Spennymoor tonight.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo2807
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennymoor tonight.

Post by Darlo2807 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Find it unbelievable that O’Hanlon would mark Taylor in the 90th minute...

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:Find it unbelievable that O’Hanlon would mark Taylor in the 90th minute...
Spennymoor put Taylor on O’Hanlon throughout the game, and then who marks Boyes - and the other lads that Spenny had forward?

Good performance tonight, 4-4-2 - feel deflated to concede late on, but we’re getting closer IMO.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Much better, particularly commitment from 1st to last minute. Wheatley was outstanding. Should have won really, Henshall, Styche then Nicholson should really have scored.
Faded badly again in last 30,not fit enough in my opinion. Curzon and Spenny dominated last periods of game.
Early days, but don’t like the keeper, beaten 3 times with similar goals over his head under the bar. I was right behind tonight’s late goal and he was very slow in jumping, got a hand to it, but just needed to push it over.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Massive improvement tonight from Saturday they equalised in the 90min, but we should have had the game sown up long before then. I have faith in the team again with this much improved performance. Get down to Blackwell next Wednesday for the blyth game. Well done everyone keep improving.
Jason anslie passionate about game and good humoured after good bloke. Lots of friendly banter.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:35 pm

onewayup wrote:Massive improvement tonight from Saturday they equalised in the 90min, but we should have had the game sown up long before then. I have faith in the team again with this much improved performance. Get down to Blackwell next Wednesday for the blyth game. Well done everyone keep improving.
Jason anslie passionate about game and good humoured after good bloke. Lots of friendly banter.
Could not make the game tonight but heard that Maddison should have done better with the looping header from a fair distance out and with the mistake on Saturday then not a great start for him.4 goals conceded already is not good enough if we hope to be in contention.Just wonder if TW has been far too hasty letting players like Turnbull and Portas leave and replacing them with Hughes and Elliott.Not convinced tbh but in any case we simply must tighten up at the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Improvement from Saturday as mentioned above.

There's two points I have about the scoreline. Yes, we controlled the game for a 2-1 result, but I wasn't surprised when the equalizer was headed in. Spenny had the 2nd half, and we had maybe 10% possession for about, 20 minutes of the game.

A game we could have easily put to bed with 2 chances we should had taken in the 2nd half.

Trotman and Wheatley were excellent tonight. The spenny equalizer was both a brilliant header, but from where I was stood, it looked like it should have been saved. Adding to what happened last saturday and even the first goal, fans were suggesting that should have also been saved. I'm half and half about Maddison, but I've only personally seen him play 2 games myself. I haven't forgotten the penalty save by the way.

Final thought. Ref was atrocious. For both sides.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 pm

They deserved a point and dominated possession in the second half despite kicking up Sutton Bank. Id have taken that scoreline before the game and it was a fair reflection of how it went. Something to build on. Ainsley never stopped ranting at the officials for 90 minutes and his behaviour transfers to his players... chandler seemed to be offering to fight a darlo fan after the game when he was given some abuse during treatment for a head injury. Mark anderson was also losing his head. They dont seem to be able to handle things when their ground becomes like a home match for us.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Referee was OK.
Couple of mistakes but that's going to happen to any referee in any match.
I don't get this obsession with slagging them off incessantly.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Well that was much better, thought we deserved the win in the end but only just. Wheatley was excellent, plenty of work for Wright to do but he has enough decent players to get results if he can get them setup and up for every game.

Ainge and Styche showed a better partnership developing tonight. Don't think we are a top 3/4 team but if we keep in and around the top half up to Christmas then you never know.

Need to get a win on the table sooner rather than later.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Wasn't sure it was a penalty...but will take it, then 3 pretty decent goals.

Styche has been a bit mouthy last couple games, it's not really the example I want our captain setting.

Came away disappointed that we conceded so late, but the performance, despite conceding twice, was decent and we could have had a couple more

Something to build on :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

quaker4life

Re: Spennymoor tomorrow night.

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm

biccynana wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I reckon we'll still take around 500 to the game.
I’ll have some of what you’re smoking? Fucking 500, go to sleep Pete.

We took just shy of 800 in April for an absolute meaningless game. We will take over 1,000 tomorrow.

Fucking 500, give your head a shake :lol: :lol:
Come on then, who called it right, Andy or Pete?
Neither.

Around 350-400 there tonight.

;)
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:02 pm

quaker4life wrote:
biccynana wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

We took just shy of 800 in April for an absolute meaningless game. We will take over 1,000 tomorrow.

Neither.

Bollox.You actually believe Spenny had over 1300 there!!!.6-700 from Darlo at least.

;)

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Emdubya wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
Bollox.You actually believe Spenny had over 1300 there!!!.6-700 from Darlo at least.

;)
Hook, line and sinker.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:11 am

quaker4life wrote:
biccynana wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Neither.

;)
It seemed a little less crowded in the away end than last April, so probably 600 to 700 which is I believe closer to 500 than a 1000.
Thought the back 4 were superb, it was good to see that Collins lasted the full 90 minutes, although he doesn't look fully match fit. I'd give MOTM to Wheatley who was all over the pitch, but you could also make a case for Trotman and Thompson. Overall an excellent performance against a decent side and a draw was probably a fair result.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:42 am

Just a word about Spennymoor , I thought they hosted us well, didn't have to walk all the way round to get in, beer tent and a decent food on offer from the burger van.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Well that was much better, thought we deserved the win in the end but only just. Wheatley was excellent, plenty of work for Wright to do but he has enough decent players to get results if he can get them setup and up for every game.

Ainge and Styche showed a better partnership developing tonight. Don't think we are a top 3/4 team but if we keep in and around the top half up to Christmas then you never know.

Does anyone know why Hughes was left out of the squad?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:02 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
biccynana wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Neither.

;)
It seemed a little less crowded in the away end than last April, so probably 600 to 700 which is I believe closer to 500 than a 1000.
Thought the back 4 were superb, it was good to see that Collins lasted the full 90 minutes, although he doesn't look fully match fit. I'd give MOTM to Wheatley who was all over the pitch, but you could also make a case for Trotman and Thompson. Overall an excellent performance against a decent side and a draw was probably a fair result.
I was led to believe that there were 874 away fans and from where I was stood (5 deep) it looked at least that to me.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am

wizardofos wrote:Referee was OK.
Couple of mistakes but that's going to happen to any referee in any match.
I don't get this obsession with slagging them off incessantly.
Quite right especially when the mistakes lead to match changing goals, such as the award of yet another free kick to Spenny after a clash of heads (no immediate foul) but rather than restart with a dropped ball. Booking a keeper for changing sides for goal kick. OK these refs are part-timers, but by being inconsistent in their application of the rules (with which they seem to have swotted up on at halftime), they frequently are stopping the flow of the game.

Styche was booked for pointing out the inconsistent decisions and whilst he does wear the captain's armband which does allow some representations to be made on behalf of other players, TW's best decision of the night was to substitute Styche before he got into further trouble. In the last 30 minutes, the ref appeared to be looking for any excuse to penalise Darlo and send anyone of our players off.

I would love to see the reports on match officials published and some scoring system for their performances so fans could have some official statistics on which to judge the refs.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 am

quakerman wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Well that was much better, thought we deserved the win in the end but only just. Wheatley was excellent, plenty of work for Wright to do but he has enough decent players to get results if he can get them setup and up for every game.

TW may have known about the Spennymoor burger van which may have distracted Hughes!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am

jjljks wrote:Booking a keeper for changing sides for goal kick.
I assume this was for Maddison and it was when we were winning 2-1. So the caution was for delaying the restart of play. It’s pretty standard procedure in those circumstances?
jjljks wrote:I would love to see the reports on match officials published and some scoring system for their performances so fans could have some official statistics on which to judge the refs.
Will all fans have to publish their annual appraisals from work at the same time? That is surely only fair right?

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:28 am

He was booked because the ref told him to take the goal kick from the right hand side of the 6 yard box, as soon as the ref turned his back he went to the left.

Styche was booked for constant verbal, doesn't matter if it's inconsistent reffing, pointing it out is never going to work, and will only lead to a caution, as captain he should be asking why a decision is given at most, not with the way he was going on, he was too animated and looked like a petulant child, he was the same on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:47 am

quakerman wrote:

Probably because he’s well overweight,unfit and with his socks at half mast he looks like a Sunday morning player.Hopefully he can sort himself out because he does have ability.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:08 am

Much better performance than Saturday. Obviously it's always disappointing to concede so late on, particularly after we had some good chances in that second half, but a draw away at a team who will surely be up there at the end of the season is a good point. I think Wright summed it up in the PMI when he said the players looked much more comfortable with the 442.

Wheatley and Elliot worked well in CM and Thompson and Trotman were very good. Pleasing thing is we can still very obviously improve - Henshall was quiet on the left, but I think he'll come good with game time, and you can tell there's still a couple of key partnerships still a work in progress (Galbraith/Collins and Ainge/Styche).

2/2 in questionable refereeing performances mind - nice to see some things never change :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:12 am

The standard of football last night was very good.

Compared to some of the dull uneventful football previously to be seen at Feethams (post Gabbiadini years) and at The Arena (Tait era/relegation season) it was impressive. Good passing, control, and commitment - it was all there, so credit to both teams.

I doubt a match in league 6 would have looked like that 15-20 years ago.

The down side was the flare thrower :thumbdown: It's going to cost us one day...
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:15 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The standard of football last night was very good.

.... Good passing, control, and commitment - it was all there, so credit to both teams.

I doubt a match in league 6 would have looked like that 15-20 years ago.

The standard in the NLN this season is I think exceptionally good. The quality of players on show is very high. I can't recall a season in the NLN when so many sides have signed such good quality players.

I am expecting there to be lots of very good football played in this league. It will be interesting to see how strong the NLS sides are in comparison

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:26 am

Listening to the Spennymoor version of events in the post-match interviews, the line is "We were by far the better team, dominated possession, should have won it" blah blah blah. Anderson pretty much admits that his equaliser was a cross into the danger area that dropped in rather than some kind of wonder goal.
To be honest, for all Spennymoor's possession in the second half they didn't really create much in the way of chances, we probably had the best couple of opportunities, and we also defended very well. They have plenty of attacking options at their disposal but can be suspect at the back when put on the back foot.
I would say good tense competitive game and a fair result. No complaints.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 am

LoidLucan wrote:black blah blah.
:o
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:58 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Yes, the flare thrown was up there with the Spennymoor racist abuse. Blemishes on a well contested game :thumbdown:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 am

jjljks wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Yes, the flare thrown was up there with the Spennymoor racist abuse. Blemishes on a well contested game :thumbdown:

Was there an incident(s) of racist abuse last night? If so, what happened as not heard it mentioned on social media. I was not at the game so unaware

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:06 am

Can I just add that Loid's "black blah blah" typo has nothing to do with any suspected racism that may have occurred last night.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!