TW tactics......again!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Seventynine
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: TW tactics......again!

Post by Seventynine » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Seventynine wrote:this reminds me of the 12 angry men scenario.
Who’s juror number 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
was either beano or shawy as they say the same every week ..to be honest ..iv no idea

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:24 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:I'm so glad we have improved the shithole and not the team.
I remember everyone on here proclaiming over the summer the players we got rid of were crap anyway, and those who came in were upgrades.

Except they haven't been so far. Sadly my fears about TW from last season are coming to pass again.

It's not just a case of being in a bad spell of form. I really didn't think today we looked like troubling Alfreton. And TW again came up short tactically for me. That massively concerns me. One win in eight, no clean sheets.

TW did earn the chance to build his own team, but at some point, if this carries on, we'll need to ask how long we let it carry on for.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I don't think so Gramps I've never ever said the current crop are an improvement, for starters I'm the biggest fan of Portas , we should never of let him go, as for Turnbull he was a very good player also gutted he left and don't get me started about browny leaving 3 big holes..TW will have to live by these decisions I'm affraid
I'm not saying you did, but there were plenty on here who did.

Every new signing is always described as "a good signing" or "will improve us" by people who've never seen them play.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Beano

TW tactics......again!

Post by Beano » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Seventynine wrote:
Who’s juror number 8?

was either beano or shawy as they say the same every week ..to be honest ..iv no idea
Season ticket holder.

I’ll criticise when it’s due, but it wasn’t due for Hughes today.

Our failings are not due to any individuals; there isn’t a scapegoat as much as many on here would prefer.

Our current failings are tactical, not recruitment or individuals.

Henshaw is better than Gillies, Trotman better than Marrs, Burn is better than Brown, Elliott is better than Scott. The jury is out on Hughes and whether or not he is a direct replacement for Turnbull, but I’ll give him more than 3 games. Pears is better than Maddison and Heaton better than Burn but we had little control over those departures.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:I'm so glad we have improved the shithole and not the team.
I remember everyone on here proclaiming over the summer the players we got rid of were crap anyway, and those who came in were upgrades.

Except they haven't been so far. Sadly my fears about TW from last season are coming to pass again.

It's not just a case of being in a bad spell of form. I really didn't think today we looked like troubling Alfreton. And TW again came up short tactically for me. That massively concerns me. One win in eight, no clean sheets.

TW did earn the chance to build his own team, but at some point, if this carries on, we'll need to ask how long we let it carry on for.

I don't think so Gramps I've never ever said the current crop are an improvement, for starters I'm the biggest fan of Portas , we should never of let him go, as for Turnbull he was a very good player also gutted he left and don't get me started about browny leaving 3 big holes..TW will have to live by these decisions I'm affraid
I'm not saying you did, but there were plenty on here who did.

Every new signing is always described as "a good signing" or "will improve us" by people who've never seen them play.

Sorry just when you said everyone on here..l

HarrytheQuaker

TW tactics......again!

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Beano wrote:
Seventynine wrote:
Who’s juror number 8?

Season ticket holder.

Our failings are not due to any individuals; there isn’t a scapegoat as much as many on here would prefer.

Henshaw is better than Gillies, Trotman better than Marrs, Burn is better than Brown, Elliott is better than Scott. The jury is out on Hughes and whether or not he is a direct replacement for Turnbull, but I’ll give him more than 3 games. Pears is better than Maddison and Heaton better than Burn but we had little control over those departures.
And Marrs were first choice wasn't he?? Cant compare

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 pm

That’s the crux of the problem as someone said earlier. We all accept that we had to reduce the number of players but replace them with a lesser number of better ones, and in my opinion the majority are not.

Ainge is better than we had up front but that’s where it ends for me.

Henshall no better than Gillies.
Hughes significantly worse than Turnbull
Burn significantly worse than Heaton, and not as good as Hunter or Brown
Elliott not as good as Portas
Maddison not as good as Pears by a mile.

In my opinion, a team looking something like:

Trotman Brown Hunter Galbraith
Thompson Turnbull Portas Gillies
Ainge. Styche

Would have done better than the current squad.
Based on what I have seen, TW has weakened our squad over the summer. I accept that some like Heaton, Pears were going to go anyway but the reason we are where we are is poor signings and poor tactics.

I mean seriously, listen to TW,s reasoning for playing Styche wide left....ie. we knew their right back was a threat so we put Styche there to cover him........seriously, we are at home with our other main striker forced to play centre half so let’s put our other main threat out wide to nullify a full back.......seriously!

