Leamington v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Leamington v Darlington

Post by JE93 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:01 am

It's been an odd kind of week. The buzz of a team that is starting to produce some results on the pitch slightly tempered by the sale of Styche mid week. I won't comment much further than that on the basis of has been covered on other threads. But Leamington gives us another opportunity to build on this series of results.

Our opponents are in a similar position to us having lost their Striker Matt Stenson to Solihull Moors in the week, after he submitted a transfer request and explaining he wished to move into full time football. After a good start to the season Leamington have slipped back and now sit in 16th place with 15 points. However, they do have a game in hand over us.

There is no denying that our uplift in form has come about with increased defensive solidity. Our form in our last 5 league games is WDLWW in which time we have conceded 3 goals in 5 matches. If we can keep ourselves in games it always gives you the opportunity to snatch results.

The other big question is how we will set up. On Saturday we used 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 and after some minor blips in the opening exchanges of the game it's a formation we looked very solid with. Tommy add it Trotman to the 3 CB's seemed to in part solve the pace problem which can arise from having 3 CB's on the pitch. Not too dissimilar to how Chelsea and Man City have used Azpilicueta and Walker respectively. It's hard to break up a winning team, and as such I think it's worth trying to work with 3-5-2 a little longer.

My team would be:

5-3-2 / 3-5-2

--------------------------- Maddison -----------------------------

--------- Trotman ---- Hughes --- Galbraith -------------
Thompson ------------------------------------------- O'Hanlon

--------- Wheatley --- Nicholson --- Elliott -------------

------------------- Saunders ------- Aigne --------------------

Subs: Syers, J Burn, Hall, Henshall, Glover.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: Leamington v Darlington

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:01 am

Hard to disagree with that line-up. AW said the other week that 3-5-2 was their preferred formation and that our signings and pre-season was geared around that. Bring on tomorrow...looking forward to the drive over from Lincs with Vodka_Vic

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:38 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:Hard to disagree with that line-up. AW said the other week that 3-5-2 was their preferred formation and that our signings and pre-season was geared around that. Bring on tomorrow...looking forward to the drive over from Lincs with Vodka_Vic
Still not so sure about Elliott ,would not mind Burn in our back 3 to give us a more physical look.Would then go with that team Nick.A win tomorrow and we are back in the ball game.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:01 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:Hard to disagree with that line-up. AW said the other week that 3-5-2 was their preferred formation and that our signings and pre-season was geared around that. Bring on tomorrow...looking forward to the drive over from Lincs with Vodka_Vic
Still not so sure about Elliott ,would not mind Burn in our back 3 to give us a more physical look.Would then go with that team Nick.A win tomorrow and we are back in the ball game.

What are your reservations about Elliott Quakerman2? From any time I've seen him he always appeared to be a tidy player, good on the ball and plenty of energy.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:03 pm

My only concern is the fact that when we play with him, Wheatley and Nicholson we look very lightweight in the middle.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Just get the ball to Thompson. He can do it for us again.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

No chance of getting Azipilcueta & Walker on loan so may have to chance the boys in our squad. Agreed our improvement is the defence so need to keep a clean sheet.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm

JE93 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

What are your reservations about Elliott Quakerman2? From any time I've seen him he always appeared to be a tidy player, good on the ball and plenty of energy.
Too lightweight IMO.Agree with Divas.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Looking forward to this game, confidence in the team should be good. Although we are not scoring a lot of goals the defence is much stronger and Ainge is getting back to fitness from what was a bad injury.

Things off the pitch and on it all appear to be going in the right direction.

"Up the Quakers"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 am

We may get a result today but surely we can't continue with just Ainge and young Harvey S up front. We need a third striker in ASAP!

I don't believe we can't afford it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:00 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:We may get a result today but surely we can't continue with just Ainge and young Harvey S up front. We need a third striker in ASAP!

I don't believe we can't afford it.
Why? Ok I get why it would be beneficial, but if we have to we can revert to 4-5-1 which most were saying was our best formation anyway which does make it less important.

I'd be more inclined to get cover for Wheatley as we've struggled most when he hasn't played, but saying that our defence appears more solid now anyway.

We should strengthen, if money and availability of suitable players allow, but if either of those aren't then we should just cope as best we can.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Anyone else disappointed with the interview with Ray Simpson a couple of days ago - no questions on Styche, no questions about loan signings, no questions on the current finances.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Anyone else disappointed with the interview with Ray Simpson a couple of days ago - no questions on Styche, no questions about loan signings, no questions on the current finances.
Ray never asks any difficult questions never has and never will..

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:20 pm

The team for today
Maddison, Trotman, Hughes, Galbraith, Elliott, Henshall , Wheatley, Nicholson, Thompson, Ainge, Saunders

Subs:- Glover, A. Burn, J. Burn, Syers, Lingthep.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:26 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Anyone else disappointed with the interview with Ray Simpson a couple of days ago - no questions on Styche, no questions about loan signings, no questions on the current finances.
Ray never asks any difficult questions never has and never will..
Not really his job though. He works for the club so he's not going to put the manager in a tight spot.

Stoddart is the one who should be asking the difficult questions, but he won't rock the boat either.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Shawry - If (as it seems) Harvey is getting promoted to playing every week, then at the minimum we need to find a replacement for the space he's left.

Only two strikers is just asking for problems - as a toothless team simply won't function - see last season post Beck pre Styche or back at the Arena when Matt Clarke played up top.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:38 pm

He's still suffering from PTMGD (Post Traumatic Martin Gray Disorder)

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Why the attack on Mr Simpson, surely decorum is needed here, Mr Simpson is doing and has done an awful lot for darlington football club over the year's especially his fundraising stunts, so I think if you're not happy with his interview technique then speak to him about it he won't bite, expressing about it on here is just wrong.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:48 pm

onewayup wrote:Why the attack on Mr Simpson, surely decorum is needed here, Mr Simpson is doing and has done an awful lot for darlington football club over the year's especially his fundraising stunts, so I think if you're not happy with his interview technique then speak to him about it he won't bite, expressing about it on here is just wrong.
His interviews are for the club website, they are specific for upcoming games etc, not searching interviews about finances etc, and nor should they be.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Shawry - If (as it seems) Harvey is getting promoted to playing every week, then at the minimum we need to find a replacement for the space he's left.

Only two strikers is just asking for problems - as a toothless team simply won't function - see last season post Beck pre Styche or back at the Arena when Matt Clarke played up top.
Are we toothless if we go 4-5-1 though, common thought not long ago was it was our best formation.

I'm not arguing against getting someone else in, but not just picking the 1st available striker, or getting someone in on loan to sit on the bench

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 pm

O'Hanlon injured? or is it the formation keeping him out?
Seems to be very little team/player news coming out of the club these days
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:04 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:O'Hanlon injured? or is it the formation keeping him out?
Seems to be very little team/player news coming out of the club these days
He is still suffering hamstring injury

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Styche scored on his debut.. Shocked

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Ainge. 1-0

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:20 pm

1 up 13 mins

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 pm

2-0 saunders

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 pm

At this rate Saunders will be getting snapped up by a bigger club... Good on him deserves it

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:41 pm

LEAMINGTON DOWN TO 10

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:42 pm

What is it with teams getting players sent off against us..lol

quakerfan