Am I the only one - balanced view

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

50 years
Team Supported: Darlington

Am I the only one - balanced view

Post by 50 years » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 pm

I may be the only one, but getting a little bit disheartened at the negativity lately so thought I would review the last 12 months or so, to give myself a balanced view.

We get a new CEO in, who has lots of senior position management experience.

Previous successful manager who had lost interest in us, had a team that looked like relegation fodder (which he did not look like being able to turn around), left club for better offer. All the backroom staff also leaving including physio and scout.

Financially club in very poor place, relying on goodwill short terms loans to keep afloat, (not for the first time in our non-league experience).

Three of our arguably better players transferred (contract conditions, but brought in much needed revenue).

New manager and assistant manager brought in, and able to arrange loan of quality keeper and transfer in an excellent centre half, full back and forward in short space of time.

After poor start, new management turns things around so that we were not far, points wise, off the play offs at the end of the season and only 1 point below York’s full time team.

New Management arranges foreign away game, 2-300 fans had an excellent trip.

New management arranges for three players to attend a Jamie Vardy training week, which resulted in a player being transferred for a much needed and decent fee.

New management sets up Academy - a vital major step if we are ever to survive in the future with young players coming through and hopefully some transfer fees.

Transfer out of some long serving players, many well liked but some who may have reached their level, raising some valuable cash to the club, while also bringing in players with good credentials and a goal keeping coach from York.

Win £20k on best goal celebration, with a lot of fans help.

Club becomes debt free (DFCSG do have an amount of long term loans to repay).

So a lot has gone on but now as a club we have:-

A CEO and Chairman with plenty of experience and now tough enough to make sure that the club is run financially astutely and professionally, and a club debt free.

The supporters group have new board members, with lots of fantastic young people involved, giving a wide range of experience to the existing excellent board members.

We have a fantastic set of volunteer supporters, possibly the best in the leagues.

We have some fantastic fans, as seen by the clearing of the snow in such a short time for that famous award winning game, recovery of the ground covers from BM, and providing superb financial support over the last 5 years to keep us going and get a nice tidy little ground now to play at.

We have a football management team who love the club, are approachable, but still young and learning their trade. They understand the financial constraints and work to it, (I believe that the budget may well be £50 - £100k less overall than MG had when he was near relegation zone).

We have some young players coming through and getting a chance, the club is in a better financial position than any time in the last 6 years or more. The top management of the club and supporters group looks solid and very capable, so in a position that we, I am sure, would have loved to be in 5 years ago.

We are no longer the big cheese in the non-league locally, with South Shields, Spennymoor, Hartlepool, York, Harrogate all able to outspend us, so getting local talented players is going to be hard, we do need to therefore look farther afield, so having contacts outside the area is a good thing and we need to get used to that.

So what is there really to moan about?

We have had some poor results and performances and near the relegation zone, but the players have proved they are capable, with some excellent performances also and there is a long way to go yet in the season. It was turned around last year and I believe it will be this year.

For those who are unhappy we are not in a promotion position, just consider if we got promoted this year, we as fans would need to raise at least £500k I believe, to just stay in the league above, do we have those people willing to put that sort of cash in, (I assume those who are the most vocal and OTT in their criticism will be the first to provide financial support if needed?).

I personally would be happy to consolidate and get finances in great position, (although would like to get into play offs for the extra cash and excitement, and yes I would put money in if we did get promoted, out of my savings yet again as now retired).

Just something to consider for the real fans out there, one bad feedback from an individual could influence 30+ others with negative view of the club so making it harder to attract new fans. Kicking individuals and the team when its down is not a way to improve on or off the pitch (and I do understand the passion that is associated with the team, just need to think of the wider impact).

As for me I think we have come a long way in the last 12 months with much of it very positive for the future of the club, and would not want to change anything other than the results lately, (and a cup run :) ), but willing to live with that knowing that it will improve.

I also believe that if things do need to change that we now have the CEO and Chairman who are able to make the best decision for the club and I trust them to do that.

Apologies for the length of this but was getting a bit uneasy with the focus on just a part of our recent journey, (an important part though I admit), and wanted a balanced view of the last 12 months or so, and I am sure I have missed other good bits out too.

