Trophy game on Friday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Trophy game on Friday

Post by divas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:10 pm

I do love a Friday night game!

Just £10 in too

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/buildba ... e-arranged

Buy your tickets online

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/dfcsg/214618/

Maurice_Peddelty

Re: Trophy game on Friday

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:59 pm

It all looks pretty good to me. Good opportunity to see a match and save money - I could easily spend more than a tenner in the pub in two hours on a Friday night!

piggy

Post by piggy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:40 am

If its a draw do we play extra time and pens or will it go to a replay?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:25 am

piggy wrote:If its a draw do we play extra time and pens or will it go to a replay?
It'll be a replay.

The previous qualifying rounds had the same.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:54 am

I'll be there with my niece, love night games :D

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Last year if I remember rightly both clubs could choose if the tie was a one off then penalties or if it went to a replay. Wonder if that's been abandoned this season?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Last year if I remember rightly both clubs could choose if the tie was a one off then penalties or if it went to a replay. Wonder if that's been abandoned this season?
I think the rules may vary depending on the stage of the competition. They certainly did in the FA Vase

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Friday night games are brilliant. I'm all in favour for more of them.

SFG

Post by SFG » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Wonder if this is a missed opportunity? Apparently (and unusually) Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland all away that weekend. Maybe we would have got a bigger crowd on the Sunday if Saturday was impossible?
Also better for fans who travel long distances.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm disappointed, I think we'd have got a better attendance on a Sunday afternoon than a Friday evening.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:44 pm

SFG wrote:Wonder if this is a missed opportunity? Apparently (and unusually) Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland all away that weekend. Maybe we would have got a bigger crowd on the Sunday if Saturday was impossible?
TBH Pete we won't get anymore on a Sunday compared to a Friday night due to CBA and Christmas shopping etc , We have a hard core and this game won't entice the floating supporters , as for people who travel Telford won't bring more on a Sunday than a Friday night, I'd guess 1050 hardcore which is not bad

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 pm

SFG wrote:Wonder if this is a missed opportunity? Apparently (and unusually) Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland all away that weekend. Maybe we would have got a bigger crowd on the Sunday if Saturday was impossible?
There are two clubs involved here though,it’s not all about what would be better for us.Maybe Telford didn’t fancy Sunday,maybe the clubhouse isn’t available or the pitch is booked or we can’t get volunteers in.
Personally I much prefer a night game for the better atmosphere so I’m well happy :thumbup:

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Prefer the Friday night game we always seem to get a few more through the gate. Looking forward to it.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am

(a) Extra Time and Kicks from the Penalty Mark in First Matches
If a first match is drawn after 90 minutes, an extra 30 minutes may be played (15 minutes each way). The agreement for the playing of extra time shall be agreed in writing between both Clubs and confirmed in writing by the Home Club to The Association on The Match Arrangement Form which must be received by The Association within seven days of the date of the draw and notified to the Referee on the Official Team Sheet no later than 45 minutes prior to kick-off.
Clubs may mutually agree, and confirm on the Match Arrangement Form, to determine the winner of a first match drawn after extra time by taking kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the International Football Association Board procedure. The agreed arrangement must be notified to the Referee not later than 45 minutes prior to kick-off.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 am

I'd be surprised if we get a 1000 in, hope I'm wrong of course. I won't be able to make it as I'll be working. :cry:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 pm

What makes the Sunday a better sell than a Friday night?

You could entire all of those fans in on a Friday. I have a couple of good mates who are Boro fans, and the bit they like most about the Championship is the Friday night games. Good for a beer after work. It's way more fan friendly than a Sunday afternoon.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:29 am

Before the advent of premiership football on a Sunday I would have said Sunday would have been better but not now Friday is more likely to generate a higher crowd even though that might only be 1000.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:49 pm

If it's all square a replay will be played on Tuesday 27th Nov

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:37 am

If I'm honest we are not going to win this trophy so here is a message to any players reading this. Go out and enjoy it, with passion like you did last time we played them, quick passing and absolutely no, and I mean no hoofing the ball (yes that's you Tez) up front or over the bloody stands.
Don't mind the few moaning and groaning when a pass doesn't work but get it forward and have the game won before Ainge and Ohanlon come on for the last 30 seconds.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:56 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
TBH Pete we won't get anymore on a Sunday compared to a Friday night due to CBA and Christmas shopping etc , We have a hard core and this game won't entice the floating supporters , as for people who travel Telford won't bring more on a Sunday than a Friday night, I'd guess 1050 hardcore which is not bad
I'll be there and I'm coming from Marske, as I do every weekend, so no excuses if you live in Darlo.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 am

Unfortunately the stat of 2 wins in the last 14 league and cup games at BM severely hampers the efforts in getting the waverers down there for a game like this. It's preaching to the converted on here because most of us rock up no matter how bad the home record is becoming. The rest base their decision on the quality of the experience, the football served up and, most of all, results.

At least I can't see the crowd being anywhere near as bad as our first FA Trophy game at the Arena the year we won it. I was one of the brave 432 who saw us beat Tamworth. Maybe it's an omen that we beat Telford on the way to the final that year.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm

432!

