Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Altrincham Match thread

Post by bga » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 pm

en passant wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:I think for Ashton we need to do what we did post-Leamington last season - go 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1). That worked really well, there was a good transition between defence and attack, nobody really spoke about us being over-run and our form after Leamington was 7-4-3 IIRC.

Something along the lines of - Maddison; Trotman, Burn, Ainge, O’Hanlon; Thompson, Elliot, Syers, Hughes, Nicholson; Styche.

Elliot and Hughes as the two CM’s with Syers also dropping back-in but playing just off Styche. Thompson and Nicholson as the wide-players; and then your standard back four and goalkeeper.

That’s exactly how we set-up last season during our good run-in, apart from we had slightly different personnel. It looked something like - Pears; Trotman, Heaton, Galbraith, O’Hanlon; Thompson, Turnbull, Syers, Wheatley, Gillies; Styche.

For all having players like Styche, Ainge, Syers, Thompson and Nicholson gives you a great chance at one end, we need to start becoming resolute and organised. We’ve scored 10 goals in 6 games with 1 win to show for it. We’re going to places like Spennymoor and Kidderminster scoring 2 goals away from home and it’s not enough for 3pts.
Given the players that will probably be available for Monday I think your suggested team looks about the best that can be cobbled together with, as you say, similar tactics to what we played during the purple patch at the end of last season.

I have just watched the rerun of Match of the Day this morning and the Arsenal game review comments sounded very much as they might have said had they been watching Darlo. Arsenal got away with playing over committed full backs and a midfield that does not cover for them when they get forward, and Darlo will also get lucky playing all out attack from time to time, but it will lose us a lot of games against better organised sides like yesterday. It is clear that Arsenal have very good players and I dare say that none of their fans are suggesting that they can't be made into a better, more canny side (I mean the concept of boring one nil wins were what the Arsenal was once famous for). So I don't think the players who looked good in the matches at Spenny, Brackley, and Blyth shouldn't be able to produce better results. But no getting away from yesterday being woeful. The confidence damage done by the defeat at Kiddie can't be overlooked and there did seem to be a distinct hangover from that in the attitude of the players. We looked like a team under the cosh from the word go and long ball tactics seemed to be all we had to try and get a foothold in the game. Monday badly needs a more solid approach and some sort of result to steady the ship.

When Tommy first arrived the results and the tactics got everyone, including himself, to wonder if it could ever could be successful, but a bit of trial and error finally got a system that largely worked. It just feels as if we are going through a similar period of adjustment. Hopefully we will get there, and at least this year we have a lot more time to turn it around.
Regards your last paragraph what I don't understand is why if the "system" largely worked last year did he change it by the players he brought in over the Summer? Many of us have wondered how the 2 front men would play together, I think the jury is still out on this, though Styche looked very isolated (and dis-interested) yesterday when Ainge went into the defence.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 pm

bga wrote:
en passant wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:I think for Ashton we need to do what we did post-Leamington last season - go 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1). That worked really well, there was a good transition between defence and attack, nobody really spoke about us being over-run and our form after Leamington was 7-4-3 IIRC.

Something along the lines of - Maddison; Trotman, Burn, Ainge, O’Hanlon; Thompson, Elliot, Syers, Hughes, Nicholson; Styche.

Elliot and Hughes as the two CM’s with Syers also dropping back-in but playing just off Styche. Thompson and Nicholson as the wide-players; and then your standard back four and goalkeeper.

That’s exactly how we set-up last season during our good run-in, apart from we had slightly different personnel. It looked something like - Pears; Trotman, Heaton, Galbraith, O’Hanlon; Thompson, Turnbull, Syers, Wheatley, Gillies; Styche.

For all having players like Styche, Ainge, Syers, Thompson and Nicholson gives you a great chance at one end, we need to start becoming resolute and organised. We’ve scored 10 goals in 6 games with 1 win to show for it. We’re going to places like Spennymoor and Kidderminster scoring 2 goals away from home and it’s not enough for 3pts.
Given the players that will probably be available for Monday I think your suggested team looks about the best that can be cobbled together with, as you say, similar tactics to what we played during the purple patch at the end of last season.

I have just watched the rerun of Match of the Day this morning and the Arsenal game review comments sounded very much as they might have said had they been watching Darlo. Arsenal got away with playing over committed full backs and a midfield that does not cover for them when they get forward, and Darlo will also get lucky playing all out attack from time to time, but it will lose us a lot of games against better organised sides like yesterday. It is clear that Arsenal have very good players and I dare say that none of their fans are suggesting that they can't be made into a better, more canny side (I mean the concept of boring one nil wins were what the Arsenal was once famous for). So I don't think the players who looked good in the matches at Spenny, Brackley, and Blyth shouldn't be able to produce better results. But no getting away from yesterday being woeful. The confidence damage done by the defeat at Kiddie can't be overlooked and there did seem to be a distinct hangover from that in the attitude of the players. We looked like a team under the cosh from the word go and long ball tactics seemed to be all we had to try and get a foothold in the game. Monday badly needs a more solid approach and some sort of result to steady the ship.

When Tommy first arrived the results and the tactics got everyone, including himself, to wonder if it could ever could be successful, but a bit of trial and error finally got a system that largely worked. It just feels as if we are going through a similar period of adjustment. Hopefully we will get there, and at least this year we have a lot more time to turn it around.
Regards your last paragraph what I don't understand is why if the "system" largely worked last year did he change it by the players he brought in over the Summer? Many of us have wondered how the 2 front men would play together, I think the jury is still out on this, though Styche looked very isolated (and dis-interested) yesterday when Ainge went into the defence.
I think it's a case of good fortune the way it clicked after Leamington last season. The system worked with the players he had at his disposal at the time. Now if we had gone into this season with the same players, maybe this would have continued with everyone knowing their role within the squad although some freshing up may have been needed.

However, instead there have been wholesale changes to the squad and TW has deviated to a 4-4-2, seemingly to accommodate both Ainge and Styche. We lost a very good holding midfielder in Turnbull, which is probably the beginning of our defensive issues because it is leaving us too exposed to what I think is a weaker defence than last season, this includes the GK. It may just be that although we'd love TW to succeed he is just not going to cut it a. By not identifying and bringing in the right personnel to replace those deemed surplus to requirements and b. tactically he is just too naive with the players he has at his disposal.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:57 pm

divas wrote:You can talk about formations until the cows come home but it doesn’t make a blind bit of difference if players aren’t doing the basics
All successful teams plan from the back and work forward, get the defence nice and strong and you always have a chance.We are the opposite, get your attacking options sorted and then work backwards.We will never get a clean sheet the way our full backs bomb forward to support our wide men then putting pressure on the 2 centre backs, it’s frightening how much space we allow the opposition yet you never see us having that luxury.For me,I would instruct our back 4 to not venture beyond the halfway line and leave our attacking options to the remaining 5 or 6, needs must, it might not be pretty but 15 conceded calls for drastic changes in the way we are set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:15 pm

divas wrote:You can talk about formations until the cows come home but it doesn’t make a blind bit of difference if players aren’t doing the basics
Quite.

Possibly the most alarming element of yesterday for me was the attitude - we rarely looked like we gave a stuff and, when there was a bit of passion from someone, it was usually aimed at one of our own players in negative form.

Altrincham passed us off the park, had acres of room all over the pitch and were probably wondering how they didn't win 5/6/7-1 in the end.

It was a mile away from what I saw at Spenny or at home to Blyth.

To me, it looks as though training isn't working. Other sides look fitter than us and, at times, we don't look organised at all. Usually, if a player is barracking a team mate whilst defending a corner it's because those two players have different interpretations of what one of them should be doing. If everyone knows their job then this rarely happens.

I think calls for TW to go are way too premature, but consistency is a huge problem. I was cautiously optimistic after Spenny, Blyth and Brackely, but after last week and yesterday I'm not so sure we'll finish any higher than last season. We've been both breathtaking and abysmal in the space of six games, yet we only have one win.

Tomorrow's reaction will be interesting.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Steve foster in the running to oust the clueless one ...i said six games

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Seventynine wrote:Steve foster in the running to oust the clueless one ...i said six games
Wild rumour or any substance?

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:53 pm

im just spatula-ting , silly , why would the club get rid of someone...who...knows..what..hes..doing...keep the fath (:

good luck monday mr wright

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:30 pm

We were totally embarrassed through the middle of the park, it was laughable - then add in to that a centre half who spent the whole game running away from the ball. Totally bullied.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:34 pm

While I was not able to make the match, the interview with TW shows IMO that he is really hurting from that result. The players will also now hopefully be aware that if they don't turn up, (or can't be bothered on the day?), they will get stuffed in this league. I don't go with this "is a poor team" as I have already seen some excellent football this season so we have the characters to deliver, although the defence needs to be organised, (we miss a leader at the back to organise and direct, which may have to fall on Maddison if the others don't step up - although temporary Ainge would provide that leadership I am sure, if he has to cover at centre half).
It is far too early to be calling for people to be sacked, and we as fans will really need to get behind the team when things go badly from now on, as this is a game where confidence plays a big part and the boo's will have told the players fans were not happy, so more booing may be counter productive for the team and us fans.

Roll on Monday and "Up the Quakers"

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Seventynine wrote:im just spatula-ting , silly , why would the club get rid of someone...who...knows..what..hes..doing...keep the fath (:

good luck monday mr wright
I....like....your....style....of.....posting

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:20 pm

quakerman wrote:
Seventynine wrote:Steve foster in the running to oust the clueless one ...i said six games

Definitely substance. Steve Foster could do a job in the back four without a shadow of doubt. Sign him up I say.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:03 pm

en passant wrote:

Blimey that's the first time I've heard us be compared to Arsenal. Watched the Arsenal game on MOTD and the game looked nothing like what I watched yesterday. At least they created loads of chances, which we didn't until the last few minutes.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:40 pm

quakerste wrote:
quakerman wrote:

Definitely substance. Steve Foster could do a job in the back four without a shadow of doubt. Sign him up I say.
Amazing, six games into the season and there are already rumours of replacements for TW.

The board have invested in the management, as have the fans via boost-the-budget. I’d hazard a guess and say that TW will get a little longer than 6 - 8 - 10 games, as a club we need stability and DJ won’t make rash decisions.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Who's saying anything about ousting anybody. I merely stated Foster could do a job in that back 4 as centre half.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:19 pm

quakerste wrote:Who's saying anything about ousting anybody. I merely stated Foster could do a job in that back 4 as centre half.
Who’s saying anything about ousting anybody? Er, Seventynine?

Foster is also 44 in December, so I don’t think he could do a job in our back 4.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
quakerste wrote:Who's saying anything about ousting anybody. I merely stated Foster could do a job in that back 4 as centre half.

Foster is also 44 in December, so I don’t think he could do a job in our back 4.
Have to admit he looked good in the legends game and he certainly didn't look his age.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:

Have to admit he looked good in the legends game and he certainly didn't look his age.
Yep, I’m sure he did, playing against the Legends, who are also around the same age.

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Quite.

Possibly the most alarming element of yesterday for me was the attitude - we rarely looked like we gave a stuff and, when there was a bit of passion from someone, it was usually aimed at one of our own players in negative form.

Altrincham passed us off the park, had acres of room all over the pitch and were probably wondering how they didn't win 5/6/7-1 in the end.

It was a mile away from what I saw at Spenny or at home to Blyth.

To me, it looks as though training isn't working. Other sides look fitter than us and, at times, we don't look organised at all. Usually, if a player is barracking a team mate whilst defending a corner it's because those two players have different interpretations of what one of them should be doing. If everyone knows their job then this rarely happens.

I think calls for TW to go are way too premature, but consistency is a huge problem. I was cautiously optimistic after Spenny, Blyth and Brackely, but after last week and yesterday I'm not so sure we'll finish any higher than last season. We've been both breathtaking and abysmal in the space of six games, yet we only have one win.

Tomorrow's reaction will be interesting.

Pretty much my view too.

Alty's short corner routine where they were repeatedly 2 v 1 highlighted either a lack of interest or a lack of fitness , or both.

And I'll throw this into the mix ; Gary Brown , Scotty, Hunter , Portas , Turnbull et al who we thought had reached their level and could take us no further due to their footballing limitations - do we really think they'd have thrown in the towel and rolled over so meekly ?

I completely buy into the fact that we are fan owned and will have to cut our cloth with regards to the quality of player we can attract - if Spenny, South Shields etc pick up the stellar signings then so be it, but what I can't accept is good/bad/indifferent players not putting in a shift.

