years. It could be direct, yes, but there's a huge difference between direct play and "hoofball".

Again, by all accounts have a pop at Gray for his behaviour. But this rewriting of history is ridiculous.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:45 am

Think it's about time the MG and York City obsession is nipped in the bud. MG did help us to where we are now, obviously aided somewhat by budget and maybe it hid some of the tactical inadequacies he has. He is now at York City and it hasn't exactly been plain sailing, he failed to get them promoted, some would say karma.

Now it's time to look forward to preseason and some of the signings and hopefully positive momentum we have had under Tommy Wright. Leave MG and York City to sort their own problems out and its probably to ours and other rivals advantage that the pressure will be on him and York City to deliver. There will obviously be a curious glance at how things are going, just like with Raj and the goings on over at Hartlepool.

Let's concentrate on our own situation rather than the hysteria with other clubs. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri May 11, 2018 11:31 am

Darlogramps wrote: Again, by all accounts have a pop at Gray for his behaviour. But this rewriting of history is ridiculous.
Theres only the rewriting of history due to Grays actions from the forum onwards.
There was a lot of long ball tactics but when you win most weeks its not as annoying seeing the ball fly 5' over Cartmans head again. However when we got the ball on the deck we did play some good stuff too, Armstrongs first goal v Whitby a prime example that I can watch over and over again like a good porno!!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri May 11, 2018 12:23 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Again, by all accounts have a pop at Gray for his behaviour. But this rewriting of history is ridiculous.
I can watch over and over again like a good porno!!
TMI.....!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 11, 2018 10:31 pm

loan_star wrote:
Theres only the rewriting of history due to Grays actions from the forum onwards.
There was a lot of long ball tactics but when you win most weeks its not as annoying seeing the ball fly 5' over Cartmans head again. However when we got the ball on the deck we did play some good stuff too, Armstrongs first goal v Whitby a prime example that I can watch over and over again like a good porno!!
And?

Yes Gray, generally speaking, behaved like a dick from the forum onwards. But it doesn't mean fans should be rewriting history because of their dislike of him.

I agree with the rest of your post.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 am

Agree with Gramps. Majority of his time here we were far from hoofball. We became that way last season and the beginning of this because we had Mark Beck and it suited his game more. He wasn't as mobile as Armstrong or Purewal, didn't run the channels like they did. His injury back end of last season, and start of this meant he was even less mobile. Rather than change the set up of the team, Gray persisted with an obviously struggling Beck. Made us look dreadful.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
And?

Yes Gray, generally speaking, behaved like a dick from the forum onwards. But it doesn't mean fans should be rewriting history because of their dislike of him.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Basically what I meant was from the forum onwards a lot of people were looking for a stick to beat Gary with. The downturn in form accentuated this. Personally I think Grays head had been turned long before he actually left so he probably wasnt as bothered about changing playing styles since he knew he would be away sooner rather than later.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 am

Apart from the forum to leaving I think we should remember the part MG played in the amazing rise to where we are now. He might have upset us more recently but we have played some great, exciting football along the way. I particularly think of Thommo tearing Burscough apart. It's not all been up and under, far from it.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 12, 2018 11:58 am

loan_star wrote:
Basically what I meant was from the forum onwards a lot of people were looking for a stick to beat Gary with. The downturn in form accentuated this. Personally I think Grays head had been turned long before he actually left so he probably wasnt as bothered about changing playing styles since he knew he would be away sooner rather than later.
Yeah I agree with that, although there were plenty who sided with Gray at the fans' forum (some of whom are now his most vocal critics on here, I hasten to add).

But yeah, undoubtedly Gray's head had been turned earlier in the season and it finally fell apart from there.