Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Whatever formation we are playing we ain't good enough to play two up top at present. It has to be either Ainge or Styche. Sayers needs to come back in, we are getting totally over run in midfield.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:55 pm

I don't think the Alty players could quite believe how easy that was. They barely had to shift out of first gear to simply carve through our team at will. TW will have to show his mettle now because people won't pay to watch a surrender like that. It was disorganised, gutless, chaotic and heartless. It's clear we need a completely new approach to defending, to concentrate on being tight, tough and mean and TW has to show he's capable of organising that. I think we also need Syers' experience to help steady things... crazy to be starting games with a player like that on the bench. There's a lot of work for TW to do and he needs to start on it ASAP. That today was simply unacceptable.
It is beginning to look like the massive and swift turnaround in personnel has left us much weaker.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Quakerlad wrote:That was a disgrace. I cannot remember a Darlo team for a long time look so off the pace, disinterested, outfought, little desire and where do we start with TW.!

I have said it before but the players he has signed has weakened the squad, no question. With the exception of Ainge who gives his absolute all, the rest look as though as they are not bothered. Nicholson did will in flashes but please tell me what Hughes gives the team, unbelievable.

We have some “nice” players but against tough, rugged teams like Curzon and Altringham, we just are not strong enough and cannot compete. Yes, if like Blyth did, they sit back and let us have the ball we are fine but get in our faces, close us down etc we are gutless.

Burn and Collins are simply not good enough and sorry, but Trotman, much as he is one of our “nice” players, cannot defend!

No leaders at all apart from Ainge. Clearly TW does not rate Collins, so why on earth let our only other natural centre half go on loan and end up with kids on the bench at this stage of the season.

Didn’t like his appointment at the time and have seen nothing to change my mind. Yes, seems a decent guy, but tactically unaware and out of his depth.
Stop pissing your pants FFS... I knew it would be Hughes fault... It wasn't pretty but let's get behind the lads not booing them it only makes it worst.. People need to stop thinking we will win every game and we are world beaters..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Awful,horrible,spineless performance.Big worry for me is 3 or 4 of the new signings simply not good enough for this level, we cannot defend, set up to be far too attacking, even the 2 full backs are always pushing up and leave us wide open for the counter attack.Simply not good enough sorry to say Tommy,15 goals conceded is a disgrace.Even more worrying is if we have unsettled players behind the scenes, Syers looked fed up in the dugout at HT and just what is going on with Collins god only knows.Really cannot see us winning many games the way TW has us set up ....worrying tbh.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
If I was Dave Syers I would be fed up as well.Seriously,if Wright thinks that Yeti is a better player than Syers he knows fuck all about players.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Quakerlad wrote:That was a disgrace. I cannot remember a Darlo team for a long time look so off the pace, disinterested, outfought, little desire and where do we start with TW.!

I have said it before but the players he has signed has weakened the squad, no question. With the exception of Ainge who gives his absolute all, the rest look as though as they are not bothered. Nicholson did will in flashes but please tell me what Hughes gives the team, unbelievable.

We have some “nice” players but against tough, rugged teams like Curzon and Altringham, we just are not strong enough and cannot compete. Yes, if like Blyth did, they sit back and let us have the ball we are fine but get in our faces, close us down etc we are gutless.

Burn and Collins are simply not good enough and sorry, but Trotman, much as he is one of our “nice” players, cannot defend!

No leaders at all apart from Ainge. Clearly TW does not rate Collins, so why on earth let our only other natural centre half go on loan and end up with kids on the bench at this stage of the season.

Didn’t like his appointment at the time and have seen nothing to change my mind. Yes, seems a decent guy, but tactically unaware and out of his depth.
My first game of the season, really depressing, were awful, agree with all the above. I thought Maddison made some good saves, and seemed to be the only player communicating with others especially at corners. What is the point of having a captain who only moans at the ref but doesn't encouage his own players?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:06 pm

I cannot find the words to describe that
Which proported to be football today,
Mr Wright get it sorted before our crowd's drop below 1000, I think today will cost 200/300 on next Saturdays gate, floating fans won't come back and watch that dross.I am a Darlington fc season ticket holder, and starting to be very concerned for our future in this league, hopefully it can be turned round,
I saw three very good game's against spennymoor, blyth, and Brackley, then to this what's happened Tommy, from them games to this level.i dispare.
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:10 pm

banktopp wrote:Why did Collins come on for Galbraith and was then subbed at half time ?
Club website saty Collins had an ankle injury.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Quakerz wrote:Hughes doesn't need mobility, he has a killer pass.

Effectively, the pitch moves him to where he wants to be.

Give him a few more games to shake the rust off, you will see. I know quality when I see it.
Thought I had better quote this before someone else does!

Fuck me, the guy has pedigree but today he looked like a shot footballer. He offered nothing and gave no protection to our floundering defence.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Today was just awful, they won’t have any easier game all season.

Clearly all is not well behind the scenes, never seen the players arguing between themselves like that before, not good.

Things need to change and change quick otherwise we’ll be in a relegation fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:13 pm

One of the worst performances I’ve ever seen. Type of performance which happens when something has happened backstage. Hopefully that’s not the case

Hughes will no doubt get singled out, but he was just as bad as about 8 other players on the pitch. Woeful

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:33 pm

The interview is up, sounds like we might not see Collins again.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:34 pm

I mentioned this before on another thread or match thread but Wright is tactically inept and this was found out at Corby and Nuneaton, we were warned as well. He talks a good game and is seemingly a genuine bloke but for all of this if the optimism can't be transferred to the pitch then we are going to go nowhere and currently we are slipping dangerously close to the level we were at from Oct-Feb last season.

We and he knows this form has to improve asap or else we are going to potentially be facing another very difficult situation.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:36 pm

There's clearly been a big bust-up over the Dom Collins situation. TW saying that Collins didn't tell he was injured before the game and then told him at half-time he couldn't continue. Clearly a lot of words have been exchanged. There were also quite a few rows breaking out among the players on the pitch and TW saying the players' body language was all wrong. This doesn't look good at all.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:51 pm

So how long do e expect wright to stay? We havent sacked a manager since steve staunton - at what point does that change?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:01 pm

tdk1 wrote:So how long do e expect wright to stay? We havent sacked a manager since steve staunton - at what point does that change?
Singh sacked Mark Cooper didn't he?

Either way, it was only two weeks ago we were stuffing Brackley, so I think talk of sacking Wright is premature for now (and that's coming from me!)

But today was dreadful and can't be repeated. As others say, the most worrying aspect was the players' body language. It suggests all is not well behind the scenes, which two weeks after that Brackley performance would be immensely concerning.

TW earned a chance to build his own team with those performances from Feb to April and that still stands for now. But many more repeats of today and that question will need to be revisited.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:05 pm

tdk1 wrote:So how long do e expect wright to stay? We havent sacked a manager since steve staunton - at what point does that change?
Bit early for sacking talk but unless there is a major upturn in form it probably won’t be long.
Hope we have some dosh left in the kitty.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:09 pm

If we have a bad egg in the camp and its Dom Collins then he needs to go. He was already contracted wasn't he for this season before TW arrived, correct me if Im wrong?
Football is fairly Black and White, either you respect the manager or you dont. We've had a few players that have left that seem to have had a problem with the current staff but it shows lack of professionalism on their part by mouthing off.

Just had a quick look at the Altrincham website as I wanted to get a bit of background on the manager, as I was just checking it wasn't the Phil Parkinson from the football league - and it shows the following staff:
Manager: Phil Parkinson
Assistant Manager: Neil Sorvel
Coach: Chris Parkes
Goalkeeping Coach: Ian Senior
Analyst: Mark Bushell

This shows me we are a bit light on the staff front. Do we need another coach and do we have a Match Analyst providing info on the opposition?
Greg Norman

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Well Collins just tweeted a one word message: "lies"

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Singh sacked Mark Cooper didn't he?

Either way, it was only two weeks ago we were stuffing Brackley, so I think talk of sacking Wright is premature for now (and that's coming from me!)

