Darlington V Guiseley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Guiseley

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Looking forward to this one, after watching them play Tuesday night, if they can replicate and sustain that first 25 that would be fantastic, I know it’s a big ask,but why not.

MikeinBlack2

Re: Darlington V Guiseley

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:59 am

Darlopartisan wrote:Looking forward to this one, after watching them play Tuesday night, if they can replicate and sustain that first 25 that would be fantastic, I know it’s a big ask,but why not.
Because we're Darlo! lol
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 am

I just want us to win at home. It's badly needed. I'm not sure if i even care if it's ugly at this point.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 am

H1987 wrote:I just want us to win at home. It's badly needed. I'm not sure if i even care if it's ugly at this point.
Don’t think anyone would mind if it’s ugly.If the ball bounces off Harvey’s arse onto Ainges nose and goes in that’ll do nicely thank you.
As long as it’s only goal of the game :thumbup:

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:00 pm

H1987 wrote:Don’t think anyone would mind if it’s ugly.If the ball bounces off Harvey’s arse onto Ainges nose and goes in that’ll do nicely thank you.
As long as it’s only goal of the game
Think you also forgot Thommo's backside!

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Hahah it was ugly alright :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Another point and a clean sheet may look OK, but we rode our luck as Guiseley hit posts, bar and blazed over. Ainge's injury seems serious so squad needs strengthening up front. Just as well we don't have a game next week. Chance for injuries to clear and/or sign or loan players. Looked lightweight in midfield and missed first half chances.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Poor at home yet again.

Not fit enough, they looked yards quicker in second half, had more desire and won most second balls. Rode our luck otherwise could easily have lost 0-2/3. It’s no coincidence that if we have a good spell in games it’s always the first half and we finish poorly. Some Players were blowing after 1/2 hour. No excuse for lack of fitness, and please don’t sign anyone else who travels up and down motorway, it is clearly taking its toll.

Too weak in midfield with 3 small players. Yes skilful, but lack any physical presence as a group of midfielders and just get overrun by physical teams. From memory we had 1 shot on goal all game. Far too often it was hoof ball hoping Saunders pace would feature.

Apart from Trotman, I,m sorry but there isn’t one player in my opinion that TW has signed that has improved the squad. That, fitness and tactics is down to TW and as you know, I,m not a fan of his!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Poor at home yet again.

Not fit enough, they looked yards quicker in second half, had more desire and won most second balls. Rode our luck otherwise could easily have lost 0-2/3. It’s no coincidence that if we have a good spell in games it’s always the first half and we finish poorly. Some Players were blowing after 1/2 hour. No excuse for lack of fitness, and please don’t sign anyone else who travels up and down motorway, it is clearly taking its toll.

Too weak in midfield with 3 small players. Yes skilful, but lack any physical presence as a group of midfielders and just get overrun by physical teams. From memory we had 1 shot on goal all game. Far too often it was hoof ball hoping Saunders pace would feature.

Apart from Trotman, I,m sorry but there isn’t one player in my opinion that TW has signed that has improved the squad. That, fitness and tactics is down to TW and as you know, I,m not a fan of his!
They were saying on fans radio how a few Darlo players looked leggy.Agree that our midfield is far too lightweight, this has plagued us all season and will continue.Not sure what the answer is, TW is pretty much stuck with this squad but how many more games will Henshall have in order to prove himself.Has not done a thing IMO and appears to still be struggling for fitness.Tommy selected a very attacking lineup to get at Guiseley yet we have a single shot on goal.Totally unacceptable, fitness levels have to be questioned and the playoffs are a pipe dream.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Fitness is down to the players at this level. Wright only has them once or twice a week so its up to them to keep themselves fit the rest of the time.
We were our own worst enemies today, giving the ball away for too easily and not being switched on enough. The set up and tactics were the same as they have been for the last few games and other than losing the two goal lead against 10 men I haven't heard many complaints from people who were at the games.
We do seem to struggle when teams are in our faces, thats a lack of mental strength rather than a lack of ability.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:00 pm

I have said it before until we get rid of Collins and Caton, Tommy will not be able to sign anyone.
However, I do think we can go cap in hand to Sunderland, boro and Newcastle and try and sign some younger players on loan.
Another thing is the bench, we have Lingthep who is 16/17 - why not have Caton on the bench - I just don't get it. Yes Caton is on his way at the end of the season, but surely he knows he has to put himself in the shop window and perform - we are paying his wages at the end of the day. I do think Caton would be a good replacement for Henshall who is quite clearly struggling with fitness and cannot last a full 90.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:19 pm

loan_star wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:
Fitness is down to the players at this level. Wright only has them once or twice a week so its up to them to keep themselves fit the rest of the time.
We were our own worst enemies today, giving the ball away for too easily and not being switched on enough. The set up and tactics were the same as they have been for the last few games and other than losing the two goal lead against 10 men I haven't heard many complaints from people who were at the games.
We do seem to struggle when teams are in our faces, thats a lack of mental strength rather than a lack of ability.
A lot of teams at this level consist of eleven burly, pacey, fit blokes.

The only way to combat that is by playing around them which, at this level, is difficult to do with the players available.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Just tell me why we are absolutely clueless when we take throw inns, no movement , no plan it’s part of our game that needs improving , in a word amateurish.
I know its only a small point but come on.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:38 pm

Just listened to the post match interview from Tommy Wright and I am completely baffled.
The talk from him pre match was all about entertaining the fans. Then in this interview he sounds grateful we have hung on for a point. He also says that Guiseley were better than our last two opponents (previous opponents were Bradford PA who currently sit 2nd and stuffed York today). Then there is the issue with his selection of the bench.
Then he insinuating that he knows he will get criticism from some fans - I am by no means a Tommy out fan, but you have to admit some of the decisions and comments are a bit strange.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:10 pm

That interview takes the biscuit. A few days ago it was all....it’s about time we put on a show at home, entertained the fans, get on the front foot etc etc.

Now he is pleased with today’s performance and how we dug in for a point against another mid table team at home.....sorry, a really good point! A really lucky point for sure.

We were rarely on the front foot, had one goal effort and I must have missed the entertainment!

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Just listened to TW’s post match interview. He describes Ainge as our Talisman.........that is defined as an inspiration, a luck bringer, an inspirer who lifts your spirits

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:31 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Then there is the issue with his selection of the bench.
Who would you have on the bench then? We aren't exactly blessed with experienced options.
Todays game was dreary and we didn't play the type of football we have in the last few games which was disappointing.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:56 pm

According to TW there's been an illness going round the club, similar to away at Brackley last season. That would explain the lads being generally leggy, so in the circumstances an OK point. Or am I being unreasonably positive?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:29 pm

On the point of no movement why when the other team has a corner do we pull everybody back and then when the keeper gets the ball he has no outlet really bugs me this one

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:29 pm

On the point of no movement why when the other team has a corner do we pull everybody back and then when the keeper gets the ball he has no outlet really bugs me this one

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:According to TW there's been an illness going round the club, similar to away at Brackley last season. That would explain the lads being generally leggy, so in the circumstances an OK point. Or am I being unreasonably positive?
No, I don't think so.

Guiseley looked a good side. They were tough, competitive, well disciplined and came at us looking for the win. I expect to see them climbing up the league table in the weeks to come.

I thought the players we had out today played about as well as they could and worked hard to get their point in a high tempo game, they would have lost this game a few weeks back.

At present we haven't got a particularly strong squad, ideally we need additions to strengthen us but this isn't the fault of the players who are out on the pitch - the players today should be applauded for their hard work.
Mission Impossible wrote:Just listened to TW’s post match interview. He describes Ainge as our Talisman.........that is defined as an inspiration, a luck bringer, an inspirer who lifts your spirits
I don't think Ainge has done nearly enough to warrant this description. Is this wishful thinking on TW's part?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:09 pm

He can’t really come out and say ‘Simon’s not cut it’ in public. I’m all for the boss bigging up his players in public and don’t think we can read too much into any player appraisal done in the media glare. I think we’re still a work in progress (on and off the field) but generally moving in the right direction

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:34 pm

darlo reborn wrote:On the point of no movement why when the other team has a corner do we pull everybody back and then when the keeper gets the ball he has no outlet really bugs me this one
It bugs me when u post the same post twice

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:03 am

If you told me we'd lose once in eight league games I wouldn't have believed it. I did think during the commentary that we were very sloppy at times in giving the ball away and then strung about 15 passes together but with no final effort on goal. Oh for a midfield enforcer!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 am

Several good points made here, really need to get back to basics. Throw ins - just go down the line, when defending corners - leave one player upfield to give an option for quick break, defend by getting goal side and simple passes either to feet or into space behind the defence. At least we did not lose to Guiseley, but we need to be better especially at home.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 am

jjljks wrote:Several good points made here, really need to get back to basics. Throw ins - just go down the line, when defending corners - leave one player upfield to give an option for quick break, defend by getting goal side and simple passes either to feet or into space behind the defence. At least we did not lose to Guiseley, but we need to be better especially at home.
Manager of the month award for November is already in the bag for you then.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 am

jjljks wrote:Several good points made here, really need to get back to basics. Throw ins - just go down the line, when defending corners - leave one player upfield to give an option for quick break, defend by getting goal side and simple passes either to feet or into space behind the defence. At least we did not lose to Guiseley, but we need to be better especially at home.
If you listen to Whitey in interviews he's always banging on about the basics which the players forget under pressure. I guess eventually with practice it will 'train the brain' to do it automatically. Perhaps this is what people mean by a new squad 'gelling' - instilling the basics until they're automatic.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:42 am

Points made about the players seeming sluggish and lacking lustre are valid but having played three games in a week and, putting on such a good show against a good side, our lot will be a bit knackered. I didn't see Saturdays game but having seen them put in so much effort at Bradford it might be expecting too much to see them continue like that. If they were lucky against Guisley maybe they deserved to be. Having knocked TW in the past maybe I was wrong but I still wonder what AW is doing with our defence.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 pm

The fact we have such a thin squad basically says to me that we have underestimated what we can afford. If this is a competitive budget for a shot at the top 7 then I think we have fallen well short, a competitive budget to stay in the league then probably about right (barring any more firesales/injuries).

It's all been about keeping people interested and of course at the start of the season there has to be a positive vibe but maybe expectations were raised too much and now it's a case of the reality being between breaking the top 10 at best and avoiding a relegation fight on what is clearly a very scrimpish budget. The fact we have youths filling the bench and no loan signings just highlights the issue.

On the face of it the last few results have been positive, albeit possibly could have been better but TW can take a little bit of credit for acheiving some stability. My doubts still remain and still need to be convinced of his longer term credentials.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:43 pm

We have kept a clean sheet against a well organised team who play tight themselves and don't concede many so come on give the lads a bit of slack, Saunders ain't gonna score every week we will struggle at times if Tommo ain't on his game which seems to be for the last 5/6 games we have a thin squad on which we knew at the start of the season.. We can't compete with the likes of Spendmore and Kiddies and York so let's not slate them get behind them, we are all managers on here Arnt we TW do this do that chill out lads we are where we are and probably for the for seeable

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk