Spennymoor tonight.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennymoor tonight.

Post by loan_star » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:45 am

shawry wrote:He was booked because the ref told him to take the goal kick from the right hand side of the 6 yard box, as soon as the ref turned his back he went to the left.

Styche was booked for constant verbal, doesn't matter if it's inconsistent reffing, pointing it out is never going to work, and will only lead to a caution, as captain he should be asking why a decision is given at most, not with the way he was going on, he was too animated and looked like a petulant child, he was the same on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
The ref has no right to tell a keeper which side to kick from. He can only book the keeper if he feels he is delaying things, on this occasion it was very questionable if this was the case.
My main gripe was the booking of Collins for holding an opponent back whereas their player who did exactly the same got away without a booking, leading to Styches booking for asking why there was no booking for the same offence.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 am

loan_star wrote:
shawry wrote:He was booked because the ref told him to take the goal kick from the right hand side of the 6 yard box, as soon as the ref turned his back he went to the left.

Styche was booked for constant verbal, doesn't matter if it's inconsistent reffing, pointing it out is never going to work, and will only lead to a caution, as captain he should be asking why a decision is given at most, not with the way he was going on, he was too animated and looked like a petulant child, he was the same on Saturday.

The ref has no right to tell a keeper which side to kick from. He can only book the keeper if he feels he is delaying things, on this occasion it was very questionable if this was the case.
My main gripe was the booking of Collins for holding an opponent back whereas their player who did exactly the same got away without a booking, leading to Styches booking for asking why there was no booking for the same offence.
The trouble is we don't know the wordage used by Styche as he spoke to the ref. Too many swear words or an insult will lead to a booking.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm

loan_star wrote:

I think the problem occurred when Maddison did the same thing with a goal kick just before he got the booking. The ref did hard a word with him and probably told him not to waste time. Then when Maddison did the same thing a few minutes later, the ref decided he'd had enough of his time wasting antics.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:51 pm

loan_star wrote:

I'm not saying he can tell him where to take it from, but I'm assuming he said take it from the side it went out, you keep reversing it so you are wasting time, then booked him when he ignored him.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 pm

shawry wrote:
loan_star wrote:

I'm not saying he can tell him where to take it from, but I'm assuming he said take it from the side it went out, you keep reversing it so you are wasting time, then booked him when he ignored him.

I wonder why that rule was scrapped in the early 90's?

Should bring it back imo, to prevent the above. Its not like teams can choose which side to take a corner from .
Think before posting

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:20 pm

poppyfield wrote:Just a word about Spennymoor , I thought they hosted us well, didn't have to walk all the way round to get in, beer tent and a decent food on offer from the burger van.
Definitely agree they were firing the burgers out and the bar was good outside something to learn from I think..

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:38 pm

The Madison booking highlighted exactly why that ref was poor. The Spenny keeper did *exactly* the same thing in the first half. Set himself to take a goal kick then decided to take it from the other side. He actually took longer over changing sides than Madison did. They're either both bookings or neither of them are. You just can't do stuff like that as a referee.

He didn't make any match ruining bad decisions but he was such a drama queen, broke the game up needlessly and was horrendously inconsistent with identical incidents. Something would happen, play on, the same thing would happen 10 minutes later, he'd give a foul and book someone.

If we're going to critique our players performance every week why should refs not be called out on ballsing up an otherwise really good game of football? That guy is the same every time we have him, total drama queen.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:58 pm

The referee thought it was all about him look at me type, everyone there knew who was refereeing, a good referee go's unnoticed, this guy is a very poor one 2 out of 10 type same as last time he refereed our game.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Breedon wrote:The Madison booking highlighted exactly why that ref was poor. The Spenny keeper did *exactly* the same thing in the first half. Set himself to take a goal kick then decided to take it from the other side. He actually took longer over changing sides than Madison did. They're either both bookings or neither of them are. You just can't do stuff like that as a referee.
1. What was the score at the time of these incidents
2. Was there any prior warning to the caution. Was their prior warning for the first one.

You have to be ridiculously thick to think that the caution was for deciding to take there goal kick on the other side of the penalty area. A goal kick can be taken anywhere inside the 6 yard box. The caution was for deliberately delaying the restart after being warned about his prior conduct...it’s really not that difficult to see it objectively.

I am pretty sure that if we were chasing a game by a goal and an opposition keeper did that you would be the first one crying his eyes out “why is the ref not doing anything about this” throwing one of the mini tantrums which take place in football grounds across the country every week.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Unfortunately Mr Paul Brown is a consistently very poor referee. Yesterday evening was just borderline staggering at times. Apart from the very obvious penalty, he gave us nothing.

The decision to book Ainge & Curtis, but then award Spennymoor a free-kick was baffling considering Curtis had Ainge in a head-lock on the ground. Maddison also didn’t stop and decide to change sides when he was booked. It looked like the referee told him to take it on the right-side of the six-yard box and Maddison decided to take it from the left (which you see happen all the time including the Spennymoor keeper in the first half). I also don’t know how Spennymoor’s players weren’t booked for similar fouls that we made and how (in the first-half) were allowed to take a quick free-kick and we weren’t?

He likes to be the star of the show constantly. The less we have of him this year the better.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:44 pm

I actually thought the Maddison one was fine - he was being a bit cheeky, and didn't get away with it. Although I was surprised when he was booked as I hadn't seen him get a warning which normally happens. But overall he was very inconsistent, and quite often in Spennymoors favour it seemed. Most striking example I can remember being Collins getting (rightly) booked for pulling an attacker back after he was turned, but when a Spennymoor defender did exactly the same thing not that long after, just a free kick. Nothing game deciding, just rather frustrating. Makes you wonder what refs see some time.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Appeal has gone out for any witnesses to the flare just a pity they can't be made to pay the heavy fine.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:Appeal has gone out for any witnesses to the flare just a pity they can't be made to pay the heavy fine.
I witnessed the flare I think it was orange if I ain't gone colour blind

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:Appeal has gone out for any witnesses to the flare just a pity they can't be made to pay the heavy fine.
How on earth can the club get fined for this though? Is there any proof that it was a Darlington fan that threw it? Yes it came from the 'Away' end but for all we know it could have been a fan of ANY other team having a fun day out... Unless the police catch the suspect in the act then surely the club cannot be fined?
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 pm

Darlo Fonz wrote:
How on earth can the club get fined for this though? Is there any proof that it was a Darlington fan that threw it? Yes it came from the 'Away' end but for all we know it could have been a fan of ANY other team having a fun day out... Unless the police catch the suspect in the act then surely the club cannot be fined?
Unfortunately not how things work. If I am not mistaken then it is a case of reporting which set of supporters incidents like this come from (if identifiable). Usually in a segregated match this is quite easy less easy when not segregated.

Culpable fan base take a fine and I think home club also get fined regardless.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo Fonz wrote:
Unfortunately not how things work. If I am not mistaken then it is a case of reporting which set of supporters incidents like this come from (if identifiable). Usually in a segregated match this is quite easy less easy when not segregated.

Culpable fan base take a fine and I think home club also get fined regardless.

I think there is a possible defence available to home clubs along lines of having done all they can. The only reason I say this was on Tuesday morning I was reading an article about Leicester v a Danish side in European game at Kingpower when similar situation with flare/ smokebomb from visiting Danish fans. ...Leicester were not charged by UEFA but Danish club were.

I am guessing the club whose fans threw flare will be fined irrespective as a deterent to the fans.The home club wont be fined if there is nothing more they could do as a fine in such circumstances serves no purpose

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

spen666 wrote:I think there is a possible defence available to home clubs along lines of having done all they can. The only reason I say this was on Tuesday morning I was reading an article about Leicester v a Danish side in European game at Kingpower when similar situation with flare/ smokebomb from visiting Danish fans. ...Leicester were not charged by UEFA but Danish club were.

I am guessing the club whose fans threw flare will be fined irrespective as a deterent to the fans.The home club wont be fined if there is nothing more they could do as a fine in such circumstances serves no purpose
Yeh but imagine Leicester City did bag searches, had intelligence of specific fans they would not be admitting entry to based on local policy knowledge etc. when you say the defence of the did all they can - did Spennymoor do anything to prevent it getting into the ground?

I don’t know I thought there was a split responsibility on both clubs. One is responsible for the conduct of their fans the other is responsible for the security of the event on the day.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 am

lo36789 wrote:
spen666 wrote:I think there is a possible defence available to home clubs along lines of having done all they can. The only reason I say this was on Tuesday morning I was reading an article about Leicester v a Danish side in European game at Kingpower when similar situation with flare/ smokebomb from visiting Danish fans. ...Leicester were not charged by UEFA but Danish club were.

Yeh but imagine Leicester City did bag searches, had intelligence of specific fans they would not be admitting entry to based on local policy knowledge etc. when you say the defence of the did all they can - did Spennymoor do anything to prevent it getting into the ground?

I don’t know I thought there was a split responsibility on both clubs. One is responsible for the conduct of their fans the other is responsible for the security of the event on the day.

I am not commenting on what the clubs did on Tuesday night, I was not there .

I was merely answering the suggestion that home club is always guilty in such situations. The Leicester example suggests it not to be the case

I think any punishment on the club of the offending fans is more to deter fans from repeating the behaviour than punishing that club for any failure by the club. As game is not all ticket and Darlington did not sell tickets, then not sure they could do anything to prevent an idiot turning up with a flare.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 am

I was at the match, I was checking my phone at the time , I saw the steward come on and remove it but did it actually go off? Probably in a world of my own again :shock:

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am

It has been suggested to me on Twitter by someone who was down the side where the bogs were that the smoke bomb came over the back wall of the Away End. It's possible I guess as half a cup of tea went over someone climbing the trees behind the goal in the 2nd Half

I seen it go over my left shoulder

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 am

Anyone else think a life ban is seriously over the top though?

I mean it's a stupid thing to do, as the club have to pay a fine for it, and we're a fan run club strapped of cash... but life ban? Wayyy over the top.

I'd far rather they went after knuckle draggers who pick fights rather than most likely a daft, over-enthusiastic kid who probably didn't think about the consequences for the club.

HarrytheQuaker

Spennymoor tonight.

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 am

H1987 wrote:Anyone else think a life ban is seriously over the top though?

I mean it's a stupid thing to do, as the club have to pay a fine for it, and we're a fan run club strapped of cash... but life ban? Wayyy over the top.

I'd far rather they went after knuckle draggers who pick fights rather than most likely a daft, over-enthusiastic kid who probably didn't think about the consequences for the club.
That's the point they never think of the consequences why don't they do it at BM its always away leads me to believe they don't go to the home matches just the BIG away days..

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:55 pm

H1987 wrote:Anyone else think a life ban is seriously over the top though?

Chucking flares around could lead to a nasty accident though. It could get stuck in someones hair or coat or something. Everyone knows it's dangerous, even the flare throwers themselves.
Darlopartisan wrote:I was at the match, I was checking my phone at the time , I saw the steward come on and remove it but did it actually go off? Probably in a world of my own again :shock:
Yes - it went off - thick purple/red smoke. However I think that Darlo Fonz makes a good point, as it's a strange kind of system where a club can be fined with no factual evidence at all.

I mean who's to say it was a Darlo fan? It could of been anybody, it could of been someone from S'moor, or anywhere.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Strong rumours that Spendy have signed centre forward Shaun Tuton from Chester. Has only been at Chester for a week or so and was apparently on non-contract terms. It's maybe that vibe again :D

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Vibes are a very important part of football LoidL, but beware as "the love of vibes is the root of all evil"

But back to the flare and possible fine - it was quite a big crowd on Tuesday evening yet I can't remember seeing a single policeman. Not from walking from my car, through the entire match, and back again. Was this some form of cost cutting exercise? As they normally are present at our home games.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Strong rumours that Spendy have signed centre forward Shaun Tuton from Chester. Has only been at Chester for a week or so and was apparently on non-contract terms. It's maybe that vibe again :D
No knocking them down is there, just how do they do it if Groves has stopped funding them.Where is the money coming from, certainly not through the turnstyles.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Not saying it isn't a dick move by the way, but just the punishment should be proportionate.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Strong rumours that Spendy have signed centre forward Shaun Tuton from Chester. Has only been at Chester for a week or so and was apparently on non-contract terms. It's maybe that vibe again :D
Ainsley is turning into another Martin Gray, can't make do with what he has and keeps signing players until he finds a formula that works.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Where do you get the rumour from?
.He was injured on Saturday.

Be surprised if he did sign for Spennymoor given the number of strikers at club already / recently signed. They can't all be kept happy, if there are that many at the club and surely players would be made available for transfer or be unhappy. There seems to be a glut of strikers at Spennymoor now.

Perhaps Spennymoor are trying to stop other sides scoring against them by signing every goalscorer on the market....need to do something after the last 2 home games resulted in 6 goals conceeded

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:56 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
No knocking them down is there, just how do they do it if Groves has stopped funding them.Where is the money coming from, certainly not through the turnstyles.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Noticed their attendance was 1100 down for Altrincham, so Groves will not be happy.....