TW needs to put the lottery on!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

TW needs to put the lottery on!

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:49 pm

What a lucky lucky man TW is! ......these 2 wins probably saved his job yet:

In both games we were shocking, played against 10 men for much of both matches and 9 men in closing stages and STILL could not keep the ball. Today we barely created a chance or a shot on goal against 10/9 men.

What on Earth was the formation, yet again. Henshall asked to be a wing back probably for first time in his life, Trotman asked to play centre half etc etc. Why not just play Galbraith left back and Burn centre half instead of mess about with half the team. When he changed it in second half it took 10 mins and nearly every player running over to ask “ where am I playing now” before it became a 422 again.
Why pull all 10 players back for corners. Seriously, what use is say Nicholson at defending a corner, we clear it and back it comes because we have no one anywhere near the half way line. Even with a man over we still did it!

I,ve said it many times but his tactical nous and management of games is simply shocking for this level.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: TW needs to put the lottery on!

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:54 pm

‘This level’ is part time football on a shoestring budget...no point in overanalysing tactics and formations

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Quakerlad wrote:What a lucky lucky man TW is! ......these 2 wins probably saved his job yet:

In both games we were shocking, played against 10 men for much of both matches and 9 men in closing stages and STILL could not keep the ball. Today we barely created a chance or a shot on goal against 10/9 men.

What on Earth was the formation, yet again. Henshall asked to be a wing back probably for first time in his life, Trotman asked to play centre half etc etc. Why not just play Galbraith left back and Burn centre half instead of mess about with half the team. When he changed it in second half it took 10 mins and nearly every player running over to ask “ where am I playing now” before it became a 422 again.
Why pull all 10 players back for corners. Seriously, what use is say Nicholson at defending a corner, we clear it and back it comes because we have no one anywhere near the half way line. Even with a man over we still did it!

I,ve said it many times but his tactical nous and management of games is simply shocking for this level.
You obviously shut your eyes when we kept the ball for around 20 passes and created a chance out of it during the second half.
We did not play badly but we werent outstanding either. Still we won though and yet we still have the whingers coming on looking for any excuse to have a pop.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Quakerlad wrote:What a lucky lucky man TW is! ......these 2 wins probably saved his job yet:

Ah, playing the "luck" card - we only won against 9 men. Twice.

Listen, I'm not saying it's all a bed of roses, far from it, but come on - at least save your next bucket of shiit for when we play crap and lose.

The fact we won against 9 is irrelevant as it's the other team's problem if they can't keep 11 men on the pitch, and in both cases were down to 9 only in the dying minutes.

The team has failed to live up to expectation so far and has felt under pressure from day 1, this has obviously knocked confidence and this can result in bitty, up and down performances.

I mean it was only a week ago that several prominent message board regulars were virtually declaring that we were almost relegation certainties.

As always, the reality is going to lie somewhere in between the "half full" and "half empty"

The next 3 matches are very important because 2 look very winnable, I think we just need to get through these matches hopefully with 6 points, and THEN take stock of where we are, and start examining actual performances at that point.

From my point of view, I demanded that we needed a minimum of 10 points from 5 matches starting at FCUM, and that means a minimum of 4 from the next 3.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Ah, playing the "luck" card - we only won against 9 men. Twice.

Listen, I'm not saying it's all a bed of roses, far from it, but come on - at least save your next bucket of shiit for when we play crap and lose.

The fact we won against 9 is irrelevant as it's the other team's problem if they can't keep 11 men on the pitch, and in both cases were down to 9 only in the dying minutes.

The team has failed to live up to expectation so far and has felt under pressure from day 1, this has obviously knocked confidence and this can result in bitty, up and down performances.

I mean it was only a week ago that several prominent message board regulars were virtually declaring that we were almost relegation certainties.

As always, the reality is going to lie somewhere in between the "half full" and "half empty"

The next 3 matches are very important because 2 look very winnable, I think we just need to get through these matches hopefully with 6 points, and THEN take stock of where we are, and start examining actual performances at that point.

From my point of view, I demanded that we needed a minimum of 10 points from 5 matches starting at FCUM, and that means a minimum of 4 from the next 3.
Perfectly summed up. It has to be said too that our goal today came when they had 11 on the pitch.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

As did our goals v FCUM

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:30 pm

I thought that we competed well against a very physical side. played some nice football at times. Boston looked to me like they have been winning there games by bullying teams and when teams stand up them they lose? - and we stood up to them. Saunders did really well to get the ball and put in a great cross for the goal, so for me the formation worked today and I enjoyed the game. Look at the results, any team can beat any team in this league, (besides Chorley currently). Against a team doing well in the league not sure what some fans want, we have been in the lead in last two games before anyone has been sent off and the sending's off surely come from our play forcing errors in the other teams?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:41 pm

I was gonna say that to darlolad myself but just couldn't be arsed at the time, but yes - are 4 sendings off against us all down to dumb luck?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Sometimes winning a match is simply about keeping your head when the opposition are losing theirs. They were the most ill-disciplined team I have seen for years. The keeper is a nut job and all they were doing was whinging and arguing with the officials. Every mistake they made, every decision against them made them apoplexic with rage. After 15 minutes we said they'll not keep 11 men on the pitch, and if we keep our heads then we'll win. We spotted this and just played a calm game. LoidLucan said the same and is correct. What a foul, big time Charlie, arrogant team. They didn't used to be like that. Shame.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:21 pm

I like how all their fans thought they were just going to turn up and smash us with ease.

We're DARLINGTON FC FFS, not some little tin pot village side that Boston would just expect to sweep aside.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I like how all their fans thought they were just going to turn up and smash us with ease.

We're DARLINGTON FC FFS, not some little tin pot village side that Boston would just expect to sweep aside.
about time someone grew a pair . well said.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Man City would be a good team for you to support! You make yourself look daft by criticising a team for winning two games in a row, the game today being against a tough, dirty, confident side.

50 years has a much better take on the situation with this post----
50 years wrote:I thought that we competed well against a very physical side. played some nice football at times. Boston looked to me like they have been winning there games by bullying teams and when teams stand up them they lose? - and we stood up to them. Saunders did really well to get the ball and put in a great cross for the goal, so for me the formation worked today and I enjoyed the game. Look at the results, any team can beat any team in this league, (besides Chorley currently). Against a team doing well in the league not sure what some fans want, we have been in the lead in last two games before anyone has been sent off and the sending's off surely come from our play forcing errors in the other teams?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:01 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Sometimes winning a match is simply about keeping your head when the opposition are losing theirs. They were the most ill-disciplined team I have seen for years. The keeper is a nut job and all they were doing was whinging and arguing with the officials. Every mistake they made, every decision against them made them apoplexic with rage. After 15 minutes we said they'll not keep 11 men on the pitch, and if we keep our heads then we'll win. We spotted this and just played a calm game. LoidLucan said the same and is correct. What a foul, big time Charlie, arrogant team. They didn't used to be like that. Shame.
Yeah, when steve Evans was there they... hang on, let me think about this one

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Just watch 2 interviews from Boston site, Manager sounds bitter even suggesting goal keeper was unlucky to be sent off! Contrast that to a player who actually complimented our game plan, well worth a listen to both, not a pretty game but really dont care we won, well done lads

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

There was no luck about it, just hard work from an honest group of lads. I had no doubts about TW, hopefully now we have steered to calmer waters, we will start to see what our team is capable of. Rock on Tommy.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:There was no luck about it, just hard work from an honest group of lads. I had no doubts about TW, hopefully now we have steered to calmer waters, we will start to see what our team is capable of. Rock on Tommy.
I still think we have a very decent squad of players to improve even further and I wouldn’t mind seeing Burn and Syers in the side to make us more physical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:26 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:‘This level’ is part time football on a shoestring budget...no point in overanalysing tactics and formations
Eh? It's not far off the pinnacle of the semi-pro game, with a handful of professional teams in it too. And with the boost the budget we're hardly operating on a shoestring budget either.

Back to the original topic of the post - our last 6 games is W3 D1 L2. Nobody has conceded less goals than us in that time. We're 8th in the form table. Not great, but a step in the right direction. Perhaps like last season we will find sustained good form with a somewhat fortuitous result and then being able to build on it with defensive solidity.

FWIW I thought the formation worked well and suited our players, Henshall aside (who after a talking to by Ainge found his feet in that role somewhat). I wouldn't mind seeing it a bit more with O'Hanlon back at LWB

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:26 pm

al_quaker wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:‘This level’ is part time football on a shoestring budget...no point in overanalysing tactics and formations
Eh? It's not far off the pinnacle of the semi-pro game, with a handful of professional teams in it too. And with the boost the budget we're hardly operating on a shoestring budget either.

Back to the original topic of the post - our last 6 games is W3 D1 L2. Nobody has conceded less goals than us in that time. We're 8th in the form table. Not great, but a step in the right direction. Perhaps like last season we will find sustained good form with a somewhat fortuitous result and then being able to build on it with defensive solidity.

FWIW I thought the formation worked well and suited our players, Henshall aside (who after a talking to by Ainge found his feet in that role somewhat). I wouldn't mind seeing it a bit more with O'Hanlon back at LWB
We are certainly not the division's entertainers just now,with our goals for and against in those games reading something like 6:4. But we do seem a lot more solid since Hughes was relocated, and that's a big step in the right direction.

Agree the shape we're trying wants o'hanlon in it. It's a lot like England's world Cup formation.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:06 pm

The reason Tommy brought O'Hanlon and Trotman in, in the first place, was in fact to play as wing backs in a 3-5-2, but for one reason or another we just couldn't get it working at the time, you have to have the right personnel in the back 3. Obviously if we stick at 3-5-2 it looks like Trotman could be the right hand side of the back 3 with Thompson and O'Hanlon as wing backs.

It also allows Nicholson (who scores goals) to be an attacking CM rather than being stuck on the wing - him or Syers of course.

You know, that could work for me.

...................................Maddison................................

......................Trotman....Hughes....Galbraith................

Thompson......................................................O'Hanlon
............................Wheatley.....Elliott...........................
....................................Nicholson................................

.......................Saunders............Ainge..........................

Bench: GK, Henshall, Syers, Burn/Vaulks, Glover

Aye, basically the same as Saturday then.