Kidderminster V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster V Darlington

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Collins kicked the water bottle when he came off and sounded like there may have been words exchanged with TW. Don't like to hear that kind of thing going on within the squad.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:44 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Collins kicked the water bottle when he came off and sounded like there may have been words exchanged with TW. Don't like to hear that kind of thing going on within the squad.
Didn't see this was he subbed or was this at end of the match? Either way a bit of passion is no bad thing, dissent towards the Manager something different I guess?

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Just back from the match, Kiddie were better than us in the first 15 but I hoped we would grow into the game, that changed with Wheatley's challenge. At the time I thought it was going to be a red although the opposition players ensured that it was with their reactions. I would have thought we could have given it ten minutes to see how we got on but TW made a quick decision bringing off Henshall and bringing on Hughes.

It's easy to say in retrospect but Hughes offered very little and if a change was needed we might have done better bringing on Nicholson and playing a tight midfield three. Moving Styche to the side does no good for him although to be fair to him he worked really hard defensively but that's not his game. When we got to 3-2 we just needed to hold on for 10 minutes and throw everything at that at the end of the game but defensively it was horrendous (first half especially). It was a good decision to take off Collins and bring on O'Hanlon. Nicholson for Wheatley and O'Hanlon for Collins should start the next match.

Maddison 5 Could have done better with the final goal and needs to communicate more
Trotman 5 Their number 3 gave Luke the toughest game I have seen him have
Galbraith 7 The only central defender with any credit
Collins 3 Out of position and out of pace (he did pull the forwards arm for the pen, although you rarely get those decisions)
Burn 4 As above
Elliot 6 Playing without Wheatley, he still put himself about and worked hard
Henshall 4 Not his fault withdrawn too soon
Wheatley 4 Bad tackle I thought a deserved red
Styche 7 A menace on the ball and dug in defensively
Ainge 6 Struggled up top alone
Thompson 6 with a man light, struggled to do any of the usual link ups with Ainge/Styche

Hughes 3 Two clear headed chances missed and kept passing out of play, really unfit
O'Hanlon 7 Energertic performance, will start the next game
Nicholson 7 As above, looked to create too, should start alongside Elliot

The ref was inconsistent with giving a pen for Kiddie but not one for Darlo when Ainge was climbed all over but I do think got the red right.

On to Alty at home...

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Sounds like we played 4 3 2 after Wheatley was sent off, isn’t the norm to play 4 4 1 after you go to 10 men
I would have thought that by bringing Ainge into centre mid and going 441 with styche up front to keep things tight then go from there.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We need some kind of back to basics look at our defensive set-up. We've conceded in every game and shipped a total of 12 in five matches now which is not good enough. Yes we have been able to get teams on the back foot with our attacking options but we won't get anywhere unless we can be more solid at the back. Granted we had a player sent off early in the game but maybe in general the set-up is a little too much orientated towards attack when we sometimes need to be meaner. At least TW now has a week to assess and get this sorted.
Agree 100%, TW simply has to sort out our defence, we cannot keep asking our forwards to keep banging them in to get results, we have some great attacking players but this has to be looked at to make us more solid at the back.Still think we will be back in the mix looking at our next 4 or 5 games and must admit we have had a tough set of games so early in the season,to get Spenny,Brackley and Kiddie out of the way is a big plus.

Roll on Saturday and fully expect to get the 3 points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Hughes can't win here he will always be over weight did all right at Billericay.. So every time he has a bad game that the excuse used.. FFS only played 5 games stop wet the fcuking bed

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Agree with most of what darlobaz says, but I think youre being a bit harsh on Hughes. I thought his range of passing was decent and he looked like he had a cool head on him when everyone else was going a bit potty.

Not great today, the defence looked very suspect, but even before the red card they were getting no protection from the midfield.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:36 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Hughes can't win here he will always be over weight did all right at Billericay.. So every time he has a bad game that the excuse used.. FFS only played 5 games stop wet the fcuking bed

Only person wetting the bed here is you with that overreaction.

Everyone is being quite measured as far as I can see. Fairly clear our defence hasn't been as strong in the opening five games as it was last season, which is cause for concern. As is the fact TW can't resist meddling with winning formulas.

Early days like you say, but 1 win from 5 with no clean sheets isn't a good start, irrespective of how good we looked v Brackley and Blyth.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:Hughes can't win here he will always be over weight did all right at Billericay.. So every time he has a bad game that the excuse used.. FFS only played 5 games stop wet the fcuking bed

Everyone is being quite measured as far as I can see. Fairly clear our defence hasn't been as strong in the opening five games as it was last season, which is cause for concern. As is the fact TW can't resist meddling with winning formulas.

Early days like you say, but 1 win from 5 with no clean sheets isn't a good start, irrespective of how good we looked v Brackley and Blyth.

That's harsh too. We kept the same side today, so cant be tinkering that much...

divas

Post by divas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Despite a tough start to the season fixture wise we can probably feel a bit hard done to that we’re not sat in the play offs on 9 points. We certainly need to tighten up defensively and find that killer instinct to turn draws into wins but this is a relatively new set of lads and I’m confident there’s more to come

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:18 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

That's harsh too. We kept the same side today, so cant be tinkering that much...
I thought it was fairly obvious that I was talking generally. Anyway your logic doesn't make sense. You can't say "He kept one unchanged side therefore doesn't tinker too much." You can't apply one game to his near 12 months in charge. That's nonsensical.

It was a real feature of his first few months in charge here that he chopped and changed far too match.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:46 am

Very poor all round, not just the defence.

The only players who I thought had reasaonable games were O Hanlon, Nicholson and Galbraith.

I didnt think most of the team looked arsed if Im honest which is unusual for me watching Darlo, long way for the fans to go for that kind of performance.

Hoping thats the one crap game that every team has in a season out of the way now as at Brackley and home to Blyth they were superb.

Might all be a bad dream with a few good performances in the next few weeks.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:10 am

divas wrote:Despite a tough start to the season fixture wise we can probably feel a bit hard done to that we’re not sat in the play offs on 9 points. We certainly need to tighten up defensively and find that killer instinct to turn draws into wins but this is a relatively new set of lads and I’m confident there’s more to come
Totally agreed.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Their boss came up to watch our game against Blyth and saw our attacking threat so he obviously decided they would try to keep the ball and get us on the back foot and try to nullify players like Tommo. They did their homework and their gameplan worked well. Add to that the fact that they are full-time, well resourced and probably have a bigger and better squad than us, along us us being suspect at the back with the way we are set up, and you can easily work out why we were tonked. There are things for TW to work on to make us meaner, tighter and tougher otherwise we will be having this kind of conversation again as the season unfolds.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:Just back from the match, Kiddie were better than us in the first 15 but I hoped we would grow into the game, that changed with Wheatley's challenge. At the time I thought it was going to be a red although the opposition players ensured that it was with their reactions. I would have thought we could have given it ten minutes to see how we got on but TW made a quick decision bringing off Henshall and bringing on Hughes.

It's easy to say in retrospect but Hughes offered very little and if a change was needed we might have done better bringing on Nicholson and playing a tight midfield three. Moving Styche to the side does no good for him although to be fair to him he worked really hard defensively but that's not his game. When we got to 3-2 we just needed to hold on for 10 minutes and throw everything at that at the end of the game but defensively it was horrendous (first half especially). It was a good decision to take off Collins and bring on O'Hanlon. Nicholson for Wheatley and O'Hanlon for Collins should start the next match.

Maddison 5 Could have done better with the final goal and needs to communicate more
Trotman 5 Their number 3 gave Luke the toughest game I have seen him have
Galbraith 7 The only central defender with any credit
Collins 3 Out of position and out of pace (he did pull the forwards arm for the pen, although you rarely get those decisions)
Burn 4 As above
Elliot 6 Playing without Wheatley, he still put himself about and worked hard
Henshall 4 Not his fault withdrawn too soon
Wheatley 4 Bad tackle I thought a deserved red
Styche 7 A menace on the ball and dug in defensively
Ainge 6 Struggled up top alone
Thompson 6 with a man light, struggled to do any of the usual link ups with Ainge/Styche

Hughes 3 Two clear headed chances missed and kept passing out of play, really unfit
O'Hanlon 7 Energertic performance, will start the next game
Nicholson 7 As above, looked to create too, should start alongside Elliot

The ref was inconsistent with giving a pen for Kiddie but not one for Darlo when Ainge was climbed all over but I do think got the red right.

On to Alty at home...
Hughes in unacceptably fat for a footballer who is being paid to play. Sorry. Even i'm thinner, and i get to play seven a side once a week, and that's about it. These guys train a couple of times a week, and play a full 90 minute game. What on earth is he eating and drinking to be in that shape?

I mean, I get they're not pros at this level, and Ainge is certainly carrying a bit of beef as well, and it's not necessarily a problem... but Hughes just looks unfit. The club should be asking him to cut some weight imo. It's entirely acceptable if you're being paid to play a sport, that there's some expectation you keep yourself in a decent physical condition. I'm not paid for it, and I think i'm probably thinner than him. He's almost certainly fitter than me, but he's simultaneously almost certainly the least fit member of the first team squad. No excuse imo.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:05 pm

H1987 wrote: Hughes in unacceptably fat for a footballer who is being paid to play. Sorry. Even i'm thinner, and i get to play seven a side once a week, and that's about it. These guys train a couple of times a week, and play a full 90 minute game. What on earth is he eating and drinking to be in that shape?

I mean, I get they're not pros at this level, and Ainge is certainly carrying a bit of beef as well, and it's not necessarily a problem... but Hughes just looks unfit. The club should be asking him to cut some weight imo. It's entirely acceptable if you're being paid to play a sport, that there's some expectation you keep yourself in a decent physical condition. I'm not paid for it, and I think i'm probably thinner than him. He's almost certainly fitter than me, but he's simultaneously almost certainly the least fit member of the first team squad. No excuse imo.
Some people are just heavy set compared to others. Doesnt make them unfit or bad players. Hughes does look like he's towing a caravan but he doesnt deserve writing off after a couple of appearances. if he's still the same in a few months then questions need to be asked. I'm prepared to cut him some slack at the moment.
As for the game, I think Wright got it wrong and should have packed the midfield and taken Ainge off rather than Henshall and played Styche as the lone striker.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Just watched the goals from yesterday. Shambolic defending, getting done on crosses into ghe box time after time with no one taking control or organising. Maddison howler for the 5th. He’s dropped a clanger in every game. I had high hopes for him given his pedigree but he looks poor so far. Lots of work for Collett to do with him.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm

It's been a mixed bag the first five games to say the least, let's give it at least ten games to get it sorted before we all jump onto the managers and players backs, we aren't going to burn up this league but we maybe can steadily move up. Keep the faith lads onwards and upwards with Darlington fc. Look forward to the next game.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:21 pm

That last goal was shocking - to be honest rest of team looked like they had given up as well mind.

The red card is as clear and obvious a red card as you will ever see.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Now I’ve had time to reflect on the game, as well as sobering up. Here’s my few thoughts of the game yesterday.

Thought we looked very disjointed and a bit all over the shop from the minute go, the players looked largely confused with what positions they were playing after the sending off. I won’t take anything away from Kidderminster as they were the better team by a mile and deserved the win.

There were moments in the game where we looked promising but sadly it wasn’t our day, at one point we had Styche playing on the wing and Thompson/Nicholson waiting up top.. Was weird to see.

Thought we took a good number of fans down there, 194 I believe? The 15/20 fans at the back of the stand alongside myself and others made a very good atmosphere for a good 60/70 minutes - so at least that was pleasing to see.

Onwards to Saturday.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 am

I never went to the game as at a wedding, (in fact missing two out of the next three as well :( ), so had to rely on the highlights. Did not look like a penalty, but highlights appear to show that we weren't much in the game much at the start. The other goals were poor marking with their players drifting off and our players not following but marking space and ball watching, (this happened a number of times last year costing us goals, especially with Collins from memory). All the games this year have shown that we are suspect when balls lofted into the box, (we are missing Heaton) and I am sure this will be picked up by other managers so something that needs to be worked on, (Vaulx always looks switched on and good in the air when he has had the chance, so may be one to consider?) .

I don't blame Maddison for last goal either, he had to go for the ball as no defenders there, then in two minds as he could not afford to clatter their player in case of another penalty, (although he could have punched the ball to be honest), not one of the other defenders came out to block and allow Maddison to get back, they all just stood and watched.

Plenty to work on for the management, but the players need to take responsibility and start talking to each other and showing leadership on the pitch.

Still it is early days and at least the football is exciting :)

"Up the Quakers"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:14 am

Obviously a bad day at the office, but the next two are winnable and unlike someone else who insisted on 6 points from these 2 games, I'd take 4 points at the moment and anything more would be a bonus.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:07 am

Right gonna put it out there people need to give Hughes a chance. I think he himself will know he is not in shape but to describe him as a cart horse is needlessly harsh. Anyone can see that he is extremely composed on the ball and technically has the skillset required.

It’s not an excuse but the guy is still working his way back from depths of depression and nearly suicide. Do we really think that the way to talk about such an individual is just abuse his weight constantly?

Maybe it’s just me but I can see a player in there. He needs some time to get right and back to a peak condition but that isn’t easy for a part timer who has another job to work throughout the day.

The more I look at it he would benefit from some individual fitness training (local personal trainer perhaps?) because he’s not going to get there from just completing the stuff with the rest of the team. I’m sure this is all well known but you don’t become ‘fit’ in 6 weeks.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 am

It was clear in pre season that Hughes does have the ability but when the season started and the match tempo quickened he struggled. I wonder if a short loan spell playing regularly at a lower level would improve both fitness and sharpness.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:42 am

We were poor on Saturday. Defensively we were a shambles and for the period between the sending off and half time we looked confused and clueless.

Elliot ran himself into the ground for little reward. Nicholson really added something and allowed us to dispense with the 6-0-3 we were playing at times. Aigne looked isolated as you might expect and Styche worked very hard for the team reducing his goal threat. Tommo tried to do his usual job but didn't have the outlets when we were reduced to 10 men and changed shape. Some of the criticism of Hughes is uncalled for. Yes he is carrying a bit of timber but I thought he looked composed in the middle. Has he had a pre season?

Defensively only really Galbratih looked composed until O'Hanlon came on. Collins was poor although no worse than Burn really. Maddison made a couple of good saves but dropped a clanger for the 5th. I think his decision making, positioning, communication and command of his area and back 4 need work.
lo36789 wrote:That last goal was shocking - to be honest rest of team looked like they had given up as well mind.

The red card is as clear and obvious a red card as you will ever see.
I said at the time he won the ball. I have seen the highlights and he won the ball. It shouldn't be a sending off but these days it is. Used to be called a rough tackle. Mans game and all that. Game has gone soft.

However, knowing what the game is like these days diving in like that was stupid. it gave a poor ref an easy decision to make. He couldn't get his red card out fast enough.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:20 pm

It’s been a good 20 to 30 years since “won the ball” means it’s ok. Excessive force, out of control and the straight leg endangered safety of opponent. That is all 3 boxes ticked.

It absolutely not acceptable to break someone’s leg half way up their shin just because you happened to touch the ball on the way to getting there

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:39 pm

lo36789 wrote:It’s been a good 20 to 30 years since “won the ball” means it’s ok. Excessive force, out of control and the straight leg endangered safety of opponent. That is all 3 boxes ticked.

It absolutely not acceptable to break someone’s leg half way up their shin just because you happened to touch the ball on the way to getting there
I agree that in the game today it is sending off, which i find sad. My view is that a hard, physical and ( shock horror!) aggressive tackle which wins the ball should not be an automatic red card.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:Right gonna put it out there people need to give Hughes a chance. I think he himself will know he is not in shape but to describe him as a cart horse is needlessly harsh. Anyone can see that he is extremely composed on the ball and technically has the skillset required.

It’s not an excuse but the guy is still working his way back from depths of depression and nearly suicide. Do we really think that the way to talk about such an individual is just abuse his weight constantly?

Maybe it’s just me but I can see a player in there. He needs some time to get right and back to a peak condition but that isn’t easy for a part timer who has another job to work throughout the day.

The more I look at it he would benefit from some individual fitness training (local personal trainer perhaps?) because he’s not going to get there from just completing the stuff with the rest of the team. I’m sure this is all well known but you don’t become ‘fit’ in 6 weeks.
Isn't/wasn't Alan White a Personal Trainer? If so........ there is your answer. Your point regards part time is interesting, and of course this has been mentioned many times before on here. Playing Devils advocate, does this mean that the players are allowed a bit of slack as regards their ability to do the job (not time off) from their other Employer because they are also a part time footballer? Maybe they are but I doubt it. Do you not agree all players should be fit enough to play football at this level whatever that takes?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:24 pm

bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Right gonna put it out there people need to give Hughes a chance. I think he himself will know he is not in shape but to describe him as a cart horse is needlessly harsh. Anyone can see that he is extremely composed on the ball and technically has the skillset required.

Isn't/wasn't Alan White a Personal Trainer? If so........ there is your answer. Your point regards part time is interesting, and of course this has been mentioned many times before on here. Playing Devils advocate, does this mean that the players are allowed a bit of slack as regards their ability to do the job (not time off) from their other Employer because they are also a part time footballer? Maybe they are but I doubt it. Do you not agree all players should be fit enough to play football at this level whatever that takes?
Got it ever so slightly wrong he is a Sports Massage Therapist...………"Look into my eyes look into my eyes"

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 pm

bga wrote:Isn't/wasn't Alan White a Personal Trainer? If so........ there is your answer. Your point regards part time is interesting, and of course this has been mentioned many times before on here. Playing Devils advocate, does this mean that the players are allowed a bit of slack as regards their ability to do the job (not time off) from their other Employer because they are also a part time footballer? Maybe they are but I doubt it. Do you not agree all players should be fit enough to play football at this level whatever that takes?
I think he needs someone local to him though - he’s living in Hull or something isn’t he?

It depends what job they have and their maturity in that job I guess. If they are just starting out then expect it’s their focus. Their job is what pays the mortgage still at this level I think. It just gets topped up pretty well nowadays.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be getting fit. I am saying people should be conscious of their tongue. I think “Miller still needs to get match fit” is a perfectly reasonably comment to make some of the language used here is borderline abusive.

I am more conscious coz of his battles with mental illness but in actual fact does any one deserve to be subject to abusive language on an internet messageboard never mind one of our own players.