TW Interview

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

TW Interview

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

Interesting interview with TW up on the website, with Kev asking pressing questions. Bit disappointed to hear that TW feels as though he's done in the transfer market, as we are looking a bit light in the centre of midfield. Haven't really replaced Phil Turnbull.

olrad

Re: TW Interview

Post by olrad » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:08 am

Hughes is a very good replacement.....and may prove to be an improvement.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:15 am

Hughes is a direct replacement for Turnbull. From what I've seen of Hughes in pre season he looks like he could be a very shrewd signing, only thing I would worry about would be his fitness levels but hopefully as time goes on that should improve.

He will be the holding midfielder giving Wheatley an opportunity to get forward, pretty much the same set up as when he played alongside Turnbull.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 am

I see what you're saying, however Hughes was signed well before we let Turnbull depart. TW has been working on trying to sign another centre midfielder since but has missed out on his target.

Also, if TW decides to retain this 4-3-3 shape that we've seen this pre-season then we only have Glover (who is 17) as back-up. The only way I see an alternative is if Nicholson is used as the 3rd centre mid as we saw against Sunderland in the first half with Henshall, Saunders and (dare I say it) Caton as back-up to the front 3.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am

Darlofan97 wrote:I see what you're saying, however Hughes was signed well before we let Turnbull depart. TW has been working on trying to sign another centre midfielder since but has missed out on his target.

Also, if TW decides to retain this 4-3-3 shape that we've seen this pre-season then we only have Glover (who is 17) as back-up. The only way I see an alternative is if Nicholson is used as the 3rd centre mid as we saw against Sunderland in the first half with Henshall, Saunders and (dare I say it) Caton as back-up to the front 3.
Perhaps Wright has since had another look at Hughes and decided he's the best available option for the role.

No point signing someone for the sake of it if he's happy that Hughes and Wheatley give him what he wants, and like you say we have others in Glover, Nicholson, Syers and even Galbraith who can offer cover in the short term.

I'm sure Wright will continue to keep an eye out for players who will improve our team but we need to kick the mentality (which Wright seems to have done) that we need tried and tested back-up in every position all of the time.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Interesting interview with TW up on the website, with Kev asking pressing questions. Bit disappointed to hear that TW feels as though he's done in the transfer market, as we are looking a bit light in the centre of midfield. Haven't really replaced Phil Turnbull.
I think Hughes was brought in to do Turnbull's job in any case. Once we brought him in that's why we then accepted South Shields' offer. Obviously only time will if he is an upgrade.

People are also over egging how good Turnbull was. The crab has gone to the seaside.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:33 am

Pre-season seems to have been a bit different season. There doesn't appear to have been an endless string of trialists coming and going. I think Tommy wants to concentrate on systems and on working with players who he knows are going to be there all season. I've always felt having a load of trialists might lead to a handful of signings but can get in the way of working with players who you've signed and getting them ready for the season ahead.

Also get the impression that at some point over the season we'll dip into the loan market for a player or two. Since Tommy's arrived we've certainly made more use of it. Also playing Boro this weekend will give us a chance to look at some of their players and maybe bookmark one or two for the future.

I think having Liddle at Boro may help a little bit as well and potentially have opened up a few options for us next season. Also I believe Tony Pulis would rather see youngsters playing at our level rather than endless u23 games which lack a bit of cut and thrust.

There is a benefit to clubs like Boro sending a player out locally as well which we can lean into. Players can concentrate on playing football rather than a whole host of other things which can effect them when they go on loan at a club a fair distance away. The other thing clubs like Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle will like is their kids getting first team football but still be having the majority of his training supervised by them during the week.

We’ll almost certainly loan someone over the season to cover any gaps. Like Spyman says its pointless paying a wage for a player who could potentially sit in the wings all season and not kick a ball.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 am

TW knows what players are available and if there is nobody suitable at the right price, then we will go with what we've got. I agree with Kev in that the larger local clubs will be keen to allow players to come on loan to us after the successful loan of Pears last season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:06 am

Darlofan97 wrote:I see what you're saying, however Hughes was signed well before we let Turnbull depart. TW has been working on trying to sign another centre midfielder since but has missed out on his target.

Don't see Caton figuring at all for us, unless there is a total injury crisis. He was there on Thursday for the squad photo and training, but then seen to spend his time doing sprints by himself and had no interaction with the rest of the squad. He cut a forlorn and shunned figure. :thumbdown:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am

I don’t think Caton was allowed in the team photo.
I think making him train on his own in a public training session was a bit uncalled for to be honest. Public humiliation does neither the player or the man who made that decision any favours at all.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Good interview from Tommy and I think the idea of an open training session was good. Nice to get players and fans mixing and giving us that kind of access.

Wasn't surprised to hear him say that we are likely done in terms of summer transfers. Although I wonder if that means that Bancroft will be staying as an emergency goal keeper.

