Local Clubs Released Players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Local Clubs Released Players

Post by biccynana » Tue May 15, 2018 6:56 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Bet Fewster's delighted with the way that's worked out at Spenny. He was previously an England youth international, scoring 13 times in 18 games, and then netted eight goals in 24 appearances for York in League Two, including five in as many games that earned him a League Two Player of the Month award while on loan from Middlesbrough. He goes to Spenny, hardly plays, can't score when he does and now faces a pay cut if he wants to stay on.
Just goes to show, the vibes aren't always greener....

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Rhys Oates has been released by Hartlepool, may be worth a look

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:Rhys Oates has been released by Hartlepool, may be worth a look
Not really. Not good enough for a poor Hartlepool side and averages a goal every five games. Not great for a striker.

There's surely better out there.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 18, 2018 4:56 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Not really. Not good enough for a poor Hartlepool side and averages a goal every five games. Not great for a striker.

I’d actually never heard of this guy but a lot of poolie fans seem disappointed that he’s left. Only 19 I believe. Then again, would we have another Saunders , when we are looking for a bit more experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:30 am

Sam Ashton has been released by Chorley. A very good goalkeeper who would be a good signing if we got him to travel with Heaton from the North-West.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:46 am

D_F_C wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I’d actually never heard of this guy but a lot of poolie fans seem disappointed that he’s left. Only 19 I believe. Then again, would we have another Saunders , when we are looking for a bit more experience

Think that’s Devante Rodney you’re talking about

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Sam Ashton has been released by Chorley. A very good goalkeeper who would be a good signing if we got him to travel with Heaton from the North-West.
I wouldn't mind us looking at the loan market for a goalkeeper and striker and try and reserve the budget for the spine of the side. There must be a clinical goal scorer in their ranks who would benefit from a spell in senior football.

I'd hope we can get at least one promising youngster cast off by Newcastle, Sunderland or Middlesbrough on a permanent basis as well. Even if we can just get one in who is of a similar ilk to Wheatley then we do well.

I don't expect we will be able to get these sorts of players committed until the start of the season as they will in all likelihood be attending every FL trial going to remain full time.
Last edited by lo36789 on Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 am

D_F_C wrote: I’d actually never heard of this guy but a lot of poolie fans seem disappointed that he’s left. Only 19 I believe. Then again, would we have another Saunders , when we are looking for a bit more experience

Oates is 23.

Given these are the same Poolie fans who've welcomed Raj Singh with open arms, I'm not really arsed about their judgement. Oates just seems like another player who "works hard" but has little end product. Similar to Cartman.

We need someone with a better record than a goal every five games. When Styche went through a lean spell last season, we struggled.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 18, 2018 7:59 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Sam Ashton has been released by Chorley. A very good goalkeeper who would be a good signing if we got him to travel with Heaton from the North-West.
He's not that good if Chorley have released him.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 18, 2018 8:11 am

Darlogramps wrote: We need someone with a better record than a goal every five games. When Styche went through a lean spell last season, we struggled.
Think you might want to check your stats on that one.

He first played v Harrogate scoring twice in the cup, which was in that dreadful run, and he couldn't stop scoring in his first few matches. In his first 8 league and cup matches (7 league, 1 cup) he scored 8 times and our record was W1 D2 L5.

In the last 16 matches (he was missing at the defeat to Brackley and possibly one other) he scored 5 times and we were W8 D5 L3!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 18, 2018 9:15 am

Probably worded it badly. By "struggled" I meant our performances rather than results. Without Styche we look less of a goal threat. The stats you quote are more reflective of our better defensive play than anything to do with our forward line.

Take the Brackley away game which he missed. Even though they were a stronger team, we lacked any sort of threat going forward. Against Southport at home he barely got into the game and we struggled.

And in the final three games he didn't score at all. So in the thirteen games before that our record was W8, D3 L2, with him scoring a goal every two and a bit games (hardly a lean spell).

In the final three games, he didn't score (or in my opinion play as well) and we didn't win, which backs up my points about performances.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote: I’d actually never heard of this guy but a lot of poolie fans seem disappointed that he’s left. Only 19 I believe. Then again, would we have another Saunders , when we are looking for a bit more experience

Oates is 23.

