Darlington v Stockport

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Stockport

Post by JE93 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:46 am

After he has failed at York with seemingly unlimited funds he can stay doing whatever he was doing. Would be completely untenable with the contempt he has shown the fans both during and after his departure.

I've said it before and I'll say it Again. The likes of Mark Bower, John Flanagan and Paul Holleran are all doing better jobs than us at the minute and I don't believe for one second BPA, Curzon Ashton or Leamington have a better budget than us.

Based on that, there will be a Manager outside of the net of ex-players, ex-managers or people who 'Love the club'. That would be able to drag us into a respectable league position with the bones of what we have.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:15 am

jjljks wrote:If we are going backwards, i wonder what our previous manager is doing these days :shh:
One day some brainiac will seriously ask this question about M.G - wanting him to come back an all - I have a couple of suspects in mind re this :roll:

Gray was an idiot in the way he conducted himself, not only when he left but also afterwards, and because of this he's burnt his bridges.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:27 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
jjljks wrote:If we are going backwards, i wonder what our previous manager is doing these days :shh:
One day some brainiac will seriously ask this question about M.G - wanting him to come back an all - I have a couple of suspects in mind re this :roll:

Gray was an idiot in the way he conducted himself, not only when he left but also afterwards, and because of this he's burnt his bridges.
My tongue was firmly in cheek there ;)
No way could we consider MG's return.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:25 am

JE93 wrote:After he has failed at York with seemingly unlimited funds he can stay doing whatever he was doing. Would be completely untenable with the contempt he has shown the fans both during and after his departure.

I've said it before and I'll say it Again. The likes of Mark Bower, John Flanagan and Paul Holleran are all doing better jobs than us at the minute and I don't believe for one second BPA, Curzon Ashton or Leamington have a better budget than us.

Based on that, there will be a Manager outside of the net of ex-players, ex-managers or people who 'Love the club'. That would be able to drag us into a respectable league position with the bones of what we have.
I agree that all those managers are doing good jobs. The advantage they do have is their locations being more central for attracting players without having to break the bank and they have many more clubs to pick players up from.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 am

jjljks wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

A few on the Tin Shed really are pushing for him to return.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:46 am

I've never understood why a good % of our fans are obsessed with resigning old players and rehiring old managers.

12 months back we had Gray in charge and Brown, Hunter, Portas, Turnbull, etc = people moaned.

12 months on we have none of those at the club = people are still moaning and want Gray, Brown, Hunter, Portas, Turnbull, etc, back.

And I have no issue with any of those players and I enjoyed watching them all when they were here, but time moves on and so do people.

But under no circumstances should Gray come back. None whatsoever.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:47 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
jjljks wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

A few on the Tin Shed really are pushing for him to return.
Gray should never return to our club in any capacity.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Neither would he want to, nor could he. After all, he did the equivalent of pulling a moonie in the bosses office when leaving his job at Darlo.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:29 pm

beatroute66 wrote:I've never understood why a good % of our fans are obsessed with resigning old players and rehiring old managers.

12 months back we had Gray in charge and Brown, Hunter, Portas, Turnbull, etc = people moaned.

12 months on we have none of those at the club = people are still moaning and want Gray, Brown, Hunter, Portas, Turnbull, etc, back.

And I have no issue with any of those players and I enjoyed watching them all when they were here, but time moves on and so do people.

But under no circumstances should Gray come back. None whatsoever.
100% agree with this.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:00 pm

But I'll bet Brian Atkinson is watching things here with interest as we plunge towards the relegation zone and unrest grows.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm

LoidLucan wrote:But I'll bet Brian Atkinson is watching things here with interest as we plunge towards the relegation zone and unrest grows.
I'm sure he is Phishing himself... NOT

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:10 am

Well there is no managerial vacancy at Darlo, so it is pointless speculating.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:32 am

No way should we take Gray back... and no way should we appoint Atkinson... don't know why people are obsessed with the next manager being ex Darlo, not exactly worked with Wright... we need freshening up next time we appoint a manager.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:04 am

I've often wondered if supporters of all teams have this weird obsession with bringing back former players/managers or is it just us?
SwansQuaker83 wrote:No way should we take Gray back... and no way should we appoint Atkinson... don't know why people are obsessed with the next manager being ex Darlo, not exactly worked with Wright... we need freshening up next time we appoint a manager.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:11 am

Spyman wrote:I've often wondered if supporters of all teams have this weird obsession with bringing back former players/managers or is it just us?
SwansQuaker83 wrote:No way should we take Gray back... and no way should we appoint Atkinson... don't know why people are obsessed with the next manager being ex Darlo, not exactly worked with Wright... we need freshening up next time we appoint a manager.
No we have it at Swansea... we tried to get Martinez and Rodgers back as managers, as well as Graeme Jones, Roberto's assistant, on numerous occasions. We got Bony back (been terrible and injured since), Andre Ayew back (disaster, failed to score a single goal), Sigurdsson (was successful), Trundle (was a disaster), Leon Britton (was successful but he only came back after 3 months of moving to Sheffield Utd), Emnes (was crap)... I could go on... they're largely unsuccessful.

I don't understand it personally.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

And he's also proven (after nearly a full season with York containing more defeats than wins) that even with a huge budget at this level he cannot succeed.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:00 am

LoidLucan wrote:But I'll bet Brian Atkinson is watching things here with interest as we plunge towards the relegation zone and unrest grows.
To be fair, if TW doesn't work out I don't think Atkinson would be a bad shout.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:21 pm

We have to stick with Tommy and Alan, but the only way we will have any hope of having a decent season is somehow to release 3 or 4 players who are not good enough and replace them with more quality.Very, very difficult we know but we have the nucleus of a good side which could then be a very good side.This I feel is crucial as our current squad falls short and it is still not too late to go on a run and get back among the mix.If we sit back and just plod along with this squad then gates will fall and things will go from bad to worse.Big decisions need to be made but it's not too late.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:11 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:We have to stick with Tommy and Alan, but the only way we will have any hope of having a decent season is somehow to release 3 or 4 players who are not good enough and replace them with more quality.Very, very difficult we know but we have the nucleus of a good side which could then be a very good side.This I feel is crucial as our current squad falls short and it is still not too late to go on a run and get back among the mix.If we sit back and just plod along with this squad then gates will fall and things will go from bad to worse.Big decisions need to be made but it's not too late.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Absolutely right. We can't afford to carry players in the squad who don't and won't play for TW. One quality which used to shine was those players who wanted to play for DarloFC & those "triers" are recognised by the fans and together we had some great results. OK there were a few times when enthusiasm got the better of Brown / White / Scott in terms of red cards, but most fans could forgive them because of their obvious passion. Finding players who combine skill and desire is a "dark art" and once we had Harry scouting out such talent around the North. Not sure Tommy has quite the same network of contacts, although there are a number of emerging players like Saunders coming up through the academy but not sure we will have time to let them develop into first teamers.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:37 pm

jjljks wrote: Finding players who combine skill and desire is a "dark art" and once we had Harry scouting out such talent around the North. Not sure Tommy has quite the same network of contacts
I'm not sure it was rocket science - we were just blowing other clubs out the water with Gray's limitless budget and coupled with the attraction of playing for the 'big club'.

We're no longer anywhere close to that situation - we're generally competing with either full-timeclubs in the area, or part time clubs with more money for players and Darlington for a neutral player is no bigger a draw than York or Hartlepool in terms of reputation.

Interested also to know who you class as players who don't and won't play for the current management. I can think of two obvious ones but apart from that, this is pretty much Wright's squad (Galbraith, Wheatley, Syers and Thompson aside).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm

The off-field issues are another thing that are starting to grate. Clearly there's been a big bust-up with Collins and we are therefore without the services of someone who can play at centre-back and full-back when we are running with a small squad. It needs to be sorted ASAP but just seems to be dragging on so meanwhile we pay for the services of someone who is clearly no longer part of the picture when we are often down to the bare bones and have 16-year-olds on the bench. Is there no room for compromise and common sense to be brought into this? We can't afford to have situations like this just left to rumble on week after week. A personal bust-up and the club suffers.

The Caton situation is also one I think should have been handled differently. But once TW publicly stated that a player with a year left on his contract was "no longer part of his plans" we had a real problem when no transfer materialised. Again we are left with a paid employee who is of no use to us whatsoever and no doubt we are getting buttons from Stalybridge. I'm sure Caton is quite comfortable about things now and who can blame him. He's back in his native North-west, has all the time he needs for his uni course, has a club and a no doubt a decent wage. We, with a small squad, have teenagers on the bench and again have a player who of no use to us. Personally I would never have publicly isolated and disowned him in that manner to start with. And I would have had him training twice a week and travelling to matches, even if just for bench duties when we are so short of bodies. It may well have helped to focus his mind either on getting his game back together with us or on pursuing his life elsewhere and doing his course without impediment from his commitments to us.

Neither of these man management issues fill me with confidence.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Spyman wrote:
jjljks wrote: Finding players who combine skill and desire is a "dark art" and once we had Harry scouting out such talent around the North. Not sure Tommy has quite the same network of contacts
I'm not sure it was rocket science - we were just blowing other clubs out the water with Gray's limitless budget and coupled with the attraction of playing for the 'big club'.

We're no longer anywhere close to that situation - we're generally competing with either full-timeclubs in the area, or part time clubs with more money for players and Darlington for a neutral player is no bigger a draw than York or Hartlepool in terms of reputation.

Interested also to know who you class as players who don't and won't play for the current management. I can think of two obvious ones but apart from that, this is pretty much Wright's squad (Galbraith, Wheatley, Syers and Thompson aside).
Collins and Caton are given, as per Loid (above). Gray had the benefit of Hartlepool, York & even Gateshead all in downward spirals during his tenure. Now Harrogate (Town), South Shields and Spennymoor, possibly even Blyth are all attractive alternatives to us for aspiring players. TW has picked up a number of players who have some proven "pedigree" but then are not slotting into the team or performing up to their potential with the tactics we seem intent on sticking to. Management need to find a way to utilise players to optimise their contribution and tactics which allow them to express themselves. We look good when the ball is kept moving on the floor, short passes with players creating space and chances. No one says this is easy, but patience is wearing thin with the fans. We need more of the spirit as shown v Telford and Brackley.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:54 pm

This Caton you are on about, is this the same bloke who was slagged off something rotten last season for not producing the goods? Now Wright gets slagged off for trying to get rid of him!!! You really cant make some of this s*** up!!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:02 pm

It's the way it's been handled that i have issues with along with a fresh situation now with collins that is dragging on.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:37 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It's the way it's been handled that i have issues with along with a fresh situation now with collins that is dragging on.
From what I have heard its a disciplinary issue with Collins. Do you think he should be allowed to play if this is the case?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Depends what the disciplinary issue is. That's a pretty vague term.
loan_star wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:It's the way it's been handled that i have issues with along with a fresh situation now with collins that is dragging on.
From what I have heard its a disciplinary issue with Collins. Do you think he should be allowed to play if this is the case?

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:42 pm

What i think is that the matter should be resolved quickly for the benefit of the club.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:01 pm

loan_star wrote:
Wright does seem to alienate a lot of players who aren't his own (I.e. he didn't bring them in). Ex-players like Scott alluded to this in the summer.

Not necessarily the case that Collins is in the wrong and Saint Tommy is wonderful and badly done to.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 pm

I don't see what's wrong with how the caton saga has been done, it's fairly normal to transfer list players and make them available telling them they aren't in his plans.

Also not sure about TW alienating players, it could well be sour grapes about getting less game time/released as Saunders, Thompson, Galbraith seem relatively happy?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Wright does seem to alienate a lot of players who aren't his own (I.e. he didn't bring them in). Ex-players like Scott alluded to this in the summer.

Not necessarily the case that Collins is in the wrong and Saint Tommy is wonderful and badly done to.
But equally the players that are 'his' now form the majority of the side and are not getting results or performing consistently.

DC