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:03 pm

seriously i agree ....

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:03 pm

"Henshaw is better than Gillies, Trotman better than Marrs, Burn is better than Brown, Elliott is better than Scott. The jury is out on Hughes and whether or not he is a direct replacement for Turnbull, but I’ll give him more than 3 games. Pears is better than Maddison and Heaton better than Burn but we had little control over those departures."

Not sure I agree with a fair bit of this. Gillies, for all he was criticised for displays on heavier pitches, overall scored pretty much a goal every four games for us. Henshall is OK but won't get anywhere near that. Gillies' delivery from set-pieces was very effective and led to a lot of assists... an area sadly lacking today. Elliott is better than Scott... well yes but you're comparing him with someone who was a bit part player. Is he better than Turnbull? Not sure about that and is Hughes better than Turnbull?... certainly not. The Pears situation was out of our hands but we had a blank canvass for a new keeper and Maddison makes mistakes in virtually every game. He made a terrible one today when he charged out and missed a ball completely and it was very close to being 2-0.

Overall I would say this season we look weaker in the goalkeeping department, in midfield and in defence and we look tactically naive and sometimes completely disorganised. TW cleared lots out, got the players he wanted and said he was happy we could be challengers. We look a long way off that.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:04 pm

id just agree to everythingfink

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:13 pm

iv heard hes gone ....i said 6 games ..apology if he hasn't and id be shocked if he has

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:16 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote: Sorry just when you said everyone on here..l
Seemingly the concept of generalisation is beyond you.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:27 pm

Beano wrote:
Burn better than Brown?
Henshall better than Gillies?
Not a chance.

I understand your point - Wright isn't getting most out of these players' potential ability. But I disagree. I think there's a simpler answer which is the players simply aren't that good.

Burn has been bang average at best for us anyway, while Henshall has done very little of note. They may have come from higher-ranked clubs, but that doesn't make them "better" players. Let's say we'd signed Burn from Whitby, rather than Bristol Rovers. I don't think we'd be saying he's better than Brown. There's a reason Burn has gone from Boro to National League North quite quickly.

Genuinely, based on contribution so far, I'd rather have Brown and Gillies. There's nothing at all in Burn and Henshall's contribution that makes me think they're upgrades so far.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:07 pm

Seventynine wrote:iv heard hes gone ....i said 6 games ..apology if he hasn't and id be shocked if he has
It didn't seem that way from his post match interview, unless something has happened since.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:05 am

Quakers83 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:He is tactically naive and inept, and I'm getting bored of saying this after every match. We are going to go nowhere other than backwards with TW.

My question to point 4 is why not give them 10-15 mins, we could have a wonder kid waiting for an opportunity, if you don't play them then why name them on the bench at all???

Clueless!!! Wright out!!! :evil:
Err, because there is nobody else to sit on the bench due to an injury-crisis?

:crazy:
Squad is too light though - it was Tommy’s choice how to spend / spread the budget. Also he could have brought in a loan signing or two - hence the questions above.

Didn't see you questioning size of squad before season started. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:08 am

Yarblockos wrote:Wasn't a terrible performance, but it is looking like a season of struggle. Set pieces were awful today, Tommo couldn't deliver a ball to save his life, really had a poor game.

For a player who is supposed to be good at passing the ball, Hughes is surprisingly bad at finding his man. All the long glory balls were over shooting the man, when he played it simple it worked.

Given the resources he has, TW is not delivering. If we go out of the cup at the first hurdle then I don't see him keeping his job.
5 players missing today. What resources?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 am

Quakers83 wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:Two - forgot about Reece’s speculative, desperate long shot that the keeper fumbled

You’re obviously forgetting a few more too.

Are you including Saunders’ chance when Hughes played him through? Thompson’s shot that their goalkeeper saved or Styche’s chance from the left after beating their full-back that their keeper saved...

I know it’s not much, but a little more than just the one you said earlier.
Fair enough. Like you say not much to shout about. I want to be positive, I really do, but struggling.

No you don't.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:15 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:He is tactically naive and inept, and I'm getting bored of saying this after every match. We are going to go nowhere other than backwards with TW.

My question to point 4 is why not give them 10-15 mins, we could have a wonder kid waiting for an opportunity, if you don't play them then why name them on the bench at all???

Squad is too light though - it was Tommy’s choice how to spend / spread the budget. Also he could have brought in a loan signing or two - hence the questions above.

Well yes, but what real_darlo_85 is questioning is why TW didn’t bring one of the YT’s on - he/she is basically saying why name them when you’re not going to use them.

When in reality we’re going through an injury-crisis, have 5 players unavailable, and it’s as clear as day that these YT’s aren’t ready for first-team football as of yet.

Obviously TW will need to include 5 subs to complete the squad-16, and they could have been used in an emergency - for example, having 3 injuries forcing the changes.
When TW made it clear that the squad would be complemented by youth team players then surely this is a scenario where you stay true to your word in defence of your judgement. If not then you contradict your comments and call into question your initial plan, clearly TW has got this awfully wrong.

He has wasted the budget donated and given to him by us. Quality over quantity, well it only works if the players you bring in are quality and to me, bar 2-3, the majority are mediocre. So our squad is smaller and weaker and is complemented by youth players who he doesn't intend on playing even in the midst of a suspension/injury crisis which is exactly the scenario in which you'd have thought they'd be given a chance!

He is very quickly losing my confidence that he has the ability to turn this around and succeed. I would love him to but I don't think he has it.

Oh and it's 'he' btw. :thumbup:
Have you seen these youth players play? Who deserved to be pulled today and which would you have put on? Or are you blowing hot air.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:15 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:

Well yes, but what real_darlo_85 is questioning is why TW didn’t bring one of the YT’s on - he/she is basically saying why name them when you’re not going to use them.

When in reality we’re going through an injury-crisis, have 5 players unavailable, and it’s as clear as day that these YT’s aren’t ready for first-team football as of yet.

Obviously TW will need to include 5 subs to complete the squad-16, and they could have been used in an emergency - for example, having 3 injuries forcing the changes.
When TW made it clear that the squad would be complemented by youth team players then surely this is a scenario where you stay true to your word in defence of your judgement. If not then you contradict your comments and call into question your initial plan, clearly TW has got this awfully wrong.

He has wasted the budget donated and given to him by us. Quality over quantity, well it only works if the players you bring in are quality and to me, bar 2-3, the majority are mediocre. So our squad is smaller and weaker and is complemented by youth players who he doesn't intend on playing even in the midst of a suspension/injury crisis which is exactly the scenario in which you'd have thought they'd be given a chance!

He is very quickly losing my confidence that he has the ability to turn this around and succeed. I would love him to but I don't think he has it.

Have you seen these youth players play? Who deserved to be pulled today and which would you have put on? Or are you blowing hot air.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:19 am

Beano wrote:
Seventynine wrote:
Who’s juror number 8?

Season ticket holder.

Sorry, Henshall shall is in no way, shape or from better than Gillies. Burn is not better than Brown either on current evidence.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:52 am

No I haven't. However, you would think that there would be a pecking order to his selection of youth players rather than just plucking anyone to place on the bench. Glover for example has come on a few times and I think started a couple of matches last season, he has been held in high regard by TW which is why he signed him.

What is infuriating me is the fact that TW knew the risks involved in having a small squad and now when we have a scenario where senior players are missing he is not prepared to risk youth players. So what are we going to do wait until they're 20-21 before giving them a chance?

This point has also been slapped down by people close to the club who don't want to admit it's a problem when it clearly is.

And another thing, "you won't win anything with kids".... I seem to remember someone say and look how that went, just saying! :wave:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:49 am

I love on here how people miss Browny and Gillies BUT how many times was it said last season they weren't good enough, God I despair sometimes... We had 6 players out today but that were always gonna happen I'm afraid it's where we are we can't just go out and get players.. Isn't he working within a budget everyone (or most people) called for.. Let's stop pissing pants support the team and the results will come...

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:13 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I love on here how people miss Browny and Gillies BUT how many times was it said last season they weren't good enough, God I despair sometimes... We had 6 players out today but that were always gonna happen I'm afraid it's where we are we can't just go out and get players.. Isn't he working within a budget everyone (or most people) called for.. Let's stop pissing pants support the team and the results will come...
Browny and Gillies were at the level of their ability. However, when you release players because they are deemed not good enough, there's an expectation that the players brought in are at least as good and the bonus would be that they are better. The jury is still out on this, hence why people raise the question.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:20 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I love on here how people miss Browny and Gillies BUT how many times was it said last season they weren't good enough, God I despair sometimes... We had 6 players out today but that were always gonna happen I'm afraid it's where we are we can't just go out and get players.. Isn't he working within a budget everyone (or most people) called for.. Let's stop pissing pants support the team and the results will come...
Well said.
Small squad and six players out, we can hope for better results but not expect them.
Reserve judgement until we are back at full strength.

darlogabbas

Post by darlogabbas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:33 am

I thought we did well yesterday against an inform team. Hopefully with players back next weekend and some better luck we should start pushing up the table. No need to panic just yet.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 am

The only person pissing their pants is you with your ludicrous exaggerations. No one is panicking or not supporting the team, but raising questions about how TW is running it.

The point people are making is Burn and Henshall are yet to demonstrate they're any better than two people they replaced. Yes Brown and Gillies had may be reached their ceiling and no one is pining for their return, but Burn and Henshall are yet to show they're any better.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:38 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:No I haven't. However, you would think that there would be a pecking order to his selection of youth players rather than just plucking anyone to place on the bench. Glover for example has come on a few times and I think started a couple of matches last season, he has been held in high regard by TW which is why he signed him.

What is infuriating me is the fact that TW knew the risks involved in having a small squad and now when we have a scenario where senior players are missing he is not prepared to risk youth players. So what are we going to do wait until they're 20-21 before giving them a chance?

This point has also been slapped down by people close to the club who don't want to admit it's a problem when it clearly is.

And another thing, "you won't win anything with kids".... I seem to remember someone say and look how that went, just saying! :wave:
And what is infuriating me is that some people can’t grasp that we work on a tight-budget, and realistically managing a larger squad would be very difficult, not only in terms of finances but selection. It’s also pretty obvious that those 3 YT players on the bench yesterday (although highly thought of) aren’t ready for first-team football or that sort of game yesterday (they were all 16, so your comment about waiting until they’re 20-21 is ludicrous!)

I don’t think for one minute TW picked those players aimlessly either, and for all you critize TW for not using them - personnel didn’t lose us the game yesterday!

The bottom line is the opening of the season is often the busiest and most hectic, this has coincided with injuries to O’Hanlon, Galbraith, Collins plus Henshall, and the suspension to Wheatley. Vaulks went out on-loan for his own development at the precise moment we had three fit centre-halves in Galbraith, Burn and Collins - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

TW also mentioned that he didn’t want to bring in a loan player for the sake of one game yesterday - this is probably because O’Hanlon, Wheatley, Henshall and potentially one of Galbraith/Collins will return for Saturday. All of a sudden the squad doesn’t look as small.

Your constant digs for TW not throwing a youth player into the baptism of fire is just knit-picking. Fair enough tactics, hitting the wide diagonals etc but I for one don’t begrudge TW for not making any subs.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:49 am

Darlogramps wrote:
The only person pissing their pants is you with your ludicrous exaggerations. No one is panicking or not supporting the team, but raising questions about how TW is running it.

The point people are making is Burn and Henshall are yet to demonstrate they're any better than two people they replaced. Yes Brown and Gillies had may be reached their ceiling and no one is pining for their return, but Burn and Henshall are yet to show they're any better.
Burn’s biggest hindrance is that he is really a right back by trade than can also play centre back and it shows. He is solid on the ball and in the tackle but poor in the air. However, Trotman is arguably the best right back in the league, so won’t displace him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:

Awfully wrong? We’re 8 games into the season! Just because TW didn’t use the youth-players this time around doesn’t mean he won’t in the future! Technically he is sticking to his word as the squad 16 is now being complimented by youth-players, and I don’t think you can say with complete confidence that TW has no intention to use them given since day-1 he has been a massive advocate of developing young players such as Vaulks, Heaton, Glover and Saunders.

Have you ever considered it maybe wasn’t the right sort of game or environment to bring on a couple of youth-players yesterday?

I don’t think you had much confidence in TW anyway as you’d dubbed Leamington as luck in another post.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote: Sorry, Henshall shall is in no way, shape or from better than Gillies. Burn is not better than Brown either on current evidence.
It's a bit too early to rate Henshall as he has hardly featured so far, but I'm personally still glad we got rid of lazy cunnt - sorry I mean Gillies. Yes Gillies was fantastically talented but you'd only ever see evidence of that at the start and end of the season.

Completely agree about Gary Brown. Think we've fucked up with Burn, he needs to start showing a lot more.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:58 am

Darlogramps wrote:

How many games has Henshall played Gramps??