Rumour mill

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rumour mill

Post by bga » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:32 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:Darlington isn't in Country Durham though so can't compare them to us..
Spot on. Neither is Gateshead, neither is Artlepool. All Unitary Authority Areas. Some people love living in the past. Like that Boro lot saying they’re still in North Yorkshire...no you’re not, shut up. You live in a Unitary Authority as well. If past definitions are valid, then we all live in the Anglo Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria and should be worried about being paid a visit by that Utred fella. Just sayin.
I feel one of my headaches coming on! So the sign at the end of the A66(M) saying County Durham has lied to me all those years! Just like Teeside Airport isn't Teeside Airport anymore!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Darlington may be a unitary authority but it is still in County Durham. Here endeth the lesson.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:Darlington may be a unitary authority but it is still in County Durham. Here endeth the lesson.
It’s not though. All counties are a derived from the two-tier structure of local government. The county system has gradually eroded since the government began awarding unitary status to towns and cities. Darlington becoming a unitary authority in 1997. As a consequence, plenty of ‘places’ don’t fall within a County - including Darlington. Therein ends the lesson ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:Well they did appear to want him to extend his contract at one point so when his contract came to an end his registration is released whether that’s his choice or the clubs.
Voila! I love being right. ;)
Of course they have to release his registration if he isn’t under contract anymore! It would be restraint of trade, the reason Bosman kicked up a fuss!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Quakerz wrote:Darlington may be a unitary authority but it is still in County Durham. Here endeth the lesson.
It’s not though. All counties are a derived from the two-tier structure of local government. The county system has gradually eroded since the government began awarding unitary status to towns and cities. Darlington becoming a unitary authority in 1997. As a consequence, plenty of ‘places’ don’t fall within a County - including Darlington. Therein ends the lesson ;)

Just because politicians changed things in councils doesn’t mean boundary maps have been redrawn. Darlington is in County Durham, end of!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:01 pm

I will ask a geography lecturer at work tomorrow.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 pm

loan_star wrote:

Just because politicians changed things in councils doesn’t mean boundary maps have been redrawn. Darlington is in County Durham, end of!
AGREED!

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 pm

loan_star wrote:

Politicians established County Durham in the first place. Oh, the irony. Therefore, we end up back at my original point about the Kingdom of Northumbria and whatever it was before then. I don’t see why people feel so passionate about County Durham anyway. I’d rather place my pride in Darlington.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm

loan_star wrote:

What do you think the boundary maps define? They define administrative boundaries nothing more nothing less, which goes back to my point about Unitary Authorities.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 pm

And has the boundary map of Durham been redrawn? Answer is no!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm

God I hate the close season

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:Well they did appear to want him to extend his contract at one point so when his contract came to an end his registration is released whether that’s his choice or the clubs.
Voila! I love being right. ;)
Of course they have to release his registration if he isn’t under contract anymore! It would be restraint of trade, the reason Bosman kicked up a fuss!
All of which means I'm right. He was released by Fulham who didn't want to keep him.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 pm

tdk1 wrote:God I hate the close season
Touché. I was just thinking the same. How low we’ll stoop just for some “interesting” debate in the absence of real substance. Roll on the next signing.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:39 pm

tdk1 wrote:God I hate the close season
Don't bring God into it. You'll set Quakerz off.

Actually we haven't had a religion-bashing thread in a while.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm

I thought this was a thread about football rumours but since people have decided that local government boundaries are more fun the really smart ones may like to figure this one out.
Following my years of work as a public servant I have a pension paid into my bank every month by the West Midland County Council , however the said Council (like Cleveland County Council) was abolished by Thatcher years ago . So I am getting a pension from an organisation that doesn't exist !

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Darlington is in County Durham, it is the largest settlement in County Durham as well while we go off topic. Saying it isn’t is like saying York isn’t in North Yorkshire because they also have a Unitary Authority. Also let’s hope this new GK is announced soon!

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Actually I think you'll find it isn't in North Yorkshire and never has been - it has always had a special status as the capital of Yorkshire and so couldn't be ascribed to any of the Ridings in case the others got upset/jealous! I kid you not - only in Yorkshire!! Otherwise how could Northallerton be the County town and administrative centre of N Yorkshire but have no jurisdiction over York.

This of course has led the denizens of York to be completely up themselves and think they are special. One of the reasons I haven't a lot of time for them, and they nicked The Locomotion.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:13 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:Actually I think you'll find it isn't in North Yorkshire and never has been - it has always had a special status as the capital of Yorkshire and so couldn't be ascribed to any of the Ridings in case the others got upset/jealous! I kid you not - only in Yorkshire!! Otherwise how could Northallerton be the County town and administrative centre of N Yorkshire but have no jurisdiction over York.

This of course has led the denizens of York to be completely up themselves and think they are special. One of the reasons I haven't a lot of time for them, and they nicked The Locomotion.
Since when was Martin Gray known as The Locomotion? ;)

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:27 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:...and they nicked The Locomotion.
This still irks me too
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:02 am

loan_star wrote:

What do you think the boundary maps define? They define administrative boundaries nothing more nothing less, which goes back to my point about Unitary Authorities.

Boundary maps are often defined by geographical features not Unitary Authorities, rivers being particularly popular in this respect. County Durham bordered by the Tyne and Derwent in the North, North Sea in the East, and Tees as a boundary in the south.
As far as I am aware Darlington is still north of the river Tees.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:14 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:This of course has led the denizens of York to be completely up themselves and think they are special. One of the reasons I haven't a lot of time for them, and they nicked The Locomotion.
Yes, good point, they did nick The Locomotion - Twats!

Anyway, today I have just written a letter to someone in Darlington, County Durham.

To say Darlo is anywhere else is silly.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
dfcdfcdfc wrote:This of course has led the denizens of York to be completely up themselves and think they are special. One of the reasons I haven't a lot of time for them, and they nicked The Locomotion.
Yes, good point, they did nick The Locomotion - Twats!

Anyway, today I have just written a letter to someone in Darlington, County Durham.

To say Darlo is anywhere else is silly.
Did you know that since 1996 the use of Counties in an address is not required, the Royal Mail completely ignore it, so you could write anything you wanted there and it wouldn't make any difference...

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Any chance we can call a halt to all this rubbish and get back to football.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:Actually I think you'll find it isn't in North Yorkshire and never has been - it has always had a special status as the capital of Yorkshire and so couldn't be ascribed to any of the Ridings in case the others got upset/jealous! I kid you not - only in Yorkshire!! Otherwise how could Northallerton be the County town and administrative centre of N Yorkshire but have no jurisdiction over York.

Sorry Quakerman it's the close season.

You are not alone in your opinions dfcdfcdfc, as long ago as 1870 Queen Victoria developed a strong dislike for York.
On her visits up to Scotland the Royal train would often stop in York. Victoria would go for a potter round the shops and if anything took her fancy she would be graciously given it and the shopkeeper would then be able to put " by Royal Appointment " on his shop. However on one trip a stroppy Yorkshire retailer demanded payment for an item which Victoria had taken a fancy to. This sorely vexed her majesty who vowed never to set foot in York again. Furthermore she gave instructions that in future the blinds on the royal train would be pulled down as it approached York and not raised again until the train reached fair Darlington.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Darlington is in the historic county of Durham, although technically it is a unitary authority.

Boro is even weirder, because they had Cleveland, and definitely ceased to be Yorkshire. I've never quite got why some of them want to be thought of as North Yorkshire anyway. Seems to be the older lot who do it. It's always been the north east as far as i'm concerned, as are we, Pools, Newcastle and Sunderland, all the way up the the Scottish borders.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:29 pm

I think the logical solution is for us all to agree that Darlington is definitely in County Durham, whilst it is also definitely not in County Durham.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Magical Quakers wrote:I think the logical solution is for us all to agree that Darlington is definitely in County Durham, whilst it is also definitely not in County Durham.
Surely we compromise on something everyone recognises but no one uses like Durham Tees Valley Airport - so County Darlington is my proposal. ;)

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Unitary authorities and counties are not the same thing. The authority covering most of County Durham happens to be called Durham County Council but that is just a name, it is not defining the boundaries of the geographical county.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Back on topic, I've heard we've enquired about Jacob Blyth.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:10 pm

AndyPark wrote:Back on topic, I've heard we've enquired about Jacob Blyth.
What's his background Andy and what position.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk