Darlington V Alfreton Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Alfreton Match Thread

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 am

Going to be a tough ask with the injuries we have picked up, could be without. Collins Galbraith O’Hanlon Henshall and with Wheatley still suspended, hopefully some will come through fitness tests today.
Not sure what the line up would look like. Alfreton look in good form so like I said a tough ask.
Last edited by Darlopartisan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PierremontQuaker03

Re: Darlington V Alfreton

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:25 am

Very surprised Tommy hasn’t brought a defender in on loan, he says it’s just for one game but then when Styche is away for international duty, we will need Ainge up front. The squad is very thin on numbers, but that’s suppose trying to live within a budget.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:02 am

With our injuries and the way Alfreton are playing it will be very tough to get a result today.Hope I am wrong though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 am

If darlo play anything like the first half of Monday, s game we will be hammered, however if darlo carry on as they played the second half of Monday we definitely have a chance of getting something from the game. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:29 am

onewayup wrote:If darlo play anything like the first half of Monday, s game we will be hammered, however if darlo carry on as they played the second half of Monday we definitely have a chance of getting something from the game. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.
And if they play like last Saturday it will be a cricket score!

JE93

Re: Darlington V Alfreton Match Thread

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Non of the above players passed fitness tests.

Team is: Maddison, Trotman, Ainge, Burn, Elliott, Hughes, Syers, Nicholson, Thompson, Saunders, Styche.

Subs: Glover, Bancroft, youth, youth, youth.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Excellent start...0-1, 70 seconds. :clap:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:54 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Excellent start...0-1, 70 seconds. :clap:
On the bright side we kept a clean sheet for 88mn 50sec minimum. Shame we could not score at all :(

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:13 pm

I don't wanna go on about today's result, as I will go on and on.

However for me, the home record has been getting on my nerves. After today, I did some quick research.

Since moving into BM, home game results as follows;

PLAYED: 38
WON: 17 - 45%
LOST: 15 - 39%
DRAW: 6 - 16%

But hey ho everyone. This week we had injuries. So we can just blame that instead.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:18 pm

DarloDean wrote:I don't wanna go on about today's result, as I will go on and on.

However for me, the home record has been getting on my nerves. After today, I did some quick research.

Since moving into BM, home game results as follows;

PLAYED: 38
WON: 17 - 45%
LOST: 15 - 39%
DRAW: 6 - 16%

But hey ho everyone. This week we had injuries. So we can just blame that instead.
Embarrassing to not even have a 50% win rate.

Our record at Heritage Park in this league was 6-2-2

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:26 pm

We now haven't won any of our last seven home matches and the size of the crowd is dropping. It seems an awfully long time ago since we won in the snow against North Ferriby. Somehow TW has to sort this out.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:30 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We now haven't won any of our last seven home matches and the size of the crowd is dropping. It seems an awfully long time ago since we won in the snow against North Ferriby. Somehow TW hasn't to sort this out.
Maybe blind optimism, but we will win next week.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:34 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We now haven't won any of our last seven home matches and the size of the crowd is dropping. It seems an awfully long time ago since we won in the snow against North Ferriby. Somehow TW hasn't to sort this out.
Been drinking ??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:40 pm

No but it's driving me that way.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:13 pm

If we have most of our missing players back next week, Galbraith,Wheatley,and O'Hanlon and we fail to beat Telford, then questions will need answering.Personally we are short of strong characters and leaders in our side, this league is as tough as it has ever been and IMO the bulk of the players Tommy moved on have not been replaced well enough.Big game next Saturday.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:55 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:If we have most of our missing players back next week, Galbraith,Wheatley,and O'Hanlon and we fail to beat Telford, then questions will need answering.Personally we are short of strong characters and leaders in our side, this league is as tough as it has ever been and IMO the bulk of the players Tommy moved on have not been replaced well enough.Big game next Saturday.

