Henshall replaces Gillies

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Henshall replaces Gillies

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Official.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Henshaw replaces Gillies

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Here's the article from the official sight, sounds like a great signing, well done Tommy.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/ale ... r-quakers/
Last edited by Darlo_Pete on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quaker4life

Re: Henshall replaces Gillies

Post by quaker4life » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Never heard of him.

My one concern though is he's already a bit of a journey man for 24 year old, if I've read it correctly we are his 8th different club.

Regardless it is only really possible to judge him on what he does for us on the pitch, welcome to the club Alex!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 pm

If he played for Man City for 4 years and Man Utd and Liverpool were after him, then I think it's fair to say he's more than a decent prospect for us. Yes he's moved plenty of times, but so did Styche before he joined us. Sounds like a more a decent improvement on Gillies.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Have we sorted a coach up from the Black Country for all these players lol..

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:If he played for Man City for 4 years and Man Utd and Liverpool were after him, then I think it's fair to say he's more than a decent prospect for us. Yes he's moved plenty of times, but so did Styche before he joined us. Sounds like a more a decent improvement on Gillies.
I remember watching him at City in the youth teams but it was a few years ago.

Had a few clubs but obviously the boss thinks he can get him back on track and I trust him to do so.

As you say no mug and its his last chance, could turn out great for us and for him.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Looks like a decent day all round for us, Tommy getting in all of his own players, only thing from my point of view is that Tommy doesn’t have the local knowledge of players up here, however it seems like our competition has increased for local talent with South Shields, Spendy etc do maybe going further afield isn’t a bad thing for us right now.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Going to sit on the fence with this one. People are saying we have made a good signing, not sure how they can pass judgement on this as he has only made 37 appearances in 5 years.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:09 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Looks like a decent day all round for us, Tommy getting in all of his own players, only thing from my point of view is that Tommy doesn’t have the local knowledge of players up here, however it seems like our competition has increased for local talent with South Shields, Spendy etc do maybe going further afield isn’t a bad thing for us right now.
Tommy knows midlands based players and to be honest they are better value for money it seems, because it's a much bigger and more competitive pool. Obviously you have to weigh travelling into the equation which may mean we miss some targets.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 pm

quaker4life wrote:Never heard of him.

My one concern though is he's already a bit of a journey man for 24 year old, if I've read it correctly we are his 8th different club.

Regardless it is only really possible to judge him on what he does for us on the pitch, welcome to the club Alex!
To be honest I wouldn't read too much into the amount of clubs that he's had.

He's been at Man City for a couple of years then Ipswich for a couple of years, and some of his other clubs that he played for were loans from Man City/Ipswich. Fringe players do tend to get loaned out a bit until they find their level.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Caton?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:40 pm

when do we change our name to NUNLINGTON FC lol!!!!!!!!!!!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:If he played for Man City for 4 years and Man Utd and Liverpool were after him, then I think it's fair to say he's more than a decent prospect for us. Yes he's moved plenty of times, but so did Styche before he joined us. Sounds like a more a decent improvement on Gillies.
How you can say he's a decent improvement on Gillies I have no idea. He's yet to have a full season anywhere.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 pm

quakerste wrote:Going to sit on the fence with this one. People are saying we have made a good signing, not sure how they can pass judgement on this as he has only made 37 appearances in 5 years.
My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 pm

quakerste wrote:Going to sit on the fence with this one. People are saying we have made a good signing, not sure how they can pass judgement on this as he has only made 37 appearances in 5 years.
Agreed and in fact the Jury is out on all TW's Summer signings. We all have views on the strengths and weaknesses of the players that have left, but don't really, if we are honest, have a clue about any of the new guys do we?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 pm

No we know nothing about Ainge and the 37 goals he scored in 9 months of 2017.

Jordan Nicholson is clearly a good player, he scored the winner when Nuneaton beat us in our 2nd match at BM. Had a good game too.

Hughes has played nearly 100 times in L2 so surely must have something about him.

Henshall to be fair, don't know much

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 am

Just a thought, but isn't Nuneaton's ground up for sale? Might be easier if we buy it and move down :lol:
Should be a great asset to the club if he sticks in, welcome Alex! :wave: Nice job, TW :clap:

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 am

Quakerz wrote:No we know nothing about Ainge and the 37 goals he scored in 9 months of 2017.

Jordan Nicholson is clearly a good player, he scored the winner when Nuneaton beat us in our 2nd match at BM. Had a good game too.

Hughes has played nearly 100 times in L2 so surely must have something about him.

Quakerz fair comment. What I really meant was let's judge the new signings in a Darlo shirt, rather than based on their performance at previous clubs! Will be really interesting to see how TW gets the best out of the 2 Strikers if they both play together as he has indicated they will?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:38 pm

bga wrote:
Quakerz wrote:No we know nothing about Ainge and the 37 goals he scored in 9 months of 2017.

Quakerz fair comment. What I really meant was let's judge the new signings in a Darlo shirt, rather than based on their performance at previous clubs!
Stop being so sensible. Don't you know we're meant to proclaim every new signing as being the greatest, and say they'll undoubtedly improve our squad.

Fact is we've no idea how well any of the new players will do.

Ainge could be prolific, or his injury problems of last season might plague him.
Hughes might be a midfield general or a complete lightweight. Henshall might terrify defences or sink without trace.

Fact is we don't know either way, so I do enjoy it when people need to judge a signing before they've played for us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:01 pm

To be fair I think there is a difference between this
bga wrote:but don't really, if we are honest, have a clue about any of the new guys do we?
And we don’t know how they will play for us. As bga admitted himself he meant the latter and it is a fair assessment.

“We don’t know how he new players will do” well I raise you “we don’t know how our retained players will do” and “we don’t know how the players who left would have done.”

It’s all guess work really, but that is perhaps the point you are making - look at how some of our retained players performed at start of last season - but at least being positive about it is a happier outlook.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:

Quakerz fair comment. What I really meant was let's judge the new signings in a Darlo shirt, rather than based on their performance at previous clubs!
Stop being so sensible. Don't you know we're meant to proclaim every new signing as being the greatest, and say they'll undoubtedly improve our squad.

Fact is we've no idea how well any of the new players will do.

Ainge could be prolific, or his injury problems of last season might plague him.
Hughes might be a midfield general or a complete lightweight. Henshall might terrify defences or sink without trace.

Fact is we don't know either way, so I do enjoy it when people need to judge a signing before they've played for us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
:thumbup: There is also that slight issue of a Keeper for next season isn't there, as things stand we will be letting in a hell of a lot of goals!

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:To be fair I think there is a difference between this
bga wrote:but don't really, if we are honest, have a clue about any of the new guys do we?
And we don’t know how they will play for us. As bga admitted himself he meant the latter and it is a fair assessment.

“We don’t know how he new players will do” well I raise you “we don’t know how our retained players will do” and “we don’t know how the players who left would have done.”

It’s all guess work really, but that is perhaps the point you are making - look at how some of our retained players performed at start of last season - but at least being positive about it is a happier outlook.
You are right the slate is wiped clean from the first league game at the beginning of August so let's wait and see!