Josh Gillies

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Gillies

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm

en passant wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Genuine question - where does this "he lacked heart" and "he was pea-hearted" stuff come from?

Yes he didn't charge around the pitch like a nutcase. And yes he didn't go barrelling into challenges.

But that wasn't and will never be his game. I personally think he did show plenty of "heart" but because of the type of player he is, and the style he has, that will never come across. He was our third top scorer last season and provided plenty of assists, so clearly performed well generally.

I just think at times fans criticise players for not being what we want them to be, rather than judging on the type of player he is.

It was the same thing with Turnbull, when people slagged him off for not scoring goals. That just simply wasn't his game.
I am also dismayed to find too many comments on this thread saying that Gillies failed to pull his weight. Not in my assessment. Did the job he was paid to do. Didn't see too many having a pop at Harry Kane the other night for failing to be everywhere on the pitch and making last ditch tackles. Thank heaven for the sake of the national team that he knows where he will make the biggest impact and he stuck his two chances away. And for those who like to pick up on the details of what might get their knees jerking, I am not for a moment likening Gillies to Kane in terms of ability, just the application to the job he was on the field to do.
Yeah I agree. Gillies was never going to please the supporters who love the headless chickens like Cartman or Dowson.

For me he did the job he was in the team to do. Don't know what his critics were expecting. Yes he could be inconsistent but so is Thompson, yet he doesn't get anyway near the same level of criticism.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Gillies probably went to Shields as he knows more of their squad than our own :lol:
Am starting to lose track myself - Gillies, Hunter, Turnbull, Portas, Burgess, Brown, Scott and Mills (thankfully) all gone and Pears' loan expired. No news of offers on our V9 Academy lads - which is starting to look like good news. Newcomers Ainge, Hughes and Nicholson so far, meaning our options are a bit limited. Hopefully TW has a few more irons in the fire and that includes a GK and a pacy wingman who beats his man & can stick some good balls into the box. Perhaps Caton can show us something different?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Darlogramps wrote: Yeah I agree. Gillies was never going to please the supporters who love the headless chickens like Cartman or Dowson.

For me he did the job he was in the team to do. Don't know what his critics were expecting. Yes he could be inconsistent but so is Thompson, yet he doesn't get anyway near the same level of criticism.

I would say that Thompson is more consistent than Gillies, for a start. Thompson doesn't get as much criticism for that reason - and I guess also because he's played for us for 6 years and always done well.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Yeah I agree. Gillies was never going to please the supporters who love the headless chickens like Cartman or Dowson.

I would say that Thompson is more consistent than Gillies, for a start. Thompson doesn't get as much criticism for that reason - and I guess also because he's played for us for 6 years and always done well.
I disagree. I think with Thommo there have been long periods where he was under par for us. It was only in the second half of last season he approached anywhere near his best.

I'm not trying to be critical of Thompson I hasten to add - he's an excellent player for us. By the same token, I think Gillies' contribution was also a positive one, and I think calling him "pea-hearted" is unfair.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
en passant wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Genuine question - where does this "he lacked heart" and "he was pea-hearted" stuff come from?

Yes he didn't charge around the pitch like a nutcase. And yes he didn't go barrelling into challenges.

But that wasn't and will never be his game. I personally think he did show plenty of "heart" but because of the type of player he is, and the style he has, that will never come across. He was our third top scorer last season and provided plenty of assists, so clearly performed well generally.

I just think at times fans criticise players for not being what we want them to be, rather than judging on the type of player he is.

It was the same thing with Turnbull, when people slagged him off for not scoring goals. That just simply wasn't his game.
I am also dismayed to find too many comments on this thread saying that Gillies failed to pull his weight. Not in my assessment. Did the job he was paid to do. Didn't see too many having a pop at Harry Kane the other night for failing to be everywhere on the pitch and making last ditch tackles. Thank heaven for the sake of the national team that he knows where he will make the biggest impact and he stuck his two chances away. And for those who like to pick up on the details of what might get their knees jerking, I am not for a moment likening Gillies to Kane in terms of ability, just the application to the job he was on the field to do.
Yeah I agree. Gillies was never going to please the supporters who love the headless chickens like Cartman or Dowson.

First of all I must say I was a fan of Gillies and was pleased when he signed a new contract. But, secondly, I have to agree with those who said that he never tracked back when it was needed.
To compare him with Kane and expectations of making last ditch tackles is ridiculous.. Most managers like to have their wide men track back and cover the opposition wing back.. I can't think of any manager in any division who would have a wide midfielder playing a role solely to provide the forward line. All players have a responsibility to defend, football is a team game. You don't have to be a "headless chicken" or make "last ditch tackles" to be a team player.
Gillies did go missing for spells in games especially when the pitches were not to his suiting.
As I said earlier, I liked Gillies but he did have his faults and not doing the defensive grafting side of the game was one of them.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Sorry. Double post

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm

divas wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Replacement is an 'out and out left winger' with 'electric pace'

A player like that will make our squad more balanced, as at times we've missed genuine width on the left
I mentioned Alex Henshall as a possiblity earlier in the summer who TW signed for Nuneaton. Would fit the bill.
;)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Quakerz wrote:

Its only a year ago where certain people, especially on the Facebook page, tore shreds out of Thompson, saying we should get rid etc. Generally the "know nowts" of course.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I am surprised Gillies has gone, I thought he had won Tommy over as he was a regular starter, however maybe the offer was too good to turn down.

Wonder if some of this additional money will be used to pay Caton off, I can't see Tommy wanting to keep a transfer listed player around the squad for team morale, unless we can off load him on loan but even then we will end up paying a majority of his wages.
He were on 30k a year so not surprised Tommy got rid...even though I like the lad

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm

I thought Gillies had had a quiet season until Caton found a short burst of form. He then found himself out of the team and kept his place when Caton got injured again. I thought this gave him a bit of a kick up the backside, which he himself admitted he needed. From Feb onwards I thought he'd had a very good end to the season and was much more prepared to track back, tackle to regain the ball etc.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:27 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I am surprised Gillies has gone, I thought he had won Tommy over as he was a regular starter, however maybe the offer was too good to turn down.

Wonder if some of this additional money will be used to pay Caton off, I can't see Tommy wanting to keep a transfer listed player around the squad for team morale, unless we can off load him on loan but even then we will end up paying a majority of his wages.
He were on 30k a year so not surprised Tommy got rid...even though I like the lad
Sorry Harry but I find that hard to believe.Gray was s*** with money but even he can’t have been that stupid.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:04 pm

I don't think Harry is far from the truth.

Although I will say that our players are only paid during the season which works out at around 39 weeks pay.

Sometimes when somebody hears a rumour that a player is on x amount a week, they will multiply that figure by 52 and I think that's what has happened here. The reality is that it's x amount multiplied by 39.

When Gray was given the increased budget last season (which in hindsight we could not afford) for everybody signing new contracts - well let's just say he used the fucker.

If we didn't get rid of Beck, Bartlett and Ferguson and also get fees for them we would have been fucked.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Emdubya wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Sorry Harry but I find that hard to believe.Gray was s*** with money but even he can’t have been that stupid.
I'd believe it mate and Beck were on very very close to that too..TW couldn't believe how much our players were on compared to players down south.. MG has a lot to answer for I am affraid

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Quakerz wrote:I don't think Harry is far from the truth.

Although I will say that our players are only paid during the season which works out at around 39 weeks pay.

Sometimes when somebody hears a rumour that a player is on x amount a week, they will multiply that figure by 52 and I think that's what has happened here. The reality is that it's x amount multiplied by 39.

When Gray was given the increased budget last season (which in hindsight we could not afford) for everybody signing new contracts - well let's just say he used the fucker.

If we didn't get rid of Beck, Bartlett and Ferguson and also get fees for them we would have been fucked.
Yeah Quakers that's what I couldn't believe as they are paid 39 weeks is the year..

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Gillies would be a fantastic 5-a-side player or that futsal thingy. 11-a-side not such much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Does Gillies have another job or is he a ‘professional footballer’ similar to Caton’s twitter bio...if someone is full time they are probably on full time money.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Let's just say that some of our part time players last season were on more money than some people who work full time.

Some (some, not all) of our part time players didn't actually need a day job - whether they had a full time job or not was incidental.

Part time players on a full time wage. Then add on Grays huge blue coated brigade of hangers on who all needed paying. Unlike the many club volunteers doing important work for free.

I feel like it turned into an "us and them" near the end of Gray's reign.

Time will tell on how Tommy does for us as a manager, but it is a breath of fresh air to have someone who will work to our reasonable but not stupid budget.

Certainly on the financial front Tommy has already earned his corn - getting fees for Beck, Bartlett, Ferguson, Turnbull and Gillies. Also shifting some of the bigger earners off the books as the budget was reduced. Then bringing in several more players who we can potentially develop and sell. I bet he'll be keen on a cup run too. All helping to get us hopefully nicely into the black. The manager has got to care about the £££s behind the scenes and Tommy clearly does.

How many players did the last fucknut sell for fees? How many cup runs in 5 seasons?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

I disagree. I think with Thommo there have been long periods where he was under par for us. It was only in the second half of last season he approached anywhere near his best.

I'm not trying to be critical of Thompson I hasten to add - he's an excellent player for us. By the same token, I think Gillies' contribution was also a positive one, and I think calling him "pea-hearted" is unfair.
I'm with Gramps on this. Gillies was always the first criticised when the team were playing badly. He worked harder than he was given credit for. He also rarely gave the ball away, but you don't get credit for that either. We'll do well to replace his goals and assists. I really hope its as easy as some think. As for pea-hearted, i think that comment was pea-brained.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:Let's just say that some of our part time players last season were on more money than some people who work full time.

Some (some, not all) of our part time players didn't actually need a day job - whether they had a full time job or not was incidental.

Part time players on a full time wage. Then add on Grays huge blue coated brigade of hangers on who all needed paying. Unlike the many club volunteers doing important work for free.

I feel like it turned into an "us and them" near the end of Gray's reign.

Time will tell on how Tommy does for us as a manager, but it is a breath of fresh air to have someone who will work to our reasonable but not stupid budget.

Certainly on the financial front Tommy has already earned his corn - getting fees for Beck, Bartlett, Ferguson, Turnbull and Gillies. Also shifting some of the bigger earners off the books as the budget was reduced. Then bringing in several more players who we can potentially develop and sell. I bet he'll be keen on a cup run too. All helping to get us hopefully nicely into the black. The manager has got to care about the £££s behind the scenes and Tommy clearly does.

How many players did the last fucknut sell for fees? How many cup runs in 5 seasons?
It’s very easy to agree with everything you’ve said here Quakerz. There seems to be a sense of realism in the playing and coaching staff which complements our financial position. Now to sort out the club’s long-term home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Good player on his day was Gillies, of that there’s no doubt. Decent crosser of the ball although only after cutting inside and at times had a good set piece delivery.

However you can see that Tommy is trying to make us a more athletic team. He wants pace and energy in his players to support a team that can knock it about and play at a good tempo.

Neither Turnbull or Gillies are in that mound, and as the highest earners I have no issue with them leaving.

Wish them luck, good lads and good servants but I’m now really looking forward to watching this team next season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
en passant wrote:

First of all I must say I was a fan of Gillies and was pleased when he signed a new contract. But, secondly, I have to agree with those who said that he never tracked back when it was needed.
To compare him with Kane and expectations of making last ditch tackles is ridiculous.. Most managers like to have their wide men track back and cover the opposition wing back.. I can't think of any manager in any division who would have a wide midfielder playing a role solely to provide the forward line. All players have a responsibility to defend, football is a team game. You don't have to be a "headless chicken" or make "last ditch tackles" to be a team player.
Gillies did go missing for spells in games especially when the pitches were not to his suiting.
As I said earlier, I liked Gillies but he did have his faults and not doing the defensive grafting side of the game was one of them.
I'm sorry but that's not his game. He's simply not a defensive-minded player so I'm not sure what you're expecting of him.

You're making it sound like he's refusing to do any defensive work at all, which is simply untrue. He closed down, he'd try to win the ball back, he definitely put his foot in. He just didn't charge back like a nutter, or slide in for a lost cause (which is a pre-requisite for Darlo fans' recognition these days). Not because he won't do defensive work, but because it's not the player he is.

So if I'm honest, I think you're inventing things to fit your argument. I also don't understand your criticism of en passant's Kane comparison - the comparison of Kane not being expected to do defensive work is a perfectly fair one to me. You can't criticise a player for not doing something if that's not his role. And I don't think we should be expecting Gillies to be a defensive workhorse.

Gillies is an attacking creative player, good with ball at feet, good at set pieces, and aimed to set up the strikers more. That's why we got a fair return of goals and assists from him (his main function in the team). He wasn't the type of player to offer defensive cover in the way David Ferguson would have done on the left of midfield.

Being brutally honest, I don't think playing out wide suited Gillies, for the reasons I've suggested above. I think he'd have been better more centrally, or playing off Styche. That only ever happened fleetingly.

To me, that's the reason Saint Tommy has got rid - Gillies simply wasn't the type of player he wanted. Saint Tommy wants players who will move the ball quicker, who are a bit more balanced in that they're more solid defensively.

piggy

Post by piggy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:01 am

Interested to read about the money some of our squad were rumoured to be on, where are people getting this information?

I thought most non league/part time players were on ten month contracts (off May/June) but I could be wrong. As far as I know all of our players have a main full time job outside of Darlo. I just cant fathom Gilles earning 30K a year!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 am

Yes, no player would have been on 30k as suggested - but it wouldn't surprise me if one or two were on the equivalent of 30k pro rata on a 39 week contract - ie £600 a week during the contract, which would work out at 23.4k.

It's not beyond question when Gray squeezed a 334k playing budget out of us. (that was just for players and did not include his staff budget) You could have up to 10 players on 23k and still have at least 100k left over to share between your £100/200/300 a week players :shock:

Think about it, someone on £200-£300 a week - a fair pay for a part time 2nd job I'm sure most would agree! - only works out at 7.8k-11.7k over 39 weeks. You could fit in a minimum of another 10 of those into the squad with Gray's luxurious budget!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 am

piggy wrote:As far as I know all of our players have a main full time job outside of Darlo. I just cant fathom Gilles earning 30K a year!
As far as I am aware Gillies, Caton, Beck & Ferguson categorise(d) themselves as professional footballers and I don’t recall them being reported as having other jobs? If they don’t have other jobs then common sense says they were being paid enough to cover them.

James Caton’s current bio on Twitter ‘Professional Footballer’ - but then he is probs the last on on the MG gravy train now after Gillies has left.

Remember last summer expectation was Beck would move full time then he signs a new contract...wonder what convinced him to stay?

piggy

Post by piggy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:22 am

lo36789 wrote:
piggy wrote:As far as I know all of our players have a main full time job outside of Darlo. I just cant fathom Gilles earning 30K a year!
As far as I am aware Gillies, Caton, Beck & Ferguson categorise(d) themselves as professional footballers and I don’t recall them being reported as having other jobs? If they don’t have other jobs then common sense says they were being paid enough to cover them.

James Caton’s current bio on Twitter ‘Professional Footballer’ - but then he is probs the last on on the MG gravy train now after Gillies has left.

Remember last summer expectation was Beck would move full time then he signs a new contract...wonder what convinced him to stay?
Ferguson was working as a bin man. I read he quit when going FT at York. Gilles I think sells bathrooms in Boldon. Not sure on Caton, I imagine he's on a decent wedge though and hence the reason he's still with us....

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:56 am

Darlogramps wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
en passant wrote:

I'm sorry but that's not his game. He's simply not a defensive-minded player so I'm not sure what you're expecting of him.

You're making it sound like he's refusing to do any defensive work at all, which is simply untrue. He closed down, he'd try to win the ball back, he definitely put his foot in. He just didn't charge back like a nutter, or slide in for a lost cause (which is a pre-requisite for Darlo fans' recognition these days). Not because he won't do defensive work, but because it's not the player he is.

So if I'm honest, I think you're inventing things to fit your argument. I also don't understand your criticism of en passant's Kane comparison - the comparison of Kane not being expected to do defensive work is a perfectly fair one to me. You can't criticise a player for not doing something if that's not his role. And I don't think we should be expecting Gillies to be a defensive workhorse.

Gillies is an attacking creative player, good with ball at feet, good at set pieces, and aimed to set up the strikers more. That's why we got a fair return of goals and assists from him (his main function in the team). He wasn't the type of player to offer defensive cover in the way David Ferguson would have done on the left of midfield.

Being brutally honest, I don't think playing out wide suited Gillies, for the reasons I've suggested above. I think he'd have been better more centrally, or playing off Styche. That only ever happened fleetingly.

To me, that's the reason Saint Tommy has got rid - Gillies simply wasn't the type of player he wanted. Saint Tommy wants players who will move the ball quicker, who are a bit more balanced in that they're more solid defensively.

You seem to twist some of what I have said to suit your arguement., For a star,t how on earth do you get that I am making out that he doesn't defend at all, and what am I inventing ?..
. What I am saying is that midfield players are expected to track back and help the defence out. TW likes his fullbacks to get forward and overlap, in these situations the side midfielder must help to cover the fullbacks position if the fullbacks has overlapped. Something Gillies did but not often enough in my opinion.
It doesn't matter if playing out wide never suited Gillies, that was the position he was given and expected to play in.. I bet you that at South Shields he is given a similar role.
The reason for my criticism of en passants comment was similar to your criticism of those who said that Turnbull didn't score enough goals.. in other words they play a completely different role. Kane is an out and out goal scoring centre forward, Gillies is a midfielder. You can't compare the two.
Finally, your use of the term "Saint Tommy" itwice n your last paragraph shows how childish you can be at times.
Just my opinion like.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 am

Darlogramps wrote: To me, that's the reason Saint Tommy has got rid - Gillies simply wasn't the type of player he wanted. Saint Tommy wants players who will move the ball quicker, who are a bit more balanced in that they're more solid defensively.
It really grips your shitt that people talk Tommy up, doesn't it? People just want him to do well, that's all.

Looks like yet another transfer fee in the kitty for Heaton, thanks to the transfer master.

PS it's Sir Tommy, not Saint Tommy.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am

Quakerz wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: To me, that's the reason Saint Tommy has got rid - Gillies simply wasn't the type of player he wanted. Saint Tommy wants players who will move the ball quicker, who are a bit more balanced in that they're more solid defensively.
It really grips your shitt that people talk Tommy up, doesn't it? People just want him to do well, that's all.

Looks like yet another transfer fee in the kitty for Heaton, thanks to the transfer master.

PS it's Sir Tommy, not Saint Tommy.
I think people are over-egging his achievements yes. I actually quite like TW and his down to earth approach, although I am sceptical about his managerial ability.

What I can't get away with is some of the OTT comments from fans about his "achievements". You'd think he'd guided us to three promotions or something...

But apparently daring to suggest he hasn't achieved anything yet is akin to heresy. The way people lose their shitt (as you've demonstrated) when I suggest he may not be all amazing and wonderful as a manager is quite something.

Of course Q, it's quite the about turn from you, given your doubts about him earlier in the year. Nothing like a good flip flop.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am

I agree. I like TW and the way he comes across but he has actually achieved very little yet, although I hope he proves his worth with a great season. Let’s be honest, it’s not that difficult to move players on when we receive bids of £30k+ And now even possibly £75k.

I personally am a touch worried that the whole nuclues of our side has basically gone, most of them being 110% committed north east based lads who would have died for the club. Ok, the jury,s out on their replacements and we will have to wait and see, but could start the season with only two local players.

If you had said a few months ago that we would lose Brown, Turnbull, Hunter, Portas, Heaton, Scott, Gillies, Pears, Mars, etc etc all at the same time, I think we would have all panicked.

It’s quite a task to replace so many players with big hearts and love of the club all at the same time in my opinion, but let’s wait and see. Some of the new players seem to have good pedigrees for sure but equally some seem a bit of a gamble to me. Looks like we also need a big solid centre half on top now. No doubt from the midlands again !

Certainly interesting times, and if it works then we all love a winning team, but just feel like the clubs lost a bit of its North East soul!

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am

Discounting Heaton though only Turnball and Gillies would be classed as regular starters for the last few months.

Im not massively concerned with player turnaround based on that, and at face value we have brought in players a level above what we have let go.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk