Styche gone this week

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Styche gone this week

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Styche gone that’s the latest

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Re: Styche gone this week

Post by RonJeremy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 pm

The purse strings are becoming tighter...

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:38 pm

RonJeremy wrote:The purse strings are becoming tighter...
Alfreton so I’ve heard

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
RonJeremy wrote:The purse strings are becoming tighter...
Alfreton so I’ve heard
Not far wrong there from what I hear on the grapevine. Fee isn’t that great but we can’t afford turn it down and need to cut the wage bill.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Now that's a bit more worrying. Did we budget for a cup run or something?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Well done to all those that have slagged the lad off and made him feel un welcome this season..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Styche has lost his mojo playing for us - so if we get a fee for him then thats good.
I suppose with the emergence of Saunders, he can get a good run in the first team.
I suspect the lack of a cup run has meant we have had to cut our cloth, I would imagine Styche would be our highest paid players - along with Caton and Collins.
Another reason why we might be leaving is that fact we are stuck with Collins and Caton.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Expected/hoped would be to a bigger Club than Alfreton

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Whats happened to boost the budget money. Also the 20k we won. I just can't understand why our wage budget got slashed at the start of the season and again a few weeks into the season specially with having a decent fan base for this level

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:37 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Well done to all those that have slagged the lad off and made him feel un welcome this season..

I would hope it isn't that. It's a bit soft if it is.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:59 pm

tdk1 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:Well done to all those that have slagged the lad off and made him feel un welcome this season..

Probably not.. They are probably paying same if not more plus less travelling can't blame him really

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:29 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
tdk1 wrote:

Probably not.. They are probably paying same if not more plus less travelling can't blame him really

Also if he is going to be called up for Gibraltar, playing part time, working, he has a kid - fitting it all in will be difficult - so you can understand if he signs for a club close to home.
Greg Norman

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Sad to see a character go, but if his heart isn't with Darlo then so be it

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Who said his heart wasn't in it?

The decision appears to be financial. We've accepted an offer and will get a fee - also it's possible we may replace him for less?

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Team spirit has been excellent last two games. Styche was a revelation last season but has not looked happy since Brackley. He’s not what you'd call a team player and he never stays at a club for long. A good move for all concerned perhaps, in the long run, once the disappointment has settled in a bit? It depends a lot on whether it was a financial necessity
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:11 pm

I think Saunders is ready now to play and have a run in the team - I doubt we will sign a striker in the short term
Greg Norman

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:48 pm

The jungle drums will be banging for more funds from the fans..How do we get the budget so wrong season after season??

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:58 pm

So in the summer we raised £80k from fans, £70k Heaton, £20k celebration, £15 k turnbull/Gillies and others I cannot just think of and yet we still have to lose Styche for financial reasons.......are you kidding?!

For the first time I have some doubt over DJ. He said in the past that this season we have not budgeted for an FA cup run and that the reason we needed the fans money so much was because the budget had been slashed to a very realistic level to account for gate reductions. Eh!

Yet this week we take on a full time commercial manager, which I agree we need, yet we have to sell Styche for financial reasons. It just does not add up.

The PR people who interview these people never ask the questions that need asking, so let’s have a fans forum where we can ask for some explanations.....after all it is a fan owned club so surely we are entitled to ask?

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:58 pm

It doesn’t mean we’re broke. It’s just good business. We’re getting bugger all revenue on match days and we’re no further forward Re the sports village/pitches strategy, seemingly anyway.
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Quakerlad wrote:So in the summer we raised £80k from fans, £70k Heaton, £20k celebration, £15 k turnbull/Gillies and others I cannot just think of and yet we still have to lose Styche for financial reasons.......are you kidding?!

For the first time I have some doubt over DJ. He said in the past that this season we have not budgeted for an FA cup run and that the reason we needed the fans money so much was because the budget had been slashed to a very realistic level to account for gate reductions. Eh!

Yet this week we take on a full time commercial manager, which I agree we need, yet we have to sell Styche for financial reasons. It just does not add up.

The PR people who interview these people never ask the questions that need asking, so let’s have a fans forum where we can ask for some explanations.....after all it is a fan owned club so surely we are entitled to ask?
Did you not know the club had a sizeable aged debt to clear first?? Question DJ as much as you want but he has more financial and business experience than the vast majority of "experts" on this message board. We would be a lot worse off if he wasnt here thats for sure.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm

Players come players go, stych no loss really when did he last score, he was a selfish player always wanted to score even when others were better placed to score, his last home game an example, tried to chip the keeper when a pass to Thompson was the better option. So for me it was time for him to go, we got a good fee for him I hear more than what we paid so makes good business sense. Move on,
As for struggling money wise I think people are scaremongering, we are holding our own. Two wins six points that'll do for me. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:14 pm

onewayup wrote:Players come players go, stych no loss really.
No loss? :lol:

No matter what his form has been like this season, he more or less kept us up last season. Give the bloke some credit at least for doing that.
Typical Darlo fans slagging off the top scorer.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Quakerlad wrote:So in the summer we raised £80k from fans, £70k Heaton, £20k celebration, £15 k turnbull/Gillies and others I cannot just think of and yet we still have to lose Styche for financial reasons.......are you kidding?!
The 20k from Marathon Bet is a drop in the ocean in this day and age, it was always just going to go into the day to day running of the club.

I love how fans see we have got this money, and got that money - and feel the need to "allocate" every last penny of it, usually to new spending - and then question why, if we're not suddenly rolling in it.

The money for Heaton and Turnbull/Gillies, how much have we actually had so far?

The 80k BTB, end of the day what is your point on that? That is being spent as part of the budget, as it was intended for. Our basic budget was quite poor, based on us not wanting to spend more than was affordable, and the 80k has added to that, to make a reasonably competitive budget.

Selling Styche for financial reasons does not necessarily mean we HAD to sell him to stay afloat, it may just be that the "financial reasons" made sense when we had got the offer from the other club. It may well be that we think we can get another player for less money, leaving scope to bring another one in if we need to.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:33 pm

To be fair, Styche has now said on twitter that the gaffer has been told he has to cut the budget..

OK, question time, why?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:I think the guy was a bit of a bad influence behind the scenes...likes to have things his own way on and off the pitch...
You can't really say stuff like that. He was certainly an individual but that doesn't mean he's a bad influence?

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Okay maybe a poor choice of words and I fully recognise his contribution last term. Something has not been right this year though and he doesn’t stick around long at any club. If he was indispensable then they’d hang on surely

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:56 pm

His statement is fair enough to me. He's done well by us (helped keep us up and helped bring money in), we've done well by him (back in the Gibraltar side), he's scored some great goals and, like all strikers, missed a few, there's been some highs and lows but overall I just say thanks and good luck. We both move on.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:To be fair, Styche has now said on twitter that the gaffer has been told he has to cut the budget..
Maybe gates are lower than we budgeted for.
Last edited by Yarblockos on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 pm

loan_star wrote:
onewayup wrote:Players come players go, stych no loss really.
No loss? Image

No matter what his form has been like this season, he more or less kept us up last season. Give the bloke some credit at least for doing that.
Typical Darlo fans slagging off the top scorer.
Agree with you (ugh, that makes me feel dirty).

Styche's goal record was 18 in 33, better than one in two. Anyone who thinks that's no loss is an utter moron.

I really don't get this need to slag off players when they decide to leave. We had the same with Turnbull.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:To be fair, Styche has now said on twitter that the gaffer has been told he has to cut the budget..
Maybe gates are lower than we budgeted for.
We're averaging 1400.

Given that the "base" budget was going to be 40% lower this season, then I can't really imagine that figure being set on more than 1400.

Perhaps commercially we are behind what we forecasted, as it's not just gate money that makes up income.