Sporting Village

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Sporting Village

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 pm

It looks like the sporting village has taken a step closer according to tomorrow's Northern Echo: 'Work on £20m leisure and retail project could start next year'.

Seventynine

Re: Sporting Village

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 pm

the labour council agreeing to double yellow lines ...no chance

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:05 pm

ill eat my hens s*** if Darlington football club fall for that northern echo shyte ..is it a nick louggen monkesville bolloxs ..is he still employed ?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Despite the negativity with the council and the arena this could be the answer to our prayers, I would not doubt we would have to raise significant funds to be involved.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 pm

negativity with this labour council has gone far enough , what prayers ffs ..

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:44 am

Bet the rugby club are worried, if this idea takes off then it could spell the end for them.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:57 am

From mowden: Darlington Mowden Park RFC are today pleased to announce that the Tees Valley Combined Authority has granted an initial £450,000 toward the multi-million pound Darlington Sports Village development.

Half a million pounds in total has been agreed to allow the project to further progress through detailed next stage work, with the Combined Authority providing £449,950 and Darlington Council an additional £50,000.

After successfully conducting initial feasibility studies and receiving a high level of partner interest, the Club and Council sought support from the Tees Valley Combined Authority to further develop the detailed business case including a full suite of site investigations, with intention to deliver the Darlington Sports Village by 2020.

Darlington Mowden Park RFC working in conjunction with Darlington Borough Council have progressed a mixed use development concept that would facilitate an exciting array of new leisure, commercial and sporting elements on land adjacent to the Arena.

The announcement marks the latest step in the Club’s remarkable journey since acquiring the Darlington Arena in 2012 and setting about its transformation.

The development has also been identified with integration to wider plans that include attraction of further high profile international sport and major music artists to the region. It follows the recent announcement that the Arena is a key part of Tees Valley’s bid to host fixtures for the Rugby League World Cup in 2021.

Lee Rust, Managing Director of Darlington Mowden Park said: ‘’A huge amount of work has already gone into the Arena’s transition as a venue and the Darlington Sports Village development. We’ve seen some fantastic progress in recent years including international sport, concerts, major events and both community and business use.’’

‘‘There is an opportunity to build on progress made and to create something of real significance that will benefit the town and region on multiple levels’’.

‘’We’re delighted to receive formal support from both Tees Valley Combined Authority and Darlington Borough Council and we’re excited to be taking the next steps which will include confirmation of leisure and sporting partners.

‘’A number of people and organisations have supported the Club through the initial development processes but we must specifically mention Paul Mackings and his team with our thanks, who has been instrumental.’’

Mayor Ben Houchen said: “This Sports Village could be transformational for Darlington and the wider area, creating state-of-the-art sports facilities and jobs for local people. This could help the Tees Valley to continue to attract major events and high profile sportsmen and women just a few years after the New Zealand All Blacks trained at the Arena during the Rugby Union World Cup in 2015.

“We’re now bidding to bring Rugby League World Cup teams to the Tees Valley at both the Arena and Middlesbrough’s Riverside stadium to play matches and to host training sessions. We hope this will inspire more local people to take up sports and attract more visitors to the area.”

Cllr Bill Dixon, leader of Darlington Borough Council, said: ‘’This funding will enable us to seriously scope out what the Sport Village can be, moving from concept to full feasibility business case. This is an exciting development and would be an excellent addition enhancing the Tees Valley’s sporting offer.’’

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 am

Maybe it’s just me, but don’t see how we are going to become a major part of this. Reading the article and quotes it strikes me that it is Mowden RFc,s baby so why suddenly will we have our own 3g pitch, ground, clubhouse etc. Really hope I am wrong as would love to leave Blackwell in future and have the ability to generate our own income etc etc that David J has eluded to many times. Just feels like the council supporting Rugby and not DFC again.
Think we need some sort of update from him.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:33 am

OK, so we now know the part of the reason they are doing it - Rugby League World Cup in 2021.

How we can become part of this will be difficult - it may be that we will have to wait until after 2021.

However, we should be on Darlington Borough Councils case continuously.

This has left me somewhat deflated as I am not sure how this could work for us. A 6,000 stadium is what we need, but why would we get permission to have one right next to another stadium - does not make sense.
Greg Norman

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:57 am

I'm sure we'll be welcomed - as long as we can find the £10 million needed to build a stadium ourselves.

It's all about the rugger in this town and they aren't even the biggest club.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:00 am

Money to prop up a failing Rugby club that got ideas above its station. Funny how there was never money for a football club in a similar situation.

I'm sure there'll be an update from the board coming, but it doesn't sound like there's much available. I don't really want to play in the shadow of the white elephant anyway, i'd sooner we try to develop a better relationship with the rugby club. Blackwell is a better location too.

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am

On first glance difficult to see how we would fit into this plan. Has as been said appears all about MPRFC and the World cup.
One interesting note on the Northern Echo feature is the name Richard Upshall appearing again, strikingly similar to the vision he was proposing a few year back, but in a different location. Perhaps DRC missed a trick for a fast buck ?

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:59 am

tezza wrote:On first glance difficult to see how we would fit into this plan. Has as been said appears all about MPRFC and the World cup.
One interesting note on the Northern Echo feature is the name Richard Upshall appearing again, strikingly similar to the vision he was proposing a few year back, but in a different location. Perhaps DRC missed a trick for a fast buck ?
This seems more ambitious than his plan, which the council said was too ambitious

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:35 pm

The council's definition of ambitious seems to be propping up Rugby and permitting more Music events to also solely benefit Rugby. Only one alien sport in the sports village?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Where has it mentioned anything at all about the football club being involved, it states other partners are involved in the discussion, who are these others.
Most as I hear are smaller than MPR CLUB. DARLINGTON FC cannot be classed as smaller, so a problem.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Yeah. Sounds like a rugby hub rather than a sporting hub. And calling it a sports hub when far and away the biggest sporting club in the town is not part of it would be ridiculous. I don't think the town's football club is uppermost in local politicians minds. We have never heard the kind of commitment that councils in places like Hereford and Hartlepool have made to help secure the future of their clubs. There are councils where they recognise the value the part that a thriving football club can make to the local community. Hell, in Hartlepool they even loaned the club huge sums to help make sure it didn't go under and had free parking days with donations going to the club. We had to do it all by ourselves to revive our club and I suspect that's how it will be going forward.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:19 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Yeah. Sounds like a rugby hub rather than a sporting hub. And calling it a sports hub when far and away the biggest sporting club in the town is not part of it would be ridiculous. I don't think the town's football club is uppermost in local politicians minds. We have never heard the kind of commitment that councils in places like Hereford and Hartlepool have made to help secure the future of their clubs. There are councils where they recognise the value the part that a thriving football club can make to the local community. Hell, in Hartlepool they even loaned the club huge sums to help make sure it didn't go under and had free parking days with donations going to the club. We had to do it all by ourselves to revive our club and I suspect that's how it will be going forward.
Yes I thought it was being sold as a sporting hub, yet when you read the detail it reads as a rugby hub (I didnt know Darlington was such a hot bed of rugby :) ).
Another question is - where does this leave Darlington Rugby Club - could they potentially leave to go to this Rugby hub and Blackwell Meddows be left for football.
I suppose there are lots of different scenarios.
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm

I like this bit:

The announcement marks the latest step in the rugby club’s remarkable journey since acquiring the Darlington Arena in 2012 and setting about its transformation.

Not very long ago they were borrowing huge sums from Raj Singh to keep their heads above water.

The fact is that if they were seriously trying to develop a "sporting village" for Darlington, then one of the priorities from the outset should be getting the town's biggest sports club involved. It's significant that no-one from the rugby club, the mayor for the area or the leader of the council mentions football at all. I would have thought the football club would have been a central plank to any plans to have a proper sports hub. But I'm not surprised by the way it has been packaged.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm

BM was supposed to be a sporting hub, how many does Darlington need?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Another question is - where does this leave Darlington Rugby Club - could they potentially leave to go to this Rugby hub and Blackwell Meddows be left for football.
Now that's an interesting thought!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:08 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Another question is - where does this leave Darlington Rugby Club - could they potentially leave to go to this Rugby hub and Blackwell Meddows be left for football.
Now that's an interesting thought!
They own the club house and first team pitch... wonder how much they'd want for it... we can level the club and build a big stand!! :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:52 pm

[quote="Quakerz"]I'm sure we'll be welcomed - as long as we can find the £10 million needed to build a stadium ourselves.

Might as well aim for the £600 million that the FA are wanting for Wembley!

Disappointing that the focus seems to be entirely on rugby - hardly 'sporting' if we are being excluded. Some pressure needs to be brought on this Tees Valley Authority as to our needs, as previous experience shows we cannot rely on Darlington council to help us. Would some kind of petition help David J to advance our case with them?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:05 pm

I' ve read different articles on this issue, I think our board have been trying to get something concrete from meetings about this hub before they said anything to us the fans, fair play to them. If/when anything was happening for us they I'm sure would communicate with us all.it would have to be right for darlington fc.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Be interesting to see how the plans develop - I'll be honest, I'm struggling to see how we fit into it. We need our own facilities long term, but is there going to be another stadium built next to the Arena? I'm sure we'll hear something from the club at some point, and I also trust those at the top to do what's right by the club - they know what we need

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 pm

I wouldn't be too alarmed that a statement from a rugby club only focuses on rugby.

lifetime darlo fan

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:20 pm

So much flapping from people. There's hardly any detail released in the articles from Mowden or in the echo. Just see what happens.

Aside from our football club such a development would be excellent for the town as a whole. As a fan owned club we are used to doing most things our own way anyway and I'm not against remaining at Blackwell and growing organically as we have done so far

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:26 pm

onewayup wrote:I' ve read different articles on this issue, I think our board have been trying to get something concrete from meetings about this hub before they said anything to us the fans, fair play to them. If/when anything was happening for us they I'm sure would communicate with us all.it would have to be right for darlington fc.
This. DJ has repeatedly said that this is our position. Speculation on this issue is pointless.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:31 pm

It's probably just as well there is a retail element to the rugby hub as pretty soon the only ones left in the town centre will be nail bars, vape shops, charity shops and a couple of Xmas card pop-ups once a year. Thank God Quaker Retail is hanging on in there :D

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
tezza wrote:On first glance difficult to see how we would fit into this plan. Has as been said appears all about MPRFC and the World cup.
This seems more ambitious than his plan, which the council said was too ambitious
Thats the bug bear for me, a plan that could have been ideal for us was rejected for reasons that now appear not to matter when its Mowden that are proposing them. Plus DBC have found £50k for the feasibility study but left the car park at Blackwell with only one way in and out.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:12 pm

loan_star wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
Thats the bug bear for me, a plan that could have been ideal for us was rejected for reasons that now appear not to matter when its Mowden that are proposing them. Plus DBC have found £50k for the feasibility study but left the car park at Blackwell with only one way in and out.
To be fare you only get the council you vote for , so if there is an appetite for it, change it, they are only there by public vote, simple.