Dave Mills

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Dave Mills

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:21 pm

I see he is on the board at Spendmore...

Allan Quatermain

Re: Dave Mills

Post by Allan Quatermain » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I see he is on the board at Spendmore...
Yes, along with Ian Walker who was previously with Durham. Looks like Brad is surrounding himself with footballing people to move the club forward. Also got a solicitor on the new board although I'm not sure of her background and whether she has any football experience.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:I see he is on the board at Spendmore...
Yes, along with Ian Walker who was previously with Durham. Looks like Brad is surrounding himself with footballing people to move the club forward. Also got a solicitor on the new board although I'm not sure of her background and whether she has any football experience.
Is Dave Mills "football people"?

I thought he was a very well thought of volunteer who stepped down for the good of his health? In fact I assumed the reason he suffered was because (reading between the lines) he wasn't one of the much spoken about "football people" that Gray harped on about.

A shame a role couldn't be found for him here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:42 pm

In September last year Spennymoor announced they were actively looking to welcome new "investors" onto the board of the club. They said "it was important for the club’s future that its dependency on Mr Groves is reduced as much as possible".

Does this mean that these are the new investors on the board who are to plough in the extra cash to reduce the reliance on Brad Groves following his "seven-figure personal investment"?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:50 am

Slightly disappointing that a Darlo fan with time on his hands chooses to help out a club that doesn’t need the help as much as we do.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 am

loan_star wrote:Slightly disappointing that a Darlo fan with time on his hands chooses to help out a club that doesn’t need the help as much as we do.
We maybe didn't ask him to return. Sp£nnymore did and if their offer looks stress free then why not take it to maintain his interest in football.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
loan_star wrote:Slightly disappointing that a Darlo fan with time on his hands chooses to help out a club that doesn’t need the help as much as we do.
We maybe didn't ask him to return. Sp£nnymore did and if their offer looks stress free then why not take it to maintain his interest in football.
I can understand why he stepped down but if his health has improved for him to be involved at that level at a football club then theres no reason why he couldn't offer his services instead of waiting to be asked.
I just can't understand why a Darlo fan would give his time up for another local club in the same division.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:14 pm

Neither can I.

But what went on behind the scenes at Darlo which affected his health so badly that he had to leave?

As others have said, he seems to have been fit enough to work elsewhere since.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:23 pm

loan_star wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
I can understand why he stepped down but if his health has improved for him to be involved at that level at a football club then theres no reason why he couldn't offer his services instead of waiting to be asked.
I just can't understand why a Darlo fan would give his time up for another local club in the same division.
At that time around Feb 2016, the club was in a precarious position.
We had gone nearly 3 months without a home game and cash flow problems would have been critical. No doubt this had a significant effect upon his health. I believe we owe him a big of gratitude for steering the club through those troubled times and wish him all the best at Spennymoor.

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Quakerz wrote:Neither can I.

But what went on behind the scenes at Darlo which affected his health so badly that he had to leave?

As others have said, he seems to have been fit enough to work elsewhere since.

Nothing like running out of cash.... these football people.

boorman

Post by boorman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:04 pm

He used to teach me at secondary school - he's a very good man. His love for the club was absolutely genuine. There's no doubt in my mind that something pretty bad must have happened to him at Darlo for him to make the decision to leave and then work elsewhere. He wouldn't have done this lightly.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Wonder how he'll handle the derby days... Brad demands total loyalty once the Spenny vibe has drawn you in.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:46 pm

He'll be fine. Spendymore isn't a derby.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:02 pm

I get the sentiment quakerz but surely a derby match normally refers to games involving rival teams in close geographical proximity. And its not very far to spendy even though they always used to spend most of their time many leagues below us until they found someone with very deep pockets.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:31 pm

No, Spennymoor isn't a derby.

Hartlepool is a derby. Even though it's been about 12 years since we played them, I want to beat them more ferociously than any other team. When we lost to Hartlepool last time, the 3-0 at the Arena, I was miserable as sin for the next 48 hours.

Spennymoor has neither the history, rivalry or passion of a Hartlepool-Darlo game. We are close geographically but it's not a derby.

This supposed rivalry means far more to Spennymoor than it is does to us.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
I suppose helping a multi-millionaire spend his 7 figure investment on a football club could be a quite enjoyable role, rather than being stressful.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:47 pm

i clocked him once in newton aycliffe at a q8 store , he was wearing the darlo tie ...on close inspection the Sunderland crew had got to him.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I get the sentiment quakerz but surely a derby match normally refers to games involving rival teams in close geographical proximity. And its not very far to spendy even though they always used to spend most of their time many leagues below us until they found someone with very deep pockets.
Did they find someone with deep pockets? Who knew? :shock: :o

I've spoken to a few Spendy fans over the last few seasons and they all thought they were running sustainably. No, seriously.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:51 pm

he was wearing a ....dare i say ...football motiff

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:No, Spennymoor isn't a derby.

Hartlepool is a derby. Even though it's been about 12 years since we played them, I want to beat them more ferociously than any other team. When we lost to Hartlepool last time, the 3-0 at the Arena, I was miserable as sin for the next 48 hours.

Spennymoor has neither the history, rivalry or passion of a Hartlepool-Darlo game. We are close geographically but it's not a derby.

This supposed rivalry means far more to Spennymoor than it is does to us.
Spenny's derby is with Bishop Auckland. They need to fuck off back to that level and take their 7 figure investment with them.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Spendy have admitted that they haven't been run in a self-sufficient way despite the idiots who are in denial about how the club is financed. In the press release about the new board it says: "We also need to reduce our reliance on the chief executive (Bradley Groves), who has previously outlined the necessity for us to become more self-sufficient."

Groves was hoping to get people with substantial cash to share his dream and share the financial burden. Doesn't look like that has happened so far.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:53 am

They are announcing there BIG summer signings this morning.. Here comes the bum boys...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:They are announcing there BIG summer signings this morning.. Here comes the bum boys...

Sam Russell will be one of them and they have indicated some of the signings are from leagues well above ours so must be paying big bucks in wages.Self sustainable.....don't believe that for one minute.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 am

Can we please stop this shite about Spendymoor not being self sustaining They are.
SPEN HAS TOLD US THEY ARE. :shock:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 am

#announcementsunday

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:38 am

Is one of them a 36 year old former Toon striker?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:58 am

Callum Williams from the Toon u23 side.. 1 down 6 to go, God I'm so excited if they announce Russell I think i might let out a little wee

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Kris Thackeray from Gzira United in Malta... Season ticket sales will gan through the roof now mind..

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:12 pm

We’ve recruited very well on paper this summer, we’ve now got a smaller squad that looks lean, with a good mix of experience and hungry young players that will want to impress and improve. And most importantly, we’re not going to be overspending either or spending an individuals money on a playing staff, we’re spending money that we generate ourselves.

And we’ve got the likes of Burn, Wheatley, Trotman etc that will likely be moved on for good money at some point as well. Chucking money at 30 something players can work, but it can also be an expensive exercise in which an older player past his best gets paid a big wage and delivers nothing.

I’m excited about what we’re doing, what others do shouldn’t concern us that much.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Gow9900 wrote:We’ve recruited very well on paper this summer, we’ve now got a smaller squad that looks lean, with a good mix of experience and hungry young players that will want to impress and improve. And most importantly, we’re not going to be overspending either or spending an individuals money on a playing staff, we’re spending money that we generate ourselves.

And we’ve got the likes of Burn, Wheatley, Trotman etc that will likely be moved on for good money at some point as well. Chucking money at 30 something players can work, but it can also be an expensive exercise in which an older player past his best gets paid a big wage and delivers nothing.

I’m excited about what we’re doing, what others do shouldn’t concern us that much.
I know Gow just taking the Wee Wee a bit as its funny.. Im totally happy with our business... Can't wait for the season to start now...