Given these are the same Poolie fans who've welcomed Raj Singh with open arms, I'm not really arsed about their judgement. Oates just seems like another player who "works hard" but has little end product. Similar to Cartman.

We need someone with a better record than a goal every five games. When Styche went through a lean spell last season, we struggled.
Fair point. At 23 you would be expecting some progress and it doesn’t sound like he’s doing enough

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri May 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Hope we can land a striker with similar skills to Styche, when it comes to trapping and controlling the ball. Quick lay-offs and turns can compromise the more organised defences in our league. Sam Russell and some more kids to follow?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Hope we can land a striker with similar skills to Styche, when it comes to basic skills any paid footballer should have. Quick lay-offs and turns can compromise the more organised defences in our league. Sam Russell and some more kids to follow?
Edited for you Neil.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat May 19, 2018 4:17 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Hope we can land a striker with similar skills to Styche, when it comes to trapping and controlling the ball. Quick lay-offs and turns can compromise the more organised defences in our league. Sam Russell and some more kids to follow?
Since when has Styche had this in his locker quick lay offs??? He is all about beating his man with skill

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Jason Walker - ex Chorley and York. Good striker but perhaps he’s getting on a bit (34 I think). Clever player from memory.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun May 20, 2018 9:57 am

Can't see Walker coming to us. He's from the North West so obvious choices for him are a return to Barrow or maybe Chester/Stockport.

Another one leaving his club is Craig Westcarr from Alfreton, though again not exactly local.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:56 am

Apparently Steve Watson (Gateshead manager) has said there will be more departures from them next week. Id expect their better players Montgomery (gk) and johnson (cf) will get full time ofders. The latter apparently has an offer from pools who he was a youth teamer at. But I hope we're having a look at Nyal Bell (cf) still a fairly young lad and not a bad record when on loan at a poor Alfreton side at the end of last season.

I'd be interested in having a look at Sam Russel was always a safe pair of hands for us.

Not sure when or if the retained listed are out for the likes of Boro, Sunderland, Leeds at to know if there are any prospects coming out of those clubs that we might hope to pick up.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 am

Louis Almond has apparently turned down a new contract at York. Spent a lot of last season injured but there is a decent striker there to be had assuming he is now fit again

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 am

Nimrod wrote:Louis Almond has apparently turned down a new contract at York. Spent a lot of last season injured but there is a decent striker there to be had assuming he is now fit again
Not for me.

He's a lot like Connolly who they've also released, only with less ability.

Has a very good game then does nothing for the next four, seems to think he's better than this level despite evidence to the contrary and has more than a few issues with injury.

Nyal Bell isn't a bad shout though.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am

From Boro:

Under-23s not offered new contracts:
Tom Brewitt

Matthew Elsdon

Liam Hegarty

Jakub Sinior

Robbie Tinkler

Academy Scholars not offered new professional contracts:
Liam Cooke

Kieran Storey

Jay Wilson

Tinkler was on loan at Gateshead last year. Could be a possibility?

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue May 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Would look at Tinkler and Brewitt if Wheatley and Heston perform well at V9 trials as they could be adequate replacements

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Charlton might be interested in Heston joining up with them?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue May 22, 2018 4:06 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Charlton might be interested in Heston joining up with them?
Blumenthal?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue May 22, 2018 4:10 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Charlton might be interested in Heston joining up with them?
Very good :lol:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 am

Services on the M25???

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Services on the M25???

M4 actually, its Clackett Lane (Cobham), Dartford and South Mimms on the M25

I need to get out more

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 23, 2018 3:00 pm

spen666 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Services on the M25???

M4 actually, its Clackett Lane (Cobham), Dartford and South Mimms on the M25

I need to get out more
Oh yes ur right always got them mixed up... Glad I don't still drive down there..

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 am

Has signed for Ramsbottom after his loan spell there last season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:42 am

Quakerz wrote:Can't see Walker coming to us. He's from the North West so obvious choices for him are a return to Barrow or maybe Chester/Stockport.

Another one leaving his club is Craig Westcarr from Alfreton, though again not exactly local.
Personally think Walker and Westcarr are on their way down now. Expecting Walker to end up at Bamber Bridge or Lancaster.