10 games in

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

m62exile
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 10 games in

Post by m62exile » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:05 am

TFDM wrote:Injuries and suspensions haven’t help us. I think we’re a good team when we’re not battling injuries or suspensions. We obviously lack depth and the decision to go with a smaller squad is perhaps a debate for another day. That said we’ve probably got two players on our books who may or may not play again for the club. Most likely they are taking decent money which could possibly be used on maybe 3 or 4 players.

When we’ve been good, we’ve been very good. When we haven’t, not so much. I’m hoping following Saturday that we’ve turned something of a corner and are now starting to get points when we haven’t played particularly well. Against Southport we should probably have been rolled over fairly comfortably. We got away with it and got a point – half decent teams have that ability to somehow get something out of matches. So maybe in that regard we’ve turned a corner.

Personally I expected us to be a bit higher in the table but it’s still early days and we’re not a huge distance from the play-offs. A couple of wins strung together and things look a lot better in regards to the table.

As I’ve said before in the podcast I’m a big fan of the 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 (whatever you want to call it). It can transition into another couple of systems on the fly during a game without too much fuss given some of the players we have. I think it allows us to get the most out of Syers who I think might be our biggest asset. However that clearly leaves us in a position where we’re not able to play both Styche and Ainge (let alone Harvey Saunders who looks more of a threat this season) so I think we’ll revert back to 4-4-2 at some point. Again, there is potentially a debate here about the business we did in the summer in relation to the system… but that’s another debate.

So assuming we’re going to go 4-4-2 at some point… I don’t think that’s a bad thing to be honest and I think it can comfortably work however playing that system means I’m not entirely sure we can play Syers. I think we’ve looked our best when both Elliott and Wheatley have played in the middle. If we’re to have a good season I think we need to maximise the amount of games they are playing together. So if you play them in a 4-4-2 that doesn’t leave room for Syers.

I’d like to see how we’d do with Terry Galbraith and Liam Hughes together in the heart of defence. Hughes has made the position his own with two commanding performances. He’s the main central defender not for me. I’d like to see Terry alongside him when he’s back as I think that could work. If we’re going to play 4-4-2 (and I think we will) we either need our central defenders to be on the top of their game because of the extra pressure they’ll come under because our full backs like to get forward. The alternative is our full backs become a bit more old fashioned and aren’t crossing the halfway line so often. You could still have one of your full backs pushing on but that would require the other full back to stay back and either a defender or winger to cover vacated space. My personal preference is for full backs to be a little less forward thinking in a 4-4-2.

The next few weeks are going to be interesting. Potentially things could drop into place over the next few games with players back and a few little tweaks.

I think players not being from the area is a bit overstated to be honest. We’re playing at a level now where we have to cast our net further a field. It was great when we were drawing players from the local area but that’s gone now.
I think that's almost word perfect to be honest.

Clearly the plan pre-season has been to twin Styche and Ainge but unfortunately when we've done that we've been exposed at the other end by having either inferior players or injuries. It seems that to get a system that will work TW will have to bench two out of Ainge, Saunders and Syers which seems harsh in the sense that they've all played well this season. Either that or start playing square pegs in round holes.

We need to get Galbraith and Hughes a run of games at CB too, which would be an upgraded pairing on any previous game this season. A spine of Galbraith/ Hughes/ Wheatley/ Elliott would be pretty good based on what we've seen so far.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am

I think a 4-4-2 can work quite comfortably. Ainge and Styche up front would be a massive handful (and has been in a few games already this season). Elliott and Wheatley will work together as a central pairing very nicely in a 4-4-2 as well. We've also got the wide players for it.

So far though when we've tried a 4-4-2 we've not had the pairing in central defence to make it work. I think with Liam Hughes we might be on the cusp of making it properly work, albeit it with a slight checking / change of mentality for our full backs.

The only problem is we'd lose Syers from that setup. Something which I think would be a massive shame but I can't work out a reasonably balanced shape which would fit him in as well.

As GQ has eluded too we've got a bit of a dilemma when everyone is back as to how to we fit it altogether. Someone will have to make way and someone will be unhappy as a result.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:08 am

TFDM wrote:I think a 4-4-2 can work quite comfortably. Ainge and Styche up front would be a massive handful (and has been in a few games already this season). Elliott and Wheatley will work together as a central pairing very nicely in a 4-4-2 as well. We've also got the wide players for it.

So far though when we've tried a 4-4-2 we've not had the pairing in central defence to make it work. I think with Liam Hughes we might be on the cusp of making it properly work, albeit it with a slight checking / change of mentality for our full backs.

The only problem is we'd lose Syers from that setup. Something which I think would be a massive shame but I can't work out a reasonably balanced shape which would fit him in as well.

As GQ has eluded too we've got a bit of a dilemma when everyone is back as to how to we fit it altogether. Someone will have to make way and someone will be unhappy as a result.
The alternative way of fitting Syers in is with a narrower midfield where perhaps he's at the top of the diamond, Elliott at the base, and then Wheatley and AN Other on the sides - this allows the full-backs to provide the width with a defensive midfielder covering, but then probably means benching another of our main threats, Thompson.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 am

We may have a small squad but when all fit it shows we haven't got a bad squad either.
Its keeping them fit that seems to be a problem at the moment.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 pm

I think Tommy's recruitment has been good. Happy with the bulk of the first 11.

In regards to how Tommy is as a person then, he's a massive step up in Gray.

One thing I'm not convinced of is the tactics that we employ. There has been various times we've been overrun in certain places and nothing was done in amend this. It's cost us points in at least 2 home games.

Overall the most disappointing thing is our home form, which makes sense in a way. A lot of teams play on the counter when away from home. Our full-backs (although I do think they are very good players) can leave gaps for the counter to work.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

10 games in - Are Chorley on drugs ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!