Tommy wants 3 new players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:58 pm

A holding midfielder, a forward and a goalkeeper.
He says that the holding midfielder he wants is in the National League North, and there are 2 goalkeepers he's considering on loan, both at Championship clubs?
Who do you reckon?

Spyman

Re: Tommy wants 3 new players

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:A holding midfielder, a forward and a goalkeeper.
He says that the holding midfielder he wants is in the National League North, and there are 2 goalkeepers he's considering on loan, both at Championship clubs?
Who do you reckon?
Pears and AN Other kid.

Surprised he's after another forward - personally I'd get a keeper, a midfielder and hold back any other budget until he's seen the squad in action and identified any gaps.

That said, I'd have Neil Austin back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 pm

My guess for the holding mid player is Elliot from Nuneaton, Pretty decent player on the ball and is quite highly rated I believe, keeper, would love it to be Pears but doubt it and for the forward I reckon it could be someone who has the versatility to play through the middle and can also play out side as well

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Good shout regarding Tom Elliot, I’d love to see him sign for us.

As for the forward, I’d definitely take Jordan Nicholson.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:13 am

Quakers83 wrote:Good shout regarding Tom Elliot, I’d love to see him sign for us.

As for the forward, I’d definitely take Jordan Nicholson.
Can’t see the forward being high profile. With Styche and Ainge there then how much game time will he get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:31 am

I've said it in another thread, we're after Jacob Blyth.

My money is on him coming in.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:15 am

Spyman wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:A holding midfielder, a forward and a goalkeeper.
Who do you reckon?
Pears and AN Other kid.

Surprised he's after another forward - personally I'd get a keeper, a midfielder and hold back any other budget until he's seen the squad in action and identified any gaps.

That said, I'd have Neil Austin back.

Maybe he's planning to play Ainge in defence? You never know. Or playing with three forwards with a if we conceed two we can score three mentality?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:59 am

Tommy spoke about the partnership between Styche and Ainge, so I can't see him playing in defence. I wonder if the forward will be one of those 'wide forwards' who's basically a winger?

If I had to guess about the keepers, I'd say we've asked about Pears and it's still being decided, so we've identified another young keeper as an alternative. Could be wildly wrong though!

And no idea about the midfielder. A couple of signings early next week to keep us ticking over until the world cup starts would be ideal Tommy if you can!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:08 am

Aynsley Pears, Jacob Blyth, Tom Elliot. Now that would be nice.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Aynsley Pears, Jacob Blyth, Tom Elliot. Now that would be nice.
I reckon it’ll be these three, but I would love Jordan Nicholson though

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:25 am

Would definitely take those 3 to go with what we have.

IF we can offload Caton then we should look at providing cover in defence or another winger. A decent sized squad of 16 supplemented by young lads (Vaulks, Glover, Saunders).

A far cry from the inflated 21-man squad we were carrying at the beginning of last season, that didn't include the 2 out on loan (Jameson, Wearmouth) and youth players (Milburn, Hume, Saunders etc).

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:31 am

One of the players that Wright is considering is more of a winger than a striker according to Craig Stoddart on Twitter

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:38 am

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:One of the players that Wright is considering is more of a winger than a striker according to Craig Stoddart on Twitter
Could well mean that we're close to moving Caton on then?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:39 am

Nuneaton are well in the s***, and they terminated Tom Elliot's contract yesterday.

I can see most of their players being released whether in contract or not, because they aren't getting paid properly.

This means someone is likely to also pick up Ashley Chambers.

Could he be considered more of a winger than striker?

Imagine if we got those two plus Pears, fucking hell that'd be a nice little squad there.

As spyman said - I'd look at tempting Neil Austin back. He's been playing at a lower level and is 35 now but he is versatile and could provide defensive cover, where we're looking a bit short right now.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:40 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Would definitely take those 3 to go with what we have.

IF we can offload Caton then we should look at providing cover in defence or another winger. A decent sized squad of 16 supplemented by young lads (Vaulks, Glover, Saunders).

