Martin grey appointed sporting director at shildon

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Martin grey appointed sporting director at shildon

Post by shildonlad » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:23 am

Is it really needed at that level not to mention a head of recruitment
http://www.shildonafc.com/2018/10/shild ... -director/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Comfortably_numb
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Martin grey appointed sporting director at shildon

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:30 am

Sholdon bust in 2 years then...

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 am

Have they come into some new found wealth?

He has clearly only went there because big money will be involved.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:04 am

Harry Dunn going as well looks like the gang is getting back together!

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am

Unless he’s going to try and work his way into the managers job

I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 am

lo36789 wrote:Harry Dunn going as well looks like the gang is getting back together!
Does gray always have to have his cronies with him in what ever job he gets as part of the deal?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:36 am

I think this role will further assist with the growth of his academy and I'm sure that he will be pushing players through.
However, if I was the Shildon manager I would not be sleeping easy at night, I think he is in prime position to take this job when it becomes available. Yes I'm sure he would say that he doesn't want it, however, circumstances change and he needs to build his reputation again after his disastrous spell at York, and I doubt his ego could resist another chance to take a team through the leagues.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 pm

shildonlad wrote:Is it really needed at that level not to mention a head of recruitment
http://www.shildonafc.com/2018/10/shild ... -director/

Sorry this really is a joke appointment at this level...…………………...unless of course he can persuade Shildon to sign a certain out of favour Darlo players who wears gloves please?

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:42 pm

They won the lottery or something...

I get that Shildon are ambitious, they have been improving the ground over the last year, but at what cost are they willing to gamble by bringing in Martin Gray

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Looks like Shildon have fallen for the “I’ll set an academy up and produce players for the first team and it wont cost you a penny” line while what he means is “I need a club that can get into the league above that I can affiliate my academy with to make it a bigger draw by playing in the National League Alliance and I can trouser the money from the education grants and not put any of the players in the team”.

Wonder how long it is until Darlington Town are renamed Shildon Reserves? It’s certainly going to be easier to get Shildon into the Evo-Stik with the apparent financial backing that they have which is what he needs for his academy to prosper

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:42 pm

Oh come on good luck to MG and Shildon

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:41 pm

I doesn't affect us does it??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:13 pm

I don’t care who the director of football is it’s simply not needed at that level in my opinion, shildon will now have the backroom staff as big as national league clubs. It’s common that directors of football are often failed managers so won’t be long before he pokes his nose in about team selection, tactics etc. You hear non league clubs using phrases, community club, self sufficient, sustainability etc, housing money at directors of football goes against all this

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:00 pm

Wonder what Mike Amos has to say about this new era for Shildon? :o

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:54 am

shildonlad wrote:I don’t care who the director of football is it’s simply not needed at that level in my opinion, shildon will now have the backroom staff as big as national league clubs. It’s common that directors of football are often failed managers so won’t be long before he pokes his nose in about team selection, tactics etc. You hear non league clubs using phrases, community club, self sufficient, sustainability etc, housing money at directors of football goes against all this

I don't know the in's and out's of how these football academys are funded, but they seem to be popping up all over the place so I presume they are well funded by grants from the government, the FA etc etc - so I don't think the cost to Shildon will be massive - I think its more of a partnership between his academy and Shildon FC.
At Darlington's new academy, the carrot is getting on the first team / bench of Darlo FC, at Martin Grays academy it will be the chance of getting first team experience with Shildon.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:02 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I think this role will further assist with the growth of his academy and I'm sure that he will be pushing players through.
However, if I was the Shildon manager I would not be sleeping easy at night, I think he is in prime position to take this job when it becomes available. Yes I'm sure he would say that he doesn't want it, however, circumstances change and he needs to build his reputation again after his disastrous spell at York, and I doubt his ego could resist another chance to take a team through the leagues.

Yes, it must be funny being a manager with another manager (director of football!) sitting upstairs . Gray had it with Penney at York, and it was in fact Penney who phoned him up with the bad news.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I think this role will further assist with the growth of his academy and I'm sure that he will be pushing players through.

Yes, it must be funny being a manager with another manager (director of football!) sitting upstairs . Gray had it with Penney at York, and it was in fact Penney who phoned him up with the bad news.
How long before MG makes a similar call. Maybe five to eight weeks.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:46 pm

onewayup wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

How long before MG makes a similar call. Maybe five to eight weeks.
And brings in one of his mates as manager that's if he does not fancy job himself

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm

A nice little interview on talk sport this aft about Lewis Wing and where he came from..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Good luck to him and Shildon. He might be an abrasive sod but he's got ambition and I'd like to see him get his chance in the football league one day.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:24 am

Met a Shildon fan last weekend and he was dismayed at the appointment. Thought Gray would make them bust in no time at all.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 am

Martin Gray at Darlington was not the one responsible for the financial issues. He was manager and repeatedly asked for resources.

He did not sign the cheques or the contracts offered to players.

The financial controllers at the football club are the ones who should be being blamed. They failed to stand up to Gray's requests and failed to manage the budgets.

They failed to say no to Gray's unrealistic demands. Any manager in any business wants more resources.

Whilst aGray has lots of faults and is not someone I would wish to be employing, the previous financial problems are the fault of those controlling the finances

divas

Post by divas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am

In simplistic terms yes. But things are never that simple.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:58 am

And if the directors had refused to release funds and Gray spat his dummy out and decided to move on, how would that have looked taking into account the success we were having on the field.Very difficult for our board and you are wrong to point the finger totally at them Spen.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:13 am

Take off your rose tinted glasses spen there is a bigger picture, you only see and hear what you want to. Or you don't know dam all about the situation.
Last edited by onewayup on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:14 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:And if the directors had refused to release funds and Gray spat his dummy out and decided to move on, how would that have looked taking into account the success we were having on the field.Very difficult for our board and you are wrong to point the finger totally at them Spen.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
It would have looked like people controlling the finances and preventing the club getting into financial problems.

If Gray spat his dummy out because the financial controllers refused to put the club in trouble, then it would reflect bad on him like it did last season when he did exactly that at both the Supporters meeting & when he went to York

The people signing the cheques and allowing the overspending are to blame.

John Tempest is doing exactly what should have been done. Monitoring the finances and where necessary taking action to prevent financial problems is selling Styche and taking steps to increase the income.

Only an idiot would suggest that financial controllers should not be controlling the finances.

Sadly football attracts such both to the boardroom and as supporters.

Managers are exactly that. They are there to manage. They are not the ultimate financial controllers. Those responsible for employing the manager and controlling him have to endure the manager is kept in check where necessary.

The same pattern of reckless overspending happens across football at all level... remember Leeds United under Peter Rosedale, Newcastle under Freddie Shepherd? Sunderland under every chairman etc.

Even at non league level...look at Nuneaton...running a full time club on part time gates etc

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:18 am

onewayup wrote:Take off your rose tinted glasses spen there is a bigger picture, you only see and hear what you want to. Or you don't know dam all about the situation.
I think the only one with rose tinted spectacles are the one who fail to see that not having financial controls and signing off expenses the club could not afford in the past is why the club has repeatedly overspent.

There is nothing rose tinted about saying that if financial controllers do not control the expenditure they have failed.

John Tempest us saying exactly that in his recent programme notes and he has done what needs to be done to control finances by selling Styche to reduce income, get a lump sum in AND by looking to increase revenue by appointing a commercial manager.

Are you suggesting John Tempest has got it wrong by looking to control the club's finances? He is doing exactly what I am saying should have been done previously when Gray was manager

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 am

Spen read what was written, I said there was a bigger picture, don't put your own spin on it. Or make your view is the right one. We all have opinions that is all fans everywhere.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:58 am

onewayup wrote:Spen read what was written, I said there was a bigger picture, don't put your own spin on it. Or make your view is the right one. We all have opinions that is all fans everywhere.
I am not putting a spin on anything. I am staying the facts and the correct legal position

Whether you like Martin Gray or not, when he was manager the financial controllers of the club failed to control the club's finances, hence the cash calls on fans to deal with the debts and cash flow issues

Are you going to tell John Tempest he is doing the wrong thing by trying to controllers the football club finances?

He is doing exactly what I said the previous financial controllers should have done.

Indeed, it is one of the legal duties of a statutory director of a business.

That is not spin it's cold hard facts and law.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Spen why do you insist on bringing anyone,s name into the equation. No one has criticised any of the people who you name I think you have some agenda against the people you name you are a right pillock. End of.