REECE STYCHE TRANSFERRED TO ALFRETON CONFIRMED

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: REECE STYCHE TRANSFERRED TO ALFRETON CONFIRMED

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:17 pm

1400 what though? Maybe we have more kids than we expected?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Assumed the same - he's surely bigging himself up and claiming the marathonbet money.
bga wrote:
AndyPark wrote:I've heard that Alfreton paid 60k for Reece.

Tops what we paid last season & also takes a hefty wage off the wage bill.
Reece's Tweet refers to HIM bringing in nearly £60,000 to the Club. Must admit when I read this I took this to include the Marathon Bet figure as well. Perhaps the fee was nearer £40,000? Either way Reece may have forgotten how much we forked out for him to offset against the £60,000!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:47 am

And who was it that piled up that snow in the first place?

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:56 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:And who was it that piled up that snow in the first place?
Or requested he did it...

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am

I think the sale of Styche shows where we are as a club. We have reached the ceiling under fan ownership and simply do not have the resources to get out of this league. I'm not saying its impossible to get out of this league, as anything is possible, but we have to face facts that we may be in this league for a few years to come.
We have massive issues with the ground, we do need our own home to maximise revenue but this is almost as likely as me winning the lottery.
I saw a news piece on Billingham Synthonia on Look North and how they have moved out of their ground as it was too expensive to run, and how dilapidated it looks now - it looked like when Feethams was abandoned. They are trying to start again and are ground sharing with Norton. Just reminded of me of our plight and how far we have come. But I am not sure where we are going to next or whether we will have to make do with a period where things are a bit stale - which for some Darlo fans, given that roller coaster ride we have been on, might be good enough for them.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:44 am

LoidLucan wrote:Forget B for Brodie.... it should be dial B for Bazza.....

The Bald Messiah is back in the gym, had his knee done and is only 40....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soc ... 64973.html
Quakerz will be excited by this prospect. :D

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:09 am

divas wrote:
Or took the picture ....
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
divas wrote:
Or took the picture ....
Or voted for it....but ultimately he needed to do it, I don't think he has in anyway tried to diminish our part in everything, I just think he is listing what he feels are his achievements whilst with us.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:07 am

I wonder if our new Commercial Director was budgeted for, one in, one out?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:49 am

You’d expect any commercial director worth his salt would cover his wage from day one. I’d be disappointed given the lack of focus that the commercial aspect has had for 5 years and the contact boom he should have if there aren’t any quick wins in the coming months. I’m sure he’ll be targeted to at least double his salary.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 pm

I wasn't putting Styche down. He's been brilliant for us, the £20,000 was a culmination of efforts, his included. Sad to see him go but we'll always be here and life goes on.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Spyman wrote:1400 what though? Maybe we have more kids than we expected?

Indeed! Or more Over-62s than expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:21 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:But I am not sure where we are going to next or whether we will have to make do with a period where things are a bit stale - which for some Darlo fans, given that roller coaster ride we have been on, might be good enough for them.
Why is this deemed to be 'good enough' and making do? If we want more we need to pay more.

We have no right to a benefactor and the motives of a benefactor are always a bit dubious unless a wealthy fan - I'd of thought if we had one of those who had money to burn they would have come forward by now.

If things aren't good enough for some then what happens they are no longer fans. Well then we have a smaller fan base and we will realign expectations again. We will ultimately get the club that the fans are prepared to support.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 pm

lo36789 wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:But I am not sure where we are going to next or whether we will have to make do with a period where things are a bit stale - which for some Darlo fans, given that roller coaster ride we have been on, might be good enough for them.
Why is this deemed to be 'good enough' and making do? If we want more we need to pay more.

We have no right to a benefactor and the motives of a benefactor are always a bit dubious unless a wealthy fan - I'd of thought if we had one of those who had money to burn they would have come forward by now.

If things aren't good enough for some then what happens they are no longer fans. Well then we have a smaller fan base and we will realign expectations again. We will ultimately get the club that the fans are prepared to support.
agreed...the same people not happy now would be the same ones grumbling about mid-table mediocrity in the FL. Christ I remember people booing the team off at half time at The Arena because it was 0-0
We as fans and as a town get the club that will reflect the extent of our level of support for it

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:12 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

agreed...the same people not happy now would be the same ones grumbling about mid-table mediocrity in the FL. Christ I remember people booing the team off at half time at The Arena because it was 0-0
We as fans and as a town get the club that will reflect the extent of our level of support for it
True - but a lot of fans of lots of clubs are arsey. Look at Ipswich fans wanting McCarthy out....look where they are now. Charlton another great example - fans not happy with Curbishley getting them to 8th in the prem all those years ago.

Clubs that get through this are ones with strong leadership. I think DJ has shown this with the Styche deal - its a sound financial decision - not one built on old style gambling heart over head decisions.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 pm

[quote="divas"]You’d expect any commercial director worth his salt would cover his wage from day one. I’d be disappointed given the lack of focus that the commercial aspect has had for 5 years and the contact boom he should have if there aren’t any quick wins in the coming months. I’m sure he’ll be targeted to at least double his salary.[/quote

Two new advertising boards this week.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:20 am

Two new sponsors confirmed already:

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/welcome-to-smart-pads

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/welcome ... -utilities

Only small wins, but without us having someone in place to go out and get them it's likely we might not have brought these sponsors on board. Let's hope this is the start of lots of new sponsorship money coming into the club. Medium term target has to be getting as many if not all of the perimeter fencing covered in advertising boards.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:05 am

Understandably there's a lot of conjecture going on here but we need facts. Presumably the accounts will show what we bring in and pay out in some detail and as we own the club we should have access. If we moved what happens to the hundreds of thousands £s we've spent on infrastructure and don't we have to pay back grants if we move? Seems like DJ is trying to keep a sensible control over finances and maybe we need to show some support as well as asking the questions.... politely.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:36 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Understandably there's a lot of conjecture going on here but we need facts. Presumably the accounts will show what we bring in and pay out in some detail and as we own the club we should have access. If we moved what happens to the hundreds of thousands £s we've spent on infrastructure and don't we have to pay back grants if we move? Seems like DJ is trying to keep a sensible control over finances and maybe we need to show some support as well as asking the questions.... politely.
DFCSG accounts were emailed to members ahead of AGM last night and it was mentioned that DFC are hoping to hold their AGM in January. Lee from infrastructure group mentioned sporting hub & grants so should be included in email which is normally sent to members a few days after agm.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks. I think we all just want to be on an even keel and have transparency where possible.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:33 am

Make that three new sponsors on board:

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/welcome ... electrical

Safe to say the new commercial director has had a busy first week. Long may it continue.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:43 am

The acid test comes when he exhausts his immediate list of “favours” but plenty of positive talk at last night’s AGM. Let’s just hope he can deliver on it. Sounds like a large part of the role will be to work on the relationship with the rugby club - well it needs to be as it’s pretty fundamental to our commercial offering. If he can do that then we’ll be in a much much better place. For a club our size I firmly believe a good commercial manager is the second most crucial appointment and so glad we’ve finally got a full time one.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 am

Styche got off to a flier by scoring in 7 minutes but must have been gutted when Chester nicked all 3 pts on 90+5 mns!

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:02 pm

jjljks wrote:Styche got off to a flier by scoring in 7 minutes but must have been gutted when Chester nicked all 3 pts on 90+5 mns!
At least he is used to not winning in NLN. Hasn't he only played in one winning team this season? This bloke is an Albatross!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am

QuakerPete wrote:
Spyman wrote:1400 what though? Maybe we have more kids than we expected?

Indeed! Or more Over-62s than expected

Probably more 62+ than is good for the club. We are the diminishing group as the grim reaper moves around. The kids are needed to replace the old guard so essential to get them introduced to the club via offers like free tickets to primary school footballers or kids free with an adult etc. Great to see players getting involved with the community (difficult when some live so far from Darlo). The Academy and young generation are the future of the club and they need every encouragement if we are to survive.

Mind, the over 62s could mention the club in their last will & testament when the grim reaper finally does catch up with them. :o

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:29 pm

Im over 62 and hope to be around a lot of years yet

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Taking of money, have been wondering why Basford Utd have been doing so well. Here's the answer. Yet another project club. Within a couple of years in our league there'll be no one left but us who aren't a plaything, what with South Shields probably coming up from the South. It just gets tougher. I really thought 5 years ago or so that more and more ex-league clubs would become fan-owned, as would many more non-League teams. What's actually happened is just an explosion of project clubs.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/not ... ew-1934486

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Taking of money, have been wondering why Basford Utd have been doing so well. Here's the answer. Yet another project club. Within a couple of years in our league there'll be no one left but us who aren't a plaything, what with South Shields probably coming up from the South. It just gets tougher. I really thought 5 years ago or so that more and more ex-league clubs would become fan-owned, as would many more non-League teams. What's actually happened is just an explosion of project clubs.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/not ... ew-1934486
At least they didn't say "The Premier League in 5 years" :roll:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Not going to Wembley this season