Tom Elliott

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Breedon
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tom Elliott

Post by Breedon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:10 am

Quakerz wrote:
divas wrote:Hopefully he can cover RB too. Pretty happy with that squad now.
We only have 6 defenders, one being a 19 year old youth, one being permanently injured, and one often injured.

I'd say we need 2 defenders.

I know Elliot can cover right back, I know Ainge can drop into defence, but that's not ideal.
This is my only worry, defenders. Need more depth there and you'd think we have a bit of room to bring in a couple of covering players given we took fees for a lot of the outgoings this summer as well as freed up wages. We have a strong first choice 16 on paper, but 2 or 3 long term injuries (and you know it'll happen if we chance it with a thin squad) and we're in trouble.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:11 am

Quakers83 wrote:
MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
We only have 6 defenders, one being a 19 year old youth, one being permanently injured, and one often injured.

I know Elliot can cover right back, I know Ainge can drop into defence, but that's not ideal.
I think that we may start with 3 at the back and use the old 'if we let in 2 we'll score 3' attitude. Hope I'm wrong though.
Given in the majority of games in pre-season we have gone with 4 at the back, I’d be very surprised if that was the case.
TW said after the Sunderland game, that he'd be looking to play a back 4, so doubt we'd revert back to a back 3.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 am

Breedon wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

This is my only worry, defenders. Need more depth there and you'd think we have a bit of room to bring in a couple of covering players given we took fees for a lot of the outgoings this summer as well as freed up wages. We have a strong first choice 16 on paper, but 2 or 3 long term injuries (and you know it'll happen if we chance it with a thin squad) and we're in trouble.
For all we have offloaded many, with Caton next, TW has had to deal with another budget cut, and the debt has also been cleared over the summer.

Being realistic the BTB was massive, as the £80k allowed us to bring in 4-5 additional players. 7 have come in (Maddison, Burn, Hughes, Elliott, Henshall, Nicholson, Ainge) - you look at the calibre of some of those players and they won’t come cheap. Whilst 11 have left (Marrs, Brown, Burgess, Heaton, Hunter, Scott, Portas, Turnbull, Gillies, Mills, Caton (TBC). That sounds about right to me, 7 in, 11 out taking into account the slashed budget.

I don’t think there would be much scope to bring in anyone further unless they were loanees.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:13 pm

The budget is clearly spent if you listen to the Tom Elliott interview so it looks like it’ll be one in one out. If we have any long term injuries I’m sure Boro will do us a favour

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 am

Bet Elliott was relieved to get out of Nuneaton. They have been under a transfer embargo until Wednesday this week and it was confirmed that the players there were not being paid towards the end of last season. They've now cobbled together a team, most of whom haven't had the chance to line up alongside each other in pre-season. The previous club chairman has gone and the new ground owner, the Port Vale owner Norman Smurthwaite, has been involved in a dispute with the rugby club over access to turnstiles across rugby club-owned land. He is not meant to be involved in running the club/ownership due to Port Vale ownership but says he is making "donations". It seems he is heavily involved in all aspects of the club and is looking to "appoint" a chairman. He says that the fans will have to prove they want a club by turning up or he'll look to offload the ground to the Supporters Coop after a year.
It looks a minor miracle that they are starting the season on Saturday.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 am

They’ve splashed the cash this summer though and brought in some very decent players.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:13 am

Kemy Augustin has left already without playing a game mind

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:49 am

I bet Tommy Wright was relieved to get out of Nuneaton the way things have worked out. Unless his departure was the catalyst for all the subsequent troubles.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!