New venue required to . . .

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Henley
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Henley » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:30 am

H1987

Re: New venue required to . . .

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:39 am

Dear me, the high street is in terminal decline in Darlington. It struck me the last time i was back. It's got to be a bad sign when even McDonalds pack up and leave. M&S is off as well isn't it?

I know it's kind of indicative of how town centres are going now, where they're more for leisure than shopping (and the bars and restaurants are generally getting better) but still. With Binns gone there's not exactly going to be much else.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 am

There’s clearly little demand ergo no great loss.

I expect in the next 20 year many town centre’s will be repurposed for housing seeing a return to how they were before the shopping boom

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:57 pm

I’m not keen on DBC, but your can’t blame them for this closure. HOF have a a new Chinese investor who has basically told them if you want the investment close 31 stores. Poundland is also about to go into administration with a loss of 6000 jobs.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Town centre retail is dead, or dying .

Like Divas said, town centres will return to housing in the not too distant future.
Think before posting

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Shop wise Binns is one of the best things Darlo has going for it - closing it will be yet another reason why people won't travel into the town any more - but what can anyone do?

:thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Bars and restaurants? The range of which seems to get better each time i return anyway. The problem with places like this closing is that they can't easily be repurposed for other businesses, so they tend to sit empty.

See BHS. It's such a big unit, no small business would want it. Bit big for a club shop, even with beneficial rates :mrgreen:

lifetime darlo fan

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:44 pm

H1987 wrote:Bars and restaurants? The range of which seems to get better each time i return anyway. The problem with places like this closing is that they can't easily be repurposed for other businesses, so they tend to sit empty.

See BHS. It's such a big unit, no small business would want it. Bit big for a club shop, even with beneficial rates :mrgreen:
B & M are opening a new store creating 35 jobs in the old BHS store. Savers are moving into the old Argos building. Not all retail is dead and buried. I love our town centre and with the 2 hour free parking initiative (long overdue) hopefully footfall might increase. The council should have reduced the parking costs years ago

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:25 pm

lifetime darlo fan wrote:
H1987 wrote:Bars and restaurants? The range of which seems to get better each time i return anyway. The problem with places like this closing is that they can't easily be repurposed for other businesses, so they tend to sit empty.

B & M are opening a new store creating 35 jobs in the old BHS store. Savers are moving into the old Argos building. Not all retail is dead and buried. I love our town centre and with the 2 hour free parking initiative (long overdue) hopefully footfall might increase. The council should have reduced the parking costs years ago
Totally agree with this if the council lowered the rent prices that surely would help smaller retailers and the big ones too..

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:52 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Totally agree with this if the council lowered the rent prices that surely would help smaller retailers and the big ones too..
The Council only owns a handful of properties in the town centre. The high rents aren't down to them.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 pm

aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

The Council only owns a handful of properties in the town centre. The high rents aren't down to them.
I bet they own Binns as its an Asset...

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

As it's an asset ?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 pm

aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
lifetime darlo fan wrote: B & M are opening a new store creating 35 jobs in the old BHS store. Savers are moving into the old Argos building. Not all retail is dead and buried. I love our town centre and with the 2 hour free parking initiative (long overdue) hopefully footfall might increase. The council should have reduced the parking costs years ago
As it's an asset ?
Prime location

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 am

This thread should be off topic, where a similar thread has already been started.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 am

Solution is to build the new Sports Hub in the town centre. Knock down the unwanted stores and put in a bus station together with a 10k stadium and parking.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Council made a fast buck buy selling a lot of the town centre retail about 10 years ago to property companies based in London. They charged and still charge London rates and with the financial spiral since 2008 businesses large and small just can't afford or justify paying extortionate rates. It's another example of the council's complete ineptness! :roll: :thumbdown:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

aveda

Post by aveda » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 am

real_darlo_85 wrote: Council made a fast buck buy selling a lot of the town centre retail about 10 years ago to property companies based in London. They charged and still charge London rates and with the financial spiral since 2008 businesses large and small just can't afford or justify paying extortionate rates. It's another example of the council's complete ineptness! :roll: :thumbdown:
Which properties do you think they sold ten years ago ?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:17 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:This thread should be off topic, where a similar thread has already been started.
It had to be one you started Pete ImageImageImage

aveda

Post by aveda » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:[quote="aveda
As it's an asset ?[/quote]
Prime location[/quote]

99.99% sure they don't own it and probably never have.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 pm

aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
aveda wrote:
As it's an asset ?
Prime location[/quote]

99.99% sure they don't own it and probably never have.[/quote]

I bow down to you're superior knowledge

aveda

Post by aveda » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
aveda wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
aveda wrote:
As it's an asset ?
Prime location
99.99% sure they don't own it and probably never have.[/quote]

I bow down to you're superior knowledge[/quote]

No need to bow, I'm not Darlogramps

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm very much in favour of the idea of people bowing down to me.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:03 pm

This article sort of implies that Binns / House of Fraser Bought the darlington High Row properties themselves in the early part of last century.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... _together/

They did however do some sort of sale and lease back deal on a number of their properties in the early part of this century but I do not know if the Darlington Binns was part of that deal.

As a slight aside David Black must have had some night out on the evening of the fire.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 19066.html

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Darlo Dodger wrote:This article sort of implies that Binns / House of Fraser Bought the darlington High Row properties themselves in the early part of last century.

They did however do some sort of sale and lease back deal on a number of their properties in the early part of this century but I do not know if the Darlington Binns was part of that deal.

Your interpretation is supported by information from HM Land Registry.
The property at 7 High Row has not been sold since sometime before 1990 according to HM Land Registry information. The Darlington area become a compulsory registration area in 1990, meaning any property sales from then onwards must be registered at HM Lan Registry to be a valid transaction. They also confirm that the property is not registered ergo it has not been sold since 1990

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Darlo Dodger wrote:This article sort of implies that Binns / House of Fraser Bought the darlington High Row properties themselves in the early part of last century.

As a slight aside David Black must have had some night out on the evening of the fire.

It would seem that House of Fraser made the same mistake as Woolworths did. Woolies owned most of their estate originally but saw an opportunity to increase profits by selling off and leasing back. No doubt their board had handsome bonuses for a few years, but further down the line Woolies had no resilience when they hit a prolonged downturn having to deal with the fixed cost of the rent.

andydarlo

Post by andydarlo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Never ever thought I would see the the day when ERGO was use don this forum :)
How educated we have become

To lose one key anchor tentant, to use shopping mall speak, is careless; to lose 2 is ....... (choose your own word)

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 am

Sign of changing times as it is not just Darlington. Would be interesting to know how many lamenting the closure have purchased in store in the past year.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:

It would seem that House of Fraser made the same mistake as Woolworths did. Woolies owned most of their estate originally but saw an opportunity to increase profits by selling off and leasing back. No doubt their board had handsome bonuses for a few years, but further down the line Woolies had no resilience when they hit a prolonged downturn having to deal with the fixed cost of the rent.
Property deals with short term cash / profitability benefits have been the downfall of many businesses. The sale and lease back produces immediate cash. It can be justified if the business needs substantial cash investment but it can also be disastrous for the long term future of the business. Another deal to be wary of is the seemingly straightforward long term lease on prestigious new premises. I know of one very long established business (they were in the property field themselves) which took out a 25 year lease on just such premises. The first 2-3 years were either rent free or at a very modest rent.
The directors who were on profit related bonuses made a fortune in these early years and then retired.
The full commercial rent then kicked in.
The receivers were in and the place closed down within the next two years.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm

jjljks wrote:Solution is to build the new Sports Hub in the town centre. Knock down the unwanted stores and put in a bus station together with a 10k stadium and parking.
One useless building in Feethams could be bulldozed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:Sign of changing times as it is not just Darlington. Would be interesting to know how many lamenting the closure have purchased in store in the past year.
I have! A pair of 501's :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!