A far cry from the inflated 21-man squad we were carrying at the beginning of last season, that didn't include the 2 out on loan (Jameson, Wearmouth) and youth players (Milburn, Hume, Saunders etc).
How long are we going to call Saunders (born July 97) a young lad..
He is a month younger than Trotman (born June 97) but no-one ever seems to think of him as a young lad... Both will be 21 before the new season. Their birth dates were taken from google
Before anyone says my info is wrong, I took their DOB from google, so it could well be.
Justasking.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:42 am

Hutchy on the Tin Shed made a good shout which would fit - George Green of Nuneaton.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:44 am

I think it's telling that we're looking at two potential keepers on loan rather than trying to sign Russell - I believe he will have been snapped up by Spendy where he bezzie Chandler is.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Hutchy on the Tin Shed made a good shout which would fit - George Green of Nuneaton.
What position does Green play?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:51 am

Quakerz wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Hutchy on the Tin Shed made a good shout which would fit - George Green of Nuneaton.
What position does Green play?
Going from his Wiki page, he's an attacking midfielder - Not sure we need that, need a defensive body in front of the defence similar to Turnbull.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:00 am

If he is more of a wide attacking midfielder - ie a winger, then he would be competition for Gillies and Thompson.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 am

Looking at his wiki page, this George Green seems to have a really good pedigree.

He was also born in Dewsbury in Yorkshire so if he still lives around there, he's not a million miles away in travelling terms.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:10 am

Austin would also be a good example to what is a relatively young defence, Galbraith excepted.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Jacob Blyth has a long term injury.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Quakerz wrote:I think it's telling that we're looking at two potential keepers on loan rather than trying to sign Russell - I believe he will have been snapped up by Spendy where he bezzie Chandler is.
Must be going to the "pride of county durham" I would think, Ainsley has already said he has 4 pretty well signed up but still contracted and some from higher divisions.He released Lowson and Porter so nailed on.And he is also ex Darlo so there we go.
Quakerz wrote:I think it's telling that we're looking at two potential keepers on loan rather than trying to sign Russell - I believe he will have been snapped up by Spendy where he bezzie Chandler is.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:Nuneaton are well in the s***, and they terminated Tom Elliot's contract yesterday.

I can see most of their players being released whether in contract or not, because they aren't getting paid properly.

This means someone is likely to also pick up Ashley Chambers.

Could he be considered more of a winger than striker?

Imagine if we got those two plus Pears, fucking hell that'd be a nice little squad there.

As spyman said - I'd look at tempting Neil Austin back. He's been playing at a lower level and is 35 now but he is versatile and could provide defensive cover, where we're looking a bit short right now.
Not wrong about Nuneaton's situation. Chairman of Port Vale is bidding for them! Their fans haven't been able to come up with the finances to save their club, so could be a fire sale & potential to pick up some talent. No doubt TW has been tracking this possibility.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:23 pm

loan_star wrote:Jacob Blyth has a long term injury.
Also some off-field issues according to Scottish Sun, but must have had some skill to get a place in Motherwell 1st team. Would be a risky punt, but doesn't everyone deserve a 2nd chance?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:57 pm

And let's be honest, inhaling nitrous oxide on holiday is hardly crime of the century.

Didn't Jack Grealish get some flack for doing the same a couple of years back? He seems to have bounced back just fine.

DC

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Spyman wrote:And let's be honest, inhaling nitrous oxide on holiday is hardly crime of the century.

Didn't Jack Grealish get some flack for doing the same a couple of years back? He seems to have bounced back just fine.

Our other signing has taken much worse, we just need to let TW assess the risks and give the 2nd chances.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:35 pm

shawry wrote:
Spyman wrote:And let's be honest, inhaling nitrous oxide on holiday is hardly crime of the century.

Our other signing has taken much worse, we just need to let TW assess the risks and give the 2nd chances.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Indeed.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Quakerz wrote:Looking at his wiki page, this George Green seems to have a really good pedigree.

He was also born in Dewsbury in Yorkshire so if he still lives around there, he's not a million miles away in travelling terms.
Did he play for Everton? If it’s the lad I’m thinking about I remember being at Everton academy 5/6 years ago where they had him as their next big thing.