Ashton United on Monday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddie-rowles
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ashton United on Monday

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:43 am

Draw was a fair result, Very happy with Syers and Nicholson performances, however Saunders on left wing did not work for me, he continually kept looking at bench for help. Ohanlon who is highly rated by TW was poor defending rarely stopping a cross or making a tackle until last minute. Trotman had an Ok game but again appears to get caught out of position. Styche just needs to look up and make a simple pass as opposed to taking on 3 defenders everytime but a lot better than the shambles on Saturday.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:50 am

jjljks wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:Ok how about Tez at LB and O’Hanlon at LW until Henshall is fit again, keeping Ainge at CB in the short term as you say. I’d still recall Vaulks asap...he’s never let us down and it’s a waste of everybody’s time having him warming the bench at Whitby
Sound idea, although does depend on a quick return by Tez from injury. O'Hanlon could be the kind of ball winner we need in midfield. Wonder if Whitby would swap Collins for Vaulks? ;)
O’Hanlon? Ball winner in midfield?

Daidy

Post by Daidy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:57 am

eddie-rowles wrote:Draw was a fair result, Very happy with Syers and Nicholson performances, however Saunders on left wing did not work for me, he continually kept looking at bench for help. Ohanlon who is highly rated by TW was poor defending rarely stopping a cross or making a tackle until last minute. Trotman had an Ok game but again appears to get caught out of position. Styche just needs to look up and make a simple pass as opposed to taking on 3 defenders everytime but a lot better than the shambles on Saturday.
Would agree with most of that, particularly O'Hanlon who in that second half was done on multiple occasions (how their striker didn't manage to tap the squared ball in from about two yards out baffled me from where I was stood).

In the first half though I thought Syers and Nicholson were consistently caught high up the pitch and a simple out ball in behind them took both of them out of the game, leaving Elliot and the back line exposed. Not sure whether that was TW telling them to push on or not but they definitely seemed to sort it out in the second half, showed a lot more discipline and that enabled Nicholson to flourish who was excellent in the final 45.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:34 pm

Thought both CBs were very good.

Some of our players looked very young compared to some of theirs who looked like Rugby players.We lost the midfield battles first half in the main.

The result was much better than I expected, the pitch is a real throwback to lower league clubs we have played at on our way up and a leveller as regards skill.

Ashton have thrown away 2 x 2-0 leads over the weekend so must be gutted.

The next 2 home games that I thought might be easy fixtures look anything but now based on the current table.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:17 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:On a side note, I know it's only 7 games in but Chorley are 15pts clear of us at the top and 6pts ahead of 2nd. At the moment positively romping away and shows how far away we are in relative terms!
I’d never expect us to be close to a team with a 100% record after the run of fixtures we had at the start of the season!

The concerning thing for me is that we are struggling against the teams in the bottom half. It makes me nervous that he Brackley win was more to do with them being on an off day. It’s feistratijg that we are making some quite poor sides look good.

It’s been mentioned that we are coming unstuck from high balls in the box. I feel like a big dominant CB is what we are missing so maybe Ainge playing in defence alongside Galbraith is the best solution at least until Maddison gets more confident to dominate our penalty area.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:52 am

Watching the highlights. We still conceded a crazy amount of chances to them. They should have been out of sight before our equaliser even taking into account the Trotman Penalty shout.

Can't say I agree with Tommys assessment we can be content with our work. If you have our levels of ambition (playoffs) then games V Ashton and Altrincham are ones you'd be looking to win. 1 point from 6 on a bank holiday weekend when he wanted a reaction from Kidderminster is not satisfactory.

Don't think much will change until we change the formation and afford our defence some extra protection. Still think 4-2-3-1 gives us a better chance of winning football matches at the minute. Onwards to Alfreton and the challenges of handling Tom Denton.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:49 am

JE93 wrote:Onwards to Alfreton and the challenges of handling Tom Denton.
Very wary of famous last words here but Denton is tall...but that is about his only characteristic worth writing home about.

Stats on players seem to be quite hard to come by but I'd assume Denton is about a 10 goal a season striker on the most part.

He is good at giving away free kicks.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 am

lo36789 wrote:
JE93 wrote:Onwards to Alfreton and the challenges of handling Tom Denton.
Very wary of famous last words here but Denton is tall...but that is about his only characteristic worth writing home about.

Stats on players seem to be quite hard to come by but I'd assume Denton is about a 10 goal a season striker on the most part.

He is good at giving away free kicks.
Second top scorer in the division with 6 goals in 7 games.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 am

JE93 wrote:Watching the highlights. We still conceded a crazy amount of chances to them. They should have been out of sight before our equaliser even taking into account the Trotman Penalty shout.

Can't say I agree with Tommys assessment we can be content with our work. If you have our levels of ambition (playoffs) then games V Ashton and Altrincham are ones you'd be looking to win. 1 point from 6 on a bank holiday weekend when he wanted a reaction from Kidderminster is not satisfactory.

Don't think much will change until we change the formation and afford our defence some extra protection. Still think 4-2-3-1 gives us a better chance of winning football matches at the minute. Onwards to Alfreton and the challenges of handling Tom Denton.
To be honest I've reset my expectations for this season given our weaknesses and the strengths of other clubs. I wasn't expecting us to be so fragile when on the back foot. Hopefully TW will know how to toughen things up because if we carried on shipping goals at this rate we would finish the season with around 100 against us. Overall we look well, well short of being a playoff team... we're just not strong enough or organised enough and it's not just because we have had some tricky fixtures. It's about our inherent weakness that are clear to see. Our six points from a possible 21 and alarming goals against column has got me finding the teams that will finish below us after ticking off Nuneaton as doing a North Ferriby this time around.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:15 am

Lo occasionally comes out with something that is total nonsense.

Firstly he's making, by his own admission, assumptions based on the past not present. The main fact is Denton is on form this season, while our defence is leaking more than John Prescott out jogging. To imply Denton isn't much to worry about based on this, is flawed.

Secondly, lo admits he's commenting based on limited data, so doesn't know the full picture. So any conclusions drawn are by their very nature flawed.

Finally, lo is assuming Denton scored those goals during a 40/50 games season. Actually, Denton has suffered with injuries, so his goal per game ratio is a lot better than initial stats bear out.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:45 am

LoidLucan wrote:
JE93 wrote:Watching the highlights. We still conceded a crazy amount of chances to them. They should have been out of sight before our equaliser even taking into account the Trotman Penalty shout.

To be honest I've reset my expectations for this season given our weaknesses and the strengths of other clubs. I wasn't expecting us to be so fragile when on the back foot. Hopefully TW will know how to toughen things up because if we carried on shipping goals at this rate we would finish the season with around 100 against us. Overall we look well, well short of being a playoff team... we're just not strong enough or organised enough and it's not just because we have had some tricky fixtures. It's about our inherent weakness that are clear to see. Our six points from a possible 21 and alarming goals against column has got me finding the teams that will finish below us after ticking off Nuneaton as doing a North Ferriby this time around.
My thoughts exactly. I think Ashton will be down there too. I'm personally OK with that, but a mid-table slog and poor season will a)reduce the crowds and b) reduce people's confidence in Tommy after the pre-season hype meaning that people will probably be less inclined to contribute to BTB, meaning a further reduction in budget, then quality etc. David Johnston has on a few occasions talked about a loss of momentum leading to a slow vicious circle (as did MG but I didn't want to give him the credit of saying anything remotely profound). We need to go on a run and I feel that much of the pre-season optimism has diminished. At the final whistle on Monday despite pulling 2 goals back I was saying that really we needed to have beaten Ashton. Maybe I'm being overly negative, maybe realist, maybe a bit of both.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:47 am

Plus, Gramps, this is Darlo, and in-form strikers are genetically predisposed to score against us. I lost count of the amount of times I bored people at a beer festival on Saturday prior to 3pm that Hulme would score against us.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am

I'd be fine with mid-table, if Tommy Wright and the club hadn't said that with the amount we raised for the budget we should be able to achieve a play-off finish.

If it becomes clear by, say, Christmas, that this isn't likely to be the case, then I would be less happy.
Vodka_Vic wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I think Ashton will be down there too. I'm personally OK with that, but a mid-table slog and poor season will a)reduce the crowds and b) reduce people's confidence in Tommy after the pre-season hype meaning that people will probably be less inclined to contribute to BTB, meaning a further reduction in budget, then quality etc. David Johnston has on a few occasions talked about a loss of momentum leading to a slow vicious circle (as did MG but I didn't want to give him the credit of saying anything remotely profound). We need to go on a run and I feel that much of the pre-season optimism has diminished. At the final whistle on Monday despite pulling 2 goals back I was saying that really we needed to have beaten Ashton. Maybe I'm being overly negative, maybe realist, maybe a bit of both.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 am

I guess Spyman that's the crux of the matter. People contributed towards BTB in the hope/expectation that they were supporting a play-off push. If this doesn't happen then we can't really use this call-to-arms again and I think people would be much less inclined to contribute.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:I guess Spyman that's the crux of the matter. People contributed towards BTB in the hope/expectation that they were supporting a play-off push. If this doesn't happen then we can't really use this call-to-arms again and I think people would be much less inclined to contribute.

Can it not be used the other way?

ie to say even more needs to be raised as the amount raised last year was not sufficient to produce a promotion chasing side (if that proved to be the outcome of the season).

Whether that is possible will depend on the view people have of the ability of TW. If he is seen to have ability but lacking financial resources, then a bigger fundraising campaign may be seen by fans to be needed and possible to obtain

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am

Correct on all counts Spen, but I'm not sure that the average Darlo fan would see it that way, especially as DJ has called the Budget 'more than adequate' for a promotion push. It may be that if we underachieve then the call-to -arms will possibly be along the lines of 'we undrestimated the strength of this league and need to raise at least 100k' but the extra fans we are hoping to,get on board with BTB will not contribute if, as you say, they don't trust that TW will spend it wisely.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 am

Spyman wrote:I'd be fine with mid-table, if Tommy Wright and the club hadn't said that with the amount we raised for the budget we should be able to achieve a play-off finish.

If it becomes clear by, say, Christmas, that this isn't likely to be the case, then I would be less happy.
In all honesty the way the league is now you are in with a shout of play offs right up until March unless you are completely in the relegation zone, as last season showed us.

I would accept mid-table if we finish the season without really flirting with relegation, have a small profit to finish with and hopefully a little bit of cup run/flirt with the playoffs.

I think Wright has signed some reasonable players but they need to settle down and Wright needs to work out his formations/strengths/weaknesses, also the small squad when we have injuries/suspensions leaves us struggling.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Lo occasionally comes out with something that is total nonsense.

Firstly he's making, by his own admission, assumptions based on the past not present. The main fact is Denton is on form this season, while our defence is leaking more than John Prescott out jogging. To imply Denton isn't much to worry about based on this, is flawed.

Secondly, lo admits he's commenting based on limited data, so doesn't know the full picture. So any conclusions drawn are by their very nature flawed.

Finally, lo is assuming Denton scored those goals during a 40/50 games season. Actually, Denton has suffered with injuries, so his goal per game ratio is a lot better than initial stats bear out.
I’m basing it on the 8-10 games I have seen him play over the past couple of seasons to be honest and he was pretty awful. He’s big but I’ve seen him fluff countless chances, his link up play was awful as in Halifax only threatened when they by passed him and he gave away a foul 80% of the time he was challenging with a defender (pulls defenders shirt down).

The only way he is effective is if you try and fight fire with fire and foul him back because then no-one gets anything and he inevitably wins the ball.

I tried to look for stats to back it up but all I found was 10 goals in 31 for Halifax (3 on his debut) and allegedly 31 goals in 6 games for North Ferriby which is the point I questioned the data.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 pm

Great interview with Whitey on Twitter...very honest appraisal and rightly full of praise for Ainge playing CB and his organisational/leadership qualities. He made Burn look much more solid IMO. Problem is that he was signed as a forward/wants to play as a forward. Whitey inferring that we need to sign another CB with those qualities if Ainge is to return to the forward line as reading between the lines Burn and Collins haven’t delivered. Any suggestions?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Spyman wrote:I'd be fine with mid-table, if Tommy Wright and the club hadn't said that with the amount we raised for the budget we should be able to achieve a play-off finish.

Vodka_Vic wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

My problem isn't winning and losing games, that happens in the course of a season. I certainly won't be writing a season off in August. The frustration comes from the fact that, on balance, I think Tommy's signings have been good. The squad represents one which can challenge for the 5th - 7th play off places on paper. But, similar to last season when he persisted with 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 for too long when it wasn't working in his opening games. Tommy has got his mind stuck in a 4-4-2 because he has signed Ainge over the summer and is juggling players around when it's the formation that is leaving us exposed. Curzon, Kidderminster and Altrincham cut through our midfield at will. But we didn't react. We didn't clog the midfield and make them try and find another way to beat us. We simply persisted in the hope our strikers scored more than theirs.

Other managers are doing better jobs with worse budgets. Mark Bower at BPA, John Flanagan at Curzon Ashton.

What I want to see from us in the next 5 games is to set up so as to not concede. 4-2-3-1. Objective, we don't concede more than 1 in a game, if we do we have failed, no matter the result if we concede more than 1 we have failed. We have the attacking players to create something at the other end. Styche, Thompson, Syers they will make chances. We just need to make sure when we score two or more goals that which we have done on 4 occasions this season, that is enough to win the game.

------------------------- Maddison ------------------------------

Trotman -------- Ainge ---------- Galbraith --------- O'Hanlon

------------------ Elliott ------- Wheatley/Syers ---------------

Thompson ------------ Syers / Nicholson ----------- Henshall / Nicholson

----------------------------- Styche ---------------------------

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Short term the immediate priority has to be to shore up the defence and make us more difficult to play against which will hopefully stop us shipping goals.

At the moment in games we look like we will concede every time a team attacks us.

As for Saturday, Denton will be a huge threat. Him and Alfreton manager Billy Heath have a way of playing which means they are physical and direct. In the last few years they have got North Ferriby and Halifax promoted playing aggressively and directly, and I wouldn't bet against them getting promoted again this season with Alfreton. They know this division like the back of their hand and will likely be right up there this season.

They won 1-0 at Stockport on Saturday and the goal was a classic Denton goal, the style they play is not the most pleasing on the eye but if we don't defend better and match them for workrate and physicality they'll turn us over on Saturday.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Agree.

We have given Wright the budget he believes he needs to deliver a play-off challenge (I won't hold him to delivering playoffs, as all sorts of circumstances can hinder that).

Looking at the calibre of player we've brought in, most agree this squad on paper should challenge - so if it doesn't, the fault lies squarely with Wright.

If we end up some way off the playoffs, he's either underestimated the funds needed to challenge, he's misspent the budget, or he can't implement and communicate a system to his players.

Hopefully the above will prove to be conjecture and he'll find the right formula to get the most from this squad. It does sound like we're still on the look out for a dominant central defender to free Ainge up again.
JE93 wrote:

Vodka_Vic wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

My problem isn't winning and losing games, that happens in the course of a season. I certainly won't be writing a season off in August. The frustration comes from the fact that, on balance, I think Tommy's signings have been good. The squad represents one which can challenge for the 5th - 7th play off places on paper. But, similar to last season when he persisted with 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 for too long when it wasn't working in his opening games. Tommy has got his mind stuck in a 4-4-2 because he has signed Ainge over the summer and is juggling players around when it's the formation that is leaving us exposed. Curzon, Kidderminster and Altrincham cut through our midfield at will. But we didn't react. We didn't clog the midfield and make them try and find another way to beat us. We simply persisted in the hope our strikers scored more than theirs.

Other managers are doing better jobs with worse budgets. Mark Bower at BPA, John Flanagan at Curzon Ashton.

What I want to see from us in the next 5 games is to set up so as to not concede. 4-2-3-1. Objective, we don't concede more than 1 in a game, if we do we have failed, no matter the result if we concede more than 1 we have failed. We have the attacking players to create something at the other end. Styche, Thompson, Syers they will make chances. We just need to make sure when we score two or more goals that which we have done on 4 occasions this season, that is enough to win the game.