Me and my son were the 2, I remember the empty Arena.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Aye, no wonder Raj pulled the plug ;)

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Should be an interesting game on Friday. Tbh I think the club made the right call on the game time and pricing. Hopefully we can get at least 1000 in to watch us under the lights.

As for the game. Well judging on league position it should be a tough one. Telford have continued their good early form and kept themselves in the playoffs almost all season. Makes it almost ironic that our most complete performance of the season was a convincing 3-0 win against them. Perhaps even more interestingly it came using a formation that we now seem to have turned away from. In that game we used a 4-2-3-1.

-------------------------- Maddison ----------------------------

Trotman --------- Burn ------ Hughes ----- O'Hanlon

--------------------- Elliott ------- Wheatley -------------------

Thompson ----------- Syers ------------------ Nicholson

--------------------------- Saunders -------------------------------

Subs: Burns, Glover, Lycett , Henshall, Morrison. 

On the above formation I think it moves Thompson back into a position where he can be more of a threat. However I don't think this gets the best out of Ainge he isn't mobile enough to trouble the CB's and it becomes difficult as unless we can get the wide players in behind we tend to either lump it at Ainge or just play infront of the opposition.

More recently Tommy seems to have favoured a 3-5-2 something like:

--------------------------- Maddison -----------------------------

------------- Trotman ----- Hughes --- Galbraith -------------
Thompson ------------------------------------------- O'Hanlon

------------ Wheatley ---- Nicholson ---- Elliott -------------

------------------- Saunders ------- Aigne --------------------

Subs: Syers, J Burn, Hemmings, Henshall, Glover.

I do think this gets more out of Ainge. He occupies the CB's and allows Harvey the space in behind as they have to come forward and challenge for the ball with him. We definitely lose something from Thompson putting him at RWB however unless he plays there it's hard to find a place for him in that team. If you moved Trotman wider and Burn into CB it's likely the starting spot for Thompson would be on the bench. Also after a good performance and goal against Hereford it's hard to put Syers into the above team and on performance both he and Nicholson deserve their places.

Tough decisions for the manager and a tough game too..Hopefully travelling up on the Friday when presumably some Telford players may have worked in the morning may play into our favour. We could really do with a little FA Trophy run for some cash windfall. It's also another season where this is the only possibility of playing pools. Which could make for a great occasion.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:37 pm

JE93 wrote:Should be an interesting game on Friday. Tbh I think the club made the right call on the game time and pricing. Hopefully we can get at least 1000 in to watch us under the lights.

As for the game. Well judging on league position it should be a tough one. Telford have continued their good early form and kept themselves in the playoffs almost all season. Makes it almost ironic that our most complete performance of the season was a convincing 3-0 win against them. Perhaps even more interestingly it came using a formation that we now seem to have turned away from. In that game we used a 4-2-3-1.

On the above formation I think it moves Thompson back into a position where he can be more of a threat. However I don't think this gets the best out of Ainge he isn't mobile enough to trouble the CB's and it becomes difficult as unless we can get the wide players in behind we tend to either lump it at Ainge or just play infront of the opposition.

I do think this gets more out of Ainge. He occupies the CB's and allows Harvey the space in behind as they have to come forward and challenge for the ball with him. We definitely lose something from Thompson putting him at RWB however unless he plays there it's hard to find a place for him in that team. If you moved Trotman wider and Burn into CB it's likely the starting spot for Thompson would be on the bench. Also after a good performance and goal against Hereford it's hard to put Syers into the above team and on performance both he and Nicholson deserve their places.

Tough decisions for the manager and a tough game too..Hopefully travelling up on the Friday when presumably some Telford players may have worked in the morning may play into our favour. We could really do with a little FA Trophy run for some cash windfall. It's also another season where this is the only possibility of playing pools. Which could make for a great occasion.
Funny isn't it but that team against Telford still looks our best bet to me - maybe with Galbraith for Burn.

Also, I was struck by how much Syers actually won in the air on Saturday, especially in the first half. Just as much as Ainge has been but with obviously more to his game too.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:09 pm

m62exile wrote:
JE93 wrote:Should be an interesting game on Friday. Tbh I think the club made the right call on the game time and pricing. Hopefully we can get at least 1000 in to watch us under the lights.

Funny isn't it but that team against Telford still looks our best bet to me - maybe with Galbraith for Burn.

Also, I was struck by how much Syers actually won in the air on Saturday, especially in the first half. Just as much as Ainge has been but with obviously more to his game too.
We should scrap the 3 at the back, we simply don't have the players to compliment this system and without doubt revert to a back 4.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 pm

JE93 wrote: If you moved Trotman wider and Burn into CB it's likely the starting spot for Thompson would be on the bench.
:o
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
JE93 wrote: If you moved Trotman wider and Burn into CB it's likely the starting spot for Thompson would be on the bench.
:o
And we would lose a very good player, more than likely to S Shields.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Only expecting a crowd of about 8/900 tomorrow. Hopefully they can be rewarded with a win and progression to the new round.

What's the prize money for winning?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:41 pm

3rd qualifying round £5000 1st round proper £6000