Darlington v Boston

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Boston

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 am

Some people on here don't rate O Hanlon , Glad you do he is a decent player yes maybe you can argue a little light but a solid part time player

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am

People seem to forget that Galbraith was moved to centre half because he was always getting caught out at left back.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 am

loan_star wrote:People seem to forget that Galbraith was moved to centre half because he was always getting caught out at left back.
Totally disagree, when was he always getting caught out at left back.We need more physicality in the team and certainly worth moving Ben O’Hanlon forward would be worth considering as he is a very mobile lad and has to be in the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:16 pm

loan_star wrote:People seem to forget that Galbraith was moved to centre half because he was always getting caught out at left back.
Correct. As much as I rate him, he doesn’t have the pace to play full back.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:21 pm

quakerman wrote:
Totally disagree, when was he always getting caught out at left back.We need more physicality in the team and certainly worth moving Ben O’Hanlon forward would be worth considering as he is a very mobile lad and has to be in the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He was getting caught for pace a bit at left back before he was swapped over to centre back, whether this was down to not enough support by the left midfielder I am not sure. Gray moved Galbraith to CB when Brown was out injured, Wright moved him back to LB but we were struggling to get any results, we started getting results when O'Hanlon came in, in fact his first game was Leamington away and Galbraith played CB from that point onwards.

I don't think swapping O'Hanlon to left midfield when we have Henshall/Nicholson who can play there is on the cards to be honest, not sure I would make that change either if I was Wright. Think he has bigger decisions to make such as forward line and 442 v's 451 to be making even further changes.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Styche leaving according to Stoddart on Twitter

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Fine by me. Money please.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Team for today.

1. Maddison
2. Elliott
3. Trotman
4. Wheatley
5. Hughes
6. Galbraith
7. Henshall
8. Nicholson
9. Ainge
10. Saunders
11. Thompson

Subs: Glover, Hall, Banks, Burn Syers.

Looks like a 4-4-2 to me. With Elliott right back and Trotman left back. Nicholson and Wheatley in CM.

Interesting re Styche. Best be a very decent transfer fee we're getting. Wonder who the club are?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 pm

I wonder if he’s moving up a level. He’s capable of playing there imo.

Or is he off to play in Gibraltar?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 pm

H1987 wrote:I wonder if he’s moving up a level. He’s capable of playing there imo.

Or is he off to play in Gibraltar?
Cant deny it if he wants to go - I think he has had his head turned playing for Gibraltar and maybe his ambitions have changed - and lets face it we are going no where this season, mid table finish at best and no cup run to raise his profile.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Twice in first 5 mins a Boston striker has been 1 on 1 due to an attacking full back out of position

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Darlo 1-0 up and Boston down to 10 men!!
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Good first half for Darlo played some tidy football , just need that second goal.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Typical Darlo, turned over a top side on a winning away streak! Is anything predictable? NO ;)

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Agree about unpredictable . 7 points above the drop and 4 points below the play offs . Looking like mid-table but as of now anything can happen !

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Two wins have changed our season around and what has been a poor start we now find ourselves mid table. However does the sale of Styche indicate a lack of ambition, especially since we had boost the budget and prize money or is it simply a get out for Tommy as the Styche and Ainge partnership did not work.
Maybe we can use the money to negotiate a pay off for Collins and Caton and that will be the Martin Gray legacy players gone who Tommy doesn’t want. Then we can fill in any gaps with loan players as and when.
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Pleased about today for a number of reasons:

1 It takes us another step away from the relegation fight.

2 Their fans were bordering on hubris in their predictions of winning at a canter.

3 They were a horrible, niggly team who seemed desperate to get one of our players sent off as well by cheating and feigning injury.

4 They stopped Saunders getting on the scoresheet with a certain goal until the keeper's assault on him.

5 The first player to be sent off, Middleton, is an absolute wanker and I was told by someone nearby that he offered to fight a fan giving him some verbals as he left the pitch.... "Come on then, I'll see you over there".

6 I'm absolutely sick of seeing Gregg Smith's huge belly.

Let's be honest, we made hard work of it and we really do need some lessons on holding onto the ball better and putting in some accurate passing, particularly when against fewer men than we have. But, hey, it's job done and something to build on now for hopefully a far better return from the second quarter of the season than the first.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:45 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Two wins have changed our season around
Erm, not quite.

See this sort of thing is what darlogramps correctly predicted. That people would say the season was "turned around" after 1 win - OK in this instance it's 2 wins.

Two defeats will have the opposite effect of plunging us down near the bottom again.

We still need a few more wins (without an equal or greater number of defeats during those wins) before we can start saying that the season has been "turned around"

We have more league defeats than wins, still. Fact.

Good to get 2 wins but still a lot of work to be done.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:01 pm

AW played 3 centre halves today. Wonder if due to the recent poor form then TW is delegating to him more. Also done all recent interviews.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:AW played 3 centre halves today. Wonder if due to the recent poor form then TW is delegating to him more. Also done all recent interviews.
Strange to hear nothing from TW. Maybe he didn't want to face questions about today's big news off the field? Maybe just coincidence? Either way I always rate AW's reading of the game

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:51 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:AW played 3 centre halves today. Wonder if due to the recent poor form then TW is delegating to him more. Also done all recent interviews.
Strange to hear nothing from TW. Maybe he didn't want to face questions about today's big news off the field? Maybe just coincidence? Either way I always rate AW's reading of the game
Perhaps TW will be the next budget cut.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:53 am

Boston United’s Craig Elliott gives post match interview

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l1HSGenCuPQ

Followed by Josh Hine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2pI1S_9KWnU

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:53 am

Darlo Dodger wrote:Boston United’s Craig Elliott gives post match interview

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l1HSGenCuPQ

Followed by Josh Hine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2pI1S_9KWnU
Ha Ha two contrasting views from the same team
Greg Norman

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Good result yesterday against a team in good form and with a good record away from home. I've given credit to teams like Alfreton and Stockport who have turned up, scored their goal and shut up shop and controlled the game for a result. Strong team performance. Nice to see Saunders included in the NLN team of the week for the second week running, much improved on last season and showing the potential that had Barnsley looking at him last season. Added to Hughes who seemed to keep both their big CF's very quiet. Read on Twitter that he cut a cast off his hand (unjury is related to his thumb) on Friday night so that he could play.

Interesting in the post game interview White talked about having wanted to play 3 at the back since July. Looking at the possible team we might actually be set up to play that way. The below looks like a pretty decent side. But it's a formation that requires players to be so well drilled in their roles and positions out of possession and in transitions.

5-3-2 / 3-5-2

--------------------------- Maddison -----------------------------

------------- Burn ----- Hughes --- Galbraith -------------
Trotman --------------------------------------------- O'Hanlon

----- Wheatley --- Nicholson/Syers --- Elliott -------

------------------- Saunders ------- Aigne --------------------

Couple of issues to iron out with the formation obviously there can be space in behind the wing backs if they're pushed on. And it is questionable whether it would get the best out of Henshall and Thompson. Perhaps if we are struggling for budget then Thompson could be seen as another forward.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Think they see Trotman as being that CB with pace to support Hughes & Galbraith or Burn as all three of those lack any pace.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Burn has looked uncomfortable as a central defender in a back four and has been bullied in the air by physical players.

He was played at right back by both 'Boro and York but won't displace Trotman. As he is quite good on the ball, maybe he will be more assured in a back 3, or may find a place in central midfield as a ball winner.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Thought Trotman had a great game. Won lots in the air and strong on the ground with some good positional awareness.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:08 pm

50 years wrote:Thought Trotman had a great game. Won lots in the air and strong on the ground with some good positional awareness.
Surely he is still just going through the motions ImageImage

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:05 am

Really enjoyed the game against on paper a form team. Thought the defence was excellent yet again. Saunders is growing into a more than decent striker and he has certainly changed my opinion about him. His cross for our goal was brilliant and it was really good to see him come to the fundraiser race night.