------------------------- Maddison ------------------------------

Trotman -------- Ainge ---------- Galbraith --------- O'Hanlon

------------------ Elliott ------- Wheatley/Syers ---------------

Thompson ------------ Syers / Nicholson ----------- Henshall / Nicholson

----------------------------- Styche ---------------------------
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Not sure there is one formation which we should play against every time and each team. Ideally, we should have a default which helps keep a clean sheet but also have enough intelligence about the opposition to adapt & change if it isn't working.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Yes, but in Tommy's eyes that means we'll play like this..

------------------------------- Maddison ------------------------------

-------------------------Ainge ---------- Galbraith-------------

----------------------------------------

-------------------------Elliott---------Wheatley

Trotman-----Thompson-----Styche-----Syers-----Nicholson-----O'Hanlon

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Ahh, the famous 2 2 6 formation :crazy:

Here's a little thing I very quickly found on the internet about it.

Quote Sam Tighe ... "we'll start with the first formation that was commonly accepted by the masses—the 2-3-5.

No, you didn't misread that. Check it again—it says 2-3-5. English football aficionados were all in agreement that this was the de facto most solid formation back in 1880.

Two at the back, five up front.

The Wrexham Druids took it a step further during the 1878 Welsh Cup final by playing a 2-2-6, only to find out that, six years earlier, England had played a 1-2-7 against Scotland. Unreal.

What's it good for then?

In modern-day terms, nothing. These games were full of goals even with the old offside laws in place, but defensively, this formation is—for obvious reasons—an abomination."
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:10 pm

lo36789 wrote: I’m basing it on the 8-10 games I have seen him play over the past couple of seasons to be honest and he was pretty awful. He’s big but I’ve seen him fluff countless chances, his link up play was awful as in Halifax only threatened when they by passed him and he gave away a foul 80% of the time he was challenging with a defender (pulls defenders shirt down).

The only way he is effective is if you try and fight fire with fire and foul him back because then no-one gets anything and he inevitably wins the ball.

I tried to look for stats to back it up but all I found was 10 goals in 31 for Halifax (3 on his debut) and allegedly 31 goals in 6 games for North Ferriby which is the point I questioned the data.
Right, so you only ever base things on what you've seen, and ignore all other stats since. Cool, gotcha. It's a ridiculous way of forming opinions, but at least you're honest. I prefer to look at a wider selection of data (if you look hard enough, you'll see he roughly averages one goal in three, with a bit of variation), and place greater emphasis on a player's recent form.

You suggested Denton wasn't that much of a threat and didn't have much to his game. Yet he's the second top scorer in the league and in very good form. Meanwhile, we have the worst defence in the division, conceding on average more than two goals a game.

Your suggestion that Denton wasn't much of a threat is therefore flawed.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:44 am

The formation discussion took me back to 4-2-4. Oh the excitement of an empty midfield! Four forwards all charging at once. Denton and Styche would have had a field day.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:22 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Ahh, the famous 2 2 6 formation :crazy:

Quote Sam Tighe ... "we'll start with the first formation that was commonly accepted by the masses—the 2-3-5.

No, you didn't misread that. Check it again—it says 2-3-5. English football aficionados were all in agreement that this was the de facto most solid formation back in 1880.

The Wrexham Druids took it a step further during the 1878 Welsh Cup final by playing a 2-2-6, only to find out that, six years earlier, England had played a 1-2-7 against Scotland. Unreal.

What's it good for then?

In modern-day terms, nothing. These games were full of goals even with the old offside laws in place, but defensively, this formation is—for obvious reasons—an abomination."
We used to play 235 at school, you would have , left back, right back, left half centre half right half, left wing inside left centre forward inside right and right wing. That was in the mid 60s.
I now feel really old. :D

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:53 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Ahh, the famous 2 2 6 formation :crazy:

What's it good for then?

We used to play 235 at school, you would have , left back, right back, left half centre half right half, left wing inside left centre forward inside right and right wing. That was in the mid 60s.
I now feel really old. :D
Yes,I remember paying outside right for the school at that time... Happy days..
I think it started to change around 1966.. Think I am correct in saying that Alf Ramsey's world cup winning team were dubbed the wingless wonders at the time.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:05 am

Perhaps teams need to go back to the proven World Cup winning format of 4-3-3