That is what I saw yesterday. Tommy HAS to nip it in the bud pronto

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Could never understand why we released Portas, he should have been offered at least a short term contract to prove his fitness ,would be far better than our 3 midfielder yesterday.Badly need more leaders in the team, never thought we would be missing the likes of Browney and Turnbull after only 6 games but we are too lightweight in a very physical league IMO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:01 pm

what....is...spatula..ting? Is that when our players argue?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:19 pm

What a fucking idiot
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:22 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Could never understand why we released Portas, he should have been offered at least a short term contract to prove his fitness ,would be far better than our 3 midfielder yesterday.Badly need more leaders in the team, never thought we would be missing the likes of Browney and Turnbull after only 6 games but we are too lightweight in a very physical league IMO.

Tom chose to move on, simple as that. What is it with our fanbase and obssession over former players, get a grip
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:24 pm

quakersam wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Could never understand why we released Portas, he should have been offered at least a short term contract to prove his fitness ,would be far better than our 3 midfielder yesterday.Badly need more leaders in the team, never thought we would be missing the likes of Browney and Turnbull after only 6 games but we are too lightweight in a very physical league IMO.

Tom chose to move on, simple as that. What is it with our fanbase and obssession over former players, get a grip
Didn't he also go before Turnbull? So probably thought he wouldn't get a game anyway

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:33 pm

On reflection, inconsistency seems to be the problem.

Good performances V Blyth and Spennymoor/woeful yesterday.

We need to get a grip, starting tomorrow.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 pm

quakersam wrote:

So you are saying he preferred West Auckland over us....do me a favour.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Biggest concerns are:
-clearly the defence
-tactics, as I’m not sure what ours were at times, we seemed to hoof it to Ainge a lot (which MG was highly criticised for) and expecting Ainge to create something out of nothing
-their number 10. This guy was an average player but he was afforded the freedom of Blackwell Meadows ALL game. My biggest concern is why we didn’t learn from it. Time and time again he wasn’t picked up. Did our defenders not see this, did our midfield, and worst of all did TW or AW not see it. That worried me the most. Curzon were getting dominated by us but they soon learnt (within 20 mins) and adapted their game and went on to deservedly won by exposing our flanks. I’m not a massive critic of TW especially because I think some of the signings look good on paper, but I have to question him tactically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
quakersam wrote:

So you are saying he preferred West Auckland over us....do me a favour.

That's not what he's saying at all. Anyone can see that.

What quakersam is saying is that Portas didn't believe he stood a chance of regular first team football, so chose to leave.

For me, Portas is bang average for this level. I don't believe he's better than Elliott or Wheatley, and I bet TW thought the same. So Portas would have had the same problems in terms of getting regular football.

There's also a great irony is the same people who slagged off Turnbull for leaving now starting to say: "Gosh, our midfield looks weaker now, and we don't have as many leaders in the squad."
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am

quakersam wrote:

People near me calling for Heaton back on loan. All we have to do is ask, it would seem, us being Darlington. Stockdale not getting a game at the moment. Let's get him back.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
quakersam wrote:

People near me calling for Heaton back on loan. All we have to do is ask, it would seem, us being Darlington. Stockdale not getting a game at the moment. Let's get him back.
A loan agreement should have been put forward considering the amount of bench warming he has done recently. Forget Stockdale he wouldn't return to this level.

As for the 'obsession of past players', the reason for it is because when players are moved on it's the belief that those brought in to replace are better. At the moment it is not clear that Maddison for Pears, Burn for Heaton, Hughes for Turnbull, Henshall for Gillies (as examples) are adequate replacements. Therefore, you do sometimes have to question the manager's judgement and clearly TW is under pressure now to justify this.

A defeat today and I think we may as well be aiming for 19th than any belief of the playoffs.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
quakersam wrote:

A loan agreement should have been put forward considering the amount of bench warming he has done recently. Forget Stockdale he wouldn't return to this level.

As for the 'obsession of past players', the reason for it is because when players are moved on it's the belief that those brought in to replace are better. At the moment it is not clear that Maddison for Pears, Burn for Heaton, Hughes for Turnbull, Henshall for Gillies (as examples) are adequate replacements. Therefore, you do sometimes have to question the manager's judgement and clearly TW is under pressure now to justify this.

A defeat today and I think we may as well be aiming for 19th than any belief of the playoffs.
Totally agree on your point regarding the players Tommy released and the replacements he brought in.Turnbull and Portas in my opinion are better than Hughes and Elliott and unless Henshall improves with fitness is he any better than Gillies.