Fixture Release

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TFDM
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fixture Release

Post by TFDM » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:44 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Never understood why they cram so many games into the first few weeks of the season. Seven in 23 days I make it.
I always assumed it was to take a bit of pressure off ahead of the inevitable postponements once the weather turns, gramps.
Exactly that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:43 pm

But there's no reason they couldn't move one of the August midweeks into the first couple of weeks in September for example.

After August we only have two midweek fixtures all season, with one of those being a Bank Holiday (excluding the Xmas period).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 pm

JE93 wrote:Start at home to Curzon Ashton then go away to Spennymoor the following Tuesday night.

August
Saturday 4 August 2018 - Darlington vs Curzon Ashton
Tuesday 7 August 2018 - Spennymoor Town vs Darlington
Saturday 11 August 2018 - Brackley Town vs Darlington
Wednesday 15 August 2018 - Darlington vs Blyth Spartans
Saturday 18 August 2018 - Kidderminster Harriers vs Darlington
Saturday 25 August 2018 - Darlington vs Altrincham
Monday 27 August 2018 - Ashton United vs Darlington

September
Saturday 1 September 2018 - Darlington vs Alfreton Town
Saturday 8 September 2018 - Darlington vs AFC Telford United
Saturday 15 September 2018 - Southport vs Darlington
Saturday 29 September 2018 - Darlington vs Stockport County

October
Saturday 13 October 2018 - FC United Of Manchester vs Darlington
Saturday 20 October 2018 - Darlington vs Boston United
Saturday 27 October 2018 - Leamington vs Darlington
Tuesday 30 October 2018 - Bradford Park Avenue vs Darlington

November
Saturday 3 November 2018 - Darlington vs Guiseley
Saturday 10 November 2018 - Chorley vs Darlington
Saturday 17 November 2018 - Darlington vs Hereford

December
Saturday 1 December 2018 - Chester vs Darlington
Saturday 8 December 2018 - Darlington vs Nuneaton Borough
Saturday 22 December 2018 - Altrincham vs Darlington
Wednesday 26 December 2018 - Darlington vs York City
Saturday 29 December 2018 - Darlington vs Ashton United

January
Tuesday 1 January 2019 - York City vs Darlington
Saturday 5 January 2019 - Darlington vs Kidderminster Harriers
Saturday 12 January 2019 - Alfreton Town vs Darlington
Saturday 19 January 2019 - Darlington vs Spennymoor Town
Saturday 26 January 2019 - Curzon Ashton vs Darlington

February
Saturday 2 February 2019 - Darlington vs Brackley Town
Saturday 9 February 2019 - Blyth Spartans vs Darlington
Saturday 16 February 2019 - Darlington vs Southport
Saturday 23 February 2019 - AFC Telford United vs Darlington

March
Saturday 2 March 2019 - Darlington vs Chorley
Saturday 9 March 2019 - Hereford vs Darlington
Saturday 16 March 2019 - Darlington vs Chester
Saturday 23 March 2019 - Nuneaton Borough vs Darlington
Saturday 30 March 2019 - Stockport County vs Darlington

April
Saturday 6 April 2019 - Darlington vs FC United Of Manchester
Saturday 13 April 2019 - Boston United vs Darlington
Saturday 20 April 2019 - Darlington vs Bradford Park Avenue
Monday 22 April 2019 - Guiseley vs Darlington
Saturday 27 April 2019 - Darlington vs Leamington
Unusual that August Bank Holiday and Easter Monday games are different.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
If you mean we play different teams on the Sat and Mon of each of those bank hols, it was the same last season and the season before that. I thought it was just Xmas/NY bank hols where playing the same team home and away was traditional.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:01 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:
If you mean we play different teams on the Sat and Mon of each of those bank hols, it was the same last season and the season before that. I thought it was just Xmas/NY bank hols where playing the same team home and away was traditional.
Maybe the Spennymoor games were just coincidental because the Saturday games were different

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Never understood why they cram so many games into the first few weeks of the season. Seven in 23 days I make it.
Not as much as previous seasons by the looks of it. Last couple of years we have had 2 additional mid-weekers scheduled in September, none this time around.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:
Maybe the Spennymoor games were just coincidental because the Saturday games were different
Nope you are right, definite change this season.

Season 16/17 - FC Utd (August and April Bank Holiday) & Halifax (Boxing Day/New Years Day Bank Hols)

Season 17/18 - Spennymoor Town (August and April Bank Holiday - although April was called off due to waterlogged pitch) & Harrogate Town (Boxing Day/New Years Day Bank Hols)

Season 18/19 - Ashton Utd (August BH Away), Guiseley (April BH Away) & York City (Boxing Day/New Years Day Bank Hols)

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 am

biccynana wrote:
I always assumed it was to take a bit of pressure off ahead of the inevitable postponements once the weather turns, gramps.
Don't forget cup games :!:

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
biccynana wrote:
What are they ?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:00 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Cup games? Don't be silly.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:08 am

banktopp wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
biccynana wrote:
What are they ?
Games we usually lose!!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:
Nope you are right, definite change this season.

Season 16/17 - FC Utd (August and April Bank Holiday) & Halifax (Boxing Day/New Years Day Bank Hols)

Season 17/18 - Spennymoor Town (August and April Bank Holiday - although April was called off due to waterlogged pitch) & Harrogate Town (Boxing Day/New Years Day Bank Hols)

Season 18/19 - Ashton Utd (August BH Away), Guiseley (April BH Away) & York City (Boxing Day/New Years Day Bank Hols)
Also an extra fixture between Christmas and New Year this season, compared to last?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:15 pm

tbf people have whinged in the opposite direction after last season. Asking why more midweek games aren't played at the start of the season to avoid back logs at the end.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:49 pm

lo36789 wrote:
tbf people have whinged in the opposite direction after last season. Asking why more midweek games aren't played at the start of the season to avoid back logs at the end.
They can't in this league, given it's always packed towards the top end.

I'm not whinging either way - just pointing out that instead of playing seven games in 23 days (which we'd all agree is fairly intense), then having one midweek game in eight months, you could quite easily move one of the August midweek games into September before the cup competitions start.

Plus as DarloFan97 points out, it was two games a week through until mid-September last year (with the exception of one week), so anyone complaining that more games weren't played at the start of the season doesn't really know what they're talking about. They'd only have been able to fit in one extra game before the cup competitions started.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Also seems a shame to 'cram' games into August, when people may well be on holiday, rather than September, when those with school age kids certainly won't. Pitches should not be unplayable in September.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Not saying it’s right or wrong but I thing the motivation is to avoid back log at the end of the season.

I mean strictly speaking all they have done is schedule two midweek games during the first two weeks of the season. The rest are Saturdays / Bank holiday.

I am not really sure it’s extreme fixture cramming when looked at like that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 pm

lo36789 wrote:Not saying it’s right or wrong but I thing the motivation is to avoid back log at the end of the season.

I mean strictly speaking all they have done is schedule two midweek games during the first two weeks of the season. The rest are Saturdays / Bank holiday.

I am not really sure it’s extreme fixture cramming when looked at like that.
I haven't called it "extreme fixture cramming." No one has. Not sure why you've decided to use that phrase.

I've said it's seven games in 23 days (which it is). If we had that at any other point in the season we'd be calling it a busy period.

Making the first month so busy seems unnecessary when you could a spread a couple of the games across the next couple of months without any bother whatsoever. That's all I'm saying.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:17 am

By putting more fixtures in at the start of the season, it means that there are virtually no midweek games for the remainder of the season, which helps part time players and fans travel to away games.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:37 am

Leagues further down the pyramid (like the Wearside) who have teams without floodlights traditionally have a heavy August schedule to take advantage of the light nights. At that level, one thing it does highlight - the extra importance of "hitting the ground running". No time to allow a team to gel -a poor start and you can almost be out of the title race by September

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:Leagues further down the pyramid (like the Wearside) who have teams without floodlights traditionally have a heavy August schedule to take advantage of the light nights. At that level, one thing it does highlight - the extra importance of "hitting the ground running". No time to allow a team to gel -a poor start and you can almost be out of the title race by September
Didn't hinder Salford last season, when they lost their first game of the season to us. But I tend to agree, with what you say.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:By putting more fixtures in at the start of the season, it means that there are virtually no midweek games for the remainder of the season, which helps part time players and fans travel to away games.
What you say of course is nonsense, because there are the same number of midweek games, its just the spread of them that is different. This way they are condensed into the start of the season.

A play or fan travelling to a midweek away game in say Kidderminster has the same problems regarding time off worl whether game is midweek in August or midweek in February

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm a part time fan and August or February, it makes no difference to my travel to games! And this year I'm hoping to get to Curzon for the first time ever.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:31 pm

spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:By putting more fixtures in at the start of the season, it means that there are virtually no midweek games for the remainder of the season, which helps part time players and fans travel to away games.
What you say of course is nonsense, because there are the same number of midweek games, its just the spread of them that is different. This way they are condensed into the start of the season.

A play or fan travelling to a midweek away game in say Kidderminster has the same problems regarding time off worl whether game is midweek in August or midweek in February

I know when I would prefer to travel though

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm

More chance of it being called off in Feb rather than August/September, which could waste everyone's time.

The league plan it quite well in all honesty, could make a few little changes but generally the fixtures are well organised.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:04 pm

When there's no-one on the tracks?!!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:29 am

I assumed the theory was, that by loading the midweek fixtures in the, hopefully, fine weather, the midweeks later in the season were free to accomodate re-arranged fixtures. :roll:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks Joe, for bringing some common sense to this thread.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Nigel Batches Beard wrote:Leagues further down the pyramid (like the Wearside) who have teams without floodlights traditionally have a heavy August schedule to take advantage of the light nights. At that level, one thing it does highlight - the extra importance of "hitting the ground running". No time to allow a team to gel -a poor start and you can almost be out of the title race by September
Didn't hinder Salford last season, when they lost their first game of the season to us. But I tend to agree, with what you say.
one game is either here nor there - but seven in the first month can make or break a teams season before its hardly begun

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:30 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:When there's no-one on the tracks?!!
Theres always someone on the tracks

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
one game is either here nor there - but seven in the first month can make or break a teams season before its hardly begun
It's the same for all the teams, so hopefully we'll not suffer any bad injuries or suspensions over this hectic period.