But today was dreadful and can't be repeated. As others say, the most worrying aspect was the players' body language. It suggests all is not well behind the scenes, which two weeks after that Brackley performance would be immensely concerning.

TW earned a chance to build his own team with those performances from Feb to April and that still stands for now. But many more repeats of today and that question will need to be revisited.
You maybe right,actually. I was going off the top of my head.

Personally I think you generally get a sense of the prevailing wind when things go south. At the moment it doesn't smell too good. I get that it's early to be talking about change but i must say that Monday looks awfully important just now.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Our midfield 3 of Hughes,Nicholson and Elliott were non existent and offered nothing.Felt sorry for Styche and Since who got zero support and were just getting fed on scraps, IMO Nicholson and Elliott are far too lightweight and too similar in style, Hughes is not mobile enough for a midfielder.Why the hell our 2 full backs need to attack so much considering the way we leak goals just baffles me, teams have this sussed and are cashing in.Is it too much to ask to keep 4 in our own half and leave the goalscoring to the rest...we have to try something, anything to stem the tide.Never ever left a game with 25 mins to go, we were that bad.Issues behind the scenes if true are a massive worry, over to you Tommy, really hope this can be rectified or we are in big trouble.Thank god we have a game on Monday to try and get back on track.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Meant Ainge not Since.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Heard a rumour Collins asked for a transfer at HT so Tommy decided it was better to sub him directly.

Wheatley was an obvious massive loss to midfield where unforced errors abounded, not to mention Thommo's aberration in giving away the penalty, little in the way of getting first to any 50/50 ball then lacking in pace and creation not to mention winning tackles.

Usual cockup from officials with Lino missing the ball well over the line so should have been a corner for us, compounded when they swept up to other end to smash it into our net.

Looked slightly better in last 30 minutes with Ainge filling in for injured Galbraith /Collins in back four, Thommo dropping into middle with Syers linking and pace of Saunders up front, who hit crossbar. Maddison was repeatedly left to deal with one on one situations and did well to keep the score down to three. Could easily have been 1-7 and Alty were made to look like World Cup winners, with about 50 of their fans going home laughing whilst 1400 Darlo fans wondered about what went so wrong.

Can't remember hearing anyone getting MOTM award, probably Glover or Dunn for keeping the bench warm as certainly no Darlo player on the pitch deserved it :roll:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:38 pm

tdk1 wrote:Well Collins just tweeted a one word message: "lies"
Then all is not well.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:44 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Then all is not well.
He's just deleted it.
Greg Norman

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:44 pm

For me TW earned the right to more time when he came in to a poorly performing squad. His levity seemed to be a natural antidote to the hard-nosed MG management philosophy. He then turned things round and all of us expected a good season. What has gone wrong, I'm not sure. Either there are splits behind the scenes or the players are just blowing off and feeling the pressure. What is telling is that David Johnston on more than one occasion has said he expects us to in the play-offs all season. If we fall behind, then what will happen?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:45 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Then all is not well.
He's just deleted it.
Too late

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:57 pm

So after today there are 3 possibilities.

1. We have the quality, but they are still to gel or underachieving/something has happened behind the scenes which is short term.
2. We have the quality but TW cannot manage them effectively
3. The players TW signed are not good enough for this league and he can't make effective signings.

Hope it's number 1.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:01 pm

The games at Brackley and Spenny suggested we have the players to compete in this league.

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:05 pm

This must be the poorest display that I've seen from Darlo in a long, long, time. It wasn't so much the defeat but the manner in which we lost - we went down with no fight at all. The team seemed slow, unfit and as though they had never played together before. Altrincham by contrast were competent, fluid and had a well executed game plan.

I'm unsure what has happened after two great games against Brackley and Spennymoor to the two abject performaces against Kidderminster last week and Altrincham today. I'll be at Ashton on Monday - will be interesting to see the team that Tommy puts out.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:07 pm

This league is plagued by inconsistency. That’s why these players are playing at this level...they can’t deliver week in week out. There are crazy results each week that you see much less of higher up the pyramid. Nobody would have bet on us winning by such a margin at Brackley of all places, based on their home form last term. We were awful till last Spring then went on a good run that saw us climb to mid-table