Hope we now start to see the team and formation that we might be seeing come the 4th August v Curzon. At the minute I think mine would look like:

---------------------------- Maddison ------------------------------

Trotman ------------ Burn -------- Galbraith ----------- O'Hanlon

Thompson -------- Hughes ------- Wheatley --------- Nicholson

-------------------- Styche --------- Ainge ------------------------

Subs: Bancroft, Collins, Syers, Henshall, Saunders.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:14 pm

loan_star wrote: I think making him train on his own in a public training session was a bit uncalled for to be honest. Public humiliation does neither the player or the man who made that decision any favours at all.
That was what I thought when I first heard about it too - better off just asking him not to come along at all than making some kind of pariah out of him in front of the supporters.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:15 pm

TFDM wrote:Also I believe Tony Pulis would rather see youngsters playing at our level rather than endless u23 games which lack a bit of cut and thrust.
You'd expect Pulis to want them playing at the most physical level possible!

DC

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:18 pm

I dont think Caton will figure for us at all this season, correct me if Im wrong but has he not featured in a friendly?
TW's style appears to be creating a buzz around the team, asking for the fans to help out and being the 12th man - very different from Grays management style.
If your in your in but if you are out you are out.
I was hoping we could at least get Caton out on loan for the month, surely its in the best interests of everyone. Caton could put himself out there, show his hunger to play and his talent. Doing what he is doing is putting him down in my estimations - and you question his desire, does he want to play football or is he quite happy to sit for a year doing nothing. Unfortunately this is a lasting legacy from Gray, I am still flabbergasted how Gray could have offered a player with this track record a 2 year deal - he has moved from club to club consistently and had yet to prove his worth.
Once Caton does move on permanently, if and when, then I am sure that will leave the scope to bring in another permanent signing in.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Was Caton there? I didn't notice him at all.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Caton was training on his own, we as fan's do not see the full picture with what's going on with him, maybe his attitude is all a bit awary, he maybe thinks he should be a first team reqular without the hassle of having to prove himself, who knows, not us the fans, so I think Tommy knows best regarding what is going on with Caton and should be left to get on with whatever is required to either get the best out of Caton or Caton finding another club to pursue his football career. Pride and attitude need looking at.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:07 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Doing what he is doing is putting him down in my estimations - and you question his desire, does he want to play football or is he quite happy to sit for a year doing nothing.
What is it that he's doing exactly?

Perhaps there's been no interest from other clubs, so he can't go on loan and he's not exactly going to tear up his contract just for the club's sake and leave himself unemployed.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:14 am

Syers went off injured yesterday with what looked like a hamstring injury. Hopefully not too serious otherwise he will miss the start of the season. One injury yesterday and we had to change shape.

Wouldn't mind us trying to sign Alex Pattison at Boro who was very good yesterday. Impressed at York last season.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:48 am

I have enjoyed the pre season games and really looking forward to the Season ahead. I wonder what the team formation / players that TW will go with for the first game? We have played different formations and players so I have no idea as to his best team although I personally prefer the 442 (but I am no football manager :D ) . The keeper looks a really good signing and I like the look of the forwards in Styche, Ainge, and Saunders, (HS looks to have developed over the break period), as each look capable of scoring although to be honest the scoring has been hard to come by in the pre season games so hope those guy's click quickly as think some teams will get a drubbing if they do. We still look capable of switching off at the back, (as in the Middlesbrough game), but that is to be expected in non league football so scoring lots of goals per game is the way forward :thumbup: .

Now for the Northallerton game which looks like one the first team will play, so we may get an indication of final team? and they usually have a couple good hand pulled beers on and excellent hot meat and gravy buns, a perfect pre season friendly for me ;) .

"Up the Quakers"

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Syers went off injured yesterday with what looked like a hamstring injury. Hopefully not too serious otherwise he will miss the start of the season. One injury yesterday and we had to change shape.

Wouldn't mind us trying to sign Alex Pattison at Boro who was very good yesterday. Impressed at York last season.
I agree, he looked a very good player, loads of energy and would be a great addition but would of thought he would be back at York if he was available.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:31 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Syers went off injured yesterday with what looked like a hamstring injury. Hopefully not too serious otherwise he will miss the start of the season. One injury yesterday and we had to change shape.

I agree, he looked a very good player, loads of energy and would be a great addition but would of thought he would be back at York if he was available.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
He might not like the manager at York :lol:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm

A few more quid in the coffers from yesterday's game

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Alex is a darlo fan (or at least used to be) so you never know!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:09 am

I see a lot of people are optimistic about the season ahead - I am more cautious. Our squad is very light on numbers, however that is hopefully an indication that we are at last living within our means.
Secondly, with regards to loan signings I can't see any happening until we are short in the first 11, no team like Boro 23's are going to loan us a player to sit on the bench as cover. But hopefully Tommy has seen a few players he can call on, and I'm sure Liddle will do the decent thing and help us out as and when.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 am

Couldn't make the game on Saturday, but will be at Northallerton, hopefully we'll have our full team out for at least 60 minutes.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Couldn't make the game on Saturday, but will be at Northallerton, hopefully we'll have our full team out for at least 60 minutes.
I love our little trips to Northallerton should be 5/600

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:04 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Couldn't make the game on Saturday, but will be at Northallerton, hopefully we'll have our full team out for at least 60 minutes.
I would be surprised if we took that many, we could only manage 302 at BM on Saturday.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:52 pm

There’s going to be bucket collections for defibrillators at the Northallerton game. It would be really appreciated if we could fill them :clap:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:57 pm

poppyfield wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
I would be surprised if we took that many, we could only manage 302 at BM on Saturday.
wow.. York v Leeds u23 attracted 4400 missed a trick there cancelling that game..