You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 am View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 5042
Team Supported: Darlington
If it is Nicholson, and all clues point to him, then based on his record at this level he should be another very good signing. We struggled for goals last season, but with Styche, Ainge, Nicholson (TBC) Thompson, Syers and Gillies there'll be no excuses for not scoring plenty this year.

A defensive minded CM and a GK, and then I think we have a very strong looking squad (any V9 departures not withstanding).

_________________
https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupportersgroup.org/

http://buytickets.at/dfcsg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Posts: 155
Team Supported: Darlington
shawry wrote:
en passant wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Nicholson has looked very good when seen him play, another very good signing. Plenty of energy and goals in his game, as mentioned CM and GK are required.

I wonder if we start the season with Heaton as well, clubs are certainly taking an interest in him.


On another thread there has been a lot of rumour that Heaton is going to be snapped up. This is generally seen as a positive as it will bring in money. The same also goes for the other two at the Vardy academy. Personally I would rather have all three stay for another year as I think the team being built looks like it could truly impress next season, and that is the rub. When talking of selling on our better players it is assumed that buyers will be as struck by their potential as we are, but all three have had limited game time last year, Trotman and Heaton only arrived after the change of management and Wheatley wasn't given much chance by MG. Potential buyers are bound to point to their lack of a full season of impressive play as a way of reducing their valuation so I do not think they would currently bring in as much of a fee as some think. Give them the coming season to both benefit Darlo on the pitch and impress further and we might well see some higher offers. This seems to be better than cashing in our chips too early when finances at the club are such as there is no immediate need to sell.
They've consistently performed for half a season (ish) and then impressed at the v9 academy, their price will be inflated a bit because of the academy. We also need to look at the point that coming to Darlo can help you move back into full time football, refusing to sell will hamper player acquisition.

Best result would be sell with clauses both appearance and sell on, and see if we can loan them back for a year :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Agree that if there is to be an early sale of any of our players that the club must try to get a sell on clause to acknowledge their future potential that will give Darlo a windfall payment. If we can also get a loan back that would be ideal. But again I do think we are inclined to be a bit Darlocentric in believing that we are the only team to have players with potential and to think we can call the shots on a deal when the potential buyer might just as easily move on to another target elsewhere. I would still be a bit wary of cashing in too soon.

And to cover the point raised above about getting a reputation for being a club that will further the ambitions of young players and therefore encourage others to join us, I don't think that holding onto them for a little longer would queer that ambition. What Pears acknowledged last year was that getting playing time in meaningful games is better for the player than disappearing into the shadows of third team football at a higher placed club.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Posts: 2501
Team Supported: Darlington
en passant wrote:
shawry wrote:
en passant wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Nicholson has looked very good when seen him play, another very good signing. Plenty of energy and goals in his game, as mentioned CM and GK are required.

I wonder if we start the season with Heaton as well, clubs are certainly taking an interest in him.


On another thread there has been a lot of rumour that Heaton is going to be snapped up. This is generally seen as a positive as it will bring in money. The same also goes for the other two at the Vardy academy. Personally I would rather have all three stay for another year as I think the team being built looks like it could truly impress next season, and that is the rub. When talking of selling on our better players it is assumed that buyers will be as struck by their potential as we are, but all three have had limited game time last year, Trotman and Heaton only arrived after the change of management and Wheatley wasn't given much chance by MG. Potential buyers are bound to point to their lack of a full season of impressive play as a way of reducing their valuation so I do not think they would currently bring in as much of a fee as some think. Give them the coming season to both benefit Darlo on the pitch and impress further and we might well see some higher offers. This seems to be better than cashing in our chips too early when finances at the club are such as there is no immediate need to sell.
They've consistently performed for half a season (ish) and then impressed at the v9 academy, their price will be inflated a bit because of the academy. We also need to look at the point that coming to Darlo can help you move back into full time football, refusing to sell will hamper player acquisition.

Best result would be sell with clauses both appearance and sell on, and see if we can loan them back for a year :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Agree that if there is to be an early sale of any of our players that the club must try to get a sell on clause to acknowledge their future potential that will give Darlo a windfall payment. If we can also get a loan back that would be ideal. But again I do think we are inclined to be a bit Darlocentric in believing that we are the only team to have players with potential and to think we can call the shots on a deal when the potential buyer might just as easily move on to another target elsewhere. I would still be a bit wary of cashing in too soon.

And to cover the point raised above about getting a reputation for being a club that will further the ambitions of young players and therefore encourage others to join us, I don't think that holding onto them for a little longer would queer that ambition. What Pears acknowledged last year was that getting playing time in meaningful games is better for the player than disappearing into the shadows of third team football at a higher placed club.
It is, but he is already at a higher club on loan, completely different to being a released player moving to part time football trying to get back.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 1239
Team Supported: Darlington
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Aynsley Pears, Jacob Blyth, Tom Elliot. Now that would be nice.


I reckon it’ll be these three, but I would love Jordan Nicholson though


Looks like a good call Manbun.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5725
Team Supported: Darlington
Vodka_Vic wrote:
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Aynsley Pears, Jacob Blyth, Tom Elliot. Now that would be nice.


I reckon it’ll be these three, but I would love Jordan Nicholson though


Looks like a good call Manbun.


Blyth is injured long term.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Posts: 40
Team Supported: Darlington
With the pending addition of Nicholson we will now have an attack that could possibly be the best in non league, Styche, Ainge, Thompson, Gillies, Syers and Nicholson all of these are more than capable of getting at least 10 goals each in the league


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 12467
Team Supported: Darlington
Callum Roberts (GK) and Nat Wedderburn (MF)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Thirsk
Team Supported: Darlington
divas wrote:
Callum Roberts (GK) and Nat Wedderburn (MF)

What about them? ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Posts: 494
Team Supported: Darlington
Nicholson deal confirmed on official site.a


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
divas wrote:
Callum Roberts (GK) and Nat Wedderburn (MF)


If Wedderburn is half as good as the last midfielder that we got from Dunfermline then he would be a good signing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 1239
Team Supported: Darlington
Wedderburn left Dunfermline last Monday, so assume is now a free agent. That would be a hell of a signing Divas. He's a defensive midfielder as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Posts: 153
Team Supported: Darlington
Nicholson has a solid record at NLN level - hopefully he turns out to be a good signing, and on paper this seems to be a coup by TW.

Wedderburn fits the bill too - left-footed defensive midfielder who can play in numerous positions including centre-half. I’d take either him or Elliot, or perhaps both depending on the situation with Wheatley.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 10975
Team Supported: Darlington
Yes we are a selling club, like just about every other club, but we are in a position now were we don't have to sell for selling sake. If we don't get the right deal for any of our players, then we can reject the offer and keep the players or players for another season. This position does strengthen our hand considerably. Gone are the days when clubs can cherry pick our best players and offer us a poor deal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 1080
Team Supported: Darlington
So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
jjljks wrote:
So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:


And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
Goalkeeper due in over this next week apparently. Players return for pre-season training on Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 1080
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:


And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.


Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
jjljks wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:


And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.


Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:


Wheatley isn't a holding midfielder, neither are any of our others (Syers, Hughes & Glover). We need a holding-style central midfielder, we let a very good one go in Phil Turnbull plus Leon Scott and they need replacing with one more addition plus a goalkeeper.

TW has explained around 10 days ago that he wants 3 more, a goalkeeper, a holding centre mid and a forward (Jordan Nicholson). He has 1 of his 3 now so clearly he is going to try and add two more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 10975
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:


And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.


Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:


Wheatley isn't a holding midfielder, neither are any of our others (Syers, Hughes & Glover). We need a holding-style central midfielder, we let a very good one go in Phil Turnbull plus Leon Scott and they need replacing with one more addition plus a goalkeeper.

TW has explained around 10 days ago that he wants 3 more, a goalkeeper, a holding centre mid and a forward (Jordan Nicholson). He has 1 of his 3 now so clearly he is going to try and add two more.


So if we're supposed to be signing a winger, that won't fix the holding midfielder problem.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 12467
Team Supported: Darlington
I expect Hughes to be employed in a deeper role next season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 5042
Team Supported: Darlington
I notice Tom Elliott is following Darlo on twitter. Could just be checking up on all his old Nuneaton team mates of course

_________________
https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupportersgroup.org/

http://buytickets.at/dfcsg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 1239
Team Supported: Darlington
My latest guess - Roberts (GK), Elliott (holding mid) Henshaw (Gillies replacement)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".

One of your guesses is definitely joining Darlo.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1029
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".

One of your guesses is definitely joining Darlo.


You need a holding playing in that midfield. If we set up 4-4-2 like it looks that we might. Then we could look something like:

-------------------------------- GK ---------------------------------

Trotman ----- Heaton ----- Galbraith ---- O'Hanlon

Thompson -- Wheatley --- Syers --------- Nicholson

--------------------- Styche ----- Ainge------------------------

From that we know that Styche and Ainge are 2 proper CF's they both want to operate in and around the box. Thompson wants to get forward 1 v 1 with the full back. Looks like Nicholson is the same. Syers likes to make later runs into the box. Wheatley is at his best when given freedom to roam and pick the ball up in pockets of space. And both Trotman and O'hanlon like to bomb on and join in attacks.

That leaves Galbraith and Heaton on the halfway line looking very exposed when we lose the ball high up the pitch. If you swap out Syers for a holding midfielder then you give an extra covering player for the CB's. Can either drop in and play like a 3rd CB or try and play sweeper in the space between CB and midfield.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 12467
Team Supported: Darlington
Replace Syers with Hughes and you won’t be far away. I expect Wheatley and Hughes to be our first choice central midfield pairing. I know Hughes has had some issues of late but the lad has played 50 times in the league and over 100 times in the National. He’s only mid twenties so he could be a big player for us - I think a few people may get a surprise.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 4065
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".


Depends who the two midfielders are. If it's Syers and Wheatley, probably not because we've seen Syers is weaker when he plays deeper. Replacing Turnbull with a more attacking-minded Syers also, naturally reduces the defensive cover, potentially making the defence more exposed. Hence the talk of a more defensive midfielder being needed.

Don't know enough about Hughes to comment on him.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Posts: 1210
Team Supported: Darlington
divas wrote:
Replace Syers with Hughes and you won’t be far away. I expect Wheatley and Hughes to be our first choice central midfield pairing. I know Hughes has had some issues of late but the lad has played 50 times in the league and over 100 times in the National. He’s only mid twenties so he could be a big player for us - I think a few people may get a surprise.


That's assuming Wheatley doesn't move on. Or Trotman. Or Heaton.....

In which case we have a team which is well over 50 per cent new next season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3998
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
So just missing a goalkeeper for now, depending on V9 Academy departures. TW seems to have got himself a squad capable of competing with the best in the league. Am actually looking forward to next season, so when can I pick up my season ticket? :thumbup:


And a centre mid to replace Turnbull.


Wheatley is still with us as far as I know today (20/6/18), so apart from GK the squad has full complement for now. :thumbup:


Wheatley isn't a holding midfielder, neither are any of our others (Syers, Hughes & Glover). We need a holding-style central midfielder, we let a very good one go in Phil Turnbull plus Leon Scott and they need replacing with one more addition plus a goalkeeper.

TW has explained around 10 days ago that he wants 3 more, a goalkeeper, a holding centre mid and a forward (Jordan Nicholson). He has 1 of his 3 now so clearly he is going to try and add two more.


So if we're supposed to be signing a winger, that won't fix the holding midfielder problem.


This move has probably came about due to the departure of Gillies, Pete.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 1239
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
Is Elliott a holding midfielder?

Why is everyone going on about replacing Turnbull with a holding midfielder? Can we not just play 2 "midfielders".

One of your guesses is definitely joining Darlo.


OK Quakerz, now that Henshall has joined, is that the one you were talking about?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20959
Team Supported: Darlington
Yep.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], tdk1 and 47 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group