Exactly this, he can hide behind a depleted squad to an extent. However there will be no excuses next week. In my opinion it is almost win or bust!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:51 pm

What’s the bust if we don’t win then?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:55 am

divas wrote:What’s the bust if we don’t win then?
It would be time to seriously consider his tenure at the club.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:06 am

And replace him with who? Remind me of that long list of contenders after MG’s departure...Alun Armstrong? Chris bloody Hardy??? Do us a favour. We’re at our ceiling in this league as a fan-funded club. We have a smaller squad and have to accept that just because we used to be a league club, we’re not a hugely attractive proposition for every footballer looking for a club. After a long struggle I’ve accepted that I will in all likelihood never see us returning to League 2 in my lifetime..I’m ok with this. We ain’t gonna challenge at the top of this league with 1400 Home crowds and no sugar daddy and would die again if we were promoted IMO. I say give him and Alan the time they need

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:18 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:If we have most of our missing players back next week, Galbraith,Wheatley,and O'Hanlon and we fail to beat Telford, then questions will need answering.Personally we are short of strong characters and leaders in our side, this league is as tough as it has ever been and IMO the bulk of the players Tommy moved on have not been replaced well enough.Big game next Saturday.

Exactly this, he can hide behind a depleted squad to an extent. However there will be no excuses next week. In my opinion it is almost win or bust!
Win or bust next week?!

You are off your chebs.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:24 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:And replace him with who? Remind me of that long list of contenders after MG’s departure...Alun Armstrong? Chris bloody Hardy??? Do us a favour. We’re at our ceiling in this league as a fan-funded club. We have a smaller squad and have to accept that just because we used to be a league club, we’re not a hugely attractive proposition for every footballer looking for a club. After a long struggle I’ve accepted that I will in all likelihood never see us returning to League 2 in my lifetime..I’m ok with this. We ain’t gonna challenge at the top of this league with 1400 Home crowds and no sugar daddy and would die again if we were promoted IMO. I say give him and Alan the time they need
Well it's maybe a case of if giving them time...if we can accept a drop down to the Evo-stick then. As I am doubting their ability to maintain our status in this league. There may not be a long list of managers but expectation is to at least maintain this level comfortably and at the moment this is seriously at risk. I mean right now we are miles off looking like candidates for the playoffs, we are underachieving and this falls at the manager's feet!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:28 am

Beano wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:

Win or bust next week?!

You are off your chebs.
No I'm not and I think you'll find there are few who think the same. Two more matches and we are a quarter of the season in you know! Even picking up 6 points from the next two we would still be looking, at the rate we are going at, 48 points that puts us in line with relegation.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:40 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:And replace him with who? Remind me of that long list of contenders after MG’s departure...Alun Armstrong? Chris bloody Hardy??? Do us a favour. We’re at our ceiling in this league as a fan-funded club. We have a smaller squad and have to accept that just because we used to be a league club, we’re not a hugely attractive proposition for every footballer looking for a club. After a long struggle I’ve accepted that I will in all likelihood never see us returning to League 2 in my lifetime..I’m ok with this. We ain’t gonna challenge at the top of this league with 1400 Home crowds and no sugar daddy and would die again if we were promoted IMO. I say give him and Alan the time they need
A lot depends on how 'sustainable' we can be. If we can access other sources of funding, such as the 4G pitches and our own clubhouse, David Johnston reckons we can have the budget to compete at the next level. At the moment also we have nowhere near reached our peak commercially, which is why he's advertised for a couple of people to drive up sales revenue. His interview back in May detailed his plans. He also thinks we can increase our crowds and percentage contribution of the fan base to BTB from 33 to 40 percent at least.
It sounds good, but unfortunately a lot of it is based on uncertainty and growth. If we stagnate in mid-table to lower mid-table then crowds and percentage contribution to BTB will not increase. DJ has said in an interview that this mustn't be allowed to happen. The 4g plans may have been scuppered by the rugby village where they have been given the green light for this facility despite us having been given the verbal go ahead for our own project. Also, how would all this be funded? Once the rugby village scenario is put to bed one way or another then at least we will know where we stand more.
The Academy will also be good for us I'm sure but again will take time to come to fruition and right now too many people don't have the patience for this. The ideal scenario is to sniff around the play-offs for a couple of years whilst building our revenue streams and Academy up so that we can be more sustainable. DJ knows this and I'm sure it's not lost on people that a few times in interviews he has mentioned 'We must be in the play-offs all season given the budget we delivered to Tommy'. How he responds to the fact that the opposite has come to pass I'm not sure.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:51 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
A lot depends on how 'sustainable' we can be. If we can access other sources of funding, such as the 4G pitches and our own clubhouse, David Johnston reckons we can have the budget to compete at the next level. At the moment also we have nowhere near reached our peak commercially, which is why he's advertised for a couple of people to drive up sales revenue. His interview back in May detailed his plans. He also thinks we can increase our crowds and percentage contribution of the fan base to BTB from 33 to 40 percent at least.
It sounds good, but unfortunately a lot of it is based on uncertainty and growth. If we stagnate in mid-table to lower mid-table then crowds and percentage contribution to BTB will not increase. DJ has said in an interview that this mustn't be allowed to happen. The 4g plans may have been scuppered by the rugby village where they have been given the green light for this facility despite us having been given the verbal go ahead for our own project. Also, how would all this be funded? Once the rugby village scenario is put to bed one way or another then at least we will know where we stand more.
The Academy will also be good for us I'm sure but again will take time to come to fruition and right now too many people don't have the patience for this. The ideal scenario is to sniff around the play-offs for a couple of years whilst building our revenue streams and Academy up so that we can be more sustainable. DJ knows this and I'm sure it's not lost on people that a few times in interviews he has mentioned 'We must be in the play-offs all season given the budget we delivered to Tommy'. How he responds to the fact that the opposite has come to pass I'm not sure.
Nail on head. If TW doesn't turn it around soon then changes will have to be considered, fact! I know people hate this idea because TW is a likable guy but this doesn't guarantee results and these have been poor with the budget that WE generated for him to shape the squad. Of course we can wait if you want until he strikes lucky again, like Leamington, but when will that be... February next year when we are cut adrift on 16-18 points?

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:

Win or bust. :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 am

I don't think the panic button needs to be pressed this early, I mean is anyone really surprised that Alfreton won this game?

We all knew it was going to be tough - and it was.

They had a game plan, and to a man they executed it perfectly, in fact apart from the ridiculously early goal things panned out just about how I imagined they would. They dictated their style of play onto the game and because of our weakened team situation we didn't have that little bit extra to push us through.

Meanwhile the stats indicate that we had more shots (on and off target) and more corners.

I'm not saying things are going well for T.W, or that he's not making mistakes - I just feel that some people need to calm down a little.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:21 am

Nail, meet head.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:34 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Beano wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:

Win or bust next week?!

You are off your chebs.
No I'm not and I think you'll find there are few who think the same. Two more matches and we are a quarter of the season in you know! Even picking up 6 points from the next two we would still be looking, at the rate we are going at, 48 points that puts us in line with relegation.
Yes, we’ve always had a noisy minority of pitchfork waving bed wetters in our fan base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:38 am

Beano wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Beano wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:

Win or bust next week?!

You are off your chebs.
Yes, we’ve always had a noisy minority of pitchfork waving bed wetters in our fan base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm not normally one of these but concerns are there and I am merely raising these.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:45 am

Not happy with the results obviously, but fuck me we've been unlucky with injuries and that hasn't helped.

I'm happy to see TW get until christmas, no point getting rid so soon - who knows, he might take us on a cup run.

What we need to remember is that for a club of this level a manager has to have one eye on the off field, it's not just about on the field.

TW has successfully wheeled, dealed, brought the budget down, brought in transfer fees, it cannot be overstated how important this is. He needs to be given the opportunity to have a go at the cups as well.

Don't press the panic button yet people.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017