“Up the Quakers”

darlodaz

Re: Am I the only one - balanced view

Post by darlodaz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:04 pm

excellent post :clap:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Agreed totally with all of it. Negativeity is not the way forward,
Great Post.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm

50 years wrote:I may be the only one, but getting a little bit disheartened at the negativity lately so thought I would review the last 12 months or so, to give myself a balanced view.

Previous successful manager who had lost interest in us, had a team that looked like relegation fodder (which he did not look like being able to turn around), left club for better offer. All the backroom staff also leaving including physio and scout.

Financially club in very poor place, relying on goodwill short terms loans to keep afloat, (not for the first time in our non-league experience).

Three of our arguably better players transferred (contract conditions, but brought in much needed revenue).

New manager and assistant manager brought in, and able to arrange loan of quality keeper and transfer in an excellent centre half, full back and forward in short space of time.

After poor start, new management turns things around so that we were not far, points wise, off the play offs at the end of the season and only 1 point below York’s full time team.

New management arranges for three players to attend a Jamie Vardy training week, which resulted in a player being transferred for a much needed and decent fee.

New management sets up Academy - a vital major step if we are ever to survive in the future with young players coming through and hopefully some transfer fees.

Transfer out of some long serving players, many well liked but some who may have reached their level, raising some valuable cash to the club, while also bringing in players with good credentials and a goal keeping coach from York.

A CEO and Chairman with plenty of experience and now tough enough to make sure that the club is run financially astutely and professionally, and a club debt free.

The supporters group have new board members, with lots of fantastic young people involved, giving a wide range of experience to the existing excellent board members.

We have a fantastic set of volunteer supporters, possibly the best in the leagues.

We have some fantastic fans, as seen by the clearing of the snow in such a short time for that famous award winning game, recovery of the ground covers from BM, and providing superb financial support over the last 5 years to keep us going and get a nice tidy little ground now to play at.

We have a football management team who love the club, are approachable, but still young and learning their trade. They understand the financial constraints and work to it, (I believe that the budget may well be £50 - £100k less overall than MG had when he was near relegation zone).

We have some young players coming through and getting a chance, the club is in a better financial position than any time in the last 6 years or more. The top management of the club and supporters group looks solid and very capable, so in a position that we, I am sure, would have loved to be in 5 years ago.

We are no longer the big cheese in the non-league locally, with South Shields, Spennymoor, Hartlepool, York, Harrogate all able to outspend us, so getting local talented players is going to be hard, we do need to therefore look farther afield, so having contacts outside the area is a good thing and we need to get used to that.

We have had some poor results and performances and near the relegation zone, but the players have proved they are capable, with some excellent performances also and there is a long way to go yet in the season. It was turned around last year and I believe it will be this year.

For those who are unhappy we are not in a promotion position, just consider if we got promoted this year, we as fans would need to raise at least £500k I believe, to just stay in the league above, do we have those people willing to put that sort of cash in, (I assume those who are the most vocal and OTT in their criticism will be the first to provide financial support if needed?).

I personally would be happy to consolidate and get finances in great position, (although would like to get into play offs for the extra cash and excitement, and yes I would put money in if we did get promoted, out of my savings yet again as now retired).

Just something to consider for the real fans out there, one bad feedback from an individual could influence 30+ others with negative view of the club so making it harder to attract new fans. Kicking individuals and the team when its down is not a way to improve on or off the pitch (and I do understand the passion that is associated with the team, just need to think of the wider impact).

As for me I think we have come a long way in the last 12 months with much of it very positive for the future of the club, and would not want to change anything other than the results lately, (and a cup run :) ), but willing to live with that knowing that it will improve.

I also believe that if things do need to change that we now have the CEO and Chairman who are able to make the best decision for the club and I trust them to do that.

Apologies for the length of this but was getting a bit uneasy with the focus on just a part of our recent journey, (an important part though I admit), and wanted a balanced view of the last 12 months or so, and I am sure I have missed other good bits out too.

“Up the Quakers”
Also a longstanding 50+ years fan, can empathise with your review, very fair comments. Could have added it is more than nice to have the Tin Shed resurrected (OK this was outside the 12 month period), improvements to the covered seating & sight line, and which fan has not had some schadenfreude over MG's dismissal by York City? Trouble is, we lack patience as we have been spoiled by our spectacular rise from the ashes over the past few seasons.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 pm

The post makes it sound like anyone raising doubts about our long-term prospects under TW is somehow just negative, impatient and not a real fan. When some of those people have also contributed a lot of cash to the club over the years and broken their backs clearing snow etc.

I genuinely fear that there will be no consolidation of the club and its finances if we are taken down into the Evo Stik by a manager who cant lead, organise, inspire and piece together a side capable of winning a few matches. There are big dangers and threats to stability and finances down that route. And its very much the route we are taking along with failing in the other major priority, the cup, with over a quarter of the season gone.

Dont forget that TW himself said he was happy with his budget and felt he had got everything in place, including better players, for a tilt at the play-offs. It's going badly wrong.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Agree with much of the original post but also most of LoidLucan too.

We should absolutely be performing much better than we have been and if we don’t win a fair few points from next 5 games then we are in a serious relegation struggle which is ridiculous.

No one denies there have been lots of good things going on and worthy of recognition, but let’s not Kid ourselves either, the last 6 months has not been good enough. Poor signings have weakened the squad, we signed players who clearly were not even fit enough, no one seems to know what system to play and team spirit I would say looks to be the worse in many years.

Need to see this change in next 5 games given they look potentially “ easier” games and they have had a full 2 weeks on the training ground. Anything less is unacceptable to me.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Agree with much of the original post but also most of LoidLucan too.

We should absolutely be performing much better than we have been and if we don’t win a fair few points from next 5 games then we are in a serious relegation struggle which is ridiculous.

No one denies there have been lots of good things going on and worthy of recognition, but let’s not Kid ourselves either, the last 6 months has not been good enough. Poor signings have weakened the squad, we signed players who clearly were not even fit enough, no one seems to know what system to play and team spirit I would say looks to be the worse in many years.

Need to see this change in next 5 games given they look potentially “ easier” games and they have had a full 2 weeks on the training ground. Anything less is unacceptable to me.
I'm not sure poor signings have weakened the squad, I'm generally happy with the players we've brought in, I think the issue is the players we've lost (Turnbull and Heaton and to some extent Gillies) were always going to be difficult to replace, and would almost be a case of get the best we can.

The rest, I think had such limited game time last season that they had to go for their own sake really.

We are lower than we should be (based on expectation/budget) and as such TW needs to improve performances/results relatively quickly, however I'm happy enough with us giving him time to get things right as long as we don't start getting isolated at the bottom end of the table.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:13 pm

I think if you combine the original post with Loidlucan's you have a 'balanced view'.

The original post is rose tinted. Not to say there's not aspects that I completely agree with, but relegation would be disastrous and we need to face up to that. Wright, and Johnston, need to face up to that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm

I'll go further than rose-tinted.

The original post, while containing a lot of legitimate and fair points, does also come across as being quite nauseating with its insistence there's nothing to moan about. And suggesting anyone who criticises is being impatient and isn't a proper fan is out of order.

It comes across as though 50 Years is deluding himself that everything is fine, when it quite clearly isn't. We're underperforming and TW is getting a lot of things wrong. Some fans seem to think it's sacrilege to suggest anything is wrong, and not be anything other than 100% positive.

Yes, we've made progress and got a lot of things right. But that doesn't mean there aren't other things going wrong.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Off the pitch, pretty good really and TW has played a large part in that. Let's not forget that managing at this level involves balancing the books as much as it does getting a good league position.

On the pitch - not so good, and TW has played a large part in that. Being knocked out of the cup is a real kick in the stones and was one area where it was hoped that TW would improve on the previous "fuck the cups" manager. In the league, well 2-4-5 is very concerning, but let's remember that it's still early in the season so 3 or 4 wins from the next 5 can bring us back to comfy mid table and still 26 matches to play.

If we flop in the next 5 matches though (which are also relatively "easier" fixtures), then I think his position really needs to be looked at. Desperate for him to succeed but from what I've seen so far this season I'm not convinced he will.

Sad times but three quick wins could even things out. And Darlogramps, *if* we beat FCUM on Saturday, no one is going to be claiming he has "turned things around" based on one result man.

One thing I agree with which has been mentioned a couple of times on threads is travelling distance. Half of our team live in the midlands and every home game is equivalent to a long away trip. I don't care what anyone says, sitting in a car for 3-4 hours takes something out of your legs. That's why teams rarely have an away record as good as their home record IMO.

We are basically playing away games and away games and this could be a serious disadvantage to our overall playing record and our hopes for the season - and it was barely thought of as a factor until recently. Think reality is biting for us now!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Not deluded and certainly not saying fans don't have legitimate worries and fully realise some of those will be people who may have put substantial amounts of money in and may have cleared snow etc but make the point that we have people in charge who I believe are capable of making the correct decision at the right time.

I am sure if there are people who want to see changes earlier and they have the right business background / experience I am sure they would be welcome on the board to make informed decisions and influence the direction of the club.

Gramps sorry I made you feel sick but I prefer to have a positive view on life as a whole, but be aware of the downside and what I can and can't influence and saw little of the positives lately in the different threads so thought a reminder would not harm, possibly it may not be what some people want to here but after all it is just my opinion.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:One thing I agree with which has been mentioned a couple of times on threads is travelling distance. Half of our team live in the midlands and every home game is equivalent to a long away trip. I don't care what anyone says, sitting in a car for 3-4 hours takes something out of your legs. That's why teams rarely have an away record as good as their home record IMO.

We are basically playing away games and away games and this could be a serious disadvantage to our overall playing record and our hopes for the season - and it was barely thought of as a factor until recently. Think reality is biting for us now!
I wonder if this problem could be solvable?

Getting them up here on a Friday night would be the obvious solution.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote: Sad times but three quick wins could even things out. And Darlogramps, *if* we beat FCUM on Saturday, no one is going to be claiming he has "turned things around" based on one result man.
I bet you they do, man. We'll see something along the lines of: "That should shut his critics up". Guarantee it. It's happened after our other two wins this season (and indeed last season).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:One thing I agree with which has been mentioned a couple of times on threads is travelling distance. Half of our team live in the midlands and every home game is equivalent to a long away trip. I don't care what anyone says, sitting in a car for 3-4 hours takes something out of your legs. That's why teams rarely have an away record as good as their home record IMO.

I wonder if this problem could be solvable?

Getting them up here on a Friday night would be the obvious solution.

1. Could the club afford to put players up in hotels every home game?

2. How are you going to persuade players to suddenly spend another night away from wives, girlfriends, children, friends etc?

3. If you can persuade players to spend this time awayfrom home, they are almost certainly going to demand increased payments to compensate them for their time.

Its easy to make such suggestions, but the practicalities make it impossible financially as well as unlikely to find favour with all the exiled players

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes, I realise all that Spen. I'm not suggesting it's an easy problem to solve - but if it's deemed necessary then there could be a way - you know, where there's a will there's a way.

I'd like to think the players involved might be open to sensible suggestions - seeing as they would hopefully benefit from putting in better performances.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Yes, I realise all that Spen. I'm not suggesting it's an easy problem to solve - but if it's deemed necessary then there could be a way - you know, where there's a will there's a way.

I'd like to think the players involved might be open to sensible suggestions - seeing as they would hopefully benefit from putting in better performances.
Isn't this all just excuses? By my reckoning Styche, O'Hanlon, Trotman were all signed before the 27th of January last season. The 27th of January was the Leamington game which then lead on to our best patch of the season form wise. So why was travelling not a problem then?

In the training sessions they do, they shouldn't really be about fitness anyway. That conditioning work players can do on their own. Training should be tactical and set up work in preparation for the next game.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:17 pm

JE93 wrote:Isn't this all just excuses?
I dunno.

I was responding to Ghost's post and pointing out that IF the excessive traveling on a match day is causing these players a problem, then it wouldn't be impossible to do something about it*.

* not impossible, but still problematical. (Spen)
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 am

LoidLucan wrote:The post makes it sound like anyone raising doubts about our long-term prospects under TW is somehow just negative, impatient and not a real fan. When some of those people have also contributed a lot of cash to the club over the years and broken their backs clearing snow etc.

I genuinely fear that there will be no consolidation of the club and its finances if we are taken down into the Evo Stik by a manager who cant lead, organise, inspire and piece together a side capable of winning a few matches. There are big dangers and threats to stability and finances down that route. And its very much the route we are taking along with failing in the other major priority, the cup, with over a quarter of the season gone.

Dont forget that TW himself said he was happy with his budget and felt he had got everything in place, including better players, for a tilt at the play-offs. It's going badly wrong.
I completely agree with this.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

50 years wrote:I may be the only one, but getting a little bit disheartened at the negativity lately so thought I would review the last 12 months or so, to give myself a balanced view.

I completely agree with this, Johnston fills me with confidence on the long term future of the club, as do the SG board, particularly Chris. I only wish we'd gotten DJ sooner.

Lost interest yes. Relegation fodder, we may have looked like it but we were going through a bad patch, the season before we'd made the play offs. Nothing in Martin's record suggested we would be anywhere near the drop under him.

Yes we were and we've turned that around, or at least that's what I believe, if you read other social media forums, some fans suggest we haven't and we're skint. We are still, however, relying on goodwill gestures and always will whilst at BM, as we have no sustainable income from the facilities

after a very poor start and middle

“Up the Quakers”

Off the field I completely agree, we're doing better. We still have a long way to go, mainly because of Blackwell Meadows. I believe fan ownership can work, but we're completely hamstrung by that ground. Thankfully we have a very savvy Chairman who recognises this and I believe will work to untangle us from it. On the field, it's a disaster... we've gone over a quarter of the season with two wins and are hovering above relegation. I believe if we are relegated it would be catastrophic in terms of our progress back up the pyramid. Only an immediate return would soften the blow but I'm not confident that would happen, certainly not under this managerial team. Personally, I would act now, I see nothing to suggest anything other than a scrap for survival under TW, and that is not where we should be.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 pm

As has been said already, the next 5 games are probably a good point after which to judge.

If we're still languishing around the bottom of the league then I don't see a problem in saying thanks to TW for his work particularly helping us stabilise off the pitch, but acknowledge that we need results on the pitch.

The whole point behind the boost the budget was that there were clear goals that Wright could be held accountable for, which he'd been involved in setting. If he's not close to achieving the goals he said he could achieve at the start of the season, then I think the way forward is clear.

After all, if a relegation battle was the acceptable outcome, why boost the budget in the first place? We could achieve that with no extra funding.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Excellent post 50 years, as you say there is too much negativity on this MB at the moment.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Negative results week after week are to blame for that, Pete.
Darlo_Pete wrote:Excellent post 50 years, as you say there is too much negativity on this MB at the moment.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 am

Some very balanced discussion here. I'm of the opinion that a mix of 50 years and Loid Lucan is about right. We should be chuffed at how far we've come in such a short time, especially the money we've raised. I think the negativity comes from being so hopeful of a great season based on the comments of DJ and TW and the current league position. We wouldn't have responded well if they'd said they expected mid table mediocrity. I'm very disappointed but as always keeping the faith. After 40 years of watching it comes naturally. I don't envy you 50 years.....10 more years than me!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm

And some of those extra 10 years were really bad :D

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Ha ha! Unlike the other 40?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 pm

No - some were definitely worse :P

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:14 pm

You're right. For me the lowest point was in the 1972 season (I think) when Mansfield ran riot and put seven past us at Feethams. Peter Graham had to comfort our (young local) keeper who was almost in tears at the end.
We were in a very bad run of form.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Ouch!!

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:You're right. For me the lowest point was in the 1972 season (I think) when Mansfield ran riot and put seven past us at Feethams. Peter Graham had to comfort our (young local) keeper who was almost in tears at the end.
We were in a very bad run of form.
Wasn't it Southport who banged 7 past us at home ?

Also got thumped 7-0 away at Bradford ?

A 3-0 home defeat by Torquay amid cries of 'Tait out' (George not Mick )

Those were the days....

NOT

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 am

Never dull with Darlo. in the old days we had a crowd of 21k to watch us play Nat Lofthouse's Bolton Wanderers at Feethams (he was the Gary Linneker of his day), another night the Polam lane stand burned down, we had derbies on Boxing days with Poolie, getting thrashed 10-0 at Doncaster (my first ever away game), characters like Lance Robson (part time dentist who did one ad hoc extraction on the pitch on an irritating opposition centre half), "big" Ron Ferguson blasting in a goal from halfway line, a diminutive David Speedie who was on his last chance after a poor disciplinary & scoring record at Barnsley but then went on to play at Chelsea & capped by Scotland, relegation & re-elections, promotions even Championship of Conference, new stands & ground, megalomaniac owners & managers some good (Cyril Knowles) some bad (you know who they were/are), Wembley appearances
You could not make up our roller coaster club, so bipolar in performances, I for one can't live with it and can't live without it. Thanks to everyone who